• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Guide to With Anyone Mode

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
A few things:
  • It's seventy seconds each time a person joins, not sixty.
  • You can have a shield of four different colors. Whatever shield color you have tells what player you really are. If you have a red shield, you're host. Shield colors can't be changed while in the room.
  • Dropping out in the middle of a match results in a CPU player, signified by a distinctive silver shield color.
  • Once your in a room, finding people is faster. For example, if you enter a room and everyone leaves, you'll notice that people come quicker than if you just entered the group.
  • A strategy that many players use to survive in Sudden Death is planking. There are also spots in some stages where Bob-Ombs don't spawn. There are some spots that with proper DI and teching (cave of immortality in Temple or Shadow Moses Island with both walls up), you can survive at high percentages, possibly never die.
  • Sometimes you are thrashing a guy and someone comes in and takes your kill without doing any work. This kill leaching and is usually one of the strategies many people use to win. It's annoying but you may need it to win.
  • I really don't think button mashing is enough to slow down the game. I got two turbo controllers and held down the buttons in turbo mode, and there was no lag. Or it wasn't significant enough.
  • Rolling and shielding is very useful on With Anyone because it is much harder to punish. People who roll like crazy are difficult to fight because it's harder to punish them. If a guy keeps rolling behind you, you may find yourself attempting a reverse F-smash to punish him but instead end up getting out F-smashed. Everything that can be punished offline can probably be punished online so you just have to find a way around the lag. Adapt yourself to the lag and maybe you can teach those dodge happy spammers a lesson.
  • You may want to explain the two types of lag: Regular lag, and input lag. Regular lag is the speed of the game slowing down slightly due to reasons such as wireless interference on someone's connection, or maybe Nintendo's servers being bad. If it is bad, you may notice the game freezing every once in a while. There is always some type of lag. The minimum lag was reported to be six frames by someone but another report was somewhere around twenty-seven. Input lag is a delay for the servers to register button inputs as the name suggests. I'm not sure if there is a minimum of input lag. You may notice Gamecube controllers have a very slight amount of input lag. This is not online's fault, it is a problem with the Wii hardware.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
A few things:
  • It's seventy seconds each time a person joins, not sixty.
  • You can have a shield of four different colors. Whatever shield color you have tells what player you really are. If you have a red shield, you're host. Shield colors can't be changed while in the room.
  • Dropping out in the middle of a match results in a CPU player, signified by a distinctive silver shield color.
  • Once your in a room, finding people is faster. For example, if you enter a room and everyone leaves, you'll notice that people come quicker than if you just entered the group.
  • A strategy that many players use to survive in Sudden Death is planking. There are also spots in some stages where Bob-Ombs don't spawn. There are some spots that with proper DI and teching (cave of immortality in Temple or Shadow Moses Island with both walls up), you can survive at high percentages, possibly never die.
  • Sometimes you are thrashing a guy and someone comes in and takes your kill without doing any work. This kill leaching and is usually one of the strategies many people use to win. It's annoying but you may need it to win.
  • I really don't think button mashing is enough to slow down the game. I got two turbo controllers and held down the buttons in turbo mode, and there was no lag. Or it wasn't significant enough.
  • Rolling and shielding is very useful on With Anyone because it is much harder to punish. People who roll like crazy are difficult to fight because it's harder to punish them. If a guy keeps rolling behind you, you may find yourself attempting a reverse F-smash to punish him but instead end up getting out F-smashed. Everything that can be punished offline can probably be punished online so you just have to find a way around the lag. Adapt yourself to the lag and maybe you can teach those dodge happy spammers a lesson.
  • You may want to explain the two types of lag: Regular lag, and input lag. Regular lag is the speed of the game slowing down slightly due to reasons such as wireless interference on someone's connection, or maybe Nintendo's servers being bad. If it is bad, you may notice the game freezing every once in a while. There is always some type of lag. The minimum lag was reported to be six frames by someone but another report was somewhere around twenty-seven. Input lag is a delay for the servers to register button inputs as the name suggests. I'm not sure if there is a minimum of input lag. You may notice Gamecube controllers have a very slight amount of input lag. This is not online's fault, it is a problem with the Wii hardware.
Thanks! I have added several of the bullets especially 1-3 to the guide.

About the lag thing... heh

This is actually a point of contention with me. There is the idea that lag is 100 percent unavoidable but ... for all intents and purposes that's not saying a whole lot, when you consider yes obviously there's a split second delay from when you hit "attack!" to when your character's animation follows suite, but offline, this delay is fairly unnoticeable (unless you're Data or something) while online, this is increased it -can- be just as negligible as offline. As for slow-downs (not input lag, but connection lag) well, yeah, i tried to apologize on behalf of nintendo by pointing out this is what people would have expected 10 15 years ago, so get over it kinda thing. But the input lag issue I can't ... in good conscious make a big deal out of it because I personally rarely experience more than normal. I also do not suffer from controller lag nor did I know it existed, but I may consider adding this info because people don't all use the wiichuck combo and may wonder why their control is worse when using a GC controller.

All great input, I really appreciate it! I took the liberty of crediting you with your idea, this Guide will soon be finding itself added to the gamefaqs roster so keep the suggestions comin' ... I have been working on With Anyone Character rosters and matchup potentials but this is going to take far longer and anticipated for version 1.5

PS I did consider your thought on Button Mashing. This seems to be dependent on the network stability. I too have used turbos while in this mode with no problem, but then there are times when its obvious everyone's mashing away and the whole game will slow down badly, so I figure this is a -potential- problem but not always the case.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! I have added several of the bullets especially 1-3 to the guide.

About the lag thing... heh

This is actually a point of contention with me. There is the idea that lag is 100 percent unavoidable but ... for all intents and purposes that's not saying a whole lot, when you consider yes obviously there's a split second delay from when you hit "attack!" to when your character's animation follows suite, but offline, this delay is fairly unnoticeable (unless you're Data or something) while online, this is increased it -can- be just as negligible as offline. As for slow-downs (not input lag, but connection lag) well, yeah, i tried to apologize on behalf of nintendo by pointing out this is what people would have expected 10 15 years ago, so get over it kinda thing. But the input lag issue I can't ... in good conscious make a big deal out of it because I personally rarely experience more than normal. I also do not suffer from controller lag nor did I know it existed, but I may consider adding this info because people don't all use the wiichuck combo and may wonder why their control is worse when using a GC controller.

All great input, I really appreciate it! I took the liberty of crediting you with your idea, this Guide will soon be finding itself added to the gamefaqs roster so keep the suggestions comin' ... I have been working on With Anyone Character rosters and matchup potentials but this is going to take far longer and anticipated for version 1.5

PS I did consider your thought on Button Mashing. This seems to be dependent on the network stability. I too have used turbos while in this mode with no problem, but then there are times when its obvious everyone's mashing away and the whole game will slow down badly, so I figure this is a -potential- problem but not always the case.
I see you're point on the lag. I never have problems with it either. And about button mashing, maybe it depends on the player's connection. My router is pretty decent so i guess that's why I didn't notice any significant changes in speed. The gamecube controller lag is actually very minimal and hard to notice. I think it's somwhere around only ten frames. Or maybe that was buffer. :p
And the whole shield color is mostly useful to hackers since some codes require you to be host in order to properly work.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
A few things:
If only. There'd be a lot less lag.

Nintendo WFC actually runs Wii-to-Wii, no servers for us unfortunately.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Well I have finally finished my first character data compilation. It is available in the updated guide, or directly here:

http://www.sucumbio.info/brawl/character.htm

This character data model and analysis has been brought to you by compiling the results of one whole year of online brawl with anyone matches. Phew. Yah, over 18,000 brawls. The ratings of each character are based on the median skill level of With Anyone mode players encountered, their typical character picks, and their subsequent likelihood to score KO's.

The % chance of victory is an average based on the number of times a character is encountered vs how many times they actually won with that character.

This is a guideline, of course, not to be taken as gospel. You will always find a brawler who can beat you regardless of who you pick and who they pick, unless you're top notch pro in which case With Anyone doesn't really interest you much anyway :p

BSP

Smash Legend
Nice. I think the appearance thing is really accurate. I always see a lucas or ike(good thing mario gimps them hard). Rollers are annoying, but once you can predict their rolls, they're simple. I walked while someone kept rolling and shoryukened them when they hit the edge ^_^

Dracospawn

Smash Journeyman
I could tell you that but then I'f have to...ummmm
With taunt parties, hit and run. Basic brawl is supposed to be a place to well BRAWL not chant annoying taunts. I don't backstab. Obvously running in head first against all of them doesn't do very well most of the time. This strategy works well for me. I can only imagine how many times people said, "why won't this B***** die?" As I corner one take em out and run as I dodge and uses the control stick to be all around difficult. You call it joy kill, I call it standing up against taunt parties everywhere. :p

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Wow, I've not yet commented on how awesome this is? You did a great job with this Sucumbio. Lol, I love how the character match-ups get more and more in-depth as the player skill level rises. Spammy Ike = avoid the fsmash and eruption... nothing else to note :laugh:

:034:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Wow, I've not yet commented on how awesome this is? You did a great job with this Sucumbio. Lol, I love how the character match-ups get more and more in-depth as the player skill level rises. Spammy Ike = avoid the fsmash and eruption... nothing else to note :laugh:

:034:
LOL! I know, right? It's the mantra of WA, look out for Ike's and their charged fsmash/eruption. hahaha well thanks, yo I did put quite a bit of work into it.

MODs if you don't mind I'd like this thread to be considered to be added to the Catalog. That way it doesn't disappear nor would it require bumping every few weeks. Though there may not be tons of discussion on it now (cause a lot of it is already known) the dreaded WA Tier List is about 40% complete and when it hits may receive a bit of scrutiny.. eh, I dunno, whatever you guys think but I'd feel more comfortable knowing I don't have to bump my own thread ^^; (though thanks to Dracospawn for doing it this time :chuckle:)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
well we'll see what happens ^^ meanwhile, I just finished that beast stage list >< Feels like homework haha jk

Top Bottom