• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One Piece

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I've gotta admit, I love this manga.

Now, saying that might seem weird to people who've only seen the American anime, but that's because the American anime is total crap. Honestly, the Japanese anime isn't all that great either.

However, the original manga is among my favorites. It's definitely my favorite Shounen Jump manga. It combines action, humour and adventure in an absolutely wonderful way, and so far it's just gotten better.

EDIT: And by the way, it's the most popular manga in Japan. Volume 24 of the manga was the best selling book ever in Japan until, strangely enough, the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
Lol, somebody's been to Wikipedia. One Piece is also the only anime in HD. It looks SOOOOO pretty!!!!

So I ask you, Mediocre, why is it that you say the anime is no good? I am all caught up in the anime AND the manga, and I believe the anime better. I would hear your opinion.

Don't get me started on the American version. I'm just glad 4Kids no longer has the rights.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Lol, somebody's been to Wikipedia.
Yep.

One Piece is also the only anime in HD. It looks SOOOOO pretty!!!!

So I ask you, Mediocre, why is it that you say the anime is no good? I am all caught up in the anime AND the manga, and I believe the anime better. I would hear your opinion.
Well, just to make sure I wasn't totally off base, I checked out one of the more recent One Piece episodes on youtube. Look here. First, look at the animation. I can't call it anything but shoddy. Look at Spandam talking around 1:40. The only freaking thing that moves is his mouth, and that's true for the rest of the talking that I've seen too. The combat fares slightly better, but take a gander at the action between 2:49 and 2:54. There characters aren't moving at all. Then look at Luffy's movement around 2:40. You can see the individual frames. Both of those shortcuts are simply inexcusable. The purpose of animation is to give the impression of movement, and if it doesn't give that impression it's worthless.

Overall, the animation is lower quality than I would expect to see in an anime from ten years ago. Today, it's absolutely inexcusable, especially when your base material is the most popular manga in Japan.

Compare other Shounen Jump properties that have made the transition into anime. This animation is definitely lower than Naruto quality. It's a large step down from Bleach. Death Note's animation is almost incomparably better. Honestly, he only Shounen Jump animation I can compare it to is Dragon Ball Z. I'll admit it's better than that, but only by a hair. It uses all the same horrible shortcuts that DBZ uses, it just manages to use them a little bit less.

Next, consider the jokes in the manga verus those in the anime. For me, the jokes in the manga flow much better than those in the anime. This is largely the fault of the animation. The quality of the animation makes transitions worse, and the reactions much less organic and, therefore, funny. Although I say this is the fault of the animation, humour is such an important component of One Piece that I felt it ought to be considered seperately.

So for me, the anime kills both the combat and the humour of One Piece. What's left? The storyline? Honestly, that's never been one of One Piece's strong points, even in the manga. The only thing of any value that remains is the characters, and those come through just as clearly in the manga as they do in the anime.

I'd really like to enjoy the anime, but I just can't. I'm glad I decided to give the manga a chance, but if I'd tried the Japanese anime before the manga, I'd probably think badly of One Piece to this day.

Don't get me started on the American version. I'm just glad 4Kids no longer has the rights.
Well, I'll agree with you there. As bad as I think the Japanese One Piece anime is, 4Kids made it even worse.

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
You make some valid points, most of which I agree on, but you know what? I think the reason I enjoy the anime more IS because of the characters. Eiichiro Oda has created some of my favorite characters ever. Franky, IMO is pure genius. Between the anime and the manga, I believe the anime does a better job with character development. I get a better understanding of each characters laugh, personality, etc.

So tell me, what do you think of Brook?

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
You make some valid points, most of which I agree on, but you know what? I think the reason I enjoy the anime more IS because of the characters. Eiichiro Oda has created some of my favorite characters ever. Franky, IMO is pure genius. Between the anime and the manga, I believe the anime does a better job with character development. I get a better understanding of each characters laugh, personality, etc.
Well, I can't really argue with you here, because I haven't seen enough of the anime to understand how well it develops the characters. I don't really understand how it would be better though, given that, except for fillers, it's directly making use of the manga. Unless you tell me that there's some ridiculously good character development going on in the filler, I don't see how the manga could be better in this department either.

But, hey, whatever. You're welcome to like the anime, even if I don't.

So tell me, what do you think of Brook?
He's absolutely hilarious. That's probably the quickest that Luffy's asked somebody to join the crew, too.

I'm fairly sure he's going to join, but it'll probably take a while.

Maverick-X

Smash Rookie
well, i'm gonna jump into this conversation....

Manga-wise, I love the hell outta of it. I use to a Naruto-fanboy, but this took it by far.

Now Anime-wise, I think its great. I believe it does alot what the Manga can't do. Dyse showed some good examples of it. Sure, its kinda filler, but i found it hilarious. As for the animation, you can't expect every episode to be the quality of say like an anime movie, they don't have an unlimited amount of animaters and money, but I think they are doing a great job and doesn't look like its half-***** like 2nd Chunin Exam of Naruto(Now that was terrible).

I'm not trying to down anyone's opinion here, but Mediocre, just give the anime try instead of just judging it from a few episodes you've seen. But hey, OP FTW. lol ^_^

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
What you have not seen in the anime are things such as Sogeking's theme song. Greatest moments in One Piece history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2brhmiyCh5M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrSleS35woU&NR
Those were funny, but they're not enough. Not to mention both those gags are directly based on the manga.

As for the animation, you can't expect every episode to be the quality of say like an anime movie, they don't have an unlimited amount of animaters and money, but I think they are doing a great job and doesn't look like its half-***** like 2nd Chunin Exam of Naruto(Now that was terrible).
The second Chuunin exam of Naruto was filler. I don't expect great animation from filler episodes. In fact, I don't expect great anything from filler episodes. I would expect less from One Piece filler too.

I do expect decent animation in the main show. I don't know why you think I want "anime movie" quality, because I never said I wanted that. What I want is animation that's at least comparable to other, similar anime titles. As such, I compared it to other Shounen Jump anime series, and it fails to meet the animation standards of Death Note, Bleach, or even Naruto. The fact that it can be more easily and accurately compared to Dragon Ball Z, and anime that ended ten years ago, speaks volumes about the lack of quality in the animation in One Piece.

One Piece animation is absolutely pathetic by modern standards.

I'm not trying to down anyone's opinion here, but Mediocre, just give the anime try instead of just judging it from a few episodes you've seen. But hey, OP FTW. lol ^_^
I think "giving the anime a try" is judging by a few episodes. What do you want me to do? Watch the entirity of a show I don't like before I'm entitled to say I don't like it?

Bull****.

I've watched the series enough to know that, for me, its faults are much, much worse than anything it has going for it. A few humorous moments (the ones Dyse posted) are not enough the redeem the series from its flaws.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
So tell me, Mediocre, what anime series DO you watch because of respectable animation?
I won't watch any show soley for the animation. But decent animation is a must for me if I'm going to spend my time watching a show. I can point out a lot of shows that have animation that I enjoy watching. Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist, Eureka Seven, Witch Hunter Robin, and sometimes Bleach. Naruto's animation is nothing special, but it gets the job done and doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the show. It doesn't enhance it either, but the characters, story and combat are enough to keep me watching.

In my opinion, great animation isn't enough by itself to make a great show. But really bad animation is enough to kill a show. For me, One Piece's animation kills the show.

But hey, I still really enjoy the manga, and I'm fine with other people liking the show! It's not as if I'm saying you shouldn't. By all means, have fun watching the anime! But I won't because (and only because) the animation isn't up to snuff. I think it's a shame, really.

Oh well. So it goes.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Do you think the animators should kill the HD and work only on the animation?
I haven't watched enough of the anime to really have an opinion on that.

So, does anybody have a favorite Straw Hat crew member? Favorite villain? I'm asking mostly because I'm getting tired of just discussing the quality of the anime.

My favorite crew member is probably Luffy, followed closely by Robin. Nevermind that they're almost opposite in personality. I think that without Luffy's wackiness the manga wouldn't be anywhere near as funny as it is, and Robin's cool-headedness is just so unique (at least in the world of One Piece), that it's very refreshing. And both of their abilities are absolutely awesome.

My favorite villain so far would have to be Enel (the "God" with the lightning powers), and Admiral Aokiji (if you can call him a villain), just because he completely overpowered the Strawhats, and it seems like he's probably indicative of the enemies they'll have to face in the future.

