• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Smash Community [OSC] - Oregon's official Smash Community est. 2005

TheTitan99

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2818-2251-5901
Only just moved to Portland. Have no car, have to use buses/trains/ect. I'm seeing a ton of stuff posted here, buts its all, like, 3-5 hours away from me, according to google, which seems to REALLY underestimate Portland mass transit times.

Called up GuardianGames, they say they're done with Smash forever. Called up DiscHeroes, they said they're on an indefinite hiatus, but may start up again in August... Maybe... Certainly isn't listed on their website! Tried to join that Melee facebook page, you know, the Iceman one, but I'm stuck on Pending approval, so I can't see anything. The listings on the right side of the page that I CAN see are all really old too, 2014 at the newest, and 2011 at the oldest, which is worrisome. Checked on reddit, just found some outdated 1 time tournaments that have already happened.

Just looking for, really, anything Melee or PM, friendlies or serious. Doubt I'd make it far in a tournament, but I'd be willing to try. Heck, I don't even know anyone in this area yet, really, so I'd probably be fine with 64, Brawl, or WiiU as well. Just not 3DS, since I don't own it, and I doubt people would like me stealing their handhelds.

I may at some time want to try to set up something on my own. But I need some more working equipment before I can even consider doing anything like that.

Gamepadnews

Smash Cadet
Big City Gamin' is scheduled for construction this month, so no event can be held there. We will update with further information on our next event.

RtG4
12:00 NOON @ Big City Gamin'

1288 Willamette Street

Eugene Oregon

$10 to enter
Bring your own controller and a setup.
Smashboards Page

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
Only just moved to Portland. Have no car, have to use buses/trains/ect. I'm seeing a ton of stuff posted here, buts its all, like, 3-5 hours away from me, according to google, which seems to REALLY underestimate Portland mass transit times.

Called up GuardianGames, they say they're done with Smash forever. Called up DiscHeroes, they said they're on an indefinite hiatus, but may start up again in August... Maybe... Certainly isn't listed on their website! Tried to join that Melee facebook page, you know, the Iceman one, but I'm stuck on Pending approval, so I can't see anything. The listings on the right side of the page that I CAN see are all really old too, 2014 at the newest, and 2011 at the oldest, which is worrisome. Checked on reddit, just found some outdated 1 time tournaments that have already happened.
Don't be too dismayed, there are plenty of good tournaments for Smash in Oregon - although I feel like the community is a bit scattered recently. The main issue with the Portland area is they seem to be losing their venues due to not managing the events properly (noise, smoking, etc.) since Smash events can get an excitable crowd, which essentially means you'd be looking to travel to Seattle, Salem, or Eugene for any notable tourney anytime soon until something can be settled up there. Would you be ok with carpooling to events? Very often we all just rideshare or take a bus to events.
Also wondering did Guardian Games say why they were not going to have Smash ever again?

Just looking for, really, anything Melee or PM, friendlies or serious. Doubt I'd make it far in a tournament, but I'd be willing to try. Heck, I don't even know anyone in this area yet, really, so I'd probably be fine with 64, Brawl, or WiiU as well. Just not 3DS, since I don't own it, and I doubt people would like me stealing their handhelds.
If you need a 3DS to play some Sm4sh on I might be able to help you out with that. Just let me know.

I may at some time want to try to set up something on my own. But I need some more working equipment before I can even consider doing anything like that.
There are people who would be willing to help you out. Maybe once you settle a bit in the Community you'll have some idea of what you may like to do in the scene. Just post something here with any questions or requests and I'm sure someone will help you out - we all try to do our part.

Last edited:

TheTitan99

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2818-2251-5901
Yeah, I'd be fine with carpooling. It certainly would get rid of the distance issue. The bus travel times were the problem. At least in my location in Portland, very very few of these posted events are even within 2 hours.
And, no idea about Guardian Games. The store just opened, so I didn't wanna hog the phone line too long. Opening shifts can be rough enough without some yahoo on the phone bugging you about Smash Bros.

Oh, I own a 3DS, just not Smash 3DS. I've played it before, found the controls a little awkward, and just never saw too much of a point in getting it, what with the WiiU version that I could always play with a friend whenever I wanted to.

As of right now, I can't even PLAY at my own apartment, due to screen issues. Trying to find something that can transfer Wii input to a monitor/speaker. But. besides that, I appreciate the offer. It's nothing to think about right now, though. Maybe some time from now... But that's a big maybe. New job, new house, new everything for me right now, so I cannot in good faith be planning anything big. No way I could guarantee coming through with it.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
I think I accepted you into the facebook group just now. We lost Guardian games, because we got too big for us. They couldn't handle 100+ people. We lost Red Castle for the same reason. Disc Heroes is on hold for a little bit. I think the main host is taking a break. We lost our best venue, because of some misconduct with the attendees. We're working on finding a new venue, but it's pretty hard to find one in Portland for some reason. Rumor has it that an E-Sports Bar is opening up pretty soon and they're very interested in Smash

T0MMY

Smash Master
Well, I lent my 3DS to someone so they could play Smash but I think they moved (or are moving) and decided to keep it... so probably won't be able to get one for you afterall.

