• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ONOES: One of Our Greatest Fears May Be True

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Brace yourselves: Olimar may be popular.
Now I might be wrong here, as I'm only going by the Thread counts for each character, but at 399 threads, Olimar is above Ike. IKE people. This makes Olimar's Thread the most popular on the forum.
This of course could possibly mean that Olimar is just something worth more to discuss, but still... it's unsettling. Olimar may one day be the new Fox.

(You might also want to look over the post counts. While Sonic kills everyone with over 24,000 posts, Ike taking barely 15,000 and Olimar with 9,000, it's another measure of popularity. Albeit an unbalanced one.)

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Yeah well.... I blame the noobs making a thread for every single "I cant defeat ____, Olimar is cheap, Ban this! Ban that! blablabla".

AlbelsPanties

Smash Cadet
Considering I've only met one other person who plays Olimar (And he doesn't main him, just plays him casually...) since the game came out, I'm not too worried about his popularity.

Zori

Smash Champion
Yeah i know what you mean olimar seems to be getting popular but lets face the music there are very few 'good oilmar players matter of fact no olimar has won a major tornament like the Chapmen since brawls release. Also if you online much you know if you get an opponent other then Ike or Pit is a miracle. Say olimar wins a MlG or a Pound tornament then we can start to worry. So what im trying to say is look at this way 100000000000 people played fox but Kens Marth won the most mlg's so its redundent to think about he getting too popular. Last thing before i start to ramble "Pros" know how to edgeguard Edgeguard>OLimar this will stop many people

Hestix

Smash Cadet
I think it was made obvious, with this thread as the example that Olimar players like to make new threads. Similar to how Ike players flame all too much and Lucario players are convinced of their own superiority, Olimar players just seem to have a tendency to create new threads.

RockBarrelBlast

Smash Rookie
This is getting interesting... I wonder what stereotypes go with people who main other characters....

DGMavn

Smash Apprentice
I just took a tourney at my college with Olimar. Everyone was playing Toon Link, Pit, Snake or Wolf - I didn't see any other Olimars there.

*shrug* There'll be another tournament on campus soon, I think. I wonder if more people will pick up Olimar after seeing his potential. He's not a character who looks good by any standards at first glance; I needed to be told by Smashboards that he was good in order to pick him up.

Once the metagame develops, however, we'll have tons and tons of Olimar mains. Watch out.

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
Like me. I'm starting the beat into a Sonic/Zelda/Peach/TL more and more...

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
Yeah i know what you mean olimar seems to be getting popular but lets face the music there are very few 'good oilmar players matter of fact no olimar has won a major tornament like the Chapmen since brawls release. Also if you online much you know if you get an opponent other then Ike or Pit is a miracle. Say olimar wins a MlG or a Pound tornament then we can start to worry. So what im trying to say is look at this way 100000000000 people played fox but Kens Marth won the most mlg's so its redundent to think about he getting too popular. Last thing before i start to ramble "Pros" know how to edgeguard Edgeguard>OLimar this will stop many people
Maybe because the game came out there haven't been too many tournaments? Use common sense, really.

TheKingOfFuzz

Smash Rookie
I'll admit: I'm an FotM Olimar player.

A few read-throughs of Echo's guide, a couple of hours in practice mode against a level 9 opponent, and I'm hooked.

I'm seeking some human opponents, because I suspect the same thing a lot of people in this thread seem to suspect:

Olimar is new, unorthodox, bizarre, and an obvious dark horse . . . hence, he's gotten "over" with some players . . .

But it seems that his lackluster recovery is his biggest handicap . . . and that it will ultimately determine his viability in competitive play.

I love the little guy (and his alien cohorts, who do all the real leg work), but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that the initial buzz surrounding Olimar will slope off as players train themselves to exploit his weak tether recovery.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I love the little guy (and his alien cohorts, who do all the real leg work), but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that the initial buzz surrounding Olimar will slope off as players train themselves to exploit his weak tether recovery.
I hope that's the case. :) Then, tournaments will actually be interesting when some other character besides Marth, Lucas, and Meta Knight competes.

TheKingOfFuzz

Smash Rookie
I hope that's the case. :) Then, tournaments will actually be interesting when some other character besides Marth, Lucas, and Meta Knight competes.
Gosh, I really like Meta Knight, but for the life of me, I can't nail down a reliable KO with him.

Off to the Character Discussion Forums, I suppose.

Delere

Smash Rookie
Gosh, I really like Meta Knight, but for the life of me, I can't nail down a reliable KO with him.

Off to the Character Discussion Forums, I suppose.
It's all about edgeguarding, whenever the opponent leaves the stage, you should be chasing him with a flurry of dairs, fairs, and nairs. Once in a while(maybe once per 3 stock) you may get a good KO with a dsmash or Bup, but don't rely on them.

Once players start to develop the metagame more and more, MK will start to slide off the charts. He's fairly easy to pick up, once you master edgeguarding and his glide there's not really anything else to learn about him(as far as anybody knows)

I hope Olimar stays in the dark :( He's my favorite character atm, and I would never drop him, but I despise playing mainstream characters. I played Fox and Marth in Melee before anyone knew they were good, and when the tourny results started coming in and the tier list came out, I switched to Link.

Idk what I'd do if Olimar became the new Fox. Besides cry, I mean.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I've been thinking about this, and I've come to a personal conclusion. :)

If Olimar happened to become so popular that he is over-used in tournaments, I actually would be quite happy about it.

Olimar first started as just a strange, unusual character that nobody wanted to use. Only a handful of people were brave enough to give Olimar a chance and tap into his potential. If this trend explodes and Olimar becomes a mainstream character, I would be happy. In my opinion, he is the most unique character out of the cast, and it would be a joy to see a unique character triumph over the others in popularity. It will encourage Nintendo to follow this trend of delivering quirky, unique characters into the Super Smash Bros franchise. :)

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
people may be afraid to use him because of his tether recovery... since most noobs would easily be killed with edgehog... but thank goodness it spikes.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
*Le sigh* what is it with people and special little snowflake complexes? Just because more people like something it becomes bad? How disgustingly juvenile, get over it.

GreenMarth

Smash Apprentice
It's all about edgeguarding, whenever the opponent leaves the stage, you should be chasing him with a flurry of dairs, fairs, and nairs. Once in a while(maybe once per 3 stock) you may get a good KO with a dsmash or Bup, but don't rely on them.

Once players start to develop the metagame more and more, MK will start to slide off the charts. He's fairly easy to pick up, once you master edgeguarding and his glide there's not really anything else to learn about him(as far as anybody knows)

I hope Olimar stays in the dark :( He's my favorite character atm, and I would never drop him, but I despise playing mainstream characters. I played Fox and Marth in Melee before anyone knew they were good, and when the tourny results started coming in and the tier list came out, I switched to Link.

Idk what I'd do if Olimar became the new Fox. Besides cry, I mean.
oh gimmie a break.... your saying you didnt play fox before anyone knew he was good? Fox was like ...annoyingly good in the first game! how could you not know hes good? and maybe i believe the marth part but i played him when i thought roy was just as good...but roy suxorz

Wilde

Smash Rookie
Thread counts on a high-level forum don't necessarily mean much when it comes to actual gameplay.

Maybe many people are interested in Olimar's gamestyle, he is very unique. Many others might want to play him casually, but I have seen very little Olimar mains in actual play.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
*Le sigh* what is it with people and special little snowflake complexes? Just because more people like something it becomes bad? How disgustingly juvenile, get over it.
Personally, originality is something I prize in a character and Olimar is the amongst the highest in the roster when it comes to that particular trait (R.O.B. and the Ice Climbers coming close). Imagining people flocking to Olimar simply because "Im looking for a good char" would dilute his novelty in my eyes.

So it's not that popularity is bad in anyway, but having Olimar crowded for all the wrong reasons would be wrong for the Good Captain and his true fanbase.

Goldfinch

Smash Rookie
I'd have to say that I agree. Olimar is a tough character to get the hang of compared to most of the others, so if more people are playing as him, that just means that more people are interested in trying out more advanced stuff. A friend of mine wanted to main Olimar when the game first came out, but she was chased off by his unorthodox play, so she now mains Toon Link. I'm trying to show her the ropes and coax her into trying him out again.

Because I am so desperately rooting for a Pikmin 3, I would actually be overjoyed if Olimar got some more limelight. Hey, Marth and Roy brought Fire Emblem to the US in Melee, so it's a plausible hope that increased popularity of a character in SSB is good for a franchise, right?

So it's not that popularity is bad in anyway, but having Olimar crowded for all the wrong reasons would be wrong for the Good Captain and his true fanbase.
You're saying that popularity isn't bad, but then you list wanting to play as a character because he's good as an illegitimate reason to choose a character. I say that there's no "wrong reason" to choose a character as long as you're enjoying yourself. Should people avoid playing as Ike because he's good and you should only play him because you liked him in Fire Emblem? No. "True fanbase"? Gimme a break, you just want to feel special.

Top Bottom