• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Orange Star's Hyperactive Whiz Kid! - Andy For Smash Ultimate! We'll Live To Fight Another Day...

Favorite Advance Wars Game (Not Including pre-AW and Battalion Wars)

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart of the day features our favorite Little Rich Boy CO, Colin! Coming to you by Deviantart user Fredcheeseburger

Colin is such a godsend in the AW2 campaign when it comes to missions were you need to overwhelm your enemies with sheer numbers. His ability to buy units for cheap more than compensates for his reduced firepower and defense because no matter how many units gets destroyed, Colin is already building like dozens of new ones to take the opponent by storm. Gold Rush is outright broken with how much funds Colin can generate and he can get a Neotank for around the same price most CO's can get a Md. Tank. Lets not forget how broken his Super CO Power is when he has a lot of funds.

Colin's Mech could destroy Sturm's Neotank with that SCOP. Broken doesn't even do it justice lol.
Hello Wars fans. You can all join my Discord if you want to talk more about the series as well as other Smash underdogs from a variety of smaller Nintendo series.

https://discord.gg/R2ZeTqW

Now that is cool fanart of Grit. He was always one of the more laidback CO's in the series.
Sounds cool! Will join soon.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
We also happen to create the best DeleteThis emote.

Take a wild guess what type of tank was used?

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Well I'm back on the forums... Seeing as I got the FE love from Sm4sh, I gotta go with my boy Andy.

totally underrated series with a lot of potential.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
We also happen to create the best DeleteThis emote.

Take a wild guess what type of tank was used?
Uhh...Neo Tank? I really don't know lol.
Well I'm back on the forums... Seeing as I got the FE love from Sm4sh, I gotta go with my boy Andy.

totally underrated series with a lot of potential.
Much agreed. Advance Wars hasn't even reached nearly it's full potential and it's amazing to think how far this series can go. AW1 wasn't even a huge amount away way from breaching the million mark.

Thanks for supporting! Here's hoping our boy makes it for Famicom Wars' 30th anniversary. I'll add you to the support list.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Just listened to Andy's theme for the first time in awhile. That music is really good and has its own style to it.
Even if we don't get Andy I do hope there will be at least a stage for it.

I remember the early teaser for the Pilotwings stage I saw the pixel art that immediately made me think of Advance Wars.
I was later disappointed with discovering it was for pilotwings...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just listened to Andy's theme for the first time in awhile. That music is really good and has its own style to it.
Even if we don't get Andy I do hope there will be at least a stage for it.

I remember the early teaser for the Pilotwings stage I saw the pixel art that immediately made me think of Advance Wars.
I was later disappointed with discovering it was for pilotwings...
Andy's theme is amazing. Not my favorite track in AW but one of my favorites nonetheless. Smash is in need of some Advance Wars tracks in it's stages.

Funny that you mention that because I had an idea for an AW stage where it rotates between a city level, a sea level, and an air level while Orange Star and Black Hole duke it out in the background.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
So I've been thinking of how my moveset idea lacked the smash attacks, and have thought of a few that incorporate the units that I've missed in the specials.

So Up Smash could be Anti-Air as discussed, and I think this is a spot to include some more trap-y gimmicks and stuff, have an initial explosion that leaves a flak cloud that could stay in place as a way to protect from air approaches (since none of the specials currently help in that regard) maybe only have one when charged past a certain point to balance it, or have the flak cloud damage Andy while he says in it so that he has to move out from under it but can still have it cover one spot).

Down Smash could be the Bombers, one flies over his head front to back and razes the ground, with the ground blasts being the actual hitbox. again there's some opportunity for unique gimicks like leaving a napalm trail on the ground but we don't want there to be too much, and the air one is both more interesting and more unique.

Finally I guess that there needs to be a water unit and all air units are covered but fighters and stealth (which would actually make a decent Nair to have them swirl around Andy), so maybe Forwars Smash could be a Battleship that drops slightly behind Andy and makes an explosive blast in front of him. Also has some possible unique properties involving the water the ships sits in maybe causing something, like how Greninja's taunt technically has a water hitbox/windbox. Again, these are just possible gimmicks that could be present and I'm not suggesting all of them.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So I've been thinking of how my moveset idea lacked the smash attacks, and have thought of a few that incorporate the units that I've missed in the specials.

So Up Smash could be Anti-Air as discussed, and I think this is a spot to include some more trap-y gimmicks and stuff, have an initial explosion that leaves a flak cloud that could stay in place as a way to protect from air approaches (since none of the specials currently help in that regard) maybe only have one when charged past a certain point to balance it, or have the flak cloud damage Andy while he says in it so that he has to move out from under it but can still have it cover one spot).

