• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Only 5 Playable Stages... (explained)

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiyama

Smash Ace
I was about to get angry.

But then I remembered

this is general brawl discussion.

you're all mostly 13 or 14.

and dumb.

I'm sorry, please continue being wrong.
That and make sure you have never played the game or these levels before, that's important for people to see you as intelligent on General Brawl Discussion.

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
Oh God the fail...

Brinstar has acid, Mute City has cars and no ledges, Corneria has airwings, Pokefloats has parts with walk-off ledges, Rainbow Cruise has disappearing terrain and parts where KOing upwards is easy, etc. All of these stages have been playable in many major tournaments in Melee all throughout the US, now consider how in Brawl things like these affect the gameplay much less and you can see why your "Only 5 Playable Stages" is complete bull****.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
I like how people who haven't played the game are judging the stages. Norfair will be banned not because of the lava rising from the left (pretty predictable), but probably for the random *** lava bursts shooting from the background.
Mute City=/=Port City, because Port City's cars are a LOT stronger, so it could be banned.
And the walk off stages ban thing doesn't really apply in Brawl, no waveshining.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying tournament play can't ban stages.

I'm saying that if you get down to just the ones with no hazards, unique traits, or other such things and are left with five variations on "It's a straight line...with platforms!", then you're clearly wanting to play the wrong game.

Don't like stages where you have to incorporate hazards into your strategy?
What's the matter? Too "MIND GAMES" for you?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Melee Final Destination's angled edges never really did anything though. >_< You can make a BETTER Final Destination by creating a huge half-box! No sticky edges to worry about!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
How do you botch creating a straight line?
Thank you.

and some of the reasons for banning are rediculous. Distant Planet shouldnt be banned. The bulborb is easy to avoid, as is the slippery edge.

Delfino shouldnt be banned either, it's got walk off edges, but those are easily avoidable.

Among others..

Edit: Like Luigi's Mansion....? Why is that banned? Your reasoning is stupid. Play on it a bit, and it's flat like FD.

Mario Kart is fine. The cars are easy to avoid.

KyUuKyUu

Smash Ace
Hopefully far away from anybody who wants to know
Since everyone auto-sweetspots while facing backwards now, the FD edges shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Wow, you must be a really sucky player. How can you NOT play on Hyrule Temple? What gimmick is there to that? Or Super Mario Circuit, or Smashville, or ANY STAGE? If you had any skill, you would know how ti exploit those "gimmicks" to your advantage, or at least be good enough to IGNORE THEM. Like on Dream Land in SSBM. The wind is virtually ignored most of the time when me and my friends play. Or in Or in Mute City. The cars (and this is basically EXCACTLY like Super Mario Circuit) are easy enough to dodge. You can stay in the air or roll around. You ahve only your own lack of skill to blame.

One more thing: How can you not play on Pokemon Stadium?

In short, you just suck.

Alot.
yay jumping on the "you suck" bandwagon...

irony plz

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand the big deal.
I could play on nothing but Pokemon Stadium (1) all day long and be happy.
So what if some idiot thinks only 5 stages are playable in tournaments (he forgot all the past stages which are mostly tourney-legal)? I've got my (tourney legal) Pokemon Stadium (1). I'm happy.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I can already tell that half the people in this topic don't understand WHY certain stages were banned in Melee. Seriously, how many people in this topic have played Melee competitively? Do you know what a counter-pick stage is? WHY certain stages are counter-picks? What constitutes a neutral stage? And no, FD only is a horrible assumption that really needs to stop.

As for Brawl stages, it still being discussed, but some of the stages will OBVIOUSLY be banned without any question, like New Pork City (or Temple II). And do you know why people are having trouble with Brawl FD's edges? It's because they are treating it like Melee FD's edges. They should treat the edges more like Pokemon Stadium 1 or better yet, stop trying to hug the walls. It's even easier to recover anyways, since you auto-sweetspot.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Delfino Plaza
Battle Ship Halberd
Castle Siege
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Port Town
Pictochat

All of those will remain playable. Some of you reasoning is really bad. Lava didn't ban Brinstar in Melee. Distant Planet might also not be banned.
If I may interject, I'd suggest you should probably replace "Norfair" with "Luigi's Mansion" on that list. Norfair's lava is not like Brinstar's - the waves coming in from either side would be more disruptive to the gameplay than the lava coming from below in Brinstar, and the massive wave from the back can only be avoided by one player who manages to get into the shelter that comes down, meaning the player that doesn't make it is screwed when that happens. With Luigi's Mansion though the fact that it is quickly and easily destroyed renders our OP's point against it moot - if someone tries to use it's solid platforms to stall, you just get rid of the platforms they're using to do so.

Zevox

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Theres a difference between 'fair' and 'playable'. Those five listed stages are fair. There are plenty more that are very playable. Only a few are completely irredeemable.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You're assuming no counter stages whatsoever. There were only five neutrals in Melee. In Brawl so many stages that you've discounted would make for great counters. Norfair, Delfino, Great Sea... the list of possible counters goes on.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
That's gotta be the most stuck-up, snobby tourneyfaq statement I've ever heard on these forums.
You sir, should be ashamed.
Play the game as it's meant to be played: in its entirety.
It's elitist casualfaqs like you that fuel all the flamewars around here. This is primarily a competitive Smash forum. If you don't believe in competitive Smash, you can post elsewhere, but please don't try to enforce your doctrine of "playing Smash how it was meant to be played" on everyone around here.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's elitist casualfaqs like you that fuel all the flamewars around here. This is primarily a competitive Smash forum. If you don't believe in competitive Smash, you can post elsewhere, but please don't try to enforce your doctrine of "playing Smash how it was meant to be played" on everyone around here.
I'd say there are fewer competitive players here than you'd think, so I'd say your assumptions are moot, but I agree that people shouldnt say how a game is meant to be played. That is truly subjective.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
You know, joining here has allowed me to understand the view of tournament players a little better. That said, I can see how some casual players grate on their nerves.

True Fool

Smash Ace
Walk-off edges are actually up for grabs now. Without waveshining, they're looking a good bit more playable. But back throw-camping could cause a ban. Counter-pick is likely the best they'll do.

As for the rest, I think it's way too harsh. I don't actually think that too many stages will be banned in tourneys this time around. We will have a LOT of counter-pick stages.

If Rainbow Cruise, Mute City, Jungle Japes, and in certain tourneys Great(gay)Bay and Peach's Castle were all legal counter-picks, what makes you think that Brawl's stages are so disruptive that they can't be counter-picks?

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
You know, to be more specific, there are infinite playable stages.

At least, as long as there's level editor.

Did anyone else see that video with the Metal Mario Stage from SSB64 recreated in the level editor?!?! Totally legal stage.

You can make infinite number of stages with slight inclines in the terrain, or with walls going to the bottom (like Yoshi's Island) so there's no "OMG NEW FD TRAPS PPLZ" going around. Or you can make things with one, two, three, or four platforms randomly put around the centerpiece that is the arena, and BOOM! Ken vs Azen on the Saffron City re-creation (which also looks ****, and it's legal because there aren't any poke-hazards on it.

This is actually the most number of tournament legal stages that the Smash Bros franchise has EVAR HAD.

The moar you know. All the rest of you tards can go home.

Dr. Wario

Smash Cadet
This is laughable that you ban stages for gimmicky things. With this logic, I demand we ban Final Destination. It has the gimmick of being too straight.

Seriously, don't you eggheads have better things to do than bicker over the internet about which stages are banned and which aren't? Shut the hell up and be grateful you don't have to wait 2 more weeks for the game.

True Fool

Smash Ace
why is "the hyrule effect" bad? i only played on 2 stages in melee: final destination and hyrule
Fast characters can get a single KO, and stall the rest of the match. The other thing is that it takes forever to die when someone keeps teching/ukemiing down in the bottom half.

-Ran

Smash Master
Hyrule promotes:
Over use of long range items.
Camping.
Cowardice.
Stalling.
Long Range >> Melee oriented.
'Safe haven' camping. [You can live to about 300% in the underground of the level].

Jinx

Smash Journeyman
OP pretty much nailed everythin in his post, except he forgot to add Pokemon Stadium 1. =P Other than that, I agree that those 5 (+PS1) would be the neutral/random tourney stages.

On a side note, posts like this:
LAVA is in Norfair. ACID is in Brinstar.

All of the stages are playable. If they weren't, Sakurai wouldn't have put them in the game.
and
This is laughable that you ban stages for gimmicky things. With this logic, I demand we ban Final Destination. It has the gimmick of being too straight.
make me realize that stupidity really is unlimited.

Don't mind them OP, b/c they are (and probably always will be) noobs.

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
The hell? 5 playable stages?

"Walk off side during part of it" is your reason for banning Delfino Plaza. Lighten up, would you! This is a little different than turning off items at tournaments, this is removing a huge portion of the game!

You're banning the Bridge of Eldin? Dude, it's pretty much the most basic stage in the game! And the bomb is ridiculously predictable.

lol
Seriously, don't you eggheads have better things to do than bicker over the internet about which stages are banned and which aren't? Shut the hell up and be grateful you don't have to wait 2 more weeks
Wait, what? Maybe you could try not playing into the stereotype of the irritating casual player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom