• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Organizing Pit Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Ok the name sucks. First thing people are going to say is "Stop trying to make things into ATs by giving them a name!" To them I say, shut up. What I'm wanting to do is revamp the "The Ultimate Pit Guide" a tad with an up to date Dictionary of all the terms used when talking about Pit. Examples of what I mean...

Arrow Looping
Arrow Swarming
Arrow Chasing
ect...

I'm not too current with the Pit forum, but it'd be nice to have a thread I (and others obviously) can drop into on occasion to see if there's anything new. For instance, I'm not sure if it's practiced but there's a thing I like to do that I've dubbed "Arrow Procession". Of course there's no way to know if it's something already practiced and certainly no way of finding a discussion on it.

So why name these sorts of things? Well while they're not ATs (and I for one could care less what is and isn't considereed an AT), I find it highly inefficient to have to say, "Fire one to four arrows upward and use a knot/bulb loop to bring them back down." When I could say "Arrow Rain" instead.

To the point though, I'll list all of the "Normal Techniques" I know off the top of my head below. Tell me what I'm missing please.

ART
Arrow Chasing
Arrow Looping
Arrow Swarming
Arrow Procession
Arrow Rain/Blitzing
Wing Renewal
Wind Dashing
Glide Shifting
Angelic Step
Arrow Layering
WoI Canceling
Wing Canceling
Wing Shoving
Wing Lunging
Wing Pivoting
UndrCombo
SlideStepping

I know there's a lot, but again I'd rather memorize a list of techs/mindgames/attcks then having to describe each of them every two posts.

Also I'm waiting for Admiral to see this. I know he's chock full of Pit stuffs! I know a few of his off the top of my head but I'm not sure their status at this point.

EDIT:

Arrow Sticking
Wing Fatigue
Wing Refresh
Orbital Ring

EDIT 2:

Glide Canceling
Arrow Dancing
Wing Stalling
Glide Dashing

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I have been confused about Wing Renewal/Wing Refresh (whichever is which), but I should be able to help out on what most of these things and give details on most of em so that Pit players will know about them

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Wing Renewal - Touching the ground during a WoI to renew your recovery options.
Wing Refresh - Jumping three times after a Wing Renewal to eliminate Wing Fatigue.

Wing Refresh and Wing Fatigue are good examples of non-ATs that would be nice to have posted with definitions. Until you said that I had completely forgotten about the terms.

And Admiral, can you list off the techs you came up with such as Gravity Well and all that? It's probably best coming from you. ^_^

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Okays, and I got new ones thanks to my new "attraction" but tell me how I should format them, and I'll see what I can do.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Eh, however you wish. So long as it's descriptive. However if you want to wait until you "attraction" is unveiled before releasing your awesomeness that's cool too. ^_^

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Well, I can give off a few now

Arrow "Storm" Cyclone
-This was probably a 1-time deal for me. Located in my combo video "Palutena's Last Light" I have looped several arrows, and 3 of them hit a Pit at the same time, same loop. This really won't happen again.

Angelus Sacrificial Ritual (Angelcide)
-Something I would think of saying, when I suicide, but here's a catch. This is Pit to Pit only. As you know, Pit can't use Up-B again if he gets hit outta it. So, for just about every part, I would be in my Up-B state. The opponent's Pit would be in his Up-B state as well, trying to recover. Then I use an aerial (U-air is most common) to sacrifice myself, hit the other Pit, thus killing me and the other Pit. This can also be called (Angelcide)

Orbital "Gravity" Ring
-In my combo video "Palutena's Last Light" you will see that I loop 2 arrows + Angel Ring against a Meta Knight.
The Key thing that's supposed to happen is that the arrows are supposed to knock the opponent back into the angel ring, like a vacuum, which would the Gravity part comes from. Orbital would simply be the arrows looping around, during the angel ring.

Siren of the Heavens "Heaven's Wrath"
-Okay, I completely know that this is a 1-time deal, which I have performed in my Combo video "Palutena's Last Light." Just think 3 arrows coming down via Arrow Rain, hitting the opponent (Mine was a Samus) who was suspended in the air due to being hit by the arrows, and then me finishing it off with an F-air.

This works, right? I do this for the rest of the stuff, right?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Arrow Cyclone seems to just be an Arrow Swarm that successfully hit their target right? Or is there more to it?

Angelus Sacrificial Ritual is a good one to add. Even though it's only applicable against Pit, Ness, and Lucas.

Orbital Ring is definitely one to add too.