Down Smash could be the Bombers, one flies over his head front to back and razes the ground, with the ground blasts being the actual hitbox. again there's some opportunity for unique gimicks like leaving a napalm trail on the ground but we don't want there to be too much, and the air one is both more interesting and more unique.

Finally I guess that there needs to be a water unit and all air units are covered but fighters and stealth (which would actually make a decent Nair to have them swirl around Andy), so maybe Forwars Smash could be a Battleship that drops slightly behind Andy and makes an explosive blast in front of him. Also has some possible unique properties involving the water the ships sits in maybe causing something, like how Greninja's taunt technically has a water hitbox/windbox. Again, these are just possible gimmicks that could be present and I'm not suggesting all of them.
Looks good though as I mentioned before I would rather keep AW units as Specials and all of Andy's A attacks being unique wrench attacks. Bombers I would imagine being a Final Smash of sorts if that were to ever be implemented. Sea units I think are impossible to implement without looking weird and out of place.

With that being said that reminds me of a gimmick I thought of where Andy summons a base and can buy units similar to how he does in AW. Said idea would encounter problems of course like opening a menu in game and having every type of unit in his moveset.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Man, now that @PhilosophicAnimal is posting those nominations tallies daily I feel so much more pressure to vote Andy, that's a tight race and it's so nice to see him up there but so many others are picking up speed :(

Also, I thought I might just do a bit of a dump here of the convo we had in the discord for posterity/people who don't want to be involved with the discord. About turnbased online multiplayer, summarised I guess:
  • Online play, even just in an AW rerelease, would do so much to bolster the series and bring people on board
  • Online play presents challenges in a turn based game (especially with more and much longer steps involved in every turn than popular examples like chess or even Pokemon)
  • Either you have online play out in one sitting and need to keep people engaged during the opponents turn, which still needs to be long enough to allow good planning and strategy to take place;
  • Or you leave it freeform and have players take turns in their own time, which loses some of the cohesion as players need to remember turns that happened longer ago, and loses much of the tension as games devolve into a coupld of minutes of your life structured around the rest of your day
  • I'm personally a much larger fan of the former as the latter leaves a lot of the frustration of waiting for the opponents turn with less of the satisfaction or a full playthrough
  • As for methods of engagement, a good example comes from online Chess, which allows you to play out your next turn while your opponent plays. This is more difficult in a game with more variables on a per turn basis like AW has. That said being able to mess around with opponents units on your map to play out what you assume the opponent might do, and plan out your next turn accordingly would still be an excellent tool to keep engagement
  • There are other options like changing how the upkeep works slightly to give you some management to do while your opponent plays, though this messes with the gameflow and the balance somewhat, which isn't ideal for a port and could be a pain to develop in any new game
  • Hell, worst comes to worst having shiny, clickable, interactive elements to the map/UI like exist on the boards of Hearthstone would still satisfy some people while they wait.
So that's a bit of a random tangent that I personally find fun to delve into (I'm a design nerd so this is my jam), it could not really be an issue that needs fixing but nevertheless it's good to have the tools there to keep people engaged. At very least it keeps things exciting for newer or more casual players who aren't necessarily going to be spending 100% of their opponents turn making longform strategies and planning turns ahead, or coming up with contingency plans.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart of the day is actually a very special one because it comes from the Japanese website called Shuushuu. The user who made this is dark_wolf_3931 who drew a really cool fanart of Andy, Sonja, Sami, Eagle, and Lash.

I really love it when I come across Japanese Advance Wars fanart. It shows that while AW never got it's chance to really excel in that market, it still has a dedicated following of fans there that are passionate about the series. I also found out recently that there's a dedicated Japanese Advance Wars fansite called Gameboy Wars Network.
Man, now that @PhilosophicAnimal is posting those nominations tallies daily I feel so much more pressure to vote Andy, that's a tight race and it's so nice to see him up there but so many others are picking up speed :(

Also, I thought I might just do a bit of a dump here of the convo we had in the discord for posterity/people who don't want to be involved with the discord. About turnbased online multiplayer, summarised I guess:
  • Online play, even just in an AW rerelease, would do so much to bolster the series and bring people on board
  • Online play presents challenges in a turn based game (especially with more and much longer steps involved in every turn than popular examples like chess or even Pokemon)
  • Either you have online play out in one sitting and need to keep people engaged during the opponents turn, which still needs to be long enough to allow good planning and strategy to take place;
  • Or you leave it freeform and have players take turns in their own time, which loses some of the cohesion as players need to remember turns that happened longer ago, and loses much of the tension as games devolve into a coupld of minutes of your life structured around the rest of your day
  • I'm personally a much larger fan of the former as the latter leaves a lot of the frustration of waiting for the opponents turn with less of the satisfaction or a full playthrough
  • As for methods of engagement, a good example comes from online Chess, which allows you to play out your next turn while your opponent plays. This is more difficult in a game with more variables on a per turn basis like AW has. That said being able to mess around with opponents units on your map to play out what you assume the opponent might do, and plan out your next turn accordingly would still be an excellent tool to keep engagement
  • There are other options like changing how the upkeep works slightly to give you some management to do while your opponent plays, though this messes with the gameflow and the balance somewhat, which isn't ideal for a port and could be a pain to develop in any new game
  • Hell, worst comes to worst having shiny, clickable, interactive elements to the map/UI like exist on the boards of Hearthstone would still satisfy some people while they wait.
So that's a bit of a random tangent that I personally find fun to delve into (I'm a design nerd so this is my jam), it could not really be an issue that needs fixing but nevertheless it's good to have the tools there to keep people engaged. At very least it keeps things exciting for newer or more casual players who aren't necessarily going to be spending 100% of their opponents turn making longform strategies and planning turns ahead, or coming up with contingency plans.
Personally I like the idea I pitched the best where you plan out your next move in the waiting phase and then in your active phase you get like 3 minutes to implement these ideas. I think 3 minutes is more than enough time to carry out your next move and really I usually get my turns done in like a minute or two.

And yes an AW release with online play in what we need for the series to get back in the public eye. I think it would be great if we got all 4 AW games on the 3DS as a Legacy Collection but i'll settle on just having AW1. As I said in the Discord it could be an E-Shop title so their won't have to be any worries on the part of Nintendo/IS about selling at a loss.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart of the day comes from Sourvector and features a crossover of Advance Wars and Team Fortress

I never knew how much I wanted an Engineer alt for Andy lol. Now that I think about it this could make for a really awesome spinoff.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Ura Ura
I read you were wondering if AWDS has a competitive scene. While very small, it has one, you can read more about it here.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You know I was thinking how cool it would be whenever a new Advance Wars gets announced to have a similar teaser trailer like the one Metroid Prime 4 had. Like imagine watching this year's Presentation when all of a sudden out of the blue we see something like this happen...

Imagine if it happened like that complete with the Advance Wars logo and "Coming in 2019". Only to be followed with a remake of AW1 on the 3DS (ala Metroid Samus Returns) as well as Andy in Smash Bros to celebrate the franchise's 30th anniversary.

I suppose one could dream.
Ura Ura
I read you were wondering if AWDS has a competitive scene. While very small, it has one, you can read more about it here.
That's actually pretty cool to see a dedicated competitive AW community still decently active. Though personally I would be more interested in an AW1/AW2 scene because I prefer the GBA titles.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart of the day is a first as it's the first time anything from Days of Ruin has been featured here. This fanart features the entire Days of Ruin cast in a game that was notable for being a departure from the happy go lucky Nintendo Wars we knew the series to be before hand.

I couldn't get the name of the person who did this so i'll just leave a link to where I found this art.

While I didn't like the direction Days of Ruin took the series, I still enjoyed the game for what it was. According to people who worked on this game, the idea for Days of Ruin came about from the idea of what would happen if a cataclysmic event like the one in Days of Ruin happened and how humanity would respond. Some would seek to help others and some would seek to take advantage of others for their own selfish purposes. That was the thought process Intelligent Systems had and you can see that in the plot of the game. Will/Brenner being the idealists looking to help everyone else while you have other CO's like Greyfield and Waylon who are only interested in themselves.

Hopefully when Advance Wars returns it'll go back to it's original happy go lucky roots as the series was always known for. I think that's what most people would want anyways.

EDIT: Sorry for the delay for today's fanart but today features something special as it's Andy made in the style of Super Mario Maker. It was also done by Smashboards user @Zem-raj who does a lot of other cool fanart in that style.

Almost makes you wonder if Andy got in Super Mario Maker huh? I think it would be pretty cool if one day Andy got his own Amiibo through getting in Smash or something.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Today's fanart of the day is a first as it's the first time anything from Days of Ruin has been featured here. This fanart features the entire Days of Ruin cast in a game that was notable for being a departure from the happy go lucky Nintendo Wars we knew the series to be before hand.

I couldn't get the name of the person who did this so i'll just leave a link to where I found this art.