@ Peach Masta Peach Masta Was wondering if there was an issue that could be worked out for losing the venues but it sounds like there just needs to be enough space and nobody minds the noise then it should all be good.
E-Sports bar sounds like it would be a good place for Smash, the main problem with our barcade weekly is it is 21+ so it cuts out a good % of Smashers, which I feel like the majority of the demographic are under 21.

Edit: is that a new sig pic and I am just so oldschool I didn't realize how oldschool that pic is? Or have you had that sig for a decade now? haha

Last edited:

Hellghaust

Smash Rookie
Yo I'm a smasher from The Netherlands who is coming over to Portland, Oregon in two weeks. Will there be any tournies in Portland or in the area around this time?

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
probably not a tournament, but we could get a big smashfest going. Join the facebook group if you have one and we can see if something can get set up

Also, nah tommy, I've had that sig since I like first started haha

T0MMY

Smash Master
This site is like the beacon for Smash. Most of the important talk about the game meta and mechanics happen on these boards but the social part of it seems to play out mainly on social media sites. I miss the golden years where Smash was entirely grassroots, makes me wonder where things will be in another 10 years. Mostly thinking about where things are headed with Nintendo after Satoru Iwata's passing since he was such a big part in decisions with Smash, I don't even think the game as we know it would exist today if it weren't for him.

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
I'm going to be traveling up to Portland from the 9th->15th from Austin; are there any weeklies or other tournaments for Smash Wii U around Oregon or southern Washington going on in that time frame? From what I gathered, it sounds like venues in Portland are currently an issue, but I'm willing to drive a little if needed.

T0MMY

Smash Master
@ Peach Masta Peach Masta
Date/Address?
What's the Smash Wii U rules used? I don't want to attend Customs tournaments, but would also like a link to a ruleset to see if any weird rules might be added. Too many fringe rules being used to just jump in and play like the old days.

lil372590

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
We couldn't find any good venue that was open to us on Saturday. This place is huge, like bigger than Fight or Flight huge and it's a completely open property where we don't have to worry about being too loud or too big

T0MMY

Smash Master
We couldn't find any good venue that was open to us on Saturday. This place is huge, like bigger than Fight or Flight huge and it's a completely open property where we don't have to worry about being too loud or too big
Sounds good, hope the sunday schedule works. A lot of venues have told me they prefer a sunday event, so if that works for everyone than so much the better.
Only 2 weeks away, hope the SSB4 rules are decided on soon - any estimates on turnout for SSB4 or is this an emphasis on Melee only?

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
I think they're looking to get a large group for every game. Kind of trying to revitalize every thing in the area, since it's been so long since we've had anything. There's 122 rsvp'd and 43 maybe at this moment, so who knows. I'd say 50-70 is a decent guess on the events attendance. I think there was some talks of a crew battle for smash 4 as well

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
I think they're looking to get a large group for every game. Kind of trying to revitalize every thing in the area, since it's been so long since we've had anything. There's 122 rsvp'd and 43 maybe at this moment, so who knows. I'd say 50-70 is a decent guess on the events attendance. I think there was some talks of a crew battle for smash 4 as well
That's cool, since we have like a dozen or more people at our wednesday night barcade weeklies and Salem Smashfest gets 40+ at their weeklies I'm sure a big town like Portland should be able to pull in a good amount. I'll see if any of the SSB4 Smashers in Eugene are going so we can get a carpool up there.

T0MMY

Smash Master
So Oregon doesn't have a monthly for August? Something should happen - too many itchy SSB4 players right now asking me to host and I don't wanna, haha.
Who's going to step in and get something running? Or should we just have a 50+ weekly in Salem X^)

T0MMY

Smash Master
Sorry, can't attend FoF4 due to it being scheduled on the same day as PAX's Twitch-sponsored $10,000 tournament I got sponsored to attend. Also scheduled same day as a Splatfest on Splatoon.
Gotta go where the competition calls, and Paragon the week after! Someone else will have to win this one - good luck!

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
What a big month for Smash 4 tournaments!
First EVO, then PAX, and then Paragon. And of course tomorrow there's Battlegrounds, up in WA. And I hear the Salem Smashfest on the 19th is going to be pretty hype!

Last edited:

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
What a big month for Smash 4 tournaments!
First EVO, then PAX, and then Paragon. And of course tomorrow there's Battlegrounds, up in WA. And I hear the Salem Smashfest on the 19th is going to be pretty hype!
Salem Smashfest on the 19th can't be that cool since I'm going to annoy everyone. Kappa

Top Bottom