• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Confusion

Fate?

Smash Rookie
Link to original post: [drupal=1396]Online Confusion[/drupal]

I wake up this morning, same as any day (excited for a special event) and decide to visit SWF, see if anyone has answered my Link questions, browse the Marth boards, and then come here and see another one of these shout out things (among other things).

This is where confusion arrises, how are so many people just so "close" and "trusting" to one another, friends if you will. Is it out of respect for another's skill, do you come here seeking recognition because you have none in real life, is it the fact you share interests with others here? I ask, how can one create these bonds with people you dont even (and ever will) know, people you emotionally invest into, only to be tossed aside once you no longer amused them, and drift away from these fantasy bonds, and back into reality. I came to this site out of my love of Smash and desire to participate and win tournaments, not waste my time or theres in some pointless friendship. Some people call this cold, I call it realism, you can never truly know someone, everyone hides their true self just to appease to the masses, and should a discrepency rise in that mass, they all eliminate it.

I end simply by asking, How, how can people here be so trusting (or deceitful) and maintain these "friendships"

finalark

SNORLAX
And I thought I was cynical.

Yes, you're probably never going to meet anyone here face-to-face. But there are people you have points of views that opinions likewise to yours. This creates respect for said person, and often times, the person respects you in return. This builds up a sort of "friendship." And I use that word very loosely.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I never came here intending to make friends.

After hanging out in certain sections of SWF for long enough you start to get in with a certain community and you start to find people with common interests etc.

Plus, this place is full of awesome and funny people, so after a while you'll all get attached to one another. You might start talking on IM etc, and a lot of people here, especially tourney goers, will know each other irl.

This is a community, with thousands and thousands of people. You come in all cold hearted and not wanting to talk to anyone, but we're all human, and we all grow to like other people eventually.

It's hard to explain, but people here are just plain awesome.

PROTIP: User Blogs has an awesome community.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Because having discussions with a ton of people isn't fun if you're all mindless robots and don't express your opinions at all to avoid any sort of actual human feelings?

You could go about your friends high school and earlier the same way. You're HIGHLY unlikely to talk to most of your friends in high school ever again once you graduate. I guess you should spend high school alone and without friends and make it your goal to get the best grades you can and nothing more, since you're going to part eventually?

Hell, everyone you know in life is eventually going to forget about you or die off once you die, so uh...why make friendships at all?

Also, your "I'm here to win tournaments, not make friends" attitude reminds me of the rival from Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal...

bobson

Smash Lord
I end simply by asking, How, how can people here be so trusting (or deceitful) and maintain these "friendships"
Because we are human.
Why should I go to the store when someone could mug me and steal my wallet on the way there? Why do I go to any large building when someone could blow it up? Why do I live when I might die in the next minute?

finalark

SNORLAX
Some people call this cold, I call it realism, you can never truly know someone, everyone hides their true self just to appease to the masses, and should a discrepency rise in that mass, they all eliminate it.
If that's the case than what's the point of having a friendship with anyone? Yes, it's no lie that you can never truly know someone. But so what? What matters is that you're around and speaking with people that you like. I don't need to know someone's every secret to be a friend to them.

OutlawStar

Smash Apprentice
You seriously think you are the only one with feelings?
Life isn`t that bad you know. I`d rather risk trusting everyone then
never get any possible friends.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
You're saying theres no "friends" or "emotions" online?
There are a few people here that I love talking to, that I have similar interests and hobbies with. That make me laugh and feel happy. If that isn't emotion and friendship then I don't know what is.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
This guy needs to calm down...

G/S/C rival was the best one btw. :x

Fate?

Smash Rookie
Im aware everyone here has feelings, however no one is truly truthful of them, there are good people out there in this online world, am I one of them, Ive done alot of bad things, Im no more trustworthy than anyone, but its through my experiences that show me that quite frankly, this is a scary, bad world, I wish I could believe otherwise, but I just cant anymore, maybe someone will surprise me, but I cant trust again, I say these words only to help ensure no one is hurt like I was, that showing any emotional investment to others just leads to pain, there are exceptions, but this is the norm, look down upon me, pity me, flame me, w/e, but that will never hurt me anymore, once you give up on gaining anything, thats when you get everything, and my everything is a happy life with my irl friends and family.

I will admit I overreact and emphasize the bad, so Ill run an experiment, one to try and live by the good, that in moderation, these friendships are real and can flourish. I apologize if my words offended anyone, but as is the point of blogs, its the ability to express ones thoughts and feelings with no fear of persecution.

Lol, that trainer...I always thought he was a d****e

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Im aware everyone here has feelings, however no one is truly truthful of them, there are good people out there in this online world, am I one of them, Ive done alot of bad things, Im no more trustworthy than anyone, but its through my experiences that show me that quite frankly, this is a scary, bad world, I wish I could believe otherwise, but I just cant anymore, maybe someone will surprise me, but I cant trust again, I say these words only to help ensure no one is hurt like I was, that showing any emotional investment to others just leads to pain, there are exceptions, but this is the norm, look down upon me, pity me, flame me, w/e, but that will never hurt me anymore, once you give up on gaining anything, thats when you get everything, and my everything is a happy life with my irl friends and family.

I will admit I overreact and emphasize the bad, so Ill run an experiment, one to try and live by the good, that in moderation, these friendships are real and can flourish. I apologize if my words offended anyone, but as is the point of blogs, its the ability to express ones thoughts and feelings with no fear of persecution.

Im sorry to hear about what happened.
But yeah, SWF has some of the best people on the internets 8D
I love swfs community so much, even the noobs are awesome, maxfire is an example.

finalark

SNORLAX

To be honest, I hate this world that we live in and most of its inhabitants. I could go on for hours about what I think about it. But I won't for the sake of reaching my point. Like you, I'm hesitant to trust (which is why I almost never talk about my personal life in blog posts). But that doesn't stop me from enjoying the virtual company of those who share a residence in the user blogs section.

And "douche" is what I named my rival in Firered when I played through it.

Top Bottom