• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Seems pretty fair then. As long as AW's globally-recognized enough to justify more significant content addition via Andy. Even if he can't get in the base roster, DLC may be his best chance. Also, the novelty of clonking somebody with a wrench.

Sure thing.
Well I seriously doubt DLC unless Advance Wars got a Switch entry and the new protag was made a DLC fighter. So yeah really hoping for the base roster lol.

And thanks! Welcome to the crew!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You know it's a weird thought...

If Andy doesn't get revealed here I honestly believe that his chances are RIP.

Mainly because if Andy were to get in, he'd be a retro for the 30th anniversary of Famicom Wars which is this month. And seeing as there most likely won't be any other reveals this month, this could very well be his last chance.

...Well that and the Assist Trophy Slaughterthon that will inevitably happen. The AT doesn't deconfirm Andy but it makes him look more unlikely.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
If the Advance Wars series gets revived Andy would become one of the prime contenders as a fighter. Here's hoping for both our favorite franchises

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If the Advance Wars series gets revived Andy would become one of the prime contenders as a fighter. Here's hoping for both our favorite franchises
Well TBH if Advance Wars got revived it would be a new AW protag getting represented over Andy unfortunately.

But y'know...Andy being a retro character in this game might just be the catalyst for getting his series revived. Or at least bringing a lot of new eyeballs on Advance Wars than ever before.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
30 Days to the 30th Anniversary!

Day 24: The Flak-Jugger link

By Deviantart user CaptainInvincible

#FlakExposed

But really I found it kinda lame that Jugger/Koal were pretty much carbon copies of Flak/Adder respectively. The latter two who had much more of an impact on the story of the game. It also seems a bit redundant to have both pairs of CO's that function similarly.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Day 25: Hoping for a Miracle

By pzzleagent

As unlikely as it is, it would be the miracle of all miracles if Andy were revealed tomorrow. 30th anniversary of Wars coming up and all.

Lets cross our fingers for our boy huh?

Well I mean I know he'll most likely not be revealed but we could always hope I guess lol. Not like he had the best of chances to begin with. Here's hoping anyways.

As Brenner would say, Hope Never Dies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sorry for the triple post but the thread has been pushed back a lot so I need to bump it.

Day 26: The Calm after the Sturm!

Behold! Sturmurai! :laugh:

bad joke sorry lol

So you guys saw what happened in this Direct. Lots of things happening. Confirmations, deconfirmations, and more ambiguous situations left and right. So happy K. Rool made it in the game (one of my most wanted newcomers) but now the newcomer pool has gotten heavily reduced as a result of that.

So where does our boy stand in all this?

Well...I don't think he has the best of chances so to speak. I mean Advance Wars wasn't included in the Assist Trophy Slaughterthon today so depending on how you look at it it's a really good thing or a really bad thing. Good if that means Andy was somehow playable and really bad if Sakurai completely omitted the AT from the game and left no representation for the Wars series. Of course, Infantry & Tanks wasn't shown off until the game launched for Smash 4 so this could very well mean nothing.

And on a personal note, I think Andy is very unlikely. I mean if he were to be included which; lets be honest would only happen if he were the "retro character" of this game and it would have to be in the same month as the 30th anniversary of Famicom Wars. I don't see there being any reveals for the rest of this month so that anniversary date is almost out of the question.

You could argue that Andy could be revealed in September in a General Direct for the anniversary of the game he starred in himself and the game that fans remember the most but it's reaching really. I mean i'd love for that to happen but damn a lot of variables would have to come in to play for that to happen. I think something like that would only happen if like there was a new Advance Wars to show off or a collection of sorts for the Switch/3DS. Either way, it's a theory that's not worth holding your breath for and more of a "it would be great if it happened but i'm not going to actively expect it" kind of thing.

Another thing I wanted to mention was the stages comment made in the Direct. Sakurai made it pretty clear that the total number of stages in the final game will be 103. At first I thought this was a soft deconfirmation for newcomers from new series but then I remembered that a Monster Hunter stage was shown off here showing that there's a good chance of multiple stages being released post December 7th. So it's very possible that a newcomer like Andy could get in the game and have his stage in the game sometime after launch. Again, don't hold your breath for that but it's a possibility.

But yeah, not looking likely for our boy but we've come this far right? Might as well keep going on. Honestly i'd accept any form of playable Andy on the roster even if that meant he was an Echo Fighter of Snake. Even if that's the least desirable outcome.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I have to agree it's not likely, but imo that's just because it was unlikely from the start. I don't really think it's changed. The AT means very little in terms of confirmation, and I know I said a Smash Direct in August would be a good time for Wars content I didn't think it would be so early.

I don't personally think that Sakurai was talking about final numbers for stages, especially with so few actually new stages announced for this game so far. There's still no Xenoblade content announced and with Sakurai being a fan of the series and it's new prevalence among Nintendo franchises I doubt it's going to be left with a single stage from only the original game (which therefore won't suit any XB newcomers well).