Siren of the Heavens though seems like it's just a successful Arrow Rain. Just that the last arrow was Arrow Chased right?

Anyway, "Orbital Ring" is a MUST. It's an awesome application of Arrow Looping and isn't easy to describe. Though I'll be honest, wouldn't saying "Used WoI to hit my opponent out of his WoI" be nearly as simple as saying, "Angelus Sacrificial Ritual"? lol

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Lets see...

Orbital Ring:
-Think of it as Arrow Looping + Angel Ring. You continue to loop the arrow while holding Angel Ring, can sometimes confuse opponents that aren't behind you. This is pretty decent when edgeguarding.

Anything else? T-T

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'd add something about it forcing your opponent to slow their approach; protect you from the front; protect you against projectiles, and mask your arrows movements. But we can worry about how to word it later. ^_^ Anything else in your vast well of Pit knowledge?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Is the "Undrcombo" where you use AR across the ice on PS2?
lol No.

UndrCombo = Arrow-Arrow-Arrow-Arrow-Arrow-Arrow-Arrow-any attack (including an arrow)

Arrow Rain one to four arrows, and in between each hit with the raining arrows, hit with another arrow. If done right the hitstun should be distributed evenly enough to make it inescapable, and a true combo. ^_^ I've been pulling it off since I suppose October of last year. It wasn't until I think C3 that people started calling it the "UndrCombo". =P

And while I'm explaining things, is there already a name for chasing an Arrow Rain with a glide? So that the arrows are falling down in front of you as you move forward? I've been calling it "Arrow Procession" for a while now but not sure if I've ever made a video or even posted about it on here.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
Arrow Rain one to four arrows, and in between each hit with the raining arrows, hit with another arrow. If done right the hitstun should be distributed evenly enough to make it inescapable, and a true combo. ^_^ I've been pulling it off since I suppose October of last year. It wasn't until I think C3 that people started calling it the "UndrCombo". =P
That is just too beast for words to explain.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Like any other Arrow tech every moment of the attack is voluntary. If I feel threatened I can recoil back and a defensive mindset. Or offensive, which makes for some great mindgames. Particularly when you fake attempt this. People see this as a "free hit" when in fact they're both dropping their guard and running right at you.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
So, nothing from the peanut gallery? If there's seriously nothing more to add I'll start making my own summaries of each of these terms. And if you all want, write your own too so we can get the best definitions possible.

EDIT: R@vyn's such a 'tard.

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
I dont see arrow sticking , even though its more of a random occurance.

That thing with sliding when you land a glide by attacking while horizontal to the ground to create a slide. I dont remember the official name for it (I usually call it glide-dashing) since ive heard a few names for it and got confused.

I might remember more later

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Seriously, I received TWO infractions for one post? What the heck is wrong with Smashboards!?

I'll add Arrow Sticking to the list. And I didn't even know that there was a term for the slide after the glide. lol

Snopy

Smash Apprentice
Ehm, I guess these ones aren't mentioned yet:
- Glide Cancel
- Arrow Building
- Arrow Dancing/Stalling
- Wing Stall/Momentum Cancelling

Also... when you use the WoI near the edge to grab it quicker, is there a name for it already?

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
Seriously, I received TWO infractions for one post? What the heck is wrong with Smashboards!?

I'll add Arrow Sticking to the list. And I didn't even know that there was a term for the slide after the glide. lol
Well when brawl fisrt came out it was called wingdashing alot, but the pits sorta stole that name for themselves.

Hence why I call it glide-dashing

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'll add all that was mentioned to the list.

Definition of Arrow Building? Oh isn't that Arrow Layering? Or is Arrow Layering not the correct name?

Ayoub

Smash Ace
Ehm, I guess these ones aren't mentioned yet:
- Glide Cancel
- Arrow Building
- Arrow Dancing/Stalling
- Wing Stall/Momentum Cancelling

Also... when you use the WoI near the edge to grab it quicker, is there a name for it already?
WoI-to-grab-the-edge-faster, pretty nice name.

Afropony

Smash Lord
I wouldn't call Glide Cancelling an AT it's just pressing "B" in the air, it's even in the little handbook thing!

If that's what Glide Cancelling is*

Snopy

Smash Apprentice
@ Undrdog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLuf4UOsQ6Q
I tought the name is "Arrow Building".

@ Ayoub
Since there's a name for nearly everything Pit can do, I think there should be one for this, too. But I guess "WoI-to-grab the-edge-faster" is the easiest name to remember. XD

@ Afropony
"Glide Canceling

Description- This is a technique used to stop Pit (or any glider) from crashing into the ground with zero lag. And can even slide along the ground giving you slight forward momentum.