While I didn't like the direction Days of Ruin took the series, I still enjoyed the game for what it was. According to people who worked on this game, the idea for Days of Ruin came about from the idea of what would happen if a cataclysmic event like the one in Days of Ruin happened and how humanity would respond. Some would seek to help others and some would seek to take advantage of others for their own selfish purposes. That was the thought process Intelligent Systems had and you can see that in the plot of the game. Will/Brenner being the idealists looking to help everyone else while you have other CO's like Greyfield and Waylon who are only interested in themselves.

Hopefully when Advance Wars returns it'll go back to it's original happy go lucky roots as the series was always known for. I think that's what most people would want anyways.

EDIT: Sorry for the delay for today's fanart but today features something special as it's Andy made in the style of Super Mario Maker. It was also done by Smashboards user @Zem-raj who does a lot of other cool fanart in that style.

Almost makes you wonder if Andy got in Super Mario Maker huh? I think it would be pretty cool if one day Andy got his own Amiibo through getting in Smash or something.
To be frank, I would rather take an Andy costume over half of the promotional garbage we've gotten in Super Mario Maker. Hello Kitty? Baby Metal? Mercedes?

Anyways, still a nice 8-bit sprite of Andy. He would had incorporated many GBA sound effects if he were in the final game.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I agree, damn that Andy sprite looks good.
You can thank @Zem-raj for that one.

His Makerfried series was always great. He had made sprites for many Nintendo characters and third parties.

This Andy sprite being a good example of his work.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I would love for Andy to have his Dual Strike alt if he ever got in.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I would love for Andy to have his Dual Strike alt if he ever got in.
The more alts, the better.

Because seeing some color swaps would be too predictable IMO.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
What does his Dual Strike costume look like?
I only played Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising.

I didn't hear about any of the other games until well after they came out.
Before everything was easy to keep up with on the internet.
Back when unlocking characters was exciting in Smash because you had no idea who was even in the game until you got them all.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Back when unlocking characters was exciting in Smash because you had no idea who was even in the game until you got them all.
How can I explain it, the game had alternate costumes for each CO in Dual Strikes.

In Andy's case, he wore more leaner athletic clothes. Red jogging shoes, black shorts, red short sleeved sweatshirt, and a red ammunition pouch.

That was a cool feature I wouldn't mind coming back for future Wars games.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
If future games are indeed more story/relationship driven then I think it's probable for them to appear in more than 1 outfit

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
And yet I think it would be a nice nod to the series if his alts were the exact same colors as his seven alt colors in AW2 or AWDS. Although AWDS's eighth color is green body with white hair.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart of the day...well actually today i'm doing something special and featuring official artwork of Jess from Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising.

Jess is among my top 3 favorite CO's along with Andy and Grit. Jess is a weird one because in AW2 she was a pretty mediocre CO TBH. Her specialty; Vehicular units was hardly that much of an advantage because she only had +10% firepower for those units. She also suffered drawbacks of -10% firepower for all her other units (Infantry/Mechs, Naval units, Air units) making her at a disadvantage in almost every situation. Then Dual Strike came along and buffed the hell out of her. In that game her Infantry/Mechs no longer have a firepower disadvantage and her Vehicular units are all +20% instead of +10%. Those changes made her go from mediocre to one to one of the best CO's in the game and she became a titan in land combat.

But for real, lets talk about that giant pencil missile she carries with her. Seriously, what the hell is that? lol.
The more alts, the better.

Because seeing some color swaps would be too predictable IMO.
I would want Andy to have all his color swaps from Black Hole Rising like I mentioned in the OP. It's a nice callback to Advance Wars. That being said his Dual Strike alt and maybe some others. Can you guys think of any other alts that would work for him?

Aussie posted the alt so I guess you saw it already. It features Andy in a T-Shirt and Shorts as he appeared in his alt Dual Strike costume.

And yeah I agree. Unlocking characters in 64 and Melee was a blast because you had no idea what characters would be in the game. Brawl as well though it was prone to spoilers since you could unlock everyone through the SSE and because more people were following Smash speculation on the internet. By the time Smash 4 rolled around everyone was on the internet meaning it was impossible to keep unlockable characters a secret anymore which is why there's so few characters to unlock in that game.
How can I explain it, the game had alternate costumes for each CO in Dual Strikes.

In Andy's case, he wore more leaner athletic clothes. Red jogging shoes, black shorts, red short sleeved sweatshirt, and a red ammunition pouch.

That was a cool feature I wouldn't mind coming back for future Wars games.
I would have figured Andy would have a Tag Power with Jake as well. Both of them being the main protags of their games (well actually Jake was to co-protag along with Rachel).

It's also funny how teaming up with Von Bolt makes some CO's weaker then they normally are lol.
If future games are indeed more story/relationship driven then I think it's probable for them to appear in more than 1 outfit
Probably. Maybe like 3 or 4 alts at that. All unlocked through the War Room or something.
And yet I think it would be a nice nod to the series if his alts were the exact same colors as his seven alt colors in AW2 or AWDS. Although AWDS's eighth color is green body with white hair.
Lol Clone Andy. With all the similarities people point out between Andy and Pit, it's really funny how both have an evil twin (:4darkpit:sorta) and are under the leadership of a female figure who leads the army (Nell for Andy, :4palutena:for :4pit:).

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I do very much love Jess' design. And I personally don't mind losing hidden character unlocking to the prerelease hype cycle. Either way the experience was this one time burst of euphoria that makes you want to run to talk to your friends but this way it's not a spoiler of their experience or something you have to wait for them to get around to. Not to mention that I personally prefer to have my dream roster hopes dashed sooner rather than later:upsidedown:

Also we're reaching the end of the Month and Andy's on top of RTC guys!! Let's hope I didn't jinx it:p

I've been thinking about a possible poll to add to the thread but the great thing about Andy is that he seems like such a straight forward inclusion, there's no real debate about how he should play, just variations on move specifics. There's little to no contending him as the Wars rep. He has multiple costumes but they're unified under one design so no questions there. He's just so...obvious :awesome:

Maybe you could just pop one up asking about favourite Wars games? (though I suspect 1 will win out as most people's entry to the series)

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
@N3ON posted this supposed "leak" from 4chan that claims there's a new Advance Wars game in development for the 3DS.

I know most of the things that come out of 4chan are bull but the optimist in me wants to believe this is real so badly. This year being the 30th anniversary of Wars and it's the perfect time to do this.

Bonus points if this game were to feature the Wars World cast. I want to play as Andy and the gang again as opposed to any other setting. I also want to see the plot point left hanging from Dual Strike resolved with Hawke going in to hiding and the Black Hole army still intact.
I do very much love Jess' design. And I personally don't mind losing hidden character unlocking to the prerelease hype cycle. Either way the experience was this one time burst of euphoria that makes you want to run to talk to your friends but this way it's not a spoiler of their experience or something you have to wait for them to get around to. Not to mention that I personally prefer to have my dream roster hopes dashed sooner rather than later:upsidedown:

Also we're reaching the end of the Month and Andy's on top of RTC guys!! Let's hope I didn't jinx it:p

I've been thinking about a possible poll to add to the thread but the great thing about Andy is that he seems like such a straight forward inclusion, there's no real debate about how he should play, just variations on move specifics. There's little to no contending him as the Wars rep. He has multiple costumes but they're unified under one design so no questions there. He's just so...obvious :awesome:

Maybe you could just pop one up asking about favourite Wars games? (though I suspect 1 will win out as most people's entry to the series)
Yeah I think the days of finding out all the unlockable characters through playing the game are over now. That was during a time when it wasn't common for people to be using the internet to find out about Smash stuff. By the time Brawl came around everyone knew who was going to be in the roster through the Dojo. Smash 4 just made it so widely accessible that virtually no one could get away with not knowing who's in through the advent of social media and whatnot.

We gotta do our boy justice lol. Keep bringing in the X5 nominations for our boy with the wrench.

Well actually there is some sort of debate because some people think he should be fighting in a Tank but I think him being stuck fighting in a Tank severely hampers what he can do. With all the amount of creative wrench attacks and different units he can use it would be such a waste for him to be limited to that. And then there's the camp that thinks Andy or whoever should be a Snake clone or outright take Snake's moveset which I can't even imagine Andy doing. I mean really the last thing Andy needs to be is another :4ganondorf:and have a moveset that doesn't even reflect his own game. Andy should have his own; Advance Wars inspired moveset.

Yeah sure I haven't done a poll before and it sounds like a good idea. I'll start it right now.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
4chan leaks mean nothing to me, I just don't trust them, let alone trust them enough to get my hopes up. Also I kind of hope it's wrong. With the latest directs it's becoming more and more clear that Nintendo isn't looking to commit to anything long term for the 3DS. Not a shock really but even if they're supporting it for a couple more years, with Pokemon and Fire Emblem coming to Switch and the hype building games missing from the reveals I'd just hope for AW to be treated like a bigger deal. Also I'd like to be able to play it and I don't have a DS anymore :p

I can see why they'd do it, test the waters to see if it could be brought back, but actually commit to testing it, don't chuck it out on a system you're dropping while your big, mass market console is thriving. Give it the chance to reach new people and not just the old fans (who may even be skeptical given the last games departure). Give it a chance to build an online multiplayer community on a system that you're trying to actually support online services for (trying). LET ME PLAY IT DAMN YOU:demon:

Ahem, anyway, yeah I hope it returns to the Wars World cast too, they're just too much fun

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Late post for Fanart of the day but today features Advance Wars' renowned cocky, brash pilot of Green Earth, Eagle. Couldn't get the name of the person who did this so i'll just link to where I found it.

