• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Once in a Lifetime - The Smash Invitational from CT ZeRo's Perspective

Booster

Smash Lord
This is epic and needs to be made into a movie, not a fan movie, a REAL movie, probably an Indie Film.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Hopefully if Nintendo does this again situations like that final match don't happen again.

Especially considering there is a rule that "not actively playing" can get you a temp ban while playing online, I don't understand why what he did wasn't a rule for the tournament.

Because that really sucked all the fun out of watching the tournament to see someone rely on avoiding his opponent to win. He didn't deserve to win.

But its just as much an oversight for Nintendo as his desperate grasp for a victory was.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I hope the Nintendo reps are getting valuable information from the players. They were there for far longer than just Tuesday, and who knows, they may just be playing it right this very moment too.

Big thanks to the Nintendo reps who made this happen, this only means good things for the Smash game, ESPECIALLY exposing gameplay flaws like that. It feels like Sakurai is envisioning a game where everyone plays for fun going all-out on each other, but this reality that was just shown at E3 where there's people who play to win is another thing that's been going on outside his field of view. Hopefully he realizes that now.

King~

Smash Champion
why are people tripping on the final match? there were so many factors that went into it being the way it was. blaming zero isnt fair, hungrybox basically shield camped for two stocks to get the lead. and he avoided combat in most of the ffa's. it was just a bad match up for spectators, those happen in all smash games. finals would have been amazing if t were ppmd vs zero but thats not what we got, blaming zero for a boring match up is dumb

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
The point is, the match ending was lame and defensive, even if the percents were reversed and tournament rules were in affect, it would have been a boring, anticlimactic finish.
You must also take into consideration that Kirby simply had a very bad matchup against Zero Suit Samus. Kirby has aways had trouble approaching, and it's still evident now. You can't blame the game on this one.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
That is what i'm scared of i don't want to go through another defensive smash it wasn't fun for me.
You may have misunderstood me; I'm trying to get across that people shouldn't be writing the game off as overly defensive just because of a matchup in which one character (Kirby) generally has a difficult time approaching. Plus, both players didn't even have much time to practice and learn the new mechanics.

With all the nods to competitive play Sakurai is implementing, I'm going to continue to stay optimistic.. Plus, this isn't even the final product of the game. Nintendo reps at E3 were taking suggestions for improving the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if the issues that make the game slower and more defensive will be fixed by the time the game releases.

Negalith

Smash Cadet
There is a lot more wrong with brawl than tripping, as a matter of fact it's very miniscule. I'm going to leave it at that because I dont wanna start a ****storm, I just wanted to point that out.
Yeah, I'm with you on that, that's why theres a project M SD card in my Wii. The game was broken, unbalanced, and just slow and floaty. I was just pointing out one instance. I have confidence that Namco will make good on good balance changes.

QWA

Smash Apprentice
You must also take into consideration that Kirby simply had a very bad matchup against Zero Suit Samus. Kirby has aways had trouble approaching, and it's still evident now. You can't blame the game on this one.
You are missing the point. What we saw out there was that lame, defensive game play is still going to be a big part of Smash 4. The game looks like it is still going to be filled with people who get a single hit, and run away. That type of game sickens me, and I do not want a series I care so much about to become that forever. I know the game is still in development, and so things may change, but I sure as heck don't like what I'm seeing.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
You are missing the point. What we saw out there was that lame, defensive game play is still going to be a big part of Smash 4. The game looks like it is still going to be filled with people who get a single hit, and run away. That type of game sickens me, and I do not want a series I care so much about to become that forever. I know the game is still in development, and so things may change, but I sure as heck don't like what I'm seeing.
You're not getting the big picture I'm trying to deliver to you, but okay. Not trying to start debates.

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
This was a very good read, in fact I REALLY enjoyed every last word of it and the way you put it all! Congrats on your victory! Also thanks for going through all of the trouble typing this to share your experience with us. Makes me hope that we'll meet someday...

Yams Everywhere

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1934-0304
Not to seem salty or anything, but zero shouldn't have won that tournament. He was clearly stalling out the timer when he had the percent deficit, and he realized that the only way he could have beaten h-box was during sudden death. Hungry Box should have won because of the significant percent advantage, but zero had to resort to cheap tactics to even have a chance. No offense zero, but H-box should have won.

Fig Newton

Smash Cadet
NNID
Figglypuff
I'm glad he wrote this. It shows the immense feeling he has for smash and that he's so involved with everything. Even though in honesty I was rooting for Hbox in grand finals, Zero played the game right in the end and won. A win is a win right? It doesn't matter how you slice out that win, he pulled it off.

The thing that gets me the most is that all the people posting comments and that were on twitter last night were so butthurt about the way the finals ended. It's anticlimactic to a sense, yes, but the guy won. Feel a little bit grateful, alright? And don't complain about the game yet. You just saw an ALPHA build of the game, and didn't get to touch it yourselves. All this talk about "I can't do another defensive game," all I hear is "I won't buy this garbage because it's not melee." Stop, grow up, try something new, and stop killing people's fun.

