• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Online lag.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
So I was wondering if anyone lagged as hard as I (sometimes) do? It's not always laggy. But it lags when I'm about to combo someone off stage or when i'm about to win and it's pretty annoying. If I didn't have any self control my 3DS would've been in pieces right now.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
It all depends on the player's connection. So if it lags, don't blame the game. I got about 100 mbit/sec so it should be fine, if it isn't then it's the other player having some slow internet.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
It all depends on the player's connection. So if it lags, don't blame the game. I got about 100 mbit/sec so it should be fine, if it isn't then it's the other player having some slow internet.
My internet is pretty fast... I don't seem to lag on other games I play (Destiny, COD, GMOD, etc...) So I don't think its my connection.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
People who play those types of games usually are heavily into online gaming and thus have made sure they have a fast connection. I have seen very little lag in streams of the game.

No it's THEIR connection.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The netcode is supposedly good, so if your matches are lagging, the problem is likely on your connection OR in the opponent's connection.

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Yeah I think people in America are gonna complain the most because you have pretty bad connections in some places and obviously you're very loud on the internet.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
I had some concerns about this, but seriously: If your connection's good, online matches feel just like local matches! Of course, every player with a bad connection adds up to the total lag in the game. So you better test it out in For-Glory 1-on-1 matches.

Last edited:

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
I am worried UK, Aberdeen might have a bad connection but maybe not since my connection can be good and it ran well for MK8

Raijinken

Smash Master
Yeah I think people in America are gonna complain the most because you have pretty bad connections in some places and obviously you're very loud on the internet.
Yea, our internet is notoriously sucktastic for the amount we have to pay for it. Plus population density in some areas (for instance, universities) will result in a lot of wireless interference, which won't help.

But yea, as others have said, lag hasn't been that bad. It normally pauses the game to keep it from terribly screwing up combos and stuff, too, so that's a plus.

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
I've seen from many streams that the lag seems to be minimal at most. So I'm excited to see how it'll run in the states.

I have 300 mb/20 up so hopefully I won't have any issues with lag.. If I do I'll just.. I don't know, condemn myself to a corner or something.

But doesn't it choose either player to host the match at random? Or will it pick the best connection?

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
I've seen from many streams that the lag seems to be minimal at most. So I'm excited to see how it'll run in the states.

I have 300 mb/20 up so hopefully I won't have any issues with lag.. If I do I'll just.. I don't know, condemn myself to a corner or something.

But doesn't it choose either player to host the match at random? Or will it pick the best connection?
It's a peer to peer connection so both player's internet counts. Anway I'm running on a 20mb/5 and I still play laggless online, no need to worry!

Einyuri

Smash Cadet
It's a peer to peer connection so both player's internet counts. Anway I'm running on a 20mb/5 and I still play laggless online, no need to worry!
Oh, good. This is great to hear. I know one of my friends doesn't have the best connection and we were planning on playing each other a lot. That's a relief.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Highly doubt it ONLY lags right before you do so,ething good

Zimoria

Smash Rookie
I have lower end DSL internet(about 3megabits). Has anyone experienced online play yet with those kinds of speeds? I know someone said 20mpbs, but that kind of speed simply isn't available for my area.

Has there been any more technical details with how the connection for online play will work? At what point will it pause it because of lag? There's something similar like that for starcraft 2 if one of the players is lagging super hard. It sounds like it's been well thought out though(better than I had hoped).

Skylit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skylit
I have lower end DSL internet(about 3megabits). Has anyone experienced online play yet with those kinds of speeds? I know someone said 20mpbs, but that kind of speed simply isn't available for my area.

Has there been any more technical details with how the connection for online play will work? At what point will it pause it because of lag? There's something similar like that for starcraft 2 if one of the players is lagging super hard. It sounds like it's been well thought out though(better than I had hoped).
I have 6 down and 5 up, and I've been able to play online on different games without a problem. 3mb doesn't seem like a huge threat really, but the second someone else in your household starts using the Internet intensively, you'll start lagging without a doubt. We'll found out very soon anyway, release date is hours away

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
I think ping is more important than download/upload speed for a good online experience.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
We'll see how good the netcode is one the entire world has it. The lag as is, for now, is based on user's internet connection.

JonJon

Smash Cadet
NNID
jonjon_phelps
From what I have seen the game doesn't seem to "lag" much. From the streams I have watched the games seems to pause until the internet catches up. I think that is much better than the game constantly being and slow.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
I had some concerns about this, but seriously: If your connection's good, online matches feel just like local matches! Of course, every player with a bad connection adds up to the total lag in the game. So you better test it out in For-Glory 1-on-1 matches.
this. i have played some REALLY AWFUL laggy matches, bug when i politely drop out after the match and join a different player or group it's usually pretty flawless.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Am I weird because more than once I have entertained the thought of moving to SK because the country's (i am fairly positive) broadband connection is the fastest in the world. Tons of fiber optic technology, some of the leading telecommunication and other tech industries are products of SK or SK's collaboration with other businesses. LOL I am the king of off topic, sorry.

ANYWAY.

I hope the game does not lag for me tonight, my internet is good but in the past I have never had the best connection quality luck when it came down to online gaming. Boy what I would give to have fiber optic internet available with zero data restrictions lol

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
I hope the game does not lag for me tonight, my internet is good but in the past I have never had the best connection quality luck when it came down to online gaming. Boy what I would give to have fiber optic internet available with zero data restrictions lol
Same here. My WiiU internet seems to act very strangely even though I have a good PC connection. I hope the 3DS doesn't give me the same problems.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Same here. My WiiU internet seems to act very strangely even though I have a good PC connection. I hope the 3DS doesn't give me the same problems.
This may seem odd to most people here, but I really would not mind having an Ethernet port on my 3ds..... I absolutely love wireless capabilities on virtually any device/platform/gadget, particularly my Nintendo handheld. While local play has worked without the slightest hiccup and is a total blast. I am now ready to give online a go..... I am almost afraid to try lol SSB4 has been nothing but totally satisfactory, I am in constant awe with every new thing available as well as just how polished the final project is. Smash "lite" LOL suuuuure

Anyway, please wish me luck with the connection haha, I do not want to start day dreaming of a port that likely would not work unless it is done by Nintendo themselves, HAH.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Played around 30 matches with @jaeohjae and only a few matches had any noticeable lag. One of the matches lagged so much it was unplayable, though xD

cptnOlimar

Smash Rookie
I think if the connection of one of the participants is bad, the game slows down for everyone. I've had games smooth as silk and games laggy as hell.

Last edited:

CitizenSNIPS

Smash Cadet
I always have some lag. It was extremely bad the first few matches, literally could not time anything and a few times my opponent SD'd. Now I typically get into good matches but there is stil a little lag. It probably wouldn't be noticeable if there wasn't a lag-free warmup as you are waiting for the match to start. I'm at least able to time things and chase guys off the stage. But it gets a bit messy when they are up close sometimes the lag makes it difficult to react

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Test your internet and find your Ping. The lower the number the better.

Stilll Alive

Smash Cadet
There is going to be a half second lag always when it's online, not one game I've played so far as felt as good as single player does, so if that's all your feeling it's normal

Top Bottom