• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Opinion about Sakurai's updates.

KevRed

Smash Apprentice
First of all, there's no reason to call me stupid. I'm just sharing an opinion.

As updates build up in the smash website, everyone is eager to find a great update. And for some people, a really great update. If the update isn't to their expectations, they get frustrated.
Examples of what some people expect are newcomer profiles and other new game modes.

I have to say, if the update doesn't appear to be a great update, just appreciate at least. Would you rather have no updates at all, or have an update every weekday?
My theory, is for Sakurai to release all the things we ALREADY KNOW, until he releases new things ( newcomers ). He'll also release the most minor assist trophies, items, and stages. After all that's done, he'll start bringing in the good stuff.
See, if we get all the newcomers, lets say... before november, there's not much left to look forward to.

to summarize it, I believe Sakurai will "save the best for last."

My message, be patient with the updates. Appreciate every update, even a "how to play" update. Be thankful that updates that we know of are over with, so you can expect a new thing next time.

Thanks.

-KevRed

SuperAce

Smash Journeyman
It's not just a statement. It's a reality-check for people who don't appreciate the updates.

-KevRed
Rock my Brother.
It's a good way to biuld up anticipation. And I like to think about it this way: If Sakurai-sensei is allow to show all this, think about what he can't show us. I can't wait for december.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
My only problem with the updates is the Character ones. He'll post an update for Link or Mario, but no moves, specials, FS's, or anything. It's like, "Thanks, Mario's in the game, great, we get it." It's literally a useless update.

yea.....dunno what the point of that was...

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I agree. I used to be one of the "impatient" ones, but I've learned that it's not the end of the world when he announces somebody that already know is in the game.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Maybe hes just releasing whatever gets done. Characters are probably the hardest to get all the bugs out, especially the new characters. Maybe its like
"Ok we're done with Wario throw him up so they know"
Instead of
"Ok we're putting Sonic in the game put him up on the site"
Then later
"Uh oh we found something that we need to modify with his appearance, redo it."

Then again maybe not. We may never know... Unless he says it in an interview after the game gets released.

I agree that some people might not like some updates but some do. I enjoy some of the music we get, build more anticipation because some of the music sounds awesome and epic. While when he releases a how to play. I can think "How can I use this to my advantage when the game comes out".

I actually don't get all hyped up when a character is shown. For me its just like "Alright, another one. 20 or whatever more to go!" I like seeing the new things that most people don't care for and seeing that even those take a lot of hard work to accomplish.

I want to become a game designer one day and I might as well see how everything is being released and done at the peak of the gaming industry.... Ok maybe that wasn't really necessary to say... -.-

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
I'm not expecting something that will rock my socks.... yet. But some updates on things we already know (Yoshi) are still very welcome, cause, well, a lot is changing. And some random updates still manage to shock me (last friday's, for instance)

KevRed

Smash Apprentice
Maybe hes just releasing whatever gets done. Characters are probably the hardest to get all the bugs out, especially the new characters. Maybe its like
"Ok we're done with Wario throw him up so they know"
Instead of
"Ok we're putting Sonic in the game put him up on the site"
Then later
"Uh oh we found something that we need to modify with his appearance, redo it."

Then again maybe not. We may never know... Unless he says it in an interview after the game gets released.

I agree that some people might not like some updates but some do. I enjoy some of the music we get, build more anticipation because some of the music sounds awesome and epic. While when he releases a how to play. I can think "How can I use this to my advantage when the game comes out".

I actually don't get all hyped up when a character is shown. For me its just like "Alright, another one. 20 or whatever more to go!" I like seeing the new things that most people don't care for and seeing that even those take a lot of hard work to accomplish.

I want to become a game designer one day and I might as well see how everything is being released and done at the peak of the gaming industry.... Ok maybe that wasn't really necessary to say... -.-
I thought the game was already completed?

I've heard in the past that someone said "I've played Brawl, and it feels complete. If it were to release now, it would outsell by the millions." This is coming from a Nintendo worker, I believe.

They probably have already finished the game by now. They're just messing with us by giving us a piece of info everyday o_O
Besides, if they weren't finished now, and they had until December 3rd, Brawl would be rushed.

-KR

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I thought the game was already completed?

I've heard in the past that someone said "I've played Brawl, and it feels complete. If it were to release now, it would outsell by the millions." This is coming from a Nintendo worker, I believe.

They probably have already finished the game by now. They're just messing with us by giving us a piece of info everyday o_O
Besides, if they weren't finished now, and they had until December 3rd, Brawl would be rushed.

-KR
See the underlined text.

Hideo Kojima said this after he played an early build of Brawl. Note the key words "feels complete," Kev. What he was trying to say was that it plays very well, even at this point in development. They still have some work to do.

Smooth Criminal

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
One good update every two weeks is enough to satisfy me, and so far Sakurai has met my needs! (I totally loved the Names/Custom Button Config update, and the This World, and the stooljump, and a handful of others.) Sakurai has IMO not release very many poor updates.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Yeah its probably a good bit complete and they're just working out bugs.. You got a source of that quote too?

Whatever, my logic was covered in holes. I'm not too good at some of this stuff. Still... There are a lot of bugs that would have to be worked on..

And it did say "Feels complete" not "Is complete" :p

Dark Yoshi77

Smash Journeyman
There's usually at least one "good" update every week. Of course, they're all good to me. It's a great way to start off the morning reading whats new with Brawl.

CodeRed

Smash Apprentice
I really enjoy the music updates, but as most people really am looking forward to new things, like, Characters. I don't mind the lesser updates like names, ways to play, or banana peel. I do hope though that there will be an update that comes out of nowhere and surprises everyone.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I'm sorry but he's updating the website way too slow for my taste. He needs to kick it into fifth gear or just don't update it at all.

bored

Smash Ace
Well in MY opinion the updates have been utter ****e.. nothing has caught my attention so far.. I might take a break from the updates let them build up abit so I don't get all hissy about one lame *** update.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Well in MY opinion the updates have been utter ****e.. nothing has caught my attention so far.. I might take a break from the updates let them build up abit so I don't get all hissy about one lame *** update.
Precisely my point. I mean, c'mon Sakurai, who gives a hoot about a banana as a pick up item. La de freakin da! If he actually thought I'd start celebrating and throwing a party because a banana is now a new held item, then he really needs to stop smokin those Mario Mushrooms growing in his basement.

bored

Smash Ace
Precisely my point. I mean, c'mon Sakurai, who gives a hoot about a banana as a pick up item. La de freakin da! If he actually thought I'd start celebrating and throwing a party because a banana is now a new held item, then he really needs to stop smokin those Mario Mushrooms growing in his basement.
I agree! I mean we should have like an update say every 3 hours just to make things interesting. I mean announce online play, sonic, anything other than these wackass stuff we could simply learn about in the manual... ::sigh::

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I agree! I mean we should have like an update say every 3 hours just to make things interesting. I mean announce online play, sonic, anything other than these wackass stuff we could simply learn about in the manual... ::sigh::
^^ Uh huh, why not give the smash community as a whole (let alone the media) something to actually talk about. Come now Sakurai, dazzle us! Sheesh! For crying out loud!

Just one thing is all I'm asking. Sonic confirmed, online play, Metal Battle Remix, the final 3rd party character! Something interesting! ANYTHING INTERESTING!

bored

Smash Ace
Do you honestly think we care about the stupid **** he has been giving us? Well the majority don't.. Yes getting all the good stuff now would give us lots to talk about then just knuckle joe for the weekend. ::sigh::

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Be grateful for what you get. I hounestly don't understand how people can get worked up over this stuff, and wish for nothing at all, instead of not getting a update with a newcomer. e_e

I mean after all those month of nothingness, in comparison to the last few months , it seems worth it.

Ess oh Aytch

Smash Ace
Why don't you just wait for the ****ing game to come out and stop complaining about all the **** you're not getting? Oh, big deal, he gave you Knuckle Joe. Your life is over. Now for the next two days you can't talk to people on smashboards about something interesting. You're lucky he's giving you anything at all.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Also, if you wish for no updates because you're not getting "big" ones, just don't look at the site. You get what you want, or at least don't get these updates that you all hate so much. >_>

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Why do you want all the big **** now? If you get it now, you'll want the game even more, and you'll have to wait 4 months knowing how good the game is.
It's plain and simple: I'm spoiled rotten!:chuckle:

Riddle me this though it's true that "You can't have your cake and eat it to" right? Well, whats the purpose of having cake you can't eat? I'll let this marinate in your noggin for awhile....

The self proclaimed Smash Sovereign will say it again "Give me something worth while! SOMETHING! ANYTHING AT ALL WORTH FREAKING WHILE!"

Ess oh Aytch

Smash Ace
It has <_< You have your cake now, and he's describing how good it is. On December 3rd you'll get to eat it. As of now he's just not giving you the big qualities of the cake, but why blame him? He doesn't want to give it all to you quickly. He wants to give people suspense, but you guys are ridiculous. If you don't care about the updates he's giving you, then why talk about it? Continue to talk about the possibilities of people being in the game, for all I give a ****.

AAbatterie

Smash Apprentice
In my personal opinion, I wish he didn't do updates. Yes, I know you that seems crazy but I do.

If there were no updates, we would have more of a shock when we buy and play the game. Now since we know of a bunch of stages, we already know which each one does. We also know each character's final smash, and we already know some of the items.

For example, if there were no updates, this would how it would go if we first played the game:

"Oh dude look an animal crossing stage, tight!"

"Dude wtf when I jumped and came on top of you, I sprung up! Crazy!!"

"Ha I can meteor smash with it tight!"

"Oh dude I just threw a pokeball and got Groudon, tiight!!!"

But if we knew everything, it would be like this:

"Hey let's see what the footstool jump does. Oh so it does work. Cool."

"Yeah let's try the meteor smash with it. Hmm.. works pretty good. But I don't think I'll use it that often."

Ok so those are bad examples, but do you get the point? The less updates he gives, the more blown away we'll be when we buy the game. Personally, I think he should only reveal the starting characters, and music, and that's it. That way, we won't be disappointed. Well we'll never be disappointed by Brawl, but you guys should get the point now.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
It has <_< You have your cake now, and he's describing how good it is. On December 3rd you'll get to eat it. As of now he's just not giving you the big qualities of the cake, but why blame him? He doesn't want to give it all to you quickly. He wants to give people suspense, but you guys are ridiculous. If you don't care about the updates he's giving you, then why talk about it? Continue to talk about the possibilities of people being in the game, for all I give a ****.
I can't eat a whole cake bro. I just want one slice. Is that so wrong? And I want the slice to be gargantious!! What I wanted to know is who are the last 2 third party characters of SSBB or just give me one of the two. Hey, I'm not that greedy. Not stupid stuff like....

"How to Play" or "Banana Peel" or "Yoshi Confirmed" <----those following updates are dumb, stupid, and just plain ridiculous.

A banana peel isn't a slice of cake, it's a pathetic crumb. Truly pitful....

Case in point: I rather not be fed anything at all, then to be fed garbage. Starve me until December 3rd if the Smash Website doesn't have anything juicy to add.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Seriously, just wanting to get an update to "talk about" is utter bullcrap and really sad. The updates weren't made to make us think, they were done to keep us warm and looking forward to the game. While other gaming developers don't devote as much time for the fans, Sakurai at least does. This makes us remember we are waiting for the game.

From most games you don't even know whether or not they're still in development, because not a lot of info gets released. You keep looking at the site to see if there are updates, and when there finally is, it turns into a "just blah days left until we release some new info or a trailer nobody actually cares about".

I myself am really waiting until the game comes out, and it's just because Sakurai keeps us up to date with the game.

Ess oh Aytch

Smash Ace
I can't eat a whole cake bro. I just want one slice. Is that so wrong? And I want the slice to be gargantious!! What I wanted to know is who are the last 2 third party characters of SSBB or just give me one of the two. Hey, I'm not that greedy. Not stupid stuff like....

"How to Play" or "Banana Peel" or "Yoshi Confirmed" <----those following updates are dumb, stupid, and just plain ridiculous.

A banana peel isn't a slice of cake, it's a pathetic crumb. Truly pitful....

Case in point: I rather not be fed anything at all, then to be fed garbage. Starve me until December 3rd if the Smash Website doesn't have anything juicy to add.

Why complain about it in the first place? You can't do anything about it. It's just dumb for everyone to complain about it. Like, yeah, that's going to do a lot. Sakurai going to type in http://www.smashboards.com, and he'll see what you will have to say. ****, that night he's going to give us one hell of an update! That's how it works; he gives you crumbs to pique your appetite. Normally it makes people want more, so when the day finally comes, everyone will buy it and they'll finally have a taste of the cake. If you have too many slices now you'll be too full to enjoy the rest; meaning if you get a lot of info now, you won't be as surprised on the launch date.

Case and point: Suck it up

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Seriously, just wanting to get an update to "talk about" is utter bullcrap and really sad. The updates weren't made to make us think, they were done to keep us warm and looking forward to the game. While other gaming developers don't devote as much time for the fans, Sakurai at least does. This makes us remember we are waiting for the game.

From most games you don't even know whether or not they're still in development, because not a lot of info gets released. You keep looking at the site to see if there are updates, and when there finally is, it turns into a "just blah days left until we release some new info or a trailer nobody actually cares about".

I myself am really waiting until the game comes out, and it's just because Sakurai keeps us up to date with the game.
I think you're giving the man too much credit. But thats just me. Out of the five man guys I use in my arsenal "Link, Captain Falcon, Luigi, Falco, and Ganondorf" only 1 out of the 5 have been confirmed. I would honestly like to know ^^stuff like this. Are my mains making a comeback? Will I still b able to stack up with the best of the Smash Community seeing how my mains are making a return? I tire of this speculation bro and it's really starting to get under my skin. You gotta ask yourself, how long has it been since a release of a new Smash game? What, six to several years? Way too long for my taste.

If HAL Laboratories/Nintendo/Sakurai/ whoever else matters in the equation, hasn't given us a sequel by now, now thats just plain sad. Atleast give us a Melee special edition game or something for our pleasure.

@Ess, it's not like I asked Sakurai for any and I mean ANY of those loser updates that he gives on Smash Dojo. Period. He has common sense, he knows what we want, and it sure as **** isn't loser confirmed characters (coughcoughcoughyoshicoughcoughcough) Besides, heh, I didn't get at my 185 pound self being fed bread crumbs. Give me a freakin Taco Bell Fourth Meal!

Case in Point: I think you're letting this get alittle tad to personal. I just want my voice to be heard is all.

Ess oh Aytch

Smash Ace
"@Ess, it's not like I asked Sakurai for any and I mean ANY of those loser updates that he gives on Smash Dojo. Period. He has common sense, he knows what we want, and it sure as **** isn't loser confirmed characters (coughcoughcoughyoshicoughcoughcough) Besides, heh, I didn't get at my 185 pound self being fed bread crumbs. Give me a freakin Taco Bell Fourth Meal!

Case in Point: I think you're letting this get alittle tad to personal. I just want my voice to be heard is all."

He doesn't care. >_> He has common sense, yes, but maybe he's starting out with the little things first? There still is really no point at all in complaining. Be happy for the game even coming out. Go on a diet.

Case in point: Stop complaining.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
You're getting Brawl now, so quit complining, and either take the updates or not. Those things are not changing how fast the game comes out.
For crying out loud.....I'm being mauled by the lot of em!

First off, you know good and well you want this game as much as I do, and I know **** good and well you don't want Sakurai to screw it up! So are you saying you can just sit there with a straight face and say that you don't wan't some decent updates for a change? If you dare say yes then.................
................wait for it....................
...............YOU FAIL!

Whatever.... just do me a favor and wake me up when December 3rd decides to come. I know I reserved my copy!

Top Bottom