Eagle is always one of the most broken CO's of the series. Okay so maybe he's not exactly "broken" but it sure as hell feels that way whenever you faced against him in the AW1 Campaign (or any time in the War Room for that matter). His special niche lies within his air units which have +20% firepower and don't burn any fuel during turns (unlike every other CO). In Advance Wars this is major because air units are typically the strongest units you can have and they pack a punch to say the least. His drawback, however is his weakness with naval units which all have -10% firepower meaning when you use Eagle, you'll want to keep the battle in the air and on land.

Eagle's CO Power is nothing to sneeze at given he can strike twice in one turn (albeit with reduced firepower). This is huge because doing this allows you to completely sabotage whatever your opponent was trying to do so if you're Eagle you can go directly after all of your opponents anti aircraft (Anti-Air's, Missiles, Fighters, etc), and ensure that they can't do anything to you the following turn. Of course if your opponent is Eagle you would plan ahead accordingly and hide your anti aircraft in strategic places (i.e. the woods). In the games that followed it usually takes longer for Eagle to charge up his CO Power which makes him a bit more balanced in that regard.

I don't know what it is about the Green Earth CO's but they all have this really cool niche of specializing in a particular unit (Jess with land units, Drake at sea, and Eagle in the air). The outlier is Javier of course who's specialty is with COM Towers.
4chan leaks mean nothing to me, I just don't trust them, let alone trust them enough to get my hopes up. Also I kind of hope it's wrong. With the latest directs it's becoming more and more clear that Nintendo isn't looking to commit to anything long term for the 3DS. Not a shock really but even if they're supporting it for a couple more years, with Pokemon and Fire Emblem coming to Switch and the hype building games missing from the reveals I'd just hope for AW to be treated like a bigger deal. Also I'd like to be able to play it and I don't have a DS anymore :p

I can see why they'd do it, test the waters to see if it could be brought back, but actually commit to testing it, don't chuck it out on a system you're dropping while your big, mass market console is thriving. Give it the chance to reach new people and not just the old fans (who may even be skeptical given the last games departure). Give it a chance to build an online multiplayer community on a system that you're trying to actually support online services for (trying). LET ME PLAY IT DAMN YOU:demon:

Ahem, anyway, yeah I hope it returns to the Wars World cast too, they're just too much fun
Beggars can't be choosers man. We should be counting our lucky stars that we're even getting a new game (if the leak is true) because for all intents and purposes it looks like we could go another decade without Advance Wars.

I agree with you in that Nintendo is shifting more towards the Switch but the 3DS is still going strong in to 2019 and maybe longer. The 3DS user base is something like 70 Million+ meaning the audience for a new AW is there. If the game (if the leak turns out to be true) performs well then we're looking at a case where Advance Wars makes it's way to the Switch like we all want.

Another thing you might not be taking in to account is that the supposed timetable for this game is late 2018-early 2019. That would put it at an ideal time where Smash Switch DLC would begin and we could possibly have an outcome where a character from that game gets in to Smash. Again, this is all under the assumption that this is true which i'm having a hard time believing right now.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Beggars can't be choosers man. We should be counting our lucky stars that we're even getting a new game because for all intents and purposes it looks like we could go another decade without Advance Wars.
I know, maybe it's influenced by the fact that I wouldn't be able to play it anyway, but I have this fear in me that they're going to release a new game with mediocre effort and that'll be the reason it doesn't sell, then we lose it forever. It's the dumb issue of these 'ultimatum' kind of games, you don't want to sink money into a project that you have no idea about succeeding, but that becomes a self fulfilling prophecy when you put as little effort in as possible and surprise surprise, it doesn't succeed.

Maybe being on time for Smash 5 DLC could save it?

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I know, maybe it's influenced by the fact that I wouldn't be able to play it anyway, but I have this fear in me that they're going to release a new game with mediocre effort and that'll be the reason it doesn't sell, then we lose it forever. It's the dumb issue of these 'ultimatum' kind of games, you don't want to sink money into a project that you have no idea about succeeding, but that becomesa a self fulfilling prophedy when you put as little effort in as possible and surprise surprise, it doesn't succeed.

