• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Option select: weak up-tilt > shoryuken

MashPotato

Smash Cadet
NNID
StarForce1000
So I was in training mode the other day and found that if you do weak up-tilt with the hold up and tap a method and immediately tap any direction on the c-stick (while still holding up) you will do another weak up-tilt. So flicking down on the c-stick right after holding up and tapping a will cause you to do two quick up-tilts.

Now for the option select. What you do is the above inputs and right after hitting down on the c-stick hit the b (special) button. If done properly it should result in a shoryuken if you receive hitlag (hit something) and result in ONLY 2 weak up-tilts if you do not hit anything.

Inputs:
:GCU::GCA: > :GCU::GCCD: > :GCU::GCB:

Here is a demonstration of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae3Yp2b_wwM

This will probably be only useful for covering people rolling behind you but could also be a safe and powerful way to punish attempted grabs, especially on floaty characters. If there's any other info on OS for ryu I'd be interested to see it.

Edit: This c-stick can be set to either attack or smash

Last edited:

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
You can do something similar with jabs. Jab1-> do the shoryuken input-> press A. On hit, you do jab shoryuken. On whiff, you do two jabs. This is good because it has the safety of, if you mess up the input, you just get a jab combo.

Last edited:

MashPotato

Smash Cadet
NNID
StarForce1000
You can do something similar with jabs. Jab1-> do the shoryuken input-> press A. On hit, you do jab shoryuken. On whiff, you do two jabs. This is good because it has the safety of, if you mess up the input, you just get a jab combo.
Good to know. I tried this in training mode and it requires some precise timing because of buffering but is still useful. Imo using his hitlag to create option selects will be the future of this character.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
So I was in training mode the other day and found that if you do weak up-tilt with the hold up and tap a method and immediately tap any direction on the c-stick (while still holding up) you will do another weak up-tilt. So flicking down on the c-stick right after holding up and tapping a will cause you to do two quick up-tilts.

Now for the option select. What you do is the above inputs and right after hitting down on the c-stick hit the b (special) button. If done properly it should result in a shoryuken if you receive hitlag (hit something) and result in ONLY 2 weak up-tilts if you do not hit anything.

Inputs:
:GCU::GCA: > :GCCD: > :GCU::GCB:

Here is a demonstration of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae3Yp2b_wwM

This will probably be only useful for covering people rolling behind you but could also be a safe and powerful way to punish attempted grabs, especially on floaty characters. If there's any other info on OS for ryu I'd be interested to see it.

Edit: This c-stick can be set to either attack or smash

Can you do true shoryuken using this method?

MashPotato

Smash Cadet
NNID
StarForce1000
Can you do true shoryuken using this method?
I don't think so. You'd have to do the true input before the buffer window in order to keep it an option select. If it is possible you'd have to be nearly frame perfect since the minimum amount of time to do true shoryuken is 3 frames. I have to press B as fast as possible in order to get it to work the standard way so adding at a minimum 3 frames will make it much harder.

Last edited:

Deezxnutz

Smash Cadet
It's fairly easy to do Jab to True Tatsu as an OS. On whiff you get two Jab 1s and on hit youget Jab to Tatsu.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This is the buffer OS and is the most common and basic OS in traditional fighters. I never talked about it because due to my background I figured it was common knowledge.
I always forget most smash smash players never played a traditional fighter.

MashPotato

Smash Cadet
NNID
StarForce1000
This is the buffer OS and is the most common and basic OS in traditional fighters. I never talked about it because due to my background I figured it was common knowledge.
I always forget most smash smash players never played a traditional fighter.
I's true. I only play smash, lol.

Deezxnutz

Smash Cadet
I find it a lot easier to OS Up B by doing Utilt then Up+Grab+B, produces the same results

Top Bottom