• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Owning both systems - but getting the Wii U Version first

Is it worth holding out on getting 3DS Smash to experience the Wii U version first?

• Total voters

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
Smash 3DS will be amazing, but there is something to be said about what it'd be like to experience everything first on the Wii U version. Is it worth the approximate 6-8 week wait to experience that feeling? Or is better to cave and get the 3DS one first?

Last edited:

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Smash 3DS will be amazing, but there is something to be said about what it'd be like to experience everything first on the Wii U version. Is it worth the 6 week wait to experience that feeling? Or is better to cave and get the 3DS one first?
6 week wait?
I didn't think there was a release date for SSBU yet.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
There are people buying the japanese 3ds and game version just to play it 20 days early. I'm sure many people would pay 40$ to get it a month or two early and have it. Then they can play both.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'm getting the 3DS version first since it comes out first.

Plus i need more handheld fighters that i can actually play besides the Jump Super/Ultimate Stars games.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I have a friend who is waiting for the U version despite owning a 3DS.

I still think he's a fool and can't understand voluntarily holding yourself back a month or more on the game's content, practice, and unlocks, but hey, if it floats your boat, go for it.

Devil888

Smash Rookie
I have a friend who is waiting for the U version despite owning a 3DS.

I still think he's a fool and can't understand voluntarily holding yourself back a month or more on the game's content, practice, and unlocks, but hey, if it floats your boat, go for it.
Can unlocks be transferred from 3DS to Wii U, though?

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
Even if I owned a 3DS, I'd still wait for the Wii U version. The idea of playing Smash Bros on a 3DS sounds very impractical to me. I get hand cramps from playing a bit of Mario Kart 7 on my sister's 3DS. I need a proper controller for a game like this and from what I've seen, I won't be missing much if I just pick up the console version.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Yeah, I'm a little bit sad that the 3DS version is coming out first. I can understand why. But I'd really like to experience for the first time on Wii U. But of course I can't let a Smash game be out and not buy it so I'm getting 3DS version on launch and Wii U version on launch. Sad but can't do anything about it.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Can unlocks be transferred from 3DS to Wii U, though?
It's unknown, all that's really assumed is that customizations will transfer.

I'd be a bit more surprised if they DID transfer, but would be fine with them not transferring. Odds are I'd milk the game of all its single player content before going overboard on multiplayer regardless, though.

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
Ever since the release dates were announced in the April, I have been thinking I would wait. But as of today, I've realized I'm not strong enough to. I'm actually going to preorder the 3DS version today. And I'll still be very excited for the Wii U version.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I don't even have a 3DS, so that means I'll be starting my Sm4sh experience on the Wii U. Even if I had a 3DS, I couldn't really see myself playing a game like Smash Bros. on that console personally. Smash Bros. for me has always been a game where my friends come over, or I go to them, and we duke it out behind the TV, where we have lots of space, good laughs and good plays, and having not many friends who own a 3DS doesn't help either. Which means competitively I'll also be using the Wii U version.

To each their own though, having it early for those who own both systems would be tempting indeed, as well as having 'Sm4sh to go' so to speak.

HyrulesLegend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheHyrulesLegend
3DS FC
4253-4618-9274
I'm not getting the 3DS one, all my friends are getting the Wii U one, plus my little brother (Who I play Smash with) would have to get a game as-well (due to no download-play in Smash 3DS). I may get the 3DS one in the future, but so far I'm not getting the 3DS one.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I don't see it as worth the wait, especially if you're planning on watching a ton of footage after it comes out. The console version will still be a new experience with different stages, controls, and different objectives in the challenges section, so I'm not worried about a lack of novelty. Although, technically, I tried the Wii U version first, even if it was only 2 matches at Best Buy.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I definitely admire anyone who has the willpower to not play Smash 3DS for that long. I wish I could, cause I'd definitely rather experience everything on the Wii U first, but there's just no way I can resist.

I'm too weak! OX

EndlessSmash

Smash Cadet
I'm going the extra mile; I got an X/Y 3DS to play smash with AND I'm buying the smash 3DS to play with my sister since we both just can't wait any further (we've been shaving off hype by playing Project M everyday).

I'm essentially buying another 3DS and two copies of smash 3DS (with the Wii-U one already pre-ordered) here. Sakurai's got me by the balls.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I wanted to have a midnight release party with my friends with the Wii U version at first and play the other smash games all day before it came out. Though, that won't really be possible anymore with the 3DS ver coming out first.

Though, even if it came out 1 week early, I don't think I could do it. In the end it's still smash to me so it will be a great first experience regardless.

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I don't see it as worth the wait, especially if you're planning on watching a ton of footage after it comes out. The console version will still be a new experience with different stages, controls, and different objectives in the challenges section, so I'm not worried about a lack of novelty. Although, technically, I tried the Wii U version first, even if it was only 2 matches at Best Buy.
Exactly. You'd have every characters' moves memorized, but even then, the characters will still feel fresh because of different physics and control scheme. Most everything else will be brand new.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
I am so lucky that they announced the new 3ds, or I would be tempted to buy that smash XL bundle. But now that I know the smash XL will soon be outdated, I don't have to worry about the temptations to buy it until after the WiiU version is out! And by the time that happens, all the 3ds hype will have died down and I'll be able to have a clear opinion on the game before making a purchase.

I mean, it sucks that we're not getting the new 3ds with Japan, but...

Top Bottom