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
My favorite strawhat member is Usopp. Everything about him amazes me. My favorite villain is Buggy and Ao Kiji. Buggy because he's just an awesome character. Genius, IMO. Ao Kiji is hardcore, AND I like his personality and sense of justice. He's like Smoker. There are so many characters that I like, though. I named all of my WoW characters after miner One Piece characters. Ones you only see once, but still remember, lol.

Maverick-X

Smash Rookie
My favorite StrawHat member is probably either Luffy or Franky, always puts a smile to my face ^_^
as for Villians, I think Crocodile was the best.... he's not my favorite, but I think he's the one that pissed you off the most as a bad guy, and did a **** good job of it. But my favorite bad guy is either Jango or Mr.2, soooo great, genius!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It seems to be a pretty good anime. I've only seen the first 100 or so episodes.

The voice acting in the dub is terrible, though. >_> (which is why I don't watch the dub.)

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
I love One Piece, it's my favorite manga and a huge inspiration to me.

The newest episode was pretty awesome with
Sanji's Diable Jambe against Jyabura.
Though I agree that there are many skips in animation quality. Though I prefer the colors of the new episodes, I think the older episodes were more consistent with the animation.

My favorite Strawhat is Sanji. When he wants to be, he is by far the most badass. His fights are my favorite and although he isn't the funniest (In my opinion, Luffy is) he can be pretty funny.

Favorite villain is Crocodile or
Lucci
. Crocodile just seemed to be the perfect villain, though he was a little cocky to leave as soon as he thought he killed Luffy, twice.
Lucci may not have much depth to him, but he was **** cool and was Luffy's strongest opponent yet.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
In general, I despise anime and manga. However, the only two exceptions are One Piece and Cowboy Bebop.

I have always enjoyed the kind of epic children stories of extravagant lands and daring feats, and One Piece does that perfectly. Not only that, but Oda has mixed in more adult (not incredibly mature, but close) plots and ideas. And, above all, the imagination that goes into it is pure genius, with out a doubt.

Also, Sanji's my favorite.

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
Rob Lucci is not the strongest opponent Luffy has fought. Ao Kiji and Garp are both WAY stronger than Luffy. Ao Kiji defeated Luffy in a fight, and Garp is the only person in the world who can do damage to Luffy with just his fists. Garp and Ao Kiji would destroy Rob Lucci.

EDIT: Also, Captain Smoker beat him also.

valtiel

Smash Journeyman
I never liked One Piece but hearing you guys talk about how good the manga is makes me want to read it. ugh i hate the theme song! so should I read the manga guys is it way better than the anima?

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
There isn't even a comparison; the manga is much better than the anime.

The reason why the anime is so bad is because 4Kids decided to make it target a very young audience as opposed to the audience the author targeted for (namely from around 16 to early twenties). So they dubbed it with stupid puns and took out every adult plot or element. That and the voice acting on whole is pretty abysmal.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Rob Lucci is not the strongest opponent Luffy has fought. Ao Kiji and Garp are both WAY stronger than Luffy. Ao Kiji defeated Luffy in a fight, and Garp is the only person in the world who can do damage to Luffy with just his fists. Garp and Ao Kiji would destroy Rob Lucci.

EDIT: Also, Captain Smoker beat him also.
God Enel was also much stronger than Lucci. The only reason Luffy was able to win against him was because he happened to get lucky in terms of the devil fruit powers match up. If Luffy had had just about any other devil fruit power, he would have been toast.

I never liked One Piece but hearing you guys talk about how good the manga is makes me want to read it. ugh i hate the theme song! so should I read the manga guys is it way better than the anima?
As Virgilijus said, the manga is far superior. I would even recommend avoiding the Japanese version of the anime. I think the manga is the best version of the story available.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
As usual, I can't stand how they make the main character so goofy on One Piece. Monkey D. Luffy is a joke! I only watched the show and read the anime because Sanji's fighting style is so different and unorthodox to say the least.

Sanji for the win!

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
As usual, I can't stand how they make the main character so goofy on One Piece. Monkey D. Luffy is a joke! I only watched the show and read the anime because Sanji's fighting style is so different and unorthodox to say the least.

Sanji for the win!
Personally, I think Monkey D. Luffy is a great character. Completely unbelievable, but I'm willing to suspend my belief for One Piece.

If you want realistic, believable main characters, you really shouldn't be reading shounen manga. There aren't many of them there.

Top Bottom