Maybe being on time for Smash 5 DLC could save it?
In that regard your right. Hopefully Intelligent System will have enough foresight to know that making a rushed game on the 3DS is not going to do the series any favors. I also hope this isn't another "ultimatum" like the one they did with FE: Awakening where if it didn't perform well they were going to pull the plug on the franchise.

If this game were to happen then hopefully they would give it a lot of effort and have a very effective marketing campaign for it. The game should also be able to draw in a lot of newer fans through things like an Easy Campaign and the ideas I mentioned before.

Who knows. This could be the first time Advance Wars breaks the million mark and succeeds in Japan if it happened. That's what the optimist in me wants to believe.

Smash 5 DLC would definitely help it do better in Japan for sure.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm on the same boat.

As much as a new game would be exciting, I would rather not buy into any 4Chan leaks since they are fake out of the time.

Nice Eagle fanart by the way. Best boy.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm on the same boat.

As much as a new game would be exciting, I would rather not buy into any 4Chan leaks since they are fake out of the time.

Nice Eagle fanart by the way. Best boy.
And also one of the most egregious to face. :ohwell: The memories of both NC Rivals and AC Rivals still burn strong.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Fanart of the day features one of the most prominent characters of the Wars World Trilogy, the Quick Capturing Commando; Sami! Fanart done by Deviantart user FlintofMother3

BTW the title "Quick Capturing Commando" was actually the title thread for the old Sami SSB4 support thread.

Sami is sort of like Jess who I talked about previously in that she was really underpowered in her first appearance only to get a massive buff in the game that followed. In general, Sami's prowess lies within her foot soldiers (Infantry and Mechs) who all have +20% firepower and have X1.5 the normal capture rate other CO's have. Her major drawback, however is her direct combat with all her other units that have -10% firepower meaning it's more common for her to be on the losing end of skirmishes. Her CO Power, Double Time allows her to negate any terrain disadvantages for movement and gives her +1 movement for all her foot soldiers. In AW2, she was given a massive buff in the form of her Super CO Power, Victory March which allows her +2 movement and insta capture for any unit she tries to get. This was even more broken when in Dual Strike you could team Sami up with Eagle and use their Tag Power to have an extra turn and then instantly capture the opponents HQ.

While I do firmly believe Sami has no place in Smash before Andy, I think she would make for a nice Snake semi-clone if she were to be added along with Andy or after him.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Fanart of the day features one of the most prominent characters of the Wars World Trilogy, the Quick Capturing Commando; Sami! Fanart done by Deviantart user FlintofMother3

BTW the title "Quick Capturing Commando" was actually the title thread for the old Sami SSB4 support thread.

Sami is sort of like Jess who I talked about previously in that she was really underpowered in her first appearance only to get a massive buff in the game that followed. In general, Sami's prowess lies within her foot soldiers (Infantry and Mechs) who all have +20% firepower and have X1.5 the normal capture rate other CO's have. Her major drawback, however is her direct combat with all her other units that have -10% firepower meaning it's more common for her to be on the losing end of skirmishes. Her CO Power, Double Time allows her to negate any terrain disadvantages for movement and gives her +1 movement for all her foot soldiers. In AW2, she was given a massive buff in the form of her Super CO Power, Victory March which allows her +2 movement and insta capture for any unit she tries to get. This was even more broken when in Dual Strike you could team Sami up with Eagle and use their Tag Power to have an extra turn and then instantly capture the opponents HQ.

While I do firmly believe Sami has no place in Smash before Andy, I think she would make for a nice Snake semi-clone if she were to be added along with Andy or after him.
Cute fanart.

Though I can agree that she would make for a secondary character once Andy gets in first.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Cute fanart.

Though I can agree that she would make for a secondary character once Andy gets in first.
Yeah. I mean no disrespect to Sami supporters when I say that but Advance Wars has to be represented by it's main character.

On a personal note as well I feel that Andy has a lot more to bring to the table VS Sami. In terms of the whole package (aesthetic, presentation, moveset, etc).

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Sami would likely be an Assist Trophy summoning improved infantry or something (as someone who specializes in those units).
Would be great if they were reviving the series in tandem with Smash as a way to bring it back in full swing. (Smash advertising AW would make the series main stream so fast...). Since 5mash is coming out 2018, the roster has already been established long before we even got that Inkling teaser.

Regardless I'm not gonna invest in a "leak".

