• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On average, how good are your opponents? [For Glory]

How good are the people you fight on For Glory?

• Really good

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Good

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Fine

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • Average

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Bad

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Really bad

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Potato bad

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
For Glory has plenty of players in it. Sure, we all like to joke about how a player is "As bad as someone on For Glory", but I'm curious: In your experience, how good are the players in For Glory?

I've met some bad players there, obviously, but surprisingly, atleast on the 3DS version, most people there are fine. They're not impeccable, and honestly they're all people I'd have 0 trouble dealing with if the mode had no lag at all (And I do have no problem dealing with them when a miracle happens and the match is playable), but it's not like they're terrible. I've actually met quite a bunch of people who seemed to know what they're doing in this mode, atleast a little bit. Surprisingly, I've not been running into that many :4cloud: (At the time this thread is being written, he's been released very recently), and some of the ones I do run into actually seem to know how to use him half decently.

Of course, I do run into some potatoes. Hell, I JV3'd a Meta Knight yesterday in what probably was the easiest match I've ever had in my entire life playing Smash. I played against first-timers that gave me more difficulty than that guy, since they'd actually manage to scrape, like, 10% off of me before losing the match.

So, what are you guys' experience with the players in this particular mode?

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
As a player without real 1v1 experience before smash 4, i find that 8/10 players on FG are noticeably better than me. I've played over 3000 cpu games on my 3ds while traveling for work, but you generally can't get a 3ds onto hotel wifi for fg. That being said, my mechanics and character control are within reason, but tactically I get outplayed in most FG games. I can usually take a stock, or rack up kill percentage when i get 2 stocked, but I struggle with closing out.

I've played a few other games with real ladders at a very high level, and I must say that the quality of players that I run into on FG is surprising. Maybe very few bad or new players actually play due to the frustration of losing, but from my point of view, my FG opponents are usually relatively refined players that clearly have a good bit of experience.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I can definitely agree to while as common or memetic the jokes are regarding a player's skill in FG may be, it's of course mostly an exaggeration in the long haul. Of the several thousands of players who go online not everyone on FG is automatically going to be some troll or bad player who won't be worth the time. Obviously not every player you run into is going to be someone of tournament level skill of course.

For all the horror stories of FG, every person I usually run into is someone of decent skill. I rarely run into someone who literally doesn't have a good handle on the mechanics of the game or their character that they're easily two stocked with no effort. This mode is easily accessible to anyone and there's no ranking of the sort so yeah you'll tend to come across some peeps who are the typical FG flowchart joke worthy bad or may not even take the mode seriously to begin with to even really care how they're playing or how they come off to an anonymous face online.

I will say I've met some amazing players through FG who I've even added to my Skype, some who don't even own a Smashboards or Anther's account yet are very well in the know of competitive and high level play and chat about it all the time, so it's kind of awesome when you hop into FG and run into some great players like that.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
From the matches I've played:

70% Are decent players. I might win or I might lose. They may be annoying or they may not.
15% Are really experienced, and are usually a blast to play with.
4% Have no idea what they're doing.

Then there's that rare 1%, where they're amazing at the game but act like jerks whenever they win.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
It's a bit of a 50/50 for me, but I encounter more dull opponents than those who know what they're doing. So 60/40, then? Or 55/45? Something like that.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
Most of the time my opponents are average, however, that's not saying that I run into bad players.

It's really rare that I find a really good player on FG at all, but when I do I get really excited, that is if I they aren't the first match of the day.

iTheta

Smash Rookie
NNID
CulConnor
If I had to be honest with you right now, I would rate my opponents bad. Yes, they win on occasion, but many times they had spammed, rolled, or were just the personification of a For Glory player. However, based on my own abilities, I believe that they do have some skill in them yet to be shown, but rather prefer to attempt to exploit my weaknesses. And that's what it all boils down to at the end of the battle: who is better prepared. I have a friend of mine who after losing a stock can adjust to their opponent's playstyle quite rapidly and exploit major weaknesses regardless of the matchup.
I believe everyone is average, to say the least, but (trying not to be cocky here) I trump them elsewise.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Anyone else here feels like that the bad For Glory Clouds are somewhat of a minority? Yeah, most are not special, but they're not all bad.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
These days, people HAVE gotten better. It's probably an almost even split for me, but leaning towards bad players side.

Enemy Birds

Smash Cadet
I'm in the "fine" boat. While I can see that most of my opponents aren't great at this game, it works out alright, because I'm not, either. Usually, I can go in expecting a decent match that I could win or lose.

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
I run into slightly below average players most of the time who i play best of 3 and leave, when i do run into a above average player i play them until they leave which is usually after one match :urg:

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It tends to vary a lot with me, as I guess you can say I've seen all of the Poll Options on For Glory.

From what I've noticed some of the better, more skilled players happen to play pretty late at night. During the day I will win a lot of my matches and even two stock a lot of my opponents; however, say at two in the morning if I get on For Glory I get a terrible losing streak for some reason. It's not cause I'm tired but simply because most of the people I face that late is pretty good and know what to do.

So I suppose during the day is when you'll find most of the average players (sometimes the really good ones, but they seem to be rare), and at night is when the better players are out to play. That's coming from my own experience and from what I've noticed though.

I also noticed the "Potato" option. Normally I would say I I've never faced anyone that bad, but that changed a few days ago actually. This guy had to of been new, or at least very young or what but he kept choosing top tier characters and didn't know how to use a single one. Once he chose Captain Falcon while I was ROB the match literally played out with me throwing my Gyro at him continually.

He didn't shield or dodge it. He just... Kept taking it every time I threw it. That's the only move I really had to use on him.

I believe that's the first time I ever faced a "Potato" player. Other than that I know there have been times where I may have came off like that to other players. Although it's extremely rare I will find someone who will not only two stock me, but only take 15% to 28% the whole match cause there's literally nothing I can do against them. They know exactly what to do when to do it and shut me down.

So yeah, it's definitely a varied experience with me. I guess average is the most common I tend to face, while the amazing players as well as the bad ones are a rarity for me to see. There's also spammers and runners too, but those are expected in For Glory now.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I usually encounter people with the same skill level as I am, or average, and other times I counter those who are very good to the point that I would get two stocked, sometimes in less than a minute. Finding people who have no idea what they're doing are also a thing that I usually leave after a match or two to save myself the trouble of making them look bad.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I find just about all types of skill levels. It seems the most common to me are the ones I can beat by about half a stock and the ones that can beat me by half a stock. Players that don't know how the game works are pretty rare, but so are pros that 2-stock me. The skill levels seem well rounded - it feels like they fluctuate slightly above or below my own.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Most of the people I run into FG are average or just flat out bad. I do however occasionally run into experienced players which makes things pretty fun.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I just fought a Falco that was really good. Hm.
Sometimes, For Glory is really surprising with its oponents.

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
Well on 3DS I suffer a lot from LAG but that doesnt stop me from mostly defeating everyone.They are okay I guess..Most of the times when I fight Cloud I have a bad time.Sometimes I get absolutely destroyed but that rarely happens and it usually happens when the guy is either too PRO or I am off my game.

I do meet a lot of TERRIBLE and I mean TERRIBLE players.I once was playing as Lucina fighting this Little Mac guy and he was typical Little Mac player almost.

He kept running into my Neutral B and I just kept spamming it and he didnt learn..Then he tried Side B..He missed I threw him and he failed to recover although he had plenty of space to recover for a Little Mac player (He was next to the ledge)

He then killed himself when trying to aim for Side B.

The thing is after that match he stayed and chose falco over my ZSS and even as Falco he just couldnt recover...He failed to recover.

I also had some very narrow victories where I was getting rekt by this palutena main and I was 1 stock down and she tried to edge guard me but I somehow by the grace of god read it and right air tilted here and she couldnt recover...Idk what she did she was next to the ledge but she couldnt recover.

I have had a very good For Glory experience on Smash 4 honestly.

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
My For Glory experience usually sums up to about:

35% Average skill
20% Above average
15% Equal or above my skill
15% Bad/Spammer
10% Below average
5% Bodied by

Dutch Kirby

Smash Cadet
NNID
WhiscashQueen
3DS FC
3754-9493-1303
Well, it's a mixed bag. I see people who must be really good professionals I won't be able to beat, but I also see players who fall for my Kirbycide/Swallowcide twice in a row. Getting hit by it once is painful, losing all two stocks is just sad...