All the people on the stage had a good time, even Hbox who came in second. He congratulated Zero and hung out with him and supported him through his win. He didn't get really upset and cry over it. Honestly, the smash community is more sad about Hbox losing than Hbox is himself. Appreciate what you get people.

Back to what is at hand, Zero, good job on everything that you did. You played well and did everything just the way you needed to to win. Glad to see things worked out in your favor with all of your hard work. It's awesome that you got to meet Reggie and Sakurai and play some awesome players. Feel the love, dude, and keep the hype going!
This practically sums up my thoughts on the Smash Invitational. As soon as I heard that Hungrybox was in the tournament, I immediately supported him all the way. That's not to say that I dislike the other players, but because with Jigglypuff not in the game yet, Hungrybox had to choose a different character that wasn't his usual main and thus gave him a bit more of a challenge as other players were used to seeing their character back in Brawl, Melee, or Project M. I will admit, I disliked that Zero had to play defensively, but in the end of the day, he still won. People and fans have to stop having this mentality that the Grand Finals ruined the tournament because it obviously didn't. Despite that Hungrybox didn't win and Zero played defensively, give the man credit for how he won and you can't just ignore the energy that theater had. I felt it on the screen as if I was actually there. Keep in the mind, this game is in development so changes will be made every single day until it is released. Congrats to Zero for winning, you played very well out there.

Really the only complaint I have with the tournament was the Celebrity Math. Zelda Williams was practically the only one I cared about. The other three felt so out of place that I even questioned myself if they have even heard of Smash Bros. When I thought Celebrity, I figured it would be people well known within the Nintendo/Smash community or at least people we know. Charles Martinet, Koji Kondo, Eiji Aonuma, Reggie Fils-Amie and Sakurai himself are just a few people that would have been a better choice than all that Teen Wolf nonsense.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
There are several factors that led to the way grand finals went, but I don'[t see any of them being the game itself, here are the biggest 3 in my observations:

TIMER: A short time limit is automatically going to support more defensive play in any smash game, especially with a character as mobile as Zamus. Once you get a good enough lead the meta game is going to be all about maintaining it, especially as the timer gets lower.

MATCHUP: Kirby was naturally at a disadvantage against a character like Zamus who has a plethora of spacing tools at her disposal, It's literally like bringing a knife to a gunfight, of coarse Hbox is gonna maintain a safe distance so he doesn't rack up damage, which segways into my final point;

IT'S GRAND FINALS OF THE FIRST EVER NINTENDO SMASH TOURNAMENT!!
of coarse they're going to be careful, this is their dream on the line and do you think they're gonna potentially throw it away trying to do something risky? Especially since this is a game they didn't have as much practice with? Who wouldn't be overly cautious in this situation, who wouldn't play it safe when the pressure is this immense, I guarantee you every single person here would've behaved exactly the same in this circumstance; playing it safe and Defensively.

That's not the fault of the game itself, it's entirely the players. Now say what you want about Zero's tactics, THEY WORKED. But above all else he played smart, he knew how to play up to his characters strengths and how to use them against his opponents owns strengths, throughout that match match both of them made SMART decisions. But the smart decisions don't always mean the most glamorous or flashy, but they get you to win. Bottom line. Given that these players had very limited access to the game, that's what's going to guarantee a victory. Hbox was just very unfortunate to get a bad matchup against him.

I was rooting for him but I still think Zero deserved the win because he knew how to play the matchup to his advantage, and I promise you, if you guys where in his situation, you had a lead and that timer was going down, and you had a character with superior range, Why wouldn't you stall it till sudden death? It's the logical strategy to make if you want to win.

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
This game looks 10/10 bad to me. Oh well at least we still have melee.

"Oh come on that post had no substance"
Not enough space in the posts text limit to completely explain why melee is better so I don't even bother

"Then why did you bother to post it at all"
No you

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
This game looks 10/10 bad to me. Oh well at least we still have melee.

"Oh come on that post had no substance"
Not enough space in the posts text limit to completely explain why melee is better so I don't even bother

"Then why did you bother to post it at all"
No you
It's like this post was written with the sole purpose of saying "SSB4 sucks because Melee." I personally am getting a lot of 64 vibes from this game, so we should look into it as another experience, like how Project M isn't simply Melee 2.0.

You at least pointed out how silly your own post is in terms of lacking any actual substance, so I like you for that.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
You guys can't judge Smash 4 only from what was shown at the invitational. Play the game and come back. THEN we can talk about whether Smash 4 is defensive or not. Even then, the game is in alpha. Chill out with your negativity, will you?

ryan

Smash Rookie
Hungry deserves it way more(Skill wise).

Last edited:

210stuna

Smash Lord
Why does he use Chu Dat's pose in almost all the pictures :(

If Hbox would have won this article would've been real short like: I won and I'm here, not Mango. The end.

Last edited:
Top Bottom