• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Out of order, new matchup thread coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
So like...I beat Neo 2-1 with wolf in a Money Match.
Yesterday this man two stocked Eazy's Marth twice, winning the set 2-0. I think the matchup is 50/50 at worse for Wolf. It's possible that this character is underrated and that his matchups are better than originally decided.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I love how I've been saying that Wolf vs Marth is even at worst for Wolf all the time and now all of a sudden everybody's like "omg atomsk beats neo lololololo". Listen to me, kids!

:059:

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Now, now, don't get off, Gheb. I've said the same or better for Wolf as well. But Pikachu is the current subject, everyone. Someone get Anther. And Omniswell.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Now, now, don't get off, Gheb. I've said the same or better for Wolf as well. But Pikachu is the current subject, everyone. Someone get Anther. And Omniswell.
I wasn't serious ^^

Also, idk about the match-up. You can avoid the CG but ppl don't listen to me :p

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Hi, I know this is totally insignificant but the link to the Falcon discussion actually leads to the Ganon one.

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
I guess it's cause you guys need to start accomplishing things instead of just theorycrafting XD.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I guess it's cause you guys need to start accomplishing things instead of just theorycrafting XD.
Had I known we'd discuss Pikachu, I would have assaulted K9 at the regional finale.

Hi, I know this is totally insignificant but the link to the Falcon discussion actually leads to the Ganon one.
If you're talking about the old MU, it's because no one in SWF knows how to properly link to discussions.

^ No offense Gheb. And I know you're not serious. :p

Arrows

Smash Journeyman
Reflector works wonders on pikas.

Do not use Dair to momentum cancel against pikas, use uair. Dair will get you screwed. Right after you uair, use reflector to avoid thunder.

Bair is good, abuse it. We outrange and outprioritize them on the ground and I think we do in the air... if you can avoid the cg, you'll be fine.

Unfortunately, getting back on stage is a major problem, because of the thunder wall.....
Furthermore, its almost impossible to gimp a pikachu.

55-65/45-35 depending on how much you get grabbed.
Pikas favour.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Wrong i need to stop throwing up right before i get dressed for school. :dizzy:

(And every post after it)
Yeah dude, you really gotta get your immune system checked out... Also, I beat Peter's ICs with Ganon quite a few times today... kinda funny lol.

And yeah, let's try to stay on topic >_> Make future announcements somewhere else or we're all going to get massively sidetracked, the social thread works well.

Uhh yeah, I don't know at what % the cg becomes ineffective, but Pika really does seem to have some killing difficulties if you play it really safe. He can nair out of our upB :( I don't have much experience with the matchup though, so there's not much else I can say...

Arrows

Smash Journeyman
LOL I MEANT
It can be anywhere from
65-35
to 55-45.
Sorry for the random retardness.

It really depends on how good the wolf player is about avoiding grabs.

tedeth

Smash Master
MU is 65-35 imo. You can avoid the grab and beat pika, but if you do happen to get grabbed, pika takes you on an express bus to **** city.

Smashville is **** because you just camp on the platform and can't be cg'd.

EDIT: I played the guy who prolly has the best Pika in our country on SV and was leading for the whole game with blaster camping on the platform. He was under alot of pressure 'till the last stock where i got grabbed and cg spanked. Leaving platform ftl. :(

tedeth

Smash Master
Norfair is like, banned in more and more places. But yeah if it's legal it's a good idea i guess. Just try never to be on the same platform as him and run the timer out lol. I guess battlefield could be used similarly but it would be SUCH a boring game...

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
What did they/we miss? (not sure if I suck at reading or not)
Pikachu can't CG anymore you once you're @ certain %. You don't have to avoid the grab the whole time and you're not insta-screwed if he grabs you. You're only dead if he grabs you at very low %. Just avoid the grab when you're @ low % and once you're past that the CG doesn't work anymore.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Hm...

So, the formula is three down throw > forward throw > many down throws afterward.

And you're saying that at some percent, it doesn't work? What if Pikachu let you out of the CG around sixty? Can he pick the CG up again?

I'd like to figure out what this percentage is that we're safe.

tedeth

Smash Master
Answers to both questions:

Yes, at a certain % it doesn't work because the move will be fresh, casuing more knockback, causing you to be able to get out of it.

Yes, the Pika can pick it up again because the cg is stale move based. As long as they don't hit you with anything else they can regrab and do just as much as if they'd never let you go.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Gheb please stop saying pika can't CG u after certain percents....he can CG after many percents he has one from 0 one at 30 and if its stale like tedeth said he can restart it again...

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Gheb please stop saying pika can't CG u after certain percents....he can CG after many percents he has one from 0 one at 30 and if its stale like tedeth said he can restart it again...
On the other hand, if you're camping hard enough, Pikachu will have to abandon the grab and attack, thus staling it. Think about it, especially if you have a lead and have high stocks. Although, I don't know why he'd let you go in the first place if he got you in the first place.

It starts at zero, correct?

I guess this scenario comes from Pika messing up the chain grab. In that case, just camp / run away. He'll be forced to approach and attack differently, that is if he's desperate.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Excuse me for refusing to give up on a match-up that everybody calls unwinnable, when there are ways around it. That's why Wolves never step it up - because they don't put enough effort into their characters and his match-ups...:(

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Excuse me for refusing to give up on a match-up that everybody calls unwinnable, when there are ways around it. That's why Wolves never step it up - because they don't put enough effort into their characters and his match-ups...:(

ok who said i was giving up on the match up? im jus saying he can CG in many situations is all...i never said its unwinnable. If i gave up on the match up then i wudnt b using wolf id switch to someone better

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Like luigi vs pikachu XD
Stay on topic :<

So I understand that the cg is based on stale moves, but how many? At what % does a fresh dthrow break the chain, at what % can you start with a fresh dthrow without having a later dthrow break the chain? Those sorts of things. The fthrow in the middle shows that you can't have dthrow too stale either, so it's gotta be some sort of balance. Anyone want to go ask the pika boards about it?

Gindler

Smash Champion
Pikachu can't CG anymore you once you're @ certain %. You don't have to avoid the grab the whole time and you're not insta-screwed if he grabs you. You're only dead if he grabs you at very low %. Just avoid the grab when you're @ low % and once you're past that the CG doesn't work anymore.

The CG stops at about 100, usually ending in Nair so you'll be at like 113%ish. After that you have to avoid pika's very few kill moves.

I tried this matchup when a beastly pika showed up in the area, he said without the CG it'd be unwinnable for pikachu (but it's still there soooo :laugh:). I'd say it may be pika's advantage because of stupidness, still having more kill power/weight/and speed (well attack speed) is always nice.

I'll try playing pika's more and see what happens

Arrows

Smash Journeyman
No no, without the CG its NOWHERE near unwinnable for pika. NOWHERE NEAR.
At most 45-55 imo, theres no chance it goes worse than that.

The MU is not unwinnable for us. Pikas grab range is retardebad, and our bair wall usually gets us out of their grab range. That being said, space space space!

EDIT: Atomsk add me on AIM.
Teach me DDD, I'm so balls with him LOL

wolf2557

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom