• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OoS options for Pikachu

proxibomb

Smash Clown
:pikachumelee: - Version 1.2 (updated December 19th, 2015)
So I've noticed that Pikachu, much like every other character, has different OoS options. This is quite obvious. I just wanted to post my information on which options are the best for what situation. Honestly though, you'll be needing like one or two usually. I’d like to mention that I’ve updated this post to have some better formatting, further in-depth information for those who need it, and is overall better than the first version I posted. All this stuff shown here is obviously frame perfect.
Key
OoS means "out of shield" for those who don't know.
Green text - Highly recommended!
Red text - Not recommended for practically any situation!
Blue text - Situational

Format:
(option oos) ➜ (first frame you can act on)
Basic Frame Data:
The basic knowledge needed to understand oos options. Read and memorize this (or at least the useful things) for being offensive or defensive.
  • Wavedash/airdodge down into ground oos ➜ 13th frame
  • Wavedash/airdoge left/right into ground oos ➜ 14th frame
  • Acting oos (just letting go of the shield button) ➜ 16th frame and after
  • Short-hop oos ➜ 4th frame
  • Spot-dodge oos ➜ 23rd frame
The best options here would be wavedashing and acting from short-hops oos. You can act the quickest out of these options.

Up-Smash Frame Data:
JC up-smashes are usually used to combat those who failed to punish you. Any moves that have really bad ending lag like Falco's forward-smash will easily lose to this. You could even bait for a JC up-smash oos too, but I wouldn't recommend it when your opponent sticks with low-ending lag moves (like Fox's nair).
  • Up-smash oos ➜ 24th frame for first hitbox
  • JC up-smash oos ➜ 9th frame for first hitbox
Obviously, just stick with using the JC up-smash.

Aerial Move Frame Data:
The frame data shown below for each aerial’s first hitbox. If your opponent is crouching, or too short, it may not hit immediately.
  • Nair ➜ 6th frame
  • Fair ➜ 13th frame
  • Bair ➜ 7th frame (takes way too long for hitboxes to appear in front of Pikachu)
  • Dair ➜ 17th frame
  • Uair ➜ 6th frame
Aerial Move Situations:
  • Nair: Used for collecting percents, and pressure. At low percents, nairing oos can be extremely punishable, especially since it has little knockback.
  • Fair: Don't use this. Ever. The knockback is small, so you'll get punished no matter what.
  • Bair: Has a small knockback, so this shouldn't used either. If you can read your opponent well, use this to space a small distance for yourself. Don't use this at low percents (below 20-40% usually). The move works best if the opponent is close and behind you, rather than being in front.
  • Dair: Has a good knockback, but the move is usually too slow for most situations.
  • Uair: Used for spacing, starting combos, and juggling. Use this if you're pressured and you aren't facing your opponent. If you are facing your opponent, it'll be riskier to use this aerial.
In a nutshell, your most optimal moves are the nair and uair. The dair could be used, but it isn't really useful to be honest, especially since the nair can replace its use. Bair could be used if you’re being pressured from behind, so keep that in mind.

Special Attack Frame Data:
Don't use the side-special oos. That's just a huge joke. You could use your quick attack oos, but it's only optimal when you want to edge-grab/edge-hog oos. If you wanna style, you could use Pika's super wavedash oos (with the heavy requirements that are needed). The only useful special oos would be Pika's neutral-b. You could use it to space while being defensive, or you could jump oos with a neutral-b and go for an attack while the neutral-b is still out.

Special Attack Frame Data:
(tested with short-hop oos’s first acting frame)
  • Neutral-B ➜ 21st frame for first hitbox appearance
  • Side-B ➜ 21st frame for first hitbox (17th frame and after for movement)
  • Up-B ➜ 16th frame for first hitbox (17th frame and after for movement)
  • Down-B ➜ 46th frame for lightning bolt to hit Pikachu
Feel free to request anything on frame data or optimal options. Any mistakes you see, or things you want elaborated, just ask in the chat.

Last edited:

atara

Smash Cadet
Looking at the framedata, bair autocancels on frame 50, which is also the length of a fullhop. Can Pika take advantage of this at all (by buffering the input) or is it only theoretical?

Related: it seems like your framedata assumes the opponent is in front of you; does the timing change if they're behind you?

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
you can get the autocancel on bair.

yeah, it seems like proxi only stated how many frames it takes for active hitboxes to be in front of pikachu. nair is actually active on frame 6, like up air is.

about the math for wavedash OoS, isn't it 3 jumpsquat) +1 (in air) +10 (air dodge lag) = 14 frames? and FAF from this would be 15, if i'm correct.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
about the math for wavedash OoS, isn't it 3 jumpsquat) +1 (in air) +10 (air dodge lag) = 14 frames? and FAF from this would be 15, if i'm correct.
That's not right. First 3 jumpsquat, then on 4th frame you airdodge and collide into ground, so the airdodge lag starts on the 4th frame and ends on 13th frame.

Your math would be correct in pm though.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Looking at the framedata, bair autocancels on frame 50, which is also the length of a fullhop. Can Pika take advantage of this at all (by buffering the input) or is it only theoretical?

Related: it seems like your framedata assumes the opponent is in front of you; does the timing change if they're behind you?
The timing is faster/better for certain moves when the opponent is behind you, yeah. I'll get that in when I'm off work.

As for the bair, you'll have better options, so that wouldn't really be necessary.

Last edited:

Kuralesache

Smash Cadet
Bair will auto-cancel if you start it on the 2nd or 3rd frame of a fullhop. 1st frame doesn't work due to reduced jump height glitch. It's not super hard to do, but there's not really a particular situation where it's better than your other aerials. You can't just jump around and bair like you're falco :p

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
thanks to above, i hadn't thought about that. nice that it's a 2 frame window instead of 1. it's also not a glitch. what happens is gravity does not affect momentum of the first airborne frame but it does for aerials.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
I made this web app a while ago that shows a heatmap for each character's oos options. It really just to show the range and speed of each attack, but still up to the players to decide which is the best option.

http://ikneedata.com/heatmaps/oos/pika.html

Use the numbered switches at the bottom to enable/disable frame numbers

Use the attack switches on the left to enable/disable different attacks.

Use the (F) buttons on each attack switch, to change the frame control switches to be for that attack only.

Use the play button to play an animation of the enabled hitboxes, and change the speed underneath.

Hover underneath the falcon hurtbox to see hurtbox controls. Click and drag the arrows to move him, use the character dropdown to switch characters, and use the crouch/stand switch and the flip switch to change their position.

Hovering over hurtboxes will give you frame data on the attack itself.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I made this web app a while ago that shows a heatmap for each character's oos options. It really just to show the range and speed of each attack, but still up to the players to decide which is the best option.

http://ikneedata.com/heatmaps/oos/pika.html

Use the numbered switches at the bottom to enable/disable frame numbers

Use the attack switches on the left to enable/disable different attacks.

Use the (F) buttons on each attack switch, to change the frame control switches to be for that attack only.

Use the play button to play an animation of the enabled hitboxes, and change the speed underneath.

Hover underneath the falcon hurtbox to see hurtbox controls. Click and drag the arrows to move him, use the character dropdown to switch characters, and use the crouch/stand switch and the flip switch to change their position.

Hovering over hurtboxes will give you frame data on the attack itself.
Holy ****, this is gold. No shame in the advertising! Show this to everyone! :088:

Last edited:
Top Bottom