• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Mode: Is Nintendo replacing player with CPU after they quit?

asevengodie

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I'm pretty sure there is something behind this because it has been happening to me many times with the same factors.

I play an online match a couple times with some random person, 1 on 1 for Glory.
Suddenly after a couple of intense fights the player takes very long to choose a character, so I wait-----

Then the next match starts, and this time the same player isn't really fighting me,
his/her playing style becomes like the style of someone who is playing video games for the first time.
As if the player gae the 3DS to his/her 4 year old sibling
Not moving much, not really using threatening attacks, and generally plays without the intention to kill me.

And this has been happening to me during online matches more than 20 times.
So what I want to ask is, am I the only one experiencing this?

I play against a pro and suddenly they don't want to do anything, what is happening here?
Are these CPU's? But if yes, why is Nintendo doing this? Why not just quit the game?
What is going on here?!

Last edited:

elmike

Smash Apprentice
same here!
The times i have seen that its after a relatively "long" lag period. So probably thats happening.

winner133

Smash Cadet
NNID
winner133
3DS FC
1161-0198-4190
I noticed this too, They just move around and only attack when I'm near them like level 1-3 cpus

Spirst

Yes, I am 100% certain they are replaced with CPUs as I found someone in For Glory whom I spoke with after and he said that after the lag spike, I too played like a CPU which definitely wasn't the case.

This is implemented so that the game doesn't halt suddenly if the other player disconnects.

Khao

Smash Lord
Yeah, it does, and I absolutely ****ing hate it.

If my opponent leaves, I'd rather get thrown back to the menu with a "lol nobody lieks u" message than being forced to fight a CPU. I'm playing online for a reason.

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
It'd be interesting to test this by recording two streams and playing them side by side. We'd be able to watch them desync after the disconnect.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Yeah, it does, and I absolutely ****ing hate it.

If my opponent leaves, I'd rather get thrown back to the menu with a "lol nobody lieks u" message than being forced to fight a CPU. I'm playing online for a reason.
You can take 2 stocks off a level 3 cpu in a matter of 10 seconds, just charge your strongest smash

Last edited:
Top Bottom