• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

...other Charizards...

HD_Vishion

Smash Cadet
NNID
16LetterUsername
So, i am definitely not used to playing against other Charizards online, let alone good ones. I generally get ****in rekt by them.

I think the problem is that I am waaay too aggressive, whereas all these other good Charizards are very conservative and REALLY use their super armor wisely. Like, I feel comfortable at around 150% dmg, no problem.

But this is like, once every 100-200 battles though. I NEVER see anyone else using Charizard...or meta-knight, for that matter.

When I am fighting another Charizard, it is like, REALLY weird hahaha. I dont know what to do! And i assume its like this for, well, everyone i play too, because i assume they never see any Charizards either.

Weird.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Ah it's really just whichever Charizard is lamer will win. Which is why I struggle since I don't wanna play to spam rolls online and such.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
One Charizard should not punish the blocked Flare Blitz of another with its own Flare Blitz. Rather, it should punish such with a running Usmash, unless the punishment is done on a part of the stage and when the opponent is at a certain % such that a Flare Blitz would lead to a KO while a running Usmash would not.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
A Flare Blitz is rarely worth it if you are not going to get a kill with it. Though I would question you as a player if you use Flare Blitz in the first place. Dragon Rush is god.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
A Flare Blitz is rarely worth it if you are not going to get a kill with it. Though I would question you as a player if you use Flare Blitz in the first place. Dragon Rush is god.
Unless OP is playing in FG where Dragon Rush is unavailable.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
That's why you don't play FG. Play against bots instead, at least they are a better challenge.
Not necessarily. Lvl9's are frame perfect and not representive of a sentient opponent. And some attacks a Cpu will never challenge.

You can learn fundamentals yes but otherwise human opponents offer more to learn as well as more stages with different blast zones.

That said. FG is a waste of time.

Davregis

Smash Apprentice
That's why you don't play FG. Play against bots instead, at least they are a better challenge.
bots do nothing but get you into bad habits really, really quickly
on FG there's at least a chance of someone decent- odd timings work wonders

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
bots do nothing but get you into bad habits really, really quickly
on FG there's at least a chance of someone decent- odd timings work wonders
Our best player destroyed everyone here without effort after playing tons after bots. All FG teaches you is how to beat really bad opponents who do nothing but abuse the lag and roll around like idiots. The quality of my game improve a ton after stopping FG.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Our best player destroyed everyone here without effort after playing tons after bots. All FG teaches you is how to beat really bad opponents who do nothing but abuse the lag and roll around like idiots. The quality of my game improve a ton after stopping FG.
Until you come across that one Captain Falcon you just can't compete with...and they are rare.

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
I find the best way to practice is to clone myself and face off against me in a cycle of ten matches, 2 stock, all stages, even the bad ones, because I am the best Charizard I know right now. I'll often win because I know exactly what my clone is going to be doing; I'll always be two steps ahead, but sometimes he'll get smart and stand entirely still, waiting for me to make a move, and then capitalize on my mistakes.

I stopped cloning recently, though. I'm running out of space to hide the bodies.

Lol, nah, I'm kidding. I just release them onto For Glory.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Raise your GSP.

Then try saying that again.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Who is our best player? I'd like to get rekt (probably) sometime.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I play For Glory and against CPUs constantly, and most For Glory players I face are at least better then Lv.9 CPUs.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I play For Glory and against CPUs constantly, and most For Glory players I face are at least better then Lv.9 CPUs.
I used to think so too... until I learned how to punish rolls :/

I can say from experience that at least 90% of people on for glory either have a terrible roll habit, or like to abuse lag to win (switch to Toonlink, ROB, Link, or Little Mac when they lose) only about 10% have solid movement and gameplay mechanics.

(This is going off of 3000+ games of For Glory by the way)

Nowadays when I play For Glory I just use it as practice for punishing other people's mistakes. Most matches I manage to win just by punishing predictable habits alone. If I'm playing Mario he's probably going to roll into me and Dsmash at some point. Once that stops working, he'll try to roll away and spam fireballs, which I'll counter with blitz or fire. Either that or the mario will blindly toss out attacks.

Link will typically spam projectiles while remaining completely stationary. Once you get close they either toss out a smash or roll away. Every once in a while they might grab if they see you approaching with shield.

Little Mac will generally just toss out smashes until they hit. He's got armor and input lag on his side so why not.

Falcon will almost always go for the dash grab approach. Even if it isn't working. It's pretty easy to just toss fire out when he does it.

I'm totes not saying this to bash on any For Glory players or anything. I just wish I had more than college wifi to play on. For Glory is the only thing I can get to work, or else I get an error code. I can connect to a few choice friends online (Leety is one of them), but I'd kill to be able to get on Anther's Ladder or something and have some exciting matches for a change.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
For Glory is better for getting a human element.

Playing against lvl 9 CPUs does not teach you that at all. It is useful to learn that but mix and matching is far better if you want to learn good traits from both.

~

I will concede though smash ladder is far better than both however.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I used to think so too... until I learned how to punish rolls :/

I can say from experience that at least 90% of people on for glory either have a terrible roll habit, or like to abuse lag to win (switch to Toonlink, ROB, Link, or Little Mac when they lose) only about 10% have solid movement and gameplay mechanics.

(This is going off of 3000+ games of For Glory by the way)
I'm not sure if it's because we're fighting people at different times of the day or whatever, but most of the guys I fight on For Glory don't have bad rolling habits. I don't even play online that extremely often, and I still find myself facing plenty of players who can move without rolling. Heck, For Glory even helped me get over my bad rolling habits; I found myself being punished too often, so I started experimenting with other forms of movement out on the battlefield.

Maybe it's impart because those people stick out to me more, maybe it's because I actively look for them...but nonetheless, I really wonder how the ranking thing on For Glory works. Every time I get better, it just feels like my For Glory opponents get better as well.

Last edited:

HD_Vishion

Smash Cadet
NNID
16LetterUsername
I think each opponent, CPUs and players, have things about them that can help you raise your skillz.

Like, for example, a lvl 9 CPU will be able to counter your move the exact moment that you do it. Thats why they are a CPU, they have reflexes as fast as the speed of light. When fighting a CPU, you can become super-conscious of how often you're using moves or movements that can be easily countered by reaction-time based responses.

But a CPU will never be able to anticipate like a human....

.....and then there are amiibos......idfk....i still cannot beat my Bowser one....

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
You know what, screw you all! My Flare Blitz spamming lvl 50 Sandbag amiibo can beat all your Charizards!!!

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
You know what, screw you all! My Flare Blitz spamming lvl 50 Sandbag amiibo can beat all your Charizards!!!
Sandbag is such a broken character, it wouldn't even need to be lv 50 to outperform a Charizard. That's just plain unfair.

Jellydino

Smash Cadet
Zard mirror matches are often won to the more reserved zard. Whenever I play one, I space them out and force them into making mistakes such as jumping to me, using Rock smash, using flare blitz to close gaps and rolling since zard is a huge lizard so his roll is easy to punish with something like your A series or a nair.

I don't really think of being defensive/tactical as being "lame", since I figured that's how you play Zard and it's how I won tournies with Zard. It's just how you'd win mirror matches or against anyone who outspeeds you, which is a whole lot of people, especially considering how common Sonic, Falcon, Fox and ZSS is.

Top Bottom