How to perform- Simply attack before you hit the ground. Causing zero lag and allowing you to any attack to be preformed out of it.

Use- Comboing and causeing you to recover from a glide with no lag."

/from the Pit Guide

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Now you see, I thought Glide Canceling as you've described it Snopy was called Glide Sliding. After no one ever used it I kinda forgot about it having a name at all. Anyway debate on this for a bit. lol

I remember there being a thread on Arrow Layering. I think it was called "A New Way To Arrow Swarm?" or something along those lines. The creator I believe asked for a name or something. In the end we ended up suggesting names for whatever reason. After which I thought Arrow Layering is what stuck. Also I remember myself suggesting the name "Angelic Layering" based after an anime. (An anime btw that reminds me of Smash every time I watch it.) However Arrow Building is not only a topical name, but is named after the very person who came up with it.

Also, what about "WoI Hogging" for grabbing the edge from the WoI? lol I honestly think this would be a good tech to give a proper term to. It's something every Pit should know about and use. By giving it a name, and thereby placing it in the Dictionary, people will be more likely to learn about it.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Arrow Building does not exist. It's called Arrow Swarm. Not much I can say to help since I really lost confidence due to the lack of some special Pit stuff.

Afropony

Smash Lord
Yeh, I thought Glide-sliding was when you attack just before you hit the ground.
What would you call gliding and then pressing B even if it's not an AT?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Glide Canceling I suppose. /is confused at this point

As for Arrow Layering, otherwise known as Arrow Building. It is a form of Arrow Swarming. A method of Arrow Swarming to be more precise.

Snopy

Smash Apprentice
WoI Hogging sounds good in my opinion. And about the "Arrow Swarming" thing, I think Arrow Layering is the best name.

Besides, I have another suggestion:
When you dash in one direction and the immediatly use AR in the other direction, like you can see in this CV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJRRDCC9huI.
I don't know if there's a name for it already, but I guess it would be Reverse Angel Ring.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Besides, I have another suggestion:
When you dash in one direction and the immediatly use AR in the other direction, like you can see in this CV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJRRDCC9huI.
I don't know if there's a name for it already, but I guess it would be Reverse Angel Ring.
It's called a B-Reversed Angel Ring. Can be done with Arrows and Mirror Shield too.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Well not sure if I can go over all of that now, but that's definitely something to consider when throwing together the final product.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
When do you plan on adding definitions to all these ATs?

it's pretty useless to have a dictionary with no definitions.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
As of right now I'm trying to get people to gather up all of the stuff available. In a weeks time I'll change the name of the thread and place all of the information in the first post. ^_^

Snopy

Smash Apprentice
bump*
Well, again something came into my mind. <:
It's not something new, it's actually pretty known. But noone mentioned it so far. However, I think it's important to write it down, as it's simply one of the most effective things Pit can do and every Pit Player should know about it. Even when it's not hard to do.

I'm talking about Shooting Arrows from the Edge. Pit can max. shoot 3 Arrows before he has to grab the Edge again. He can also Jump away and shoot one Arrow, to avoid long-ranged Attacks. Je.. that's basically everything I wanted to say. XD

Ayoub

Smash Ace
bump*
Well, again something came into my mind. <:
It's not something new, it's actually pretty known. But noone mentioned it so far. However, I think it's important to write it down, as it's simply one of the most effective things Pit can do and every Pit Player should know about it. Even when it's not hard to do.

I'm talking about Shooting Arrows from the Edge. Pit can max. shoot 3 Arrows before he has to grab the Edge again. He can also Jump away and shoot one Arrow, to avoid long-ranged Attacks. Je.. that's basically everything I wanted to say. XD

Thats just, edge-camping/stalling? xD

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
WoI-hogging should be called "wing-grabbing". Also, I wish "wing renewing" had a shorter name like a verb with four letters (e.g. just "wing"). However, "wing" isn't great because it's synonymous with "clip" or "trim" (but not in the "cutting" way). e.g. I "winged" him when I missed the wall with the sledgehammer and now he's in triage.

Each number is a response to a correspondingly-numbered post:

1. It's funny that we even need a terminology dictionary.
We have names for loops now?
I think the "Angel Ring Tech" should be called a "wave(-)ring" because it slides like a wavedash, it's nostalgic and it is more easily spoken.
Arrow-looping and arrow-swarming are similar. I would just call the latter "multi-arrow-looping".
Wind-dashing is wing-dashing (across the stage) or a typo?
"Angelic step" (4 syllables) has more syllables than "spot-dodge-shift" or "spot-dodge-step". Arrow layering? I would call this arrow rain if I know my stuff.
"WoI Canceling" and "Wing Canceling" are different? Is the first just attacking in mid-air while using the WoI (to cancel it to prevent going into a "special" fall where you can't do anything except DI)?
Is wing-canceling "wing-dashing" or doing a Dair or even Uair just before hitting the ground to leave the blue wings-state while landing with no lag?
That reminds me, you forgot "dive-bombing" or just "diving".
And I feel like I'd rather call "wing-dashing" "wing-canceling" because it is a more literal name.
Is SlideStepping or "Angelic Step" where you gain greater distance with the spot-dodge? Is there a name for the distance gained while repeatedly using a Dtilt (with MK, Marf, etc.)?
Is wing-lunging (which reminds me, you forgot "wing-parry") where you wing-jump (new term for when you are automatically launched upward when activating WoI from the ground) and attack (the person on the ground), B-wing (new term, a shortened name for activating or using the WoI. "B" for "blue" as his wings are sparkly blue in this state.) in the air for better DI to attack (as Sagemoon often did) or both? I'm thinking it's the former, in which case the latter needs a name because it's so **** useful. i.e. B-wing to wing-pivoting a Bair or other aerial (usually a Fair).
An alternate name for UndrCombo (not an actual replacement because you deserve it) could be "arrow stigmata".
Alternate name for "arrow-sticking", "infinite arrow".
Glide-dashing is glide-canceling, i.e. I'd say glide-cancel not glide-dash, i.e. the act, not the result.
So, because the name "wing-stalling" is taken, I'll have to call ledge-camping with Pit and the WoI "wing-planking"?

2. That's part my fault, sorry. I mistermed the names in my instructional videos ("Dihgal" on YouTube) but I have recently made the long-needed fix. Thanks to Undrdog.

7. Angelus Sacrifical Ritual = Mutually-assured Destruction (M.A.D.). I think it'd be better to teach this term (although it's cool to learn "angelus" is true latin for "angel") as it is an important term to learn in this Nuclear computer era.
Perhaps you can even call it "Heaven's MADness" or something. The part I don't like about that is, thematically, it doesn't fit because you're falling rather than performing an attack from above like heaven would. That would be more like a Pikachu running out to a distance where they couldn't recover after performing a "Thunder" attack to hit someone such as Ness, Lucas, Pit in their third-jump. Zeus and clouds shoot lightning bolts.

24. So, what do you call canceling the glide (with the "special" (default: "B" - GameCube controller) or X/Y jump-buttons.) normally? Glide-canceling with an attack needs a new name then. Glide-attack-cancel = GAC. :/ Actually, that isn't that bad because it's literal and easy to remember in real life and a unique acronym in text.
Hell, glide-sliding fits perfectly there, now that I see it.

33. I didn't know it could be done with the Mirror Shield (or Arrows, but that's less important as I just short-hop and turn around)! Nice.

38. Ledge-hop arrow. What is needed is a name for being able to ledge-hop and grab the ledge again in the same jump. This is similar to auto-canceled aerials. 'Suppose we call it "cyper"-*airing? Nah, j/k. I would call it "auto-ledging". However, this doesn't cover Pit shooting multiple arrows and regrabbing the ledge. I would call that "3-arrow auto-ledging" or "3-arrow ledge-stalling" or "3-arrow wing-grab ledge-stalling". I prefer the first and third over the second (middle). I auto-wing-grab everything, BTW.

Lastly, you can call screwing someone up with a wing-shove or wing-parry to their death as "wing-gimping". As in, I wing-gimp Lucases and Nesses on Wifi "With Anyone" all the time off the ledge by moving their body so they misPK-thunder themselves or wing-parrying their PK-thunder. I even get some free kills on Wifi "With Anyone" "wing-gimping" when I "wing-jump" out of a shield to "wing-parry" or "wing-shove" my opponents away so I can escape thereby knocking them off the ledge if they're close to one and a buffered attack of theirs prevents them from using a recovery move immediately as they struggle to reach the now-far ledge with their weak recovery move. (I hope you got all that. I tried to make it clear. I don't see how it's hard to understand, personally.)
Reflecting with the Mirror Shield can be called "Mirror-Shine" which I think I mentioned once a long time ago.
Oh, and you can call using Pit's Mirror Shield's SAF (super-armor frames) to avoid knockback "Mirror-armor" or "Mirror-parrying".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom