• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon PR! updated 10/17/2014

JonnyW

Smash Ace
My 10 list
1.Eggz - Its pretty obvious that he is the best smasher in Oregon, even if he just moved here he should probably be number one.

2.Foos - Foos has gotten first and second at the last two tournaments and keeps getting second in doubles. Lately he has really good placings and beats pretty much everyone (Juce, Binx, Myself, Keeper, Eggz sometimes.) I think that if anyone is going to beat Shane regularly it will be him. On top of that Foos keeps getting better every time I play with him. I feel like most people on the PR have stayed the same but Foos has defiantly gotten better.

3.Jonny Win - I put myself as number three for a few reasons. Every tournament i have entered in Oregon since I started smashing again I have gotten top 5 (Except the one where a lot of Washington came down, I got 7th but only lost to washington players Prime and Toph). I have beaten everyone on the PR in either a tournament bracket, a BestBout smashfest bracket, or a money match (except Gage but he refuses to play singles). I beat Jesse more then he beats me and I've knocked Kyle out of the last 2 tournaments. With Binx and Mihn moving down or off the PR I feel like I should move up to at least third or fourth because of being active and extremely consistent tournament placings.

4.Juce - Juce got third at the tournament yesterday and lost to Eggz and Foos. He is really good but still inconsistent sometimes. He always loses money matches to me but I never really see him lose to anyone else (except eggz and foos). Hes been one of the best in Oregon forever so im sure most people believe he should at least be in the top 5.

5.Ratking - Ratking is pretty consistent and always places pretty high. From what I have seen he doesn't lose to random people. He also has a pretty good chance of beating people who ive placed above him (Myself, Juce, Foos, etc.) Because of that I believe he should at in the top 5.

6.Keeper - Keepers good. He says that he plays badly sometimes. I'm not sure if he is inconsistent or what but he usually makes it pretty far in the bracket. The reason im putting him at sixth is because ive never seen him beat Ratking or Juce. I feel like he is not willing to show his skills (He never wants to money match me :( ) unlike everybody else I put in the top 5 who always wants to money match.

7.Mihn - Mihn is super good. im not sure if hes even gonna be active at all but at defiantly deserves to be at least seventh. Ive played him so little so its hard to judge where he might be now but the last time I played him at a BestBout smashfest I beat him.

8.Binx - Same deal as with Mihn. Ive been trying to money match binx foreeever but he somehow never has money. He said he'd beat me in a falcon ditto MM which i seriously doubt and would love to see it. He also has been so inactive its hard to judge where he is considering so many people have gotten better. He shouldn't be a panelist to the PR because its to much responsibility for him (He hasn't shown up to any tournaments in awhile). Hes a nice guy but needs to be more consistent with showing up.

9.Catphysician - This guy deserves way more credit then anyone gives him. He beat me in the tournament yesterday and got 5th. He has defiantly gotten good enough to be on our PR. Ive seen him go pretty even with everyone ive listed (except for maybe keeper). He is good and is getting better.

10.Bird/Allen? - Haven't played these guys in awhile now so I can't really say how good they are. I'm sorry to say I have major doubts about them though because of how the Portland scene is compared to the Corvallis scene. Everybody in portland smashes together frequently and are all getting better together. Its hard for me to believe that Allen and Bird could get better at the same pace when only playing each other and the few other smashers in Corvallis (I dont really know any of them). In the last few tournaments I saw them come to they didn't do to well (I think Bird got last or close to it). So I can't even say they are consistent. I REALLY wish they would come and smash more at BestBout. Allen seems like one of the nicest smashers ive ever met (Even as nice as Foos). As soon as they come to something in Portland I need to MM them.

edit:god i hate making long posts lol.

Binx

Smash Master
I don't ever have money because my loan hasn't gone through this term due to a very long series of ridiculous events. Hopefully I will have some soon, I don't remember ever claiming I could beat you in a Falcon ditto money match.

My inconsistency lately has been due to me trying to adopt a new playstyle, when I played normally like last wed I was doing pretty well, I still make a lot of technical errors which irks me and I wish I could find the time to bust those down in training mode, that being said I still feel like most of the people between 3-10 can beat eachother on any given day. The only people that really stand out are eggz and jesse who both perform really well all the time.

Foos has always been really good and has hit some new heights lately and he could maybe be number 3, I believe I ranked him higher than any other panelist did in our first PR that we made. I believe in Foos.

As far as 4-10 I dont think much has changed, Foos maybe does or maybe doesn't knock the rest of us down, I would be fine assuming he does, my inactivity lately has just been due to some pretty ****ty luck with school and homework timings.

Minh is still up there in the top 5 regardless of activity, when he actually takes an hour or so to warm up before a tournament he ***** most of us.

so my list would prolly be
Eggz
Jesse
Minh
Foos
Binx
Jonny
Kyle
Keeper
Cat
Box

keeper

Smash Champion
6.Keeper - Keepers good. He says that he plays badly sometimes. I'm not sure if he is inconsistent or what but he usually makes it pretty far in the bracket. The reason im putting him at sixth is because ive never seen him beat Ratking or Juce. I feel like he is not willing to show his skills (He never wants to money match me :( ) unlike everybody else I put in the top 5 who always wants to money match.
I beat Ratking when he was playing poorly once and I've been taking games off of Jesse for about a year or my games with him are generally close. I'm not saying "place me higher >=(" but I felt the need to tell you.

I beat Ratking in the most hardcore mm ever (1 penny). Hurr
I hate money matches.

My inconsistency lately has been due to me trying to adopt a new playstyle
I feel like this is a bad excuse/reason. I don't consider smash, especially melee, to be a game where success is based on play style, but rather smart, overall good play. I think there's mostly a clear cut right and wrong way to play, even if the "wrong" is played really well. A good example would be Minh playing super aggressive. This isn't to say he's bad at all, especially considering I feel he uses a character that makes it work (Falco especially does aggression better than the entire cast, then super technical Fox makes it work) and he does it well. However, give him a player that knows exactly what to do, he'll find the times the aggressor messes up spacing and is susceptible, and then punish accordingly (Falco is easy to gimp, but not particularly punish in all situations or positions).

I suppose another example for "right" would be with a couple falcon players. As much as I don't like him, Hax plays Falcon generally how I'd define "ideal" in the character's case. He plays a passive style that looks to exploit mistakes on the other player, and then gets the punish. All of his approaches are apprehensive in the correct way and don't really open him up to being hit. I feel like Postman plays in a similar way, but I think he's a much cooler individual and given more experience will get much better based on his approach to the game.

I hope this makes sense.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Lol Jonny have you ever beaten Bird?

I understand we haven't played you guys in a while, but to be fair all of the tournaments have been up in Portland. As far as I know, you have never beaten Bird in a tournament set.

Other than that, I agree with your list for the most part.

Binx:
I'm pretty sure even Postman would agree that putting him above Paul and I is bull****.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Alright going to post my top 10 list for this ranking period:

1) Shane: I don't care what the rankings say on this one when he's sober he's easily the best player in Oregon, he did win the last tournament so results are on his side now.

2) Jesse: I may have beat him at the last 2 events but at best bout 7 I was playing extremely well while he was making some mistakes, at best bout 8 I was playing like usual and he was making major mistakes. It'l clear to me that if he hadn't sd'd so much he would have won.

3) Foos: I place myself here because I feel I've improved a little bit took Shane to game 5 yesterday at best bout 8 while he was sober feel like I could have reset it on him but 1 mistake on shane cost me a stock.

4) Jonny: This one is tough for me to judge between jonny and ratking, they both have really close sets and beat the same people and place about the same. Only reason I'm placing jonny higher on this is because he has beat ratking in the last 2 best bouts and ended up placing higher than him in tournament.

5) Ratking: Pretty much read above I could see him being fourth place no problem, I could even see him moving up to 2nd next update. He plays against Jesse so much he has one of the best chances at legitimately beating him in tournament even when Jesse is playing well.

6) Keeper: Generally makes it pretty far in bracket, tied for 5th at jan bb with kyle so I feel he's a pretty solid choice for this spot.

7) Binx: I ended up moving Binx down due to not making a tournament this ranking period, sad to say but I understand stuff comes up especially with school and all. I would like to see him come to a tournament and just blow people up with wobbles and smashes and make his way back into top 5.

8) Minh: Read above minus wobbles and smashes replace with lasers and smashes.

9) Allen: Made it to December Best bout which is on this ranking period there was some discussion last night if the last tournament you made it to was November or not but good ol' research has saved the day, anyway Allen has made strong showings time and time again, actually last time we played he beat me. I don't think I've ever seen him place below top 10, tied for 5th with Ratking at December best bout. Hope you can make it to more tournaments these next few months we need to play some more soon :D

10) Dr. Cat Dr. PhD: I think everyone underestimates cat, he has been getting really good lately, there was a period of time about a month ago where I just couldn't beat him. He was placing about the same as debaser if not higher and seeing as how debaser has left us for idk how long I but cat at 10 seems about right I wouldn't be surprised to see him moving up soon with how fast he's been improving. Sad to hear he's leaving to go back to Alaska soon :(

I was gonna do an honorable mentions list but I'll save it for the actual list.

Edit: Also Allen, Jonny has placed higher than bird at tournaments that they have both been at and beating the people that bird lost to.

The Jizzard

Smash Journeyman
@binx: i dont see how adapting a new play style should inhibit attendance. if anything i would expect someone to show up more so that they can test out that play style.

@allen: all the tournaments are in portland because thats the only place they are being organized. granted it is like a 1:30 drive (it takes about 3:30 to get to GC...just sayin) but until corvallis or eugene hosts stuff i dont see how saying "yea i havent been showing up because the tournaments arent in the city i live in" is an excuse.
that being said im sure if you guys host a tournament people from portland would gladly show up!!!!

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
I think for Binx and Minh's rankings the best we can do is rank them just below the people who are about on their level. For example, Minh hasn't come to a tournament in a while and we've all been playing without him, but we can still assume he's better than, say, me. But it wouldn't be fair to rank him above anyone who he isn't without a doubt better than. So now we need to come to an agreement on where to draw that line.

So far we have Jonny saying that line is just above me and below Keeper. This is right where I would say it is. Foos says the line is just below keeper as well. Binx's list seems radically different, though. Instead of keeping himself and Minh together as the other lists do, he puts Minh all the way up in 3rd place, above Foos, and puts himself just below Foos. So this list is arguing that Minh is without a doubt better than Foos, Keeper, Jonny and Kyle. That definitely doesn't sound right to me, because those are all great players who can definitely give Minh a run for his money. I don't know Minh as well as Binx does but I played him in friendlies for a half hour or so recently at Kyle's and took a decent amount of matches off him. And I'm just a humble cat doctor. He doesn't seem to be quite as legendary as Binx regards him.

Binx's list also argues that Binx is without a doubt better than Jonny, Kyle and Keeper. Does anyone else agree with that? Seems to me that they are all pretty close, but feel free to prove me wrong because I don't have all the info.

cmin

Smash Ace
This game is too subjective to be able to make such an accurate PR. In order for us to be objective as possible, just keep the people that go to tourneys in on top 10. If they don't show up it's not fair for others. That includes myself.

As for attendance to tourneys, I'm pretty much done with the game except for random get togethers. So you can just remove me from the list completely. I'm too busy all the time and will probably never have a Saturday off devoted to tournaments, this way you guys have one less person to try to rank and save yourselves a headache.

Johnny: do you purposely spell my name wrong to be funny lol? Johnny

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Here's my list so far, with Minh off:

Eggz
Juce/Foos
Rat/Jonny
Keeper
Binx
Cat
Allen/Debaser/Jizwiz/Ryan/Postman

Foos vs. Jesse right now is hard to decide. I know Jesse has a higher skill cap but Foos is doing better in tournaments, and Jesse just isn't motivated to be his best right now. Jesse told me last night he would vote for Foos getting the spot, and for the sake of what the PR is a measure of, I'm leaning towards agreeing.

Ratking vs. Jonny is a tough call as well. I'll need to see what everyone else thinks.

As for Allen vs. me, I feel like there definitely isn't enough data to say who is better. And like I said in my last post, since we don't have any idea of how the inactive players match up to people around their skill level, it's only fair to rank the inactive players below. Since I've moved to Portland I've been to every single tournament in Oregon and Washington except for the last GC, and I've been improving pretty steadily.

And as for Allen vs. everyone else, same thing, pretty much, but if everyone thinks he deserves #9 I'm down. And Jizwiz, Ryan and Postman are all pretty close so I'll need to see what more people say about that.

Mr Postman

Smash Journeyman
Ma *****in Top Ten Without Minh

1) Eggz
2) Foos
3) Jonny
4) Juce
5) Ratking
6) Keeper
7) Binx
8) Cat
9) Allen
10) One of the scrubs

Justin, I'm not sure if I should be higher than Allen, if on the PR at all, I think I should probably be below him. I haven't played Allen or anyone from Corvallis in a long time, so, maybe I am better than him now (I doubt it).

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Edit: Also Allen, Jonny has placed higher than bird at tournaments that they have both been at and beating the people that bird lost to.
That is a fair point, but I feel like you shouldn't disregard someone who has beaten you in bracket.

Binx

Smash Master
my attendance isnt anything related to me changing styles, thats just school, the changing styles is a large part of what is causing my inconsistency, I'm trying to find new ways to adapt to situations so I can evolve as a player.

There is no set in stone best way to play ICs right now except that when you get a grab you should punish really, really hard, which I obviously have issues doing all of the time. But yeah basically I have been experimenting with new moves and stuff and relearning my character, you have to break yourself down if you wanna grow.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
That is a fair point, but I feel like you shouldn't disregard someone who has beaten you in bracket.
so looking through my results page only time I've ever played bird in tournament was osu smash tournament (my return tournament to melee which I wasn't playing again until after that tournament) and that was november of 2010 but with minh off I'd put bird as number 10 on my list.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Johnny: do you purposely spell my name wrong to be funny lol? Johnny
Dude im really sorry, I made my list right after I woke up and didn't pay that much attention to spelling.

Lol Jonny have you ever beaten Bird?
Can you look up when he beat me? Because I believe it was at the first BestBout I had ever attended which was about six months ago.

I dont mean to disregard Bird. Hes a great player from what ive seen but like foos said ive beaten people who knocked him out (the only one I can think of is Ratking). If you look at only the placings from the tournaments you'll see I get higher places then him consistently.

keeper

Smash Champion
Jonny is above me even though every actual tournament I've played him at, I won. He beat me at the last ranbat and I'm not going to john about it, though I did beat him in a bunch of the immediate friendlies following it/felt I played a lot better in them except the last one on FD. However, he always gets 4th or something over me from his side of losers', usually beating Ratking instantly after Ratking beats me in a set that makes me a fussy budget.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
I'll post an updated list with cmin off.

1) Eggz
2) Juce
3) Foos
4) Jonny
5) Binx
6) Ratking
7) Keeper
8) Alien
9) Cat
10) Bird

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Ok, here is my list for the current update. I looked back as far as Best Bout 6 (December). However Best Bout 7 (January) and 8 (February) factored the most in making my final decision. As well, those that attended the January and February GC's had that factored for them as well. Also I considered Apex for Eggz. The GC's are mostly for people that I was already going to rank in the top 5 anyway, so I used them mostly as justification for any of my decisions. My lists aren't just based on how people placed, or who beat who (on an individual basis), but based on what I see as the wider scope of things. I also am going to quote the list I made after Best Bout 7, so you can see how things have changed for this month. I am going to leave out my explanations, so if you want to see how I felt a month ago, go back and read that post.

I am not going to include anyone in my list based on conjecture. I also would like to point out, that although a lot of good points have been made, and I will make another post after this one, to address some things. People are failing to understand a few things. This is based on the Months of December-February. Basically the old list was were you stood based off the previous few months. That means that with that old list, your previous performances were considered. That stuff shouldn't be considered now in this list. This list is moving forward from the previous one. Statements like "I beat so and so at this Best Bout" but then it turns out that Best Bout was before December, aren't true to the spirit of this inquiry in my opinion.

I apologize to anyone in advance that finds my list controversial, and I look forward to the discussion that ensues.

1) Jesse
2) Eggz
3 & 4) Jonny/Rating
5) Foos
6) Minh
7) Binx
8) Keeper
9) AlienAllen
10) Ryan/TheCatPhysician
Ok, so now for my list as of February, and what I would submit for a final list for this PR update.
1) Shane/Eggz
- I only didn't put shane at #1 before because it was his first tournament as an Oregon resident last month. This month was his second. He won this time, got second last month, losing to only Foos. Prior to that, Shane placed 2nd at Best Bout 6 losing only to Teddy both times. At Best Bout 6, 7 and 8 Shane Beat Jesse, and everyone else ranked below him on my list. Also in the month of January, Shane made an incredibly strong showing at Apex 2012. I am factoring this performance in, even though he didn't live here yet, because he did by the time of the January Best Bout, and these 2 months count pretty heavily in most of my positioning for everyone else, not just including Best Bout tournaments.

2) Jesse/Juce
- Jesse has always been and incredibly strong player, and if not for Shane's choice of relocation, probably would be my #1 pick. Jesse got 4th at best Bout 6, and 3rd at Best Bout 7 and 8. Jesse also attended December and January GameClucks. December Gameclucks I believe he placed 4th or 5th. The bracket isn't available, and my memory is hazy on that one. January GameClucks, Jesse won, but most all of the WA PR was absent then. However Jesse placed above other members of this PR, that attended that tournament, losing only Winners Finals to myself (Ratking). At Best Bout 6, Jesse lost to only Shane, who is placed above him, and C!Z. At Best Bout 7, Jesse lost to Shane again, and FoosJr, and again at Best Bout 8, Jesse Lost to Shane, and FoosJr. The only thing for me really keeping Jesse above Foos right now, is that he beats people fairly consistently, that I don't see Foos Beating, or that Foos has lost to. Jesse Did beat Foos at Best Bout 6 as well, although several months ago, it falls within this update period, and so it factors in, only so slightly (Foos really has hit his stride in the last 4 weeks I think though.). Also at Best Bout 8, Jesse beat Me, who Beat Foos.

3) FoosJr
- Foos has jumped up a ton over the last 3 months, but after the last 2 tournaments, I think it is pretty deserved. I think however, that 3-5 on my list are all extremely close, and if things continue how they have, either Foos will jump up to 2nd, or has the potentional to drop to 5. I am only saying this to show how close things really are in my eyes right now. At Best Bout 7, FoosJr Lost to Jesse in Winners, but came back to beat everyone who I would rank Below him, as well as Jesse and Shane, who I both rank above him, to win the tournament. At Best Bout 8, FoosJr beat Jesse again. Basically Foos and Jesse are 2-2 for the period in tournament sets. He also beat anyone who I would rank below him that he played, except for myself. Jesse beat me, and I beat Foos. This is one of those weird little things that worked slightly in Jesse's favor to help him hold the #2 spot. Also obviously less influential in my decisions, but FoosJr got pretty wrecked at Best Bout 6, losing to Allen and Jesse. Although the previous performances of the period weighed less on my decision, they did show that Foos' improvements are recent, so they didn't warrant him a jump above Jesse in my opinion. Foos is primarily Ranked at 3 solidly over me and Jonny, based on his performance, and placing in the last 2 tournaments.

4) Ratking
- I am doing this mostly on my list, because I think actually 4/5 is still a toss up between me and Jonny like 3/4 was on my previous list. If the majority end up wanting Jonny above me, then I am totally cool with that. I am just throwing out some reasons why I feel like it could potentially be warranted I rank above him. Ultimately though whether I am 4 and he is 5, or he is 4 and I am 5, doesn't matter. Right now, I think me and him are really close, and barely trailing behind Foos.

I have placed 5th at every tournament Best Bout 6-8. I lost to Jonny at 7 and 8. at Best Bout 8, I beat Foos, who Jonny lost to. Jonny also lost to TheCatPhysician, who I have not played in tournament during this update period. Jonny Lost to Keeper at Best Bout 7, another player I have not lost to in a considerable time, but did not get to play in this ranking period. I beat Jesse at January GameClucks in the Winners bracket. Jonny did beat Jesse in some $1 money match recently as well, but I don't really know how much a $1 money match weighs in; to my credit as well, I me and Jesse have played a ton of $1 money matches lately, and probably are sitting some place around even with each other in those. Ultimately, Jonny has been beating me, but loses to people I don't lose to. There are also people I rank above both me and Jonny, that I have beat during this period (Jesse, and Foos) as well, that he has not beat in tournament play. These is probably the most sticky 2 rankings for me on my PR list though, and like I said, I am just trying to make an argument for myself. Ultimately, seems really too close to tell based on so many little dumb factors; I think this will probably come down to a matter of opinion, and honestly I feel more people would probably rather see a Falcon in the top 4, rather than another boring Fox. I am definitely down to go with the majority opinion on this one, but just figured I would throw my arguments out there, in case people didn't do the same kind of homework I did, in making my list.

5) Jonny
- Pretty much explain why Jonny is here, in my explanation of why I put myself above him at #4. Ultimately it could go either way. But for the sake of argument, I am putting him here. Jonny has been playing really consistently. He just loses to people, that the 4 people above him, do not lose to, or I find it hard to imagine them losing to (With the exception of Foos and his performance at Best Bout 6). He also has Beat at least 2 of the people I put above him (Myself, and Jesse), on one or more occasion; However, his victory(s) against Jesse were not in Tournament play. That is really my main argument for putting him below myself, The people he has been losing to, not necessarily the one person he has been beating. This is how I see a #5 on the PR. Beating people above him from time to time, but still occasionally struggling with the people that are ranked below him.

Like I said previously though, I think ultimately 3-5 on my list are all really close. Foos easily could have been in a different spot today, had my match with Jesse been ever so slightly different (I am talking like a couple of frames different. This is for anyone that saw it.). This isn't a John, but more of an indication of how one small thing in the bracket can completely change the dynamic between us 3, at this point in time. Although I think we are improving greatly, the three of us still lack the consistency required to be a top notch player. Jesse also seems to lack that consistency, but fortunately for him, even on a bad day, he is better than the majority of the field.

6) Keeper
- Nothing has changed really for me, about what I said about Keeper in my previous list. I have removed Binx and Minh due to inactivity, in this period, and so Keeper moves up by default. Dude is a good player, and is actually a large source of the problems I find in ranking me and Jonny, and a little bit of Foos, where they are.

7) AlienAllen
- Allen is moving up by default, mostly because he made it to December Best Bout. he lost to C!Z both times at the tournament. He beat both Foos and TheCatPhysician at this tournament. I think this is enough to keep him generally where he was previously (or in relation to where that was.)

8) TheCatPhysician
- Cat is getting crazy good. He has the ability to cause some serious upsets on a regular basis. he beat Iceman and a few other decent WA players when we went to GC in January. He beat Jonny at Best Bout 8, he beat Bird who was previously ranked at Best Bout 6. The only problem with Cat, is that he is not consistent right now (See Best Bout 7 results).

9) Bird/Ryan
- Haven't seen Bird in awhile, so I am giving him the benefit here. However Ryan is getting really good. Ryan and Bird placed the same at Best Bout 6; they also beat, and lost to the same people for the most part. Would be interested to see Bird again now. Ryan hasn't been beating anyone, other than people I would put below him, but I know he has been surprising a lot of people

10) ****ard/Postman
- Postman does randomly really great stuff sometimes, and then not so randomly really bad things (I gather to some degree intentionally) other times. Postman could be super awesome. I am tempted to almost tie him up for 9th, but It seems a little extreme. ****ard hasn't really beat anyone noteworthy in this update period, but I know he has been doing hella work. He also beat me in 2 of several $1 money matches we have played recently. Basically at this point in the rankings, it is harder for me to make distinctions based on performance, and becomes more about who I feel is better, simply through them doing work, compared to those around their similar skill level.

I would also like to suggest another update after Manifest. Between now and Manifest (including Manifest now) there are 6 potential tournamets players can attend, as well as one being Manifest, which is going to be pretty hype. Two of these are major Oregon tournaments, and there are 4 in total, if Timmy and Tommy's tournament will have Melee, and if People wanna include the EaOR tournament, that is further away than gameclucks, but still in Oregon.

If we don't update after Manifest, then we will be waiting until May for regular update. I am not opposed to this necessarily, but this also gives people the chance to attend at least one of the bigger local tournaments between now and the end of march. This means people who were bumped due to inactivity, can have a chance to potentially jump back on the PR, instead waiting for May. Also, if we update after Manifest, I still think we should update in May as well, just to keep the three month increments consistent.

(sorry for all the horribly grammar and random capitalization's. I started this at like 6am last night, sent it to myself as a PM, and finished now. Can't be bothered reading over this again.)

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
I beat Ratking when he was playing poorly once
This isn't to take away from you in any manner, but this is just an example of what I said at the start of my post. If it happened in another update period, or at a Wednesday, it isn't really the same imo. People continue to hold onto these kind of victories though.

Instead of keeping himself and Minh together as the other lists do, he puts Minh all the way up in 3rd place, above Foos, and puts himself just below Foos. So this list is arguing that Minh is without a doubt better than Foos, Keeper, Jonny and Kyle. That definitely doesn't sound right to me, because those are all great players who can definitely give Minh a run for his money. . .

Binx's list also argues that Binx is without a doubt better than Jonny, Kyle and Keeper. Does anyone else agree with that? Seems to me that they are all pretty close, but feel free to prove me wrong because I don't have all the info.
Don't wanna be a **** here, or start something, but we talked about this last month. Binx didn't show up this month, and knew the sentiment of most people. I feel like he is reaching for something at this point. This is also why I have proposed we update after Manifest again. To give him another chance, like the chance he was given after we didn't update last month. Ultimately though; I don't wanna piss the dude off, he started the thread, he controls it.

Foos vs. Jesse right now is hard to decide. I know Jesse has a higher skill cap but Foos is doing better in tournaments, and Jesse just isn't motivated to be his best right now. Jesse told me last night he would vote for Foos getting the spot, and for the sake of what the PR is a measure of, I'm leaning towards agreeing.
I would have to lean the other way. I think Jesse is solidly at 2 still. This is also another reason why I wouldn't mind an update after Manifest though. This could easily change, or Jesse could step it back up, and destroy Foos the next several chances they have to meet in tournament over the next month. I know also, that the top 5 in my list, are all planning on hitting up as many of these tournaments as possible up until manifest, so I think I would like to make these kind of drastic distinctions after a little more time.

Ratking vs. Jonny is a tough call as well. I'll need to see what everyone else thinks.
I stated this before, but have to stress I feel pretty much the same.

like I said in my last post, since we don't have any idea of how the inactive players match up to people around their skill level, it's only fair to rank the inactive players below.
Stressing this as well, even though I said something to this effect already. Allen is where he is, because he made it to a tournament, but not very many. He didn't really move, he got lucky in the way everyone moved around him. Bird is the same, however people moved around Bird in a fashion that doesn't guarantee his position in relation to where it was before in my eyes.

Also not trying to be some cocky douche turd here, but this Wednesday. Calling out any challengers for "High Stakes" (lolololol) MM's to clear up any controversies. This means anyone I put below or above me, or not at all (except shane) on my list. Looking for around $10 a piece to make it hype enough, and to ensure both parties are trying their hardest.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Stressing this as well, even though I said something to this effect already. Allen is where he is, because he made it to a tournament, but not very many. He didn't really move, he got lucky in the way everyone moved around him. Bird is the same, however people moved around Bird in a fashion that doesn't guarantee his position in relation to where it was before in my eyes.
If you agree with what I said, then you must feel that you can say with conviction that Allen is beyond doubt better than me. I'm curious if the only reason for this is because he won our set in December. Like I said earlier, I think I've become good enough to be above the threshold of being considered worse than Allen beyond any doubt, which if true, means he should be ranked below me because we're both contenders for that spot and he hasn't been showing up to prove that he deserves it. Unless everyone else thinks that our close set in December (the only time we've ever played) is enough information to make that judgement acceptable.

I want to point out that I've gotten quite a bit better since then. I've incorporated doubleshines, waveshining out of shield, and am starting to overcome my weakness to Falcon - up until yesterday, I was getting wrecked almost every single tournament and friendly match I've ever played with Jonny, was barely able to beat Postman and lost in tournament to him once or twice. I've been telling Jesse and Shane about this, talking about how to play against Falcon and practicing against Jesse's Falcon. Yesterday I managed to beat Jonny in bracket, and was beating Postman solidly in all our friendlies.

But how much better has Allen got? Maybe he's improved more than I have, or maybe he's stayed exactly the same. We have no idea.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Im so glad that Cat beat me. Now everybody appreciates him :)

Ratking ill MM you but I might not have 10$ on Wednesday.

Also somebody get Shane in here, his opinion would be good.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
If you agree with what I said, then you must feel that you can say with conviction that Allen is beyond doubt better than me. I'm curious if the only reason for this is because he won our set in December. Like I said earlier, I think I've become good enough to be above the threshold of being considered worse than Allen beyond any doubt, which if true, means he should be ranked below me because we're both contenders for that spot and he hasn't been showing up to prove that he deserves it. Unless everyone else thinks that our close set in December (the only time we've ever played) is enough information to make that judgement acceptable.
Has to do a little with Decembers set, but also with what happened to you at Best Bout 7. And also how you ended up in the Losers bracket at Best Bout 6. Really this last tournament was your best showing, which in my mind put you where you are now (to some degree); as well as the January GC. Because of some of your previous short comings, this negatively affected you unfortunately. I didn't count anything against Allen really though, other than what might be gathered from looking at his performance at Best Bout 6 . I guess that is unfair to you, but because there is more data for you, it also helped you; I mean showing up is like a double edged sword kinda. I mean if you are showing up, but doing bad, it will negatively affect you. At the same time though, not showing up as frequently, just to keep a spot on the PR (not saying Allen did this at all, just an example), is delaying the inevitable due to the lack of data for you. If you only had Best Bout 6, like Allen, or Only had Best bout 7, you wouldn't be where you are now at all. Best Bout 8 and our trip to GC in Januar, as well as the progression I have seen you making, is what influenced my decision largely. I gave Allen the Benefit, but this isn't saying that things couldn't be different.

I want to point out that I've gotten quite a bit better since then. I've incorporated doubleshines, waveshining out of shield, and am starting to overcome my weakness to Falcon - up until yesterday, I was getting wrecked almost every single tournament and friendly match I've ever played with Jonny, was barely able to beat Postman and lost in tournament to him once or twice. I've been telling Jesse and Shane about this, talking about how to play against Falcon and practicing against Jesse's Falcon. Yesterday I managed to beat Jonny in bracket, and was beating Postman solidly in all our friendlies.

But how much better has Allen got? Maybe he's improved more than I have, or maybe he's stayed exactly the same. We have no idea.
Everything you just said, is exactly why I moved you up like I did. Also have to realize that in my eyes, it isn't just about you and Allen. Nothing on my list is about any 2 individual players against one another really; it matters obviously to some degree at some point. But it also has to do with other factors and match ups outside of you and Allen.

Also, I am considering that Allen hasn't got better in the last 2 months, however I imagine that to be unlikely if he indeed is playing. And even with him not improving, I don't assume people get worse. However people like you have improved and made your way onto the list. You weren't on the previous list, and based off the successes and failures you have endured over the last three months, it influenced where I put you, which I think is pretty solid honestly. I also don't really believe people should be able to enter the PR super high, and usually don't think people should be able to make crazy leaps in the PR. I make an exception for Foos, because he has repeated similar results and performance, and a larger magnitude than like beating the #4 guy for the last three tournaments, or something like that. Best Bout 7 was also between January GC and Best Bout 8. January GC you did really well, Best Bout 7 you did not do well, and Best Bout 8 you did pretty good again. Consistency is pretty important, and I think you are well on your way to having it.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
JonnyW said:
Im so glad that Cat beat me. Now everybody appreciates him
Those were such close matches, though! Could have easily went the other way, and they will in the future I'm sure. But who knows, maybe I'll manage to pull it off next time too. :p

@Ratking, Alright, that answers my question. I did have some really bad performances at January and December best bouts that I wasn't really considering so that makes sense. I really need to work on that consistency!

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Those were such close matches, though! Could have easily went the other way, and they will in the future I'm sure. But who knows, maybe I'll manage to pull it off next time too. :p
I have faith in you Cat for reals. If you beat me you could beat all those chumps like Ratking, Jesse, and Binx ;)

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Thanks for the encouraging words, Jonny. :)

Alright, updating my list with what I've gathered to be mostly true so far:

1) Eggz

2) Foos

I believe Jesse could have definitely be 2nd if he really wants, but he's barely trying anymore (although he was earlier) and Foos is outperforming him this period.

3) Juce

4/5) Rat/Jonny

Still undecided.

6) Keeper

7/8) Allen/Cat

Still not quite sure if I want to vote myself below Allen yet, but as of now I'm undecided. On one hand I still want to try and argue for myself getting 7th (can't blame me for having an ego lol) but the bottom line is I choked in two of the main tournaments this period, which is a pretty heavy negative so I can accept 8th.

9/10) Bird/Ryan

I don't have any information on Bird except that he's considered pretty good, and that at BB6 he beat debaser, lost to eggz and then lost to me. People seem to generally accept him being above Jizwiz and Postman, but for judging between Bird and Ryan I don't have enough information.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
Here's my list

1. Gage is the best and number 1
2-10. all bad and honestly the pr should just have one person on it

the villain strikes again >=[

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Here's my list

1. Gage is the best and number 1
2-10. all bad and honestly the pr should just have one person on it

the villain strikes again >=[
I am doing a way better job at that than you are currently. You are too campy. Gotta get legitimately sinister, and stop holding ****s.

keeper

Smash Champion
Man, I'm never good enough for anything.

This isn't to take away from you in any manner, but this is just an example of what I said at the start of my post. If it happened in another update period, or at a Wednesday, it isn't really the same imo. People continue to hold onto these kind of victories though.
Don't worry, I don't hold onto it as a triumph or anything. As stated in the post itself, you were playing like garbage and were obviously on an off day. It doesn't/didn't contribute to me thinking you were inconsistent or bad or anything. All it means to me, currently, is that I can take games off of you when you're playing bad or you can't sandbag me and still expect to win or something. I don't think it should effect your ranking nor my own.

HOWEVER THAT PENNY MATCH. OH MAN.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Cat and Ratking no Binx at all? I dont think he should be taken off completely.
Yeah, it is harsh, but he wasn't at a single tournament the entire update period. That is why I said in my post, I am not ranking anyone based off pure conjecture. It is pointless, and I honestly only thought about throwing him in some place cause he created the thread. At least some of the hypotheticals in my lower rankings have some sort of tournament results I can look at to form an opinion. He has none. Most all the PR's I have looked at, have attendance/activity rules, and he would have been removed for inactivity anywhere else. I am pushing this one hard, because I want players that care about being on the PR to show up. We had 11 people last Saturday. That is pretty ****ty. This will encourage (hopefully) better turn outs, and will prevent people from having to make a "guess" as to were someone stands on the PR in order to not hurt their feelings.

Also, it isn't going to matter, because it seems to be a minority opinion, but still one that should be represented none the less. He will probably just end up with some lesser ranking he thinks he deserves better than, and someone that keeps showing up, doing hella work, will get bumped off.

Don't worry, I don't hold onto it as a triumph or anything. As stated in the post itself, you were playing like garbage and were obviously on an off day. It doesn't/didn't contribute to me thinking you were inconsistent or bad or anything. All it means to me, currently, is that I can take games off of you when you're playing bad or you can't sandbag me and still expect to win or something. I don't think it should effect your ranking nor my own.
Nah, it wasn't about how I was playing. It was just that I assume because I don't remember it, and didn't see anything to Jog my memory in the results, it was either last update period, or maybe on a wednesday? Those 2 things are what I am primarily referring too, not how I was playing. No Johns on that ****.

HOWEVER THAT PENNY MATCH. OH MAN.
Pretty positive the pennies got left on the table hahaha.

Top Bottom