• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On a scale of 1 to 10, How Beautiful would you say Rosalina is in this game?

answer?

Votes: 132 63.8%

Votes: 27 13.0%

Votes: 21 10.1%

Votes: 5 2.4%

Votes: 3 1.4%

Votes: 2 1.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.5%

Votes: 2 1.0%

Votes: 14 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
When I first saw Rosalina I literally thought "Wow Peach looks so much better in this game!"

And then a friend told me that it was a new character.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Joke? I'm not kidding at all. That was literally what I thought.

To be fair, it has nothing to do with Rosalina and Peach looking anything alike, and more to do with the fact that it was the first 3D game for the Wii and characters get redesigned just about every console generation, if not more often than that. So "Peach got a new space dress for Super Mario Galaxy" made sense, until I was told otherwise. Any visual differences in my mind were explained by "Well they redesigned the character again". Little did I realize that Peach would never give up the pink dress.

Aside from the most superficial similarities, Rosalina is nothing like Peach. She doesn't get kidnapped, her "subjects" (children, really) are a lot more useful on average (some Toads are competent and some just run around screaming and flailing at the slightest sign of trouble), and a lot of work has been put into making her a well-defined character. Anyone who knows Mario games or has been following Nintendo for a while knows that she's certainly her own character.

But that doesn't stop my non-gamer dad from mistaking Peach or Daisy for my Rosalina in MK8. It's a mistake that only the most uninitiated make, but it's still an understandable mistake since she's a relatively new character.

More seriously and on topic-

If I had to rank the female characters according to overall attractiveness, I'd put:

Zelda > Rosalina = Palutena > Lucina > Samus ~= Female Robin = Sheik > Wii Fit Trainer > Peach > A huge gap > Creepy Female villagers in dead last

However, by "attractiveness" I mean more than just beauty. Rosalina certainly wins in the beauty department, though I think Palutena makes a strong case.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just still find it silly when people legitimately mix-up the two. It's like mixing up Amy Rose and Blaze from Sonic. Don't mean that in a crude way, but it just baffles me.

And mixing up Rosalina and Elsa is even worse. That's like mixing up Sonic and Mega Man.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Definitely a resounding 10/10. She's even more beautiful than she was in the Mario Galaxy games and also more enchanting. If that's not beautiful or enchanting, then I don't know what is.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Its amazing how many different colours Rosalina looks good in.

Its beautiful. Each of them get a better than perfect score.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
I just still find it silly when people legitimately mix-up the two. It's like mixing up Amy Rose and Blaze from Sonic. Don't mean that in a crude way, but it just baffles me.

And mixing up Rosalina and Elsa is even worse. That's like mixing up Sonic and Mega Man.
I dunno about these analogies...
Amy and Blaze look nothing alike... at all. Peach and Rosalina literally look like they could be related, so I get that.

As with Elsa, I get it too... just the color scheme really even though even that's not 100% the same. They're both human women with long gowns... once again I wouldn't get them mixed up but other people doing that is something I can see. Sonic and Megaman have the color scheme thing too but one is a robot and the other is an anthropomorphic hedgehog so... I don't see that mix up happening either.

I mean I like Rosalina but I don't quite understand it when people try to act like she looks nothing like Peach, as far as I'm aware she was designed to be her distant relative and then that was never delved into... but her design is still there, so... the similarities between the two are still there even though it's easy to tell them apart.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I mean I like Rosalina but I don't quite understand it when people try to act like she looks nothing like Peach, as far as I'm aware she was designed to be her distant relative and then that was never delved into... but her design is still there, so... the similarities between the two are still there even though it's easy to tell them apart.
As I've pointed out before, there are way more differences between the two than people are willing to acknowledge. Their similarities are by virtue of them being in the same art style, nothing more (and even then, Daisy is still closer to Peach than Rosalina).

As for the relations thing, Peach and Rosalina were initially related at some early point in development, but the idea was completely scrapped. Rosalina's early design is much more similar to Peach than her final one, which means they went out of their way to make her look much less like Peach:

Smash Ace
As I've pointed out before, there are way more differences between the two than people are willing to acknowledge. Their similarities are by virtue of them being in the same art style, nothing more (and even then, Daisy is still closer to Peach than Rosalina).

As for the relations thing, Peach and Rosalina were initially related at some early point in development, but the idea was completely scrapped. Rosalina's early design is much more similar to Peach than her final one, which means they went out of their way to make her look much less like Peach:

I'm not arguing that Peach and Rosalina are easy to tell apart, I'm arguing that people just won't be able to tell the two apart without really looking. The examples you gave weren't great just because Amy and Blaze look nothing alike, and with Sonic and Megaman, not only do they not look alike but they're gaming icons that even people who don't play video games know about. Mario, DK, Princess Peach, Bowser, etc... have been around for years, we're in a time where people who grew up with them are now adults, they're gaming icons that have been around for a long time and even people who don't play games know who they are. Rosalina isn't quite there yet, she's popular, but she's not known as much outside of the gaming community as the other characters are. It's not so much that people aren't willing to acknowledge the differences, it's more so that there are still a lot of people out there who don't know who Rosalina is... and also some people are trying to be antagonistic towards Rosalina fans by mocking them and calling her a Peach clone, but still... there are people who know what Frozen is, don't know who Rosalina is, and don't know anything about video games and will just go out, see a picture of Rosalina and assume she's Elsa without really examining it.

Also Rosalina has more in common with Peach than Daisy does, Daisy just dresses like Peach but the face shape, mouth shape, nose shape, and eye shape are all completely different... or at least different enough. Rosalina's differences are less noticeable to most people, not to mention the hair color (all of what was listed are different, nose, mouth, eyes, hair, but a lot of people probably won't be able to notice them at first glance). To people just shopping around who know nothing about Nintendo and only know Mario from games years ago that they saw/played, it's understandable how they can look at a character who just came out 7 years ago and mistake her for the princess. People did the same with Daisy before her redesign, but she's been in enough games and has been around for enough time that people are more or less starting to learn who she is... or that she's at least not Peach. I mean, people even mistook Zelda for Peach at one time, so just give Rosalina more time. Eventually people will learn who she is and be able to spot the differences between the two characters more, but now we're still in a time where new people might not know who she is yet... unless she gets her own video game and it turns out to be a big commercial success and it's sold everywhere, because that would speed up the process.

Also I don't know what you're trying to prove by posting that old picture of a scrapped Rosalina design, because even though there are some slight differences, the most notable change are her hair and dress... her bangs are basically like Peach's now too so if anything they almost kind of made her look more like Peach... regardless, Rosalina doesn't look that much different now compared to that, obviously she's not the same but other than the dress and the hair the differences between that concept and what Rosalina is now isn't like, night and day or anything.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You can easily tell Peach an Rosalina apart without really looking. The height difference alone is enough, let alone all of the other features I listed previously.

The Blaze and Amy example works, since Blaze and Amy have as many similarities as Rosalina and Peach - that is to say, not many. The ones they do have are by virtue of art style consistency. Which is my point, if people aren't mixing up Blaze and Amy, they really shouldn't be mixing up Peach and Rosalina.

face shape, mouth shape, nose shape, and eye shape are all completely different...
This applies way more to Rosalina than it does Daisy.

Peach and Daisy wear similar dresses.
Peach and Daisy are both completely symmetrical.
Peach and Daisy are of a more similar height (Daisy is shorter but only barely).
Peach and Daisy have cute, pudgy, petite frames (look at them in their sports or biker gear).
Peach and Daisy's faces are rounded and pudgy (Daisy is a bit more exaggerated though).
Peach and Daisy do have different eye sizes, and different eye lashes, but the overall shape is the same - rounded and cutesy.

As far as the noses go, all three are different but within a similar range. This is a limitation of the art style though.

But in contrast to everything I just listed:

Rosalina wears a completely unique dress (to the point I would say it's more of a a simple, elegant sleeping gown - rather than a cute victorian-esque dress).
Rosalina is asymmetrical.
Rosalina completely towers over both Peach and Daisy.
Rosalina's frame is much more pronounced and mature. Where Peach and Daisy look barely legal, Rosalina looks like a fully matured woman.
Rosalina's face is quite slender and refined.
Rosalina's eye shape is very different, it's more on the sharp side as opposed to being completely rounded (my avatar doesn't represent this well though, since 3D World essentially chibi-fies her).

As for Elsa, there really is no excuse - the art style is completely different, the hair style is completely different, the dress is completely different, and the face is completely different. And Elsa is still a normal sized woman too.

I don't really see why you are trying to come up with these excuses for the mix-ups when it really is not necessary. It generally just boils down to:

1) Rosalina detractors trying to paint her as unoriginal by saying she looks like other characters when she hardly does.
2) Irrational, genuine human error. It's not the Rosalina looks similar to Peach or Elsa as a whole, it's just that some people who either don't know better or are tired or whatever, will see something slightly similar in the two characters and start associating the two. Again, like what might happen with Mega Man and Sonic on occasion (I have seen people think Mega Man is Sonic, for a brief moment).

