• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinions of Smash Run?

Fyrefox

Smash Cadet
To start this thread off, I believe Smash 4 is looking better and better everyday on the 3DS.

Smash Run is a 3DS exclusive feature in the game. In this game mode, 4 players transverse through a dungeon-like environment for 5 minutes, battling enemies from the Subspace Emissary, and other video game series, whilst collecting power-ups, breaking targets, and other methods. When the 5 minute time limit expires, the player can then use the power-ups collected for an advantage in a winner-takes-all battle.

I think this feature is pretty neat, can't wait to hear more. What do you guy think?

Last edited:

VictoriaYr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-6451-1789
It looks great from what I heard and what is expected of it. Probably will play with friends over Skype, and have a blast with it. I don't remember if they said it was also possible locally, but that would be ideal. Smash Run kind of sold me on the 3DS version to be honest. Though I wonder if it'll be possible to get max stats? If not, then it would really be a nice test of speed. I would want to pump up as much as possible. In that way, if there's only one dungeon it'll probably get to the point where everyone has a preferred circuit they run no matter where they spawn. That is of course, conjecture on my part.

Kerreb17

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0619-4010-5392
City Trial was, in my opinion, the best part of Kirby Air Ride. The game as a whole was a solid package, but City Trial made it one of the more memorable racing games outside of Mario Kart. It's a kind if frantic fun that has to be played to be truly understood.

To hear that a similar mode is coming to Smash is exciting. Seeing as it's coming from the folks who made it in the first place, it seems improbable that it will be anything less than the original: that is to say, fantastic.

I welcome it with open arms and can't wait to play it.

Stueyman2099

Smash Cadet
Never played City Trial, so I don't have any experience to have thoughts on this new mode. I'll be sure to give it a try when it launches though.

*Risen*

Smash Cadet
I love this. I just recently played City Trial and I must say that the Smash version is going to be epic. I was going to buy it beforehand, but now I'm going to stand outside at midnight for it.

D

Deleted member

Smash Run looks really good. For one, it actually has more than a few Nintendo enemies in it, which alone makes it far better than the bloated SSE.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
my thought are if the wiiu dose not get anything extra this should be on the wiiu.
(im getting both)

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I think it's brilliant. Yeah there are the Kirby Air Ride influences but honestly to me it's way more similar to Castlevania Harmony of Despair I find, you're given one big map to explore for a set amount of time, your goal is to power up your character by defeating enemies and discovering secrets, and you can equipt certain items before entering the stage. Granted I'm sure much like Kirby Air Ride there will be only one map but if the enemies are randomized every play through like Sakurai said and if all the treasure locations are randomized as well then you got something that's equal to, or better than City Trial in my opinion.

pickle962

Smash Lord
I played the HELL out of city trial on KAR as a kid, so its neat to see something similar in the 3ds version of smash 4 and hopefully it will have an online mode so I don't have to settle for whooping CPU butt all the time!

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I played the HELL out of city trial on KAR as a kid, so its neat to see something similar in the 3ds version of smash 4 and hopefully it will have an online mode so I don't have to settle for whooping CPU butt all the time!
That would complete this mode and I think that will be possible. Though to me the CPU didn't matter because I found it just fun trying to see how much of a god can I become in this short amount of time so I just treated it like a scoring game so it never mattered to me whether I won or lost and that's exactly what I'll be doing in Smash Run.

onjai_x3

Smash Cadet
NNID
onjai_x3
Castlevania is one of my favorite video game series, so to see a metroidvania/city trial mode like this intrigues me. I'm hoping they'll be more smash run stages, maybe some based on Iconic Nintendo franchises.. but I won't get my hopes up.

Looks very interesting to me, though I've never played Kirby: Air Ride, I'd say it's a good call by Sakurai. A full-length adventure would have taken a lot of space, meaning less features, and customization implemented into the 3DS version, this seems to make up for it from the looks of it. Excited to see what it has to offer.

aliensalmon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aliensalmon
3DS FC
1204-0174-6540
It looks pretty good! I like the variety of enemies you can find in the mode.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Playing Smash Run as Megaman will be extremely fun. It will feel like one of his old games again.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I've never had the pleasure of playing City Trial, but this mode looks really fun, and I like all of the various Nintendo enemies that were put in (especially Chandelure and the Polar Bear).

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
I think it looks neat, at the same time simple. I'll come to this mode every now and then, but I don't see myself playing it much. Still good to have. Makes me question, though: does this rule out an entire single-player mode still? I mean we never know. Presuming there's more modes being packed in, a campaign might be too much. SSE is already out of the question so I'm guessing if there's even a single player mode included, it's going to be something as minor as Smash Run.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Anyone who has played Kirby's Air Ride will tell you that City Trail was the best mode in the game. This may be the best new Smash mode since Adventure Mode.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I think this mode is genius and exactly what I was hoping to get out of the new Smash game; a whole new way to experience Multiplayer Battles.

And I think we can still fully expect to see Single-Player features. At the very least, modes like Classic, All-Star and some Stadium Events (Break the Targets, Multi-Man Battles, etc.) and I think it is entirely reasonable to expect some events and some kind of adventure style mode as well.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
It looks awesome. It really makes me want the 3ds version.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Hey guys I just thought of something, what if Smash Run had a free run mode like Kirby Air Ride's City trial? Only in Smash 4's case you can just continuously beat on enemies for as long as you want.

TheMiddleVeen

Smash Cadet
I have to say that I am looking forward to smash run. I loved City Trial and I think this will be a fun game time to play with some friends

Jackson

Smash Lord
The first time I saw it in the Direct, I was skeptical. It didn't seem like something I would play. But, the more I saw it, the more I realized how fun it'll be to play with my buddies. I'm excited.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
No joke, I played City Trial for months with my friends. It completely did away with smash and mario kart, that crap was so much fun

I'm super stoked to hear about it's descendant appearing in smash 3ds

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
i love it since their is no apparent story but i really wonder what will the Wii u hold?

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
It seems like a good replacement for an adventure mode, especially considering that so many people complained when adventure mode was deconfirmed for the game how ever many months ago. It has the same fun elements of subspace emmissary, but without it trying to shove some annoying (yet beautifully animated) cutscenes in your face.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
It seems like a good replacement for an adventure mode, especially considering that so many people complained when adventure mode was deconfirmed for the game how ever many months ago. It has the same fun elements of subspace emmissary, but without it trying to shove some annoying (yet beautifully animated) cutscenes in your face.
there might be adventure mode in the wii u version

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The moment Sakurai announced smash run, this game was already doing more than enough to meet my expectation. I seriously don't think I will have any complains from now on just because of this (yes even if paper mario doesn't get repped properly, I would still be happy).

You have to understand that kirby air ride was SOOOOO underrated because of how simple the game was (which is weird because ssbm IS simple). City trial was like 75% of the quality of the game and the sole reason why the whole game was underrated was city trial. Here's my philosophy on why Sakurai reviving this mechanics was one of the best decisions he took.

I see city trial as kids playing in a court in elementary school. You have a set time when anything can happen randomly because the fun you have each day would be different each other and it will be at a different degree because there's so much random factors in it. What makes this even more interesting is the environment: it is open and doesn't change so you get used to it which means that you will have to use it to your advantage making things even more random. What's important is that you can't guess what others will do and you can't guess how this will affects you so you just expect anything to happen. Sometime, the environment is changing like snow in winter or rain but the structure of it mostly doesn't change so ageing another random factor here. Why this is so fun? Well, kids actually like when random stuff happens they like to experience as most possible outcome as possible.

City trial is the exact same thing just replace kids with kirby on vehicle and the court by a city map. It really has the same feel and this is why this game was so innovative. This is the only random / fun game I've played that I find enjoyable to play with cpus. And that is alone imagine with 4 players…

But now, as determined as Sakurai is, he bring this feeling again in a different way while still keeping the same charm that it offered in ssb4. Remember, this was underrated so to be so sure that it was good enough to bring it back is all thanks to Sakurai's determination. If it wasn't for it, he would've made decisions like others do; based on the sale of a game. Another reason for me to think that Sakurai is the best developer I have ever heard of.

Luckily, more people will realize how this philosophy is the way to go since this game will automatically be well known day 1. So, just for this mode, this game is meeting more than enough my expectation and so, I shall not complain for it (really just imagine me alone playing this mode with 3 level 9 cpu… the cpu in sub are so good).

Thank you Sakurai, you're impressing me more every day.

Last edited:

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
I think smash run will bring much needed diversity in the game. if it wasn't for it I would not be half as exited to try the 3ds version. But the true test is when we actually get to try it. Obviously smash run will be great, what I'm worried about is both lag and the only 1 minute fight afterwards.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I just hope it has some way to play it single player because my bizarre sleep schedule sometimes leaves me bored and lonely :c

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
I just hope it has some way to play it single player because my bizarre sleep schedule sometimes leaves me bored and lonely :c
Japanese players could keep you company at night so I doubt that would be an issue. When I play pokemon x/y online I've never had problems finding other players.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I'm guessing you'll at least be able to play against three AI controlled opponents if you want to play single player.

Mega Lucario

Banned via Warnings
Amazing! It looks just amazing! Not really on the creative side, since it is based on the classic City Trial, but it is still has the nostalgic feeling. Anyway, it seems to be a nice mode to play when you are tired of just battling... so how about a mini-game where you beat the living crap out of enemies and gain power-ups and THEN fight? I can't wait to try out "Smash Run"!

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
my thought are if the wiiu dose not get anything extra this should be on the wiiu.
(im getting both)
This mode is exclusive for 3DS because it requires split screen, and "Smash" and "split screen" are two things that absolutely positively don't combine each other :p

==========

I was wishing for a City Trial-like mode since I saw the 3DS version footage on the past E3 trailer, when this mode was revealed in SSB Direct, I screamed like a little girl! It was like Sakurai just fullfilled my wish, I intend to play this mode a crapload of times alone and, of course, with friends, especially if have online.

Though I wonder if it'll be possible to get max stats?
You can reach the maximum of 1000 for any of the six avaliable power-ups.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I'm still holding out hope for a survival mode where the goal is to kill all the enemies on the Smash Run map without dying or some kind of mode where all you can do is fight the enemies for whatever reason cause I'm more excited about the enemies than the actual City Trial aspect to be honest.

Top Bottom