I'm still (foolishly) holding out hope that Gamescom or September have AW news of some sort. Andy isn't really a character to throw out there on his own so timing his announcement to something else is what makes sense. Again, still not likely but I don't think anything has really changed. Smash Directs are for the big hitters and minor introductions, Andy falls between and so would either come with a couple other middleweight characters in a joint trailer or string of smaller trailers (which is usually closer to release since they build less hype) or Wars specific talk, which puts him in other directs.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I have to agree it's not likely, but imo that's just because it was unlikely from the start. I don't really think it's changed. The AT means very little in terms of confirmation, and I know I said a Smash Direct in August would be a good time for Wars content I didn't think it would be so early.

I don't personally think that Sakurai was talking about final numbers for stages, especially with so few actually new stages announced for this game so far. There's still no Xenoblade content announced and with Sakurai being a fan of the series and it's new prevalence among Nintendo franchises I doubt it's going to be left with a single stage from only the original game (which therefore won't suit any XB newcomers well).

I'm still (foolishly) holding out hope that Gamescom or September have AW news of some sort. Andy isn't really a character to throw out there on his own so timing his announcement to something else is what makes sense. Again, still not likely but I don't think anything has really changed. Smash Directs are for the big hitters and minor introductions, Andy falls between and so would either come with a couple other middleweight characters in a joint trailer or string of smaller trailers (which is usually closer to release since they build less hype) or Wars specific talk, which puts him in other directs.
I mean he made it pretty clear that the final stage count in the game would be 103. Unless he adds stages post-release, that's how the stage lineup will look like in the final game. Of course we did see a Monster Hunter stage but we don't know if that stage was specific to Boss Battles or something of that nature.

In the event of Andy's inclusion, it would either have to be...

A) Andy not having his own stage ala ROB
B) Andy getting his stage post-release

I honestly believe his only chance really is September and that's grasping really. Would have to be shown off alongside some sort of Advance Wars announcement as I mentioned above otherwise IDK if it would really fit. Well then again that was sorta the way Little Mac was revealed so IDK for sure.

He could always be his own reveal trailer ala Robin but I doubt that as well.

Personally I would be A-Okay with the Infantry & Tanks Assist Trophy being cut if it meant Andy being playable.

As for Gamescom, I'm not feeling that very much TBH. There's never been any huge announcements there and it's not a place for Smash reveals.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
There's only 4 new stages. That's less stages than were cut from Smash Wii U alone. I simply think that it can be argued his wording was referring to the game as it is per the date of the direct.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Day 27: N64 Wars?

Something very interesting that I thought i'd show you guys. Wars on the N64 was going to happen at one point but much like Fire Emblem 64, it got canceled. It was also done by Hudson Soft instead of Intelligent Systems because they were working on Paper Mario at the time.

It also had a interesting premise similar to Pokemon Stadium in that it had Transfer Pak compatibility. Meaning you could take the battle on the go with one of the Game Boy Wars games and then transfer it over to 64 and finish the battle at home. Man I would have loved that (even though it prob would have never seen an international release at that point).

Here's hoping a Switch Wars could have a similar gimmick to that. Which is one of the reasons why I think Wars is a perfect fit for the Switch given it's multi-player focus.
There's only 4 new stages. That's less stages than were cut from Smash Wii U alone. I simply think that it can be argued his wording was referring to the game as it is per the date of the direct.
I mean Sakurai did say not to expect that many new characters so new stages could easily follow suit.

I want to believe there's more but Sakurai worded it in such a way where it's like "yeah the total stage count for this game is 103". For that reason I can't expect anymore outside of post-release content.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I realized. If Andy gets in, there’s a chance I can get Will as a possible Andy echo.

Hopefully that happens.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I realized. If Andy gets in, there’s a chance I can get Will as a possible Andy echo.

Hopefully that happens.
Don't echo's have to be the same size as their originators?

If that's not an issue then I would love for that to happen. Would be a great way of representing the history of the Wars series.

Not only that but it would be a way for both Andy and Will to be fully voice acted which is something I've always wanted for Advance Wars.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 28: Roy from Advance Wars

Hey if Captain Falcon can mistake someone for being an Advance Wars character then surely it has the credentials to have a playable character in the game lol.

This is a panel from Awkward Zombie's Smash comic. She also did a comic strip for Advance Wars which I posted here in like Page 3 I believe.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
30 Days to the 30th Anniversary

Day 29: Eagle's theme kicks so much ass!

I can't stop listening to this song. It conveys everything I love about the Advance Wars series. High energy and the adrenaline rush that comes with sending your opponents units to their doom :).

Goodness Smash is in desperate need of Advance Wars tracks.

So as you all know, tomorrow will mark the final day in the 30 days to the 30th anniversary series. Can't think of anything fancy to do for Day 30 so instead i'm going to do a big write up on the series, reflecting on it's absence and a look to the future.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
30 Days to the 30th Anniversary

Day 29: Eagle's theme kicks so much ***!

I can't stop listening to this song. It conveys everything I love about the Advance Wars series. High energy and the adrenaline rush that comes with sending your opponents units to their doom :).

Goodness Smash is in desperate need of Advance Wars tracks.

So as you all know, tomorrow will mark the final day in the 30 days to the 30th anniversary series. Can't think of anything fancy to do for Day 30 so instead i'm going to do a big write up on the series, reflecting on it's absence and a look to the future.
It’s about to be Day 30 already?

Aww, I wish Nintendo does something to celebrate 30 YEARS of the series. It’s supposed to be a big day.

Or maybe IS might have something special. Not big, but I at least want them to have the Advance Wars characters appear in a Fire Emblem game like the mobile game as a nod to the series.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It’s about to be Day 30 already?

Aww, I wish Nintendo does something to celebrate 30 YEARS of the series. It’s supposed to be a big day.
Nintendo: "Oh what's that? It's the 30th anniversary of Fire Emblem already? Alright new game!" :troll:

*weeps in misery*

But for real it's going to be deflating when the 12th goes by without a mention of the 30th anniversary of Wars. I can relate to how Metroid fans felt when Nintendo didn't do anything for that franchise's anniversary. At least they had a new game that year tho. Wish I could say the same thing about Wars.

Godammit I really hope something's on the horizon even if it's just a collection of sorts on the 3DS.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sorry I couldn't get the Day 30 post up on time guys. Things happened and I never got around to that.

But rest assured it's still coming. It's going to be a long retrospective of the franchise as well as a look to what the future might bring for the series.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Sorry I couldn't get the Day 30 post up on time guys. Things happened and I never got around to that.

But rest assured it's still coming. It's going to be a long retrospective of the franchise as well as a look to what the future might bring for the series.
I'm really looking forward to this seeing how dedicated you are to the series. Can't wait to see what comes out of it. Btw did you see this yet?

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
I can't keep up with these forums! :(
Life is too busy, Andy's chances still aren't great. Though I'm still praying.
The game looks incredible despite whether we do or do not get certain characters.

Imagine how AW would be if he got into melee instead of Marth/Roy. lol
Only heard of Fire Emblem because of Melee way back then...

(Chrom Hype!!! Takes the best attributes from Ike/Roy both of which I preferred over Marth)

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! I've only ever played the first AW on the GBA (and wasn't even able to beat it lol), but I thought I'd show up to share my support. Andy's a cool character with outstanding moveset potential and also I love new series getting represented in Smash. Especially Rhythm Heaven, Golden Sun, Arms, and Advance Wars deserve a character. Andy's chances may be low as of now, but the fact that his series is one of the most important which are lacking a character in Smash, is probably increasing his chances pretty much.

Infantery & Tanks haven't been confirmed too return as an AT yet, though they were present in Sm4sh and Brawl. Maybe this means they get used for Andy's moveset? Well, probably not.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Dropping in again to say I still support. btw I see some of you guys using the Smash art of Andy that my friend Locomotive111 on DeviantArt did a few years ago (like in Ura’s pfp). Always nice to see his work around, really talented guy.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Day 30...ish: Onwards to the Future!

Well close enough right? :bee:

So the 30th anniversary date came and went and I didn't make the post on time despite me having every intention of doing so. Things happened I guess. But enough about me.

The anniversary date came and went rather uneventfully. No special kind of announcement or even any kind of acknowledgement from Nintendo/Intelligent Systems as we already guessed. Which while most of us really expected to happen, is still a bummer to see. Especially considering how long Wars was active for and for it to be ignored like that. Granted it did spend 10 of those 30 years doing a whole lot of nothing but that's besides the point. Given the legacy of the Wars series it deserved much more than silence. So in that regard I can sympathize with how Metroid fans felt when Nintendo did nothing for the 30th anniversary of that franchise.

But that aside. Lets talk about the series itself. The Wars series, Famicom Wars, Game Boy Wars, Advance Wars, whatever you want to call it. It has a long-lasting impact for all of us here hence why we support the series having playable representation in Smash. No doubt about it with the amount of people I see reminiscing about the franchise and all the critical reviews for the game that rave about it. And it's not hard to see why.

From it's beginnings in 1988, Wars brought new life in to the Turn-Based Tactics genre. It was successful enough to get multiple releases (albeit Japan-only) prior to it's breakout installment that would come out 13 years later. Advance Wars on the GBA did everything it's predecessors did and up'd it to the 10th degree. Selling half a million copies in North America alone, Advance Wars proved to be a hit for the GBA and it's success is the primary reason why Fire Emblem even made it out of Japan in the first place (in addition to paving the way for other TBS games). The game was also successful enough to have a follow up release only 2 years later (which is my personal favorite in the series) and IIRC, was the first franchise Intelligent Systems brought to the DS with Dual Strike. Then of course Wars got it's own spinoff title in the form of Battalion Wars which took a life of it's own; having two releases on the Gamecube and the Wii.

And then we get to Days of Ruin; the last entry in the franchise before Intelligent Systems put Advance Wars to a decade-long sleep. The most controversial entry in the series for it's dramatic tone shift which some people love and others loathe. Personally myself I'm in the camp that prefered the Wars World games and that would be my ideal setting for a future AW but I thought DoR was good for what it was. For what it's worth DoR was able to rebound the series back to GBA-level sales numbers after Dual Strike's poor commercial performance. So in that regard it's unfair to blame DoR for the series' absence especially coming at a time where both Advance Wars and Fire Emblem were doing very poorly.

And I think it's safe to say we know how the rest goes. The early 2010's saw the release of FE Awakening which propelled FE to being one of Nintendo's mainstay franchises. I don't attribute AW's absence 100% to FE though I do believe it made Intelligent Systems less keen on doing much in the way of Advance Wars. The official reason given for it's absence was "relationships" but I find it pretty ridiculous that the series was shelved for that long because of that. I mean I don't doubt the series could grow by having a more character based narrative but it's been a decade and they still haven't done anything. It's pretty ironic that the title of the last Advance Wars was called "Days of Ruin" given the state of the franchise now.

But alas! There still lies some hope despite how bleak things look for Wars. While it hasn't amounted to much, Advance Wars is still very much on the minds of Intelligent Systems as it continously gets mentioned in there developer interviews and one interview they did in particular had them outright saying they wanted to remake Famicom Wars. Then of course there's the demand for the series to return from fans who love the game, evident with Wars placing Top 5 in the rNintendoSwitch poll done back in March. Clearly there's demand for Wars to come back from both developers and fans and that's a good sign.

So where does the series go from here? It's hard to tell. For one, I think it's really unlikely now that Andy gets in Smash Ultimate (even though I'm waiting til' September before I proclaim his chances dead). And as for Advance Wars itself, IDK really. If history is any indicator, it'll likely be a huge pile of nothing but we've seen stranger things happen in the world of gaming. At the least maybe there could be an Advance Wars collection released on the Switch/3DS before the year ends. Maybe even a new release as well that releases in 2020. I like to think that the 2020's will be to Advance Wars what the 2010's were to Fire Emblem. Not only coming back to life but also establishing itself as an A tier franchise. That's the dream at least. Let's all cross our fingers guys.
I'm really looking forward to this seeing how dedicated you are to the series. Can't wait to see what comes out of it. Btw did you see this yet?
Yeah I saw. I agree with the 10% rating though I don't necessarily agree with some points made. Glad they acknowledged Advance Wars as one of the last notable franchises left to be represented in Smash (the others being Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven, and Arms).
I can't keep up with these forums! :(
Life is too busy, Andy's chances still aren't great. Though I'm still praying.
The game looks incredible despite whether we do or do not get certain characters.

Imagine how AW would be if he got into melee instead of Marth/Roy. lol
Only heard of Fire Emblem because of Melee way back then...

(Chrom Hype!!! Takes the best attributes from Ike/Roy both of which I preferred over Marth)
Good to see you again. Haven't seen you in a while.

I don't think Andy would have been timely enough for Melee. Unless Melee released in 2002 and Intelligent Systems gave Sakurai advance notice (no pun intended lol). If that happened AW would have exploded in popularity considering it was doing better numbers than FE did outside of Japan. Man send me to this time line now lol.
Hey guys! I've only ever played the first AW on the GBA (and wasn't even able to beat it lol), but I thought I'd show up to share my support. Andy's a cool character with outstanding moveset potential and also I love new series getting represented in Smash. Especially Rhythm Heaven, Golden Sun, Arms, and Advance Wars deserve a character. Andy's chances may be low as of now, but the fact that his series is one of the most important which are lacking a character in Smash, is probably increasing his chances pretty much.

Infantery & Tanks haven't been confirmed too return as an AT yet, though they were present in Sm4sh and Brawl. Maybe this means they get used for Andy's moveset? Well, probably not.
Thanks for supporting! Welcome to the Orange Star Army!

I don't think Infantry & Tanks means deconfirmation for Andy though it makes him more unlikely. I pictured his moveset using the different kinds of units from Advance Wars and non-pixelated. Would still like that kind of moveset though. Anything to get our boy in the game lol.
Dropping in again to say I still support. btw I see some of you guys using the Smash art of Andy that my friend Locomotive111 on DeviantArt did a few years ago (like in Ura’s pfp). Always nice to see his work around, really talented guy.
Yeah I saw his drawings. He did a handful of them including characters from other series. I dig the artstyle. And nice to see you here again. It's always nice to see supporters; old and new show up here.

And speaking of which for anyone out there. If you happen to lurk in this thread feel free to post lol. The more the merrier.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It’s a little sad that we got no acknowledgement.

Aside from that, I want to make a Will support thread as an echo for Andy, but I don’t know if I can just have it merged with this thread or it being separate.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It’s a little sad that we got no acknowledgement.

Aside from that, I want to make a Will support thread as an echo for Andy, but I don’t know if I can just have it merged with this thread or it being separate.
Well this is more or less a central hub for most things Advance Wars related. Of course if you want to make a Will thread you could do that.

And if Will were an echo of Andy would he fight with wrenches as well? That seems a bit OOC. Unless he only shared Andy's specials (which I presume to be related to Advance Wars) and had all his melee attacks derived from Snake.

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
More special move ideas:

• B: Andy pulls out a small game controller, and briefly, a translucent grid is placed over him. If he is 2 squares high, the grid is a diamond extending out 5 squares in either direction. After a second, enemies in this grid are highlighted, and any friendly troops in the grid fire in the direction of that enemy, prioritizing whover is closest to Andy. Also does a bit of damage and a 1/10th of second of stun.
  • Side B: Calls in a plane from the side of the screen behind Andy. Plane moves pretty fast, but appears to jump forward from position to position instead of smooth movement. Hold B button and release to drop bombs at drop time, or smash Side B to have an even faster jet come in (no bombs). Andy can damage himself with bombs.
  • Up B: Calls in a transport copter from behind Andy. Andy grabs on as it takes off, moving 7 grid squares in rapid succession. Andy can direct it to move horizontally or vertically, but only diagonally in right angles. Once the 7 squares are up, the copter rapidly flies straight ahead, towards the opposite side it came in from. If Andy lands while holding on, it drops him and an infantry off immediately and zooms away.
  • Down B: Andy plants a factory behind himself. This factory has 30 health, and can be picked up/thrown like a heavy item with Down B on top of it by Andy. Can have up to 2 at a time. Deploys bots every few seconds, who then start moving away from the factory.
    • Infantry: Spawns every 6 seconds. Shoots a 3-shot burst; each shot down 3 damage. Can go up and down platforms. If targeting an aerial enemy, can shoot right at them. Has 5 health. Max 2 per factory. Heals factory when nearby, 1hp per second.
    • Tank: Spawns every 10 seconds. Shoots a single round; round does 10 damage and has a very small explosive radius. Can only go down platforms. If targeting an aerial enemy, must be within 10 degrees of a 45 degree angle, otherwise it moves to target. Has 14 health. Max 1 per factory.
    • Rocket Launcher: Spawns every 12 seconds. Shoots 2-round arcing burst every 5 seconds at maximum; each shot does 8 damage. Has to stay still to fire. Can only go down platforms. If targeting an aerial enemy, shoots so top of arc is where the enemy is, but second round might deviate. Has 20 health. Max 1 per factory.
  • These bots move by themselves, firing at enemy in range, and generally trying to move towards the action over time.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
More special move ideas:

• B: Andy pulls out a small game controller, and briefly, a translucent grid is placed over him. If he is 2 squares high, the grid is a diamond extending out 5 squares in either direction. After a second, enemies in this grid are highlighted, and any friendly troops in the grid fire in the direction of that enemy, prioritizing whover is closest to Andy. Also does a bit of damage and a 1/10th of second of stun.
  • Side B: Calls in a plane from the side of the screen behind Andy. Plane moves pretty fast, but appears to jump forward from position to position instead of smooth movement. Hold B button and release to drop bombs at drop time, or smash Side B to have an even faster jet come in (no bombs). Andy can damage himself with bombs.
  • Up B: Calls in a transport copter from behind Andy. Andy grabs on as it takes off, moving 7 grid squares in rapid succession. Andy can direct it to move horizontally or vertically, but only diagonally in right angles. Once the 7 squares are up, the copter rapidly flies straight ahead, towards the opposite side it came in from. If Andy lands while holding on, it drops him and an infantry off immediately and zooms away.
  • Down B: Andy plants a factory behind himself. This factory has 30 health, and can be picked up/thrown like a heavy item with Down B on top of it by Andy. Can have up to 2 at a time. Deploys bots every few seconds, who then start moving away from the factory.
    • Infantry: Spawns every 6 seconds. Shoots a 3-shot burst; each shot down 3 damage. Can go up and down platforms. If targeting an aerial enemy, can shoot right at them. Has 5 health. Max 2 per factory. Heals factory when nearby, 1hp per second.
    • Tank: Spawns every 10 seconds. Shoots a single round; round does 10 damage and has a very small explosive radius. Can only go down platforms. If targeting an aerial enemy, must be within 10 degrees of a 45 degree angle, otherwise it moves to target. Has 14 health. Max 1 per factory.
    • Rocket Launcher: Spawns every 12 seconds. Shoots 2-round arcing burst every 5 seconds at maximum; each shot does 8 damage. Has to stay still to fire. Can only go down platforms. If targeting an aerial enemy, shoots so top of arc is where the enemy is, but second round might deviate. Has 20 health. Max 1 per factory.
  • These bots move by themselves, firing at enemy in range, and generally trying to move towards the action over time.
Thanks for taking the time to make the moveset. Sounds really interesting so let me comment on each of them.

Neutral B sounds hilarious (though I would rather have Andy pull out a GBA TBH). The grid system doesn't sound like it would work in Smash but it's still an interesting idea. If I could add maybe Andy pulls out a GBA and orders his troops to attack similar to the Infantry & Tanks AT.

Your Side B is what others had in mind for Andy's Final Smash (which is a literal full on air assault) though your idea sounds cool as well. Project M did something similar with Sami dropping rockets from the air.

Up B is more or less what we had in mind. I've wrestled with the idea of Andy using a Battle Copter instead of a Transport Copter. Both could work yes but I think Andy with a Battle Copter recovery gives him more options, making it harder for his opponent to edgeguard him.

Down B sounds really good and is what jamesster445 jamesster445 had in mind with his moveset. Although I would rather Andy have the option to buy the units himself similar to how it works in Advance Wars. Basically he would have a fund system (displayed near his stock icon) and he can buy units from a small sub-menu. Your idea sounds feasible as well though.

Added you to the support list as well. Welcome to the Orange Star Army!

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
Oh, the grid system is mostly just a visual range/movement indicator, not that I think the stages of Smash are literally grid based- the placement of the squares is arbitrary. The game controller would be a GBA, but that is of course also just a visual thing.

I think a fund/menu system is neat, and I love systems which lean in on the mechanics from the source games, but I think that would be a little clunky and somewhat too involved for a typical smash fighter. Even the idea of having bots like this is a good step up in complexity, but I wouldn't want to go too far.

I think I like the transport copter because it gives him a bit of weakness, needing to rely on a good army buildup to have a truly safe approach but still being directionally flexible. I mean, not that an attack copter couldn't be similarly flexible, but I dunno, I'm hesitant to make him too much of an all rounder right off the bat.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
I don't think Andy would have been timely enough for Melee. Unless Melee released in 2002 and Intelligent Systems gave Sakurai advance notice (no pun intended lol). If that happened AW would have exploded in popularity considering it was doing better numbers than FE did outside of Japan. Man send me to this time line now lol.
I wasn't looking at timing/such more so than just "IF" it happened.
It seems like FE/AW were both doing well, then smash bros. launches Fire Emblem so far ahead that Advanced Wars seems practically non-existent in comparison.

Would it be the opposite had it happened the other way around? Or is there really a broader appeal to Fire Emblem?
Would they both still be nearly equal if BOTH got reps in Smash at the same time?

Because for myself and a lot of people I had no clue what Fire Emblem even was until Smash Bros. pointed them out.
Heck, when I saw Marth/Roy from "Fire Emblem" I imagined it to be a hack n' slash adventure game before I had any idea what the series was.
It created insane publicity for the series, which hardly seems fair for AW considering how solid those games were at the time akin to its medieval fantasy counterpart.

Just have to hope they are holding out on "Infantry/Tanks" assist trophy for something bigger, but it seems like they are grabbing at highly requested characters. Which leaves me to think Lloyd/Geno/Isaac/etc. are more likely even if I've never played those games. but we can't know until Sakurai confirms it so I'm still holding out hope.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
If Isaac/Geno/Lloyd get in, I think we'll probably see more Andy supporters. I've seen a lot of Isaac supporters in particular ask for more GBA representation, and imo, Andy is naturally the best pick for that era.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh, the grid system is mostly just a visual range/movement indicator, not that I think the stages of Smash are literally grid based- the placement of the squares is arbitrary. The game controller would be a GBA, but that is of course also just a visual thing.

I think a fund/menu system is neat, and I love systems which lean in on the mechanics from the source games, but I think that would be a little clunky and somewhat too involved for a typical smash fighter. Even the idea of having bots like this is a good step up in complexity, but I wouldn't want to go too far.

I think I like the transport copter because it gives him a bit of weakness, needing to rely on a good army buildup to have a truly safe approach but still being directionally flexible. I mean, not that an attack copter couldn't be similarly flexible, but I dunno, I'm hesitant to make him too much of an all rounder right off the bat.
I just think Andy having a base where he summons units would really make him stand out apart from the entire cast. I used to be against the idea as well until recently when I saw different moveset that implemented the system without being convoluted. Basically a small sub-menu only showing the unit icon and the price associated with the unit.
If Isaac/Geno/Lloyd get in, I think we'll probably see more Andy supporters. I've seen a lot of Isaac supporters in particular ask for more GBA representation, and imo, Andy is naturally the best pick for that era.
I would really hope so. Isaac's popularity exploded after K.Rool's reveal so who knows? Or they might think Isaac being in the game is enough representation for the GBA? Either way I hope it benefits Andy.
I wasn't looking at timing/such more so than just "IF" it happened.
It seems like FE/AW were both doing well, then smash bros. launches Fire Emblem so far ahead that Advanced Wars seems practically non-existent in comparison.

Would it be the opposite had it happened the other way around? Or is there really a broader appeal to Fire Emblem?
Would they both still be nearly equal if BOTH got reps in Smash at the same time?

Because for myself and a lot of people I had no clue what Fire Emblem even was until Smash Bros. pointed them out.
Heck, when I saw Marth/Roy from "Fire Emblem" I imagined it to be a hack n' slash adventure game before I had any idea what the series was.
It created insane publicity for the series, which hardly seems fair for AW considering how solid those games were at the time akin to its medieval fantasy counterpart.

Just have to hope they are holding out on "Infantry/Tanks" assist trophy for something bigger, but it seems like they are grabbing at highly requested characters. Which leaves me to think Lloyd/Geno/Isaac/etc. are more likely even if I've never played those games. but we can't know until Sakurai confirms it so I'm still holding out hope.
Advance Wars was selling moderately better than Fire Emblem in all areas of the world other than Japan. And this was after Melee. I have zero doubt that had it been AW with the Smash exposure AW would have completely trounced FE in sales numbers. And Wars would have had a long lasting impact to not be cast aside the way it was.

I still have a shred of hope for Andy but as I said, if he's not revealed in the September Direct then I'm writing off his chances. It would be something at least if Andy was integrated in to the Infantry & Tanks AT. Would suck that he's not playable but at least there would be a 3D model of him in the game. And that their would be some reference to the Wars games that came out 2001 onwards.

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I would really hope so. Isaac's popularity exploded after K.Rool's reveal so who knows? Or they might think Isaac being in the game is enough representation for the GBA? Either way I hope it benefits Andy.
idk about the others but as an Isaac fan, if he gets in, I will keep pushing for Andy still. Advance Wars should definitely have a playable character.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Andy's one of my most wanted characters and has been for awhile, though for some reason, I haven't officially been supporting many of the characters I want on the forums here. Well, that's about to change! Although I've only played the first Advance Wars on GBA, I'd like to join the Orange Star ranks, so please add me to the support list! :)

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
I just think Andy having a base where he summons units would really make him stand out apart from the entire cast. I used to be against the idea as well until recently when I saw different moveset that implemented the system without being convoluted. Basically a small sub-menu only showing the unit icon and the price associated with the unit.
Oh totally agree on the base idea - it's a great way to make him feel distinct. I just don't know if a full blown economic system would fit in on the speed of Smash. I think automating it allows him to use it alongside his fighting, less so him needing to have fighting be used alongside his more active base management. Kinda like Jack-O from Guilty Gear, if you've any familiarity with her.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Advance Wars was selling moderately better than Fire Emblem in all areas of the world other than Japan. And this was after Melee. I have zero doubt that had it been AW with the Smash exposure AW would have completely trounced FE in sales numbers. And Wars would have had a long lasting impact to not be cast aside the way it was.
Hm not sure about that part. FE representation began in Melee but the franchise only started to become successful when Awakening was released with a complete overhaul regarding characters, cliches, story and a load of fanservice (marriage etc). Honestly, I don't believe AW, as it is/was, would have reached that level of fandom. Smash helped FE, sure. But FE's success came through major changes Awakening made. And I don't see the same potential in AW when it comes to fanservice or becoming a mainstream franchise, unfortunately.

I'm pretty optimistic though that IS will release a new Wars game on the Switch sometime. There's serveral quotes where they express their wish to make another one. That'd also be pretty important to keep the diversity and not flood the market with too much FE.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh totally agree on the base idea - it's a great way to make him feel distinct. I just don't know if a full blown economic system would fit in on the speed of Smash. I think automating it allows him to use it alongside his fighting, less so him needing to have fighting be used alongside his more active base management. Kinda like Jack-O from Guilty Gear, if you've any familiarity with her.
Yeah some people told me about Guilty Gear here. The idea is what made me interested in this.

Basically Andy would have a special to capture a city that generates funds and then he could use those funds to buy units. I don't think it would be any more complexed than say Shulk's Monando Arts. If that's too much for the average player than it could be Andy generating his funds automatically without a capture special.
Hm not sure about that part. FE representation began in Melee but the franchise only started to become successful when Awakening was released with a complete overhaul regarding characters, cliches, story and a load of fanservice (marriage etc). Honestly, I don't believe AW, as it is/was, would have reached that level of fandom. Smash helped FE, sure. But FE's success came through major changes Awakening made. And I don't see the same potential in AW when it comes to fanservice or becoming a mainstream franchise, unfortunately.

I'm pretty optimistic though that IS will release a new Wars game on the Switch sometime. There's serveral quotes where they express their wish to make another one. That'd also be pretty important to keep the diversity and not flood the market with too much FE.
Ehh, I kinda disagree with this. I believe Wars has the potential to break out of it's niche and have a much larger user base. I mentioned this a lot on the previous pages where me and a bunch of users talked about how a new Advance Wars would look like and we brought up the idea of there being a much heavier focus on character relationships like having CO's take part of battle on screen and having them marry CO's from other nations. This would be done to strengthen ties with nations and create strategic advantages over one another. I believe these changes would be substantial enough to make AW break out of it's niche and become a lot more successful than it's ever been. Even if it doesn't reach FE's success it would still be a million seller easily. Maybe around the same success as Xenoblade.

And yeah I agree that a new Wars would def break up the releases of FE. More diversity the better.
idk about the others but as an Isaac fan, if he gets in, I will keep pushing for Andy still. Advance Wars should definitely have a playable character.
Indeed. Hopefully this leads to more Andy support. On the topic of new series characters there's not that many left other than ARMS & Rhythm Heaven so Wars would get a new wave of support I hope.
Andy's one of my most wanted characters and has been for awhile, though for some reason, I haven't officially been supporting many of the characters I want on the forums here. Well, that's about to change! Although I've only played the first Advance Wars on GBA, I'd like to join the Orange Star ranks, so please add me to the support list! :)
Thanks dude! The feeling is very much mutual with all of us here. Welcome to the Orange Star Army!

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
I still have a shred of hope for Andy but as I said, if he's not revealed in the September Direct then I'm writing off his chances. It would be something at least if Andy was integrated in to the Infantry & Tanks AT. Would suck that he's not playable but at least there would be a 3D model of him in the game. And that their would be some reference to the Wars games that came out 2001 onwards.
Curious, why September? Sakurai said all fighters would be announced before launch, but never confirmed 'when' as far as I'm aware.
Or just think the last few after September will be BIG fan-favorites once thought to be impossible (like Geno)?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Curious, why September? Sakurai said all fighters would be announced before launch, but never confirmed 'when' as far as I'm aware.
Or just think the last few after September will be BIG fan-favorites once thought to be impossible (like Geno)?
It's the expected date of the next Direct. We don't know for sure but that's usually when it happens.

Andy's last chance is for him to be revealed alongside some sort of new AW announcement (if it were to happen). Otherwise, I don't see there being any other opportunity to reveal him pre-launch.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Well, I guess I don't want to "give up" until we know there is NOTHING left, even if chances seem impossible.

Either way, I'm still pretty happy with the game anyways.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I had a thought just now...

Lets say the expected happens and Andy isn't a fighter...albeit a unique one.

Instead, Andy is an Echo Fighter revealed a month or two before Smash Ultimate's launch. Andy's moves are derived from both Snake and Duck Hunt Dog. Meaning most of his moves are similar to Snake (albeit more cartoonish and colorful) though he has DHD's special where he summons a unit to shoot for him in place of Snake's grenade special. Only instead for Andy that special is re-skinned to be the Infantry and/or Tank from the AT.

How do you guys feel about it? It's not as good as having Andy be fully original but I think it would be a great way to have Andy on the roster even as an Echo. Honestly, i'll take what I can get when it comes to playable Andy. Hopefully, this will be the case if there was no room for a fully unique Andy on the roster.
Well, I guess I don't want to "give up" until we know there is NOTHING left, even if chances seem impossible.

Either way, I'm still pretty happy with the game anyways.
That's the right attitude to have haha.

Truthfully I just don't want to get my hopes up past September which I feel is the make it or break it point for Andy. Hope this pessimism isn't rubbing off others lol.

Last edited:

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
I find it hard to think of Andy fitting an echo fighter in a way that showcases him properly. I would rather have him fully realized than have another 'ganondorf' where you know they have so much more they could have done. It really wouldn't do him justice even if Snake is the closest he has to work with as an echo.

If Sakurai can work magic, I'm all for it but sadly I'd almost prefer him as an Assist Trophy sitting on a random base (land/air/sea?) summoning units of that type to wreak havoc.

Also it almost seems like too much effort they'd have to do to re-skin snake/dhd's moves to use various units. That much work put into something like that, you'd think they may as well make him his own character by that point.

Top Bottom