• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overwhelmed by ultimate

P10onker

Smash Rookie
I'm struggling to keep up with ultimate

So I've played the game for 2 days straight now and I haven't been able to adapt to the faster pace of ultimate and I can't dash dance and tilt pivot effectively. I'm getting beaten by players who I could defiently beat in 4 and have hardly won online.

Another issue is that I've wanted to main snake and trainer as they're my favourite chars in smash as a whole but I can't seem to just figure them out and it doesn't help there's little to resources atm in terms of basic bnb and setups ect. And even when I go dk or little mac (my smash 4 mains) I still have a tough time dealing with your typical fg warrior that I could easily beat in 4

I'm may not even go to my upcoming locals in a few days just because of how appalling I am atm and its really upsetting me

So I'm just looking for some advice on my situation

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It's a new game. Playing it like Smash 4 is going to hurt you.

Practice the mechanics and then play people that are good. Join a matchmaking server and learn the game.

But really dude it's only day 2. Give yourself a chance.

P10onker

Smash Rookie
It's a new game. Playing it like Smash 4 is going to hurt you.

Practice the mechanics and then play people that are good. Join a matchmaking server and learn the game.

But really dude it's only day 2. Give yourself a chance.
Thanks for the quick reply but the trouble is I'm really trying to get used to the new dash mechanics with snake, squirtle and zard but I just end up doing a very clunky dash dance that usually results in a dash attack instead of a tilt

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I too am having difficulty adjusting but I think it's only natural. Every time there's a new Smash it takes me a while to get adjusted to everything.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Coming from someone whos last smash was brawl, i feel your pain. Im thinking of just unfortunately buying a pro controller because the switch analogs are too small and not precise.

Noso

Hilarious words
NNID
spiritenemy
Time man, just give it some time. Time and repetition will build up muscle memory as well as experience with the new game engine.

And honestly, jumping straight to online with randos is probably the worst idea, you are trying to learn a new game and hurting your progress by learning to fight lag(it's always a losing battle with that one too). also, spend some hours in training mode learning ranges, inputs, etc since assuming if you master the former you will be able to blame a loss on lag lol.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
Note that you are not the only one that is having a hard time adjusting to Ultimate; all of my friends have expressed the exact issue. You have to remember that we either played Melee or Smash 4 for years now, and Ultimate may share the same core concepts as other games but this is a completely new beast due to the changes and polish made. Think of it as breaking in a new pair of shoes; they may feel weird at first, and you may be tempted to go back to your old ones, but once you break them in, they are good to go.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much what everyone else has said.

On the topic of your mains i can give a few tips:

Snake:
-Snake upthrow into uptilt works at low percents. Be extra gamer and follow up with an Upair.
-Nikita Missile is your new best friend. Use it to pressure, kill, edgeguard, as an anti-zoner tool, or even as a ghetto Fsmash. Shield to cancel it, making it drop down, good for suprises or when you are getting rushed.
-Hold B> Shield>A= you just picked up a grenade and can throw it normaly.
-In FFA spam your C4, it is hard to see and can K.O. unaware fighters.
-Practice upsmashing
-Your roll has intangibility on the front, and can kill at the edge of the screen.
-don't Dthrow
-Shorthop Nair. do it.
-Shorthop Fair can kill off the top sometimes.
-You are extremely vulnerable to being juggled. Dair is good to contest.

WiiFitTrainer:
-Dsmash is your best kill move other then Sun
-always try to D special before going in for the kill, it really helps
-In sm4sh Upsmash had I-frames, not sure if it does in this game
-Side Special can snipe people, and the headbutt can spike. You can even cancel it to let the ball fall straight down for edgeguards.
-When recovering mash B
-Nair everything
-Learn your hitboxes and use them to confuse your opponent
-Bury them with jab and then point blank Sun them
-Make sure you are always less confused then your opponent, this is important
-You can play far off the side, go for gimps

Top Bottom