Satonakas

Smash Cadet
NNID
itsiantime
3DS FC
1693-3665-7953
For me I get the usual OK player, and then a good player usually pops up once in awhile. Sadly there's times where I find the spammer and the roller, now I don't usually get upset at spammers because they're using their long range attacks to their advantage, but the rollers just need to stop please....

Sk8r151

Smash Rookie
NNID
ProfessorSanchez
About average, not as bad as people say though, Occasionally ill find someone good.

kii

Smash Cadet
I think the perception of skill is going to be a little warped depending on what matches you stay for.

For example, I'm usually playing against players as good or better than me, but thats because the 3-4 bad players in-between leave after a single short match, and then I play against the good player for like 20 matches in a row.

to be honest, lately, the people on 3DS for glory have been... disappointing :/
i've only found a few people this week above my skill level, none of which have stayed more than 1 match
i practically 2 stock everyone else, even though i'm still pretty new to the competitive scene

Last edited:

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
For me personally, I have some good but VERY few bad people. Then there's the people who just rekt me entirely
50% Average Skill
10% Below Average
40% Really Good Players Who Kick A**
For the day to night time ratio, I usually go on at night and find way more good people. During the day time I usually find more average people and of course the bad apples pop up anytime.

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
None of them are really at my skill level. Most are leagues better than me and some are so bad I'm pretty sure I'm fighting a toddler. Only occasionally do I get people at my skill level.

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Above average, although I still beat most of them quite easily. Only the people who really know what they're doing match me in skill, usually.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
Most of the people on for glory really aren't that bad. They're good for casuals but bad for tournament level players (I include myself when I say that. I've been to handful of Xanadu's and my record is 1-16...)

But yeah, most of the the people I encounter of FG are around my skill level, with maybe 10% being either really bad or really good.

Bellerophon

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistermaster420
It's pretty inconsistent with me. One moment I'm going against a player who has no idea what a short hop is, and the next person I play is ZeRo in disguise.

Soooooo... my opponents are average overall?

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
It's quite variable.

Sometimes you fight people who will use moves like Kirbys DownB every single time you're under them.
Sometimes I bump into people how arn't that great and switch to Little Mac (and sometimes Cloud) after losing.
Sometimes they're not as good as me, but can beat my weaker characters.
Occasionally, I meet someone on par with me.
And very rarely, I encounter people who are REALLY good. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I fight them until they leave or I get at least one win.

So overall, people are usually worse than me and can't beat my Dedede. However, people who are absolutely terrible at the game and try the same trick over and over are fairly uncommon as well.

JehJehKeyblade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JehJehKeyblade2
Depends on the system.

I have very good matches against very skilled players on Wii U.

On 3DS however... Let's just say I JV3'd someone just yesterday.

SneaselSawashiro

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2853-0750-5008
I've fought plenty of good-to-OP people nowdays; most beginners tend to be rare, while god-tier players tend to be very common : P Mainly because I'm pretty dumb at trying to adapt and I don't put enough time to hermit-practice-grind, thus I just get **** on always.

Just came back from a losing streak against such players, so nowadays I'm just fighting people that show how overmatched I am : P

Why did I have to get this game for my birthday 2 years ago.....?

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Ugh the quality of players is so all over the place that I can't pin down how good the players are. I'd say though overall they're about average, though I can say I've had nasty losses that are genuinely my fault (using flare blitz instead of fly to name an example)

K~SAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
SANHEK
3DS FC
2595-1379-4854
Majority of players I find on FG are better than me
Of course I don't stick around too long with players who aren't lol

D

Deleted member

I lose to more than half of the people I encounter on FG. They're that good

• I almost always lose to Top/High tiers. Sheik is nearly unkillable, Bayonetta gives me a hard time, and don't even get me started on Mario and Corrin.
  • The Mid Tiers are 50/50, but I'd be glad to never fight Bowser or DK (my main) again.
  • I have no problem with the Low Tiers (unless it's Link).
  • Even the Bottom 5 trigger me so much. I can kinda handle Ganondorf, but the rest are salt-inducing.

Lord Dio

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1435-7744-1699
Personally, most of the people I face are really good, my skill level for sure, usually higher. Though there are a few.....for example, last night I came across one who was above my skill level, another I'd say is equal but could be higher if they learned to use mixups and stop spamming side b with faldcon....then this morning I come across first a guy who counter spams, then a guy who absolutely bodied me.
For the most part, really well-trained people with a few exceptions.

Top Bottom