Fun fact: I voted for Andy in the Sm4sh ballot.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Today's fanart of the day features the diabolical brainchild of the Black Hole Army and one CO that made my life a living hell in the AW2 campaign, Lash. Coming you from Deviantart user Pehesse

As I mentioned, Lash gave me so much trouble in the AW2 campaign back in the day. Her Super CO Power, Prime Tactics is so ridiculously broken in that it gives her twice the normal terrain bonuses. So what that means is where CO's would normally get 3 star defense on cities, Lash would get 6 star defense instead making her units almost indestructible for one turn. I suppose that gimmick suits her being the maniacal genius of the Black Hole Army. Lash is also responsible for the creation of the Death Ray, a device that threatened to destroy all of Wars World had the Allied CO's not destroyed it in time. Personally, I didn't like when she and Hawke joined the good side in Dual Strike given how sinister and remorseless she was in Black Hole Rising. I could go on a huge tangent about the problems I had with Dual Stirke's story. My least favorite out of the four for sure.
Sami would likely be an Assist Trophy summoning improved infantry or something (as someone who specializes in those units).
Would be great if they were reviving the series in tandem with Smash as a way to bring it back in full swing. (Smash advertising AW would make the series main stream so fast...). Since 5mash is coming out 2018, the roster has already been established long before we even got that Inkling teaser.

Regardless I'm not gonna invest in a "leak".

Fun fact: I voted for Andy in the Sm4sh ballot.
I would actually like Hawke better as an AT using his Black Wave causing damage to enemies and healing the user. Or then again they could have a Days of Ruin AT or even a Battalion Wars AT to better represent the Wars series as a whole. As nice it would be to have a lot of Wars World content, I think balancing the other aspects of the Wars franchise is needed to truly do the series justice.

Yeah the roster was decided in like late 2016-early 2017 so if Andy makes it in it would be before any potential 3DS Advance Wars game. As much as i'd like to believe the leak, i'm very skeptical and not going to buy it until there's an official conformation.

I voted for Andy in the Smash Ballot as well. I'd like to think there's a silent support base for Andy/Advance Wars that voted him in. Wishful thinking I guess.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I put a total of 3 votes into the Smash Ballot, thinking that they might only allow one I put Bomberman in first so that would be the one that was counted, then went for Andy and Sami. The reason Bomberman was first? I was desperately wanting a new Bomberman game to mess aorund with friends in. Well I have that now and Bomberman R is a blast to have people over for, so my first vote would now be Andy.

Also yeah, I was bothered by Hawke and Lash's turn in DS too. That said, if we were following my dream of an AW game introducing the social element via a conquest style world map, I think it'd be better to treat Black Hole a bit more redeemably. Have the big bad of the game be Sturm returning which would naturally have Hawke and thus the rest of Black Hole in his bad books. It sets them up to be able to play from their perspective in single player, which allows people to ease into playing as them in multiplayer too.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Just curious. Would you guys rather have Andy being the character that summons units to fight for him or actually use the units himself? I tend to fall in the latter camp but I see a lot of people pitching the former idea. What idea would be easier to implement in the game?
I put a total of 3 votes into the Smash Ballot, thinking that they might only allow one I put Bomberman in first so that would be the one that was counted, then went for Andy and Sami. The reason Bomberman was first? I was desperately wanting a new Bomberman game to mess aorund with friends in. Well I have that now and Bomberman R is a blast to have people over for, so my first vote would now be Andy.

Also yeah, I was bothered by Hawke and Lash's turn in DS too. That said, if we were following my dream of an AW game introducing the social element via a conquest style world map, I think it'd be better to treat Black Hole a bit more redeemably. Have the big bad of the game be Sturm returning which would naturally have Hawke and thus the rest of Black Hole in his bad books. It sets them up to be able to play from their perspective in single player, which allows people to ease into playing as them in multiplayer too.
Yeah I loved Bomberman back in the day on the N64 and it's good that his series was brought on the Switch. I think he's a frontrunner for the next third party character in the game.

It's not just the fact that Lash/Hawke turned but it's also the manner that it happened. This is coming off a game where both Lash and Hawke were remorseless in their killings. Lash even more so who took great pleasure in her actions and even gloated in destroying Olaf's hometown. It's not like Lash/Hawke had a change of heart at the end seeing as they were still intent in crushing the allied forces and making them submit to them for half of Dual Strike's campaign. To make things even worse, the allies don't even have a problem with accepting Lash and Hawke in to their ranks after everything that was done to them and Jake being the doofus that he is says "Yo Hawke it's all good you're my homie now!".

I could rant about Dual Strike's story all day man. Easily the worst of the bunch story wise even though it's still a blast to play gameplay wise with some of the features it added.

Last edited:
Top Bottom