Smash Ace
I mean, at the end of the day Peach and Rosalina could pass for sisters. Sorry bout it, I'm not bashing Rosalina (I actually really like her) but acting like she has nothing in common with Peach is just silly. ^^;

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not saying the two are completely devoid of similarities, I'm saying the differences far outweigh the similarities. Like I said, the similarities the two have are mostly by virtue of the art style.

I wouldn't even call them sister-like, because when designing cartoony characters to be related, the similarities are made to be really in your face, such as with:

taitai

Smash Rookie
...and people say there's no sexism problem in gaming.

Sorry for being all SJWey but this thread is kind of creepy. I'm kind of worried about going into the ZSS board now.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
...and people say there's no sexism problem in gaming.

Sorry for being all SJWey but this thread is kind of creepy. I'm kind of worried about going into the ZSS board now.
The OP didn't ask the question in relation to sex or anything like that, it was literally just asking for people's opinion on the character design, whichever way other's opinions might go.

If you interpreted it as sexual, that's you either being paranoid and presumptuous, or having your own mind in the gutter.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I mentioned this already, but Rosalina should really have a warning label on herself...

Warning: Rosalina's beauty is way off the charts. Anyone who looks at Rosalina's eyes will become lovestruck, and unable to resist her.

Last edited:

taitai

Smash Rookie
The OP didn't ask the question in relation to sex or anything like that, it was literally just asking for people's opinion on the character design, whichever way other's opinions might go.

If you interpreted it as sexual, that's you either being paranoid and presumptuous, or having your own mind in the gutter.
I was kinda kidding. If it was that bad I would've closed up my account and gone home.
However, there's also a large LARGE LARGE cultural subtext here of talking about women in relation to their looks. Not to mention the people calling her a "babe" or "waifu" material(They're not *wrong* mind you; nor did I say I wasn't a hypocrite). No one's sitting in the Marth thread calling him Husbando material.
(and they should, he's pretty :D.)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I was kinda kidding. If it was that bad I would've closed up my account and gone home.
However, there's also a large LARGE LARGE cultural subtext here of talking about women in relation to their looks. Not to mention the people calling her a "babe" or "waifu" material(They're not *wrong* mind you; nor did I say I wasn't a hypocrite). No one's sitting in the Marth thread calling him Husbando material.
(and they should, he's pretty :D.)
So it's risky to comment on (a fictional character who doesn't respond or react to us) a female looking nice, but it's OK to do it with men, all because of cultural subtext?

The only "cultural subtext" involved with a man complementing a woman's aesthetic appeal is that it's historically considered a gentlemanly and well mannered thing to do (provided the wording, tone, and situation is appropriate). Same goes for a woman complementing a woman, except replace "gentlemanly" with "ladylike".

As for terms like "babe" and "waifu", at this point they are just modernised versions of terms like "beauty" and "darling". And most people use them in somewhat joking manners anyway, and "waifu" in particular is something most people would never refer to a woman as in real life (unless they are Japanese). The words may not be as eloquent or fancy as other words, but that's just how colloquial language develops.

And technically, this isn't "the Rosalina thread", someone made a thread to ask this specific question, which is good practice, as it keeps the General Rosalina Thread more or less free of this discussion for those who'd rather avoid it.

Also, the thread was half made specifically because her design was updated for Smash, and said Smash game has a version in HD, which a lot of people have been praising for it's visuals. This is just praising one specific character's presentation. And there was actually a thread that was exactly this, but with every single veteran fighter (and Marth got his dues there).

Protassium

Smash Rookie
I had dreams about her since I was 10 and playing Super Mario Galaxy
She is, in my opinion the most beautiful smash female that has ever graced this game.

Her milkshakes bring me to the yard if you know what I'm sayin

I find the characters without genders the sexiest, like R.O.B. and Mega Man.
I also feel that if I could make love with a Nintendo character I would make out with the robot
not rosa
not samus
not even roy
but ROB

What about Zero Suit Kirby? Definitely more beauty foul then Rasilone.
My favorite character to play as is Rasilone.
God that sounds like pepperoni to me ._.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I had dreams about her since I was 10 and playing Super Mario Galaxy
She is, in my opinion the most beautiful smash female that has ever graced this game.

Her milkshakes bring me to the yard if you know what I'm sayin
I'm locking this thread, if ya know what I'm sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom