• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Our Problem Isn't Disunity

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I've been noticing a lot of talk about the disunity between people who prefer Melee over Brawl and vice versa. And I've also been seeing a lot of people advocating unity between the two "factions." But I don't think unity is the issue. There isn't anything wrong with people having differing preferences. The problem is that people aren't accepting of those who don't share their preferences.

I think the knowledge that Sakurai is striving for a balance between the two playstyles should be enough to placate our anxiety. At this point, we would do well to let come what may and make the best of it. We have very little power to influence the direction of the game, and the sooner we realize that and stop being possessive about this game, the sooner we can move on to discuss better things.

If the game ends up being lesser than Melee or Brawl in the eyes of some, who cares? We all have our own standards, whether they reflect Melee or Brawl, or whether they be something more of our own fabrication. I have no doubt that Smash 4 will be a good game. Great, even. For some, it will be the favorite. For others, nothing will be better than Melee or Brawl. There's nothing wrong with that.

But I think it's about time that people stop projecting their preferences as hard fact and pushing them on other people. It's a waste of time, frankly. There's nothing wrong with hoping that the game leans in favor of your prefences, but don't be a prick about it when people disagree, and don't get your panties in a bunch when things end up not leaning in your favor, because somewhere out there, things are leaning in SOMEbody's favor, so there ought to be no saying that Smash 4 is inferior because of it.

... Anywho, I'm not above this either. I have my preferences and I'm guilty of shoving them down other people's throats on occasion. But I just thought maybe a little reminder might help some people out and guide discussion around here in a more profitable and less wasteful direction. Just my 2¢, as usual.

PS: .... y'know it's kinda funny. I find myself more intrigued by social commentary of the community than character speculation. Hmm...

EDIT: btw, hopefully this post isn't too sappy. =P I don't mean for it to be. I just know that sometimes we get caught up in discussion and forget the big picture.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
This post reflects my opinion on the matter. This has been on my mind for a while, but I never got around to talking about it.

Thanks.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
I like melee
I like brawl
I will like SSB4 based on the gameplay currently.

It isnt sappy, its like the newest version of something coming out, some stick to the old, some immediately abandon the old to buy the new, and some try both to see what they like.

Having an opinion on a game is one thing, trying to force others to adapt that opinion isnt good.

Play what you like, ignore the rest unless it negatively impacts you playing the game.

My 2 cents as well.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
"the sooner we realize that and stop being possessive about this game, the sooner we can move on to discuss better things."

This is something I can admit that's challenging, as there are certain things I'd prefer to be consistent and familiar. I'm in agreement, no less, there's a lot to explore beyond our own intimate experiences: exploration of the experiences that others have (and there are many)

Onto the nature of things we could aim to discuss,
One example might be in understanding what exactly character specific system means for in the grand scheme of things. This is something that Sakurai briefly mentioned in his developer direct.

Anything that contributes to random outcomes is beneficial to gameplay, specifically utility in gameplay. How many ways can we explore those outcomes to better our enjoyment from any given experience

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Our problem is tension built from lack of decent online multiplayer! Once we get that we'll all be too busy playing to argue.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
The problems are disunity, and distrust/dishonor/disregard for rules.

If the Smash community wasn't always hating on each other, we'd be in a better place. Likewise, if the Smash community would walk away from he "split 1st place" mentality (and other such behavior), we'd be picked up by more circuits, which means that the community would grow faster.

El Duderino

Smash Ace
Very close to agreeing completely with the OP. I only differ a tad with the outlook on superiority or inferiority. Most game quality comparisons on Smashboards are made from a subjective standpoint. It only makes sense to regard them as personal preferences as well.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I think we might be referring to something different when we use the term "unity." Some mean being of the same mind as you propose, while others like myself mean not fighting and just anticipating this great game together harmoniously.

Terminology aside, I completely agree. I think part of the problem comes from the fact that seeing a new smash game, that one doesn't like as much as the old one, allows one to imagine a smash game that is a hybrid (since even those who profess to like Melee better probably like something from brawl, even if it is something trivial like certain characters) of the two. Thus people may find themselves upset because they have this notion that would make for a really cool game that should exist, and almost does, but doesn't. And then Brawl peeps are all upset because Meleers are upset. I mean not only how dare they be mad, but how dare they be mad about an inferior game. Those ingrates!

Wait what did you say too me Mr. Mumbles? Did you just call Melee inferior! It's go time!

*Several hours of hitting himself later* See. I just got into a fight with myself over it. We just got to cool down our senses of entitlement, and keep our anger in check, even if someone else's complaints seem silly to us.

Top Bottom