• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online trouble (like everybody else) - but maybe it really IS my connection?

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Generally speaking I can connect to the Nintendo WFC, I can even find a With Anyone match if I have some patience. Not to say I'm unfamiliar with occasional disconnection. My big problem is horrendous LAG.

The first night I played, I did With Anyone and got into a match with some random Fox, just one on one. I cannot put into words how bad I was lagging, it was more like sporadic freezing. However, I do not think my opponent was lagging, because while on my screen it appeared as though my character was frozen in time, every 15 seconds or so I would see the time in the corner change, and my opponent was moving around, in fact he managed to FULLY ASSEMBLE A DRAGOON and get me with it (all of this I saw in spread apart freeze frames). I would've been fine waiting for the match to finish and just dying, but I just seemed forever frozen, so I had to shut off my Wii. :(

Later I changed my router's channel, and after that the lag was not quite like that, but there is still like a second delay between button presses and move execution, and this is CONSTANT, not "oops, that momentary lag messed up THAT move," the lag messes up like EVERY move. Not only in With Anyone mode (although it is certainly worse there), but I've also played two friends on two separate occasions, and it was still laggy as hell! These folks couldn't live more than ten miles away from me!

So does anyone have any advice on maybe configuring my router, or being able to check its performance? It's a Linksys router that I just bought a few days ago, because my old router crapped out. Any ideas on how I can optimize my connection (aside from a wired connection, if avoidable)?

EDIT: I'm on a cable modem, by the way, and generally I find my internet connection to be quite speedy.

chronoize

Smash Journeyman
im not sure if its your router, cause many people including myself have the same problem, i played someone earlier that lives bout an hour away from me and that game had like 2-3 sec delay, but when i play someone 10 mins away it was like 10 x worse. There are many ideas on how to reduce the lag, or change the settings on your router, but ive only seen very very very very few people with absolute no lag

Leram

Smash Rookie
i played two games last night, both had around 2-3 second delay after button press (kinda horrible and unplayable). I'm guessing it's due to the server strain.

6uardianAngel

Smash Rookie
I experience lag as well but not so significant --

I can do friend matches easily, lag free but when I try with anyone mode I can usually NEVER find anyone and if I do, it times out and I get disconnected from NWFC.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Okay. It's just that I'm well convinced that my first match's mega EXTREME lag was probably due to, or at least influenced by, what channel my router was on. Lag makes me sad. :(

Top Bottom