• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni: Are You Smarter Than A Braindead Character?

Omni is back yet again with a vlog! Many people know Omni for some of the vlogs he has released including Diddy Is Innocent, Why Smash 4 Will Die, Why You Should Pick A Top Tier and others. This video with its title parodying a well known game show, Omni sits down to talk about a term that is normally associated with certain kinds of characters: braindead. He talks about how this statement may not be a fair one to use and how these characters that people do call braindead might be what players actually need to improve. Give it a watch and sound of with thoughts in the comments below!

Comments

What're people's opinions on Villager's brain-dead-ness?

I personally would say (maining Villager myself, I may be biased) that they require a very fluent understanding of spacing and option coverage. There also keeping track of how your opponent reacts to certain situations, etc.

But again, that's just me.
I play a bit of villager myself, def not braindead!

I used Ness after Brawl's announcement. Ness is low tier in Melee for those who don't know. I mained him Brawl and he was low tier in that game as well until he managed to finally land a spot in mid tier. I main Ness in Smash 4, where he is considered to be top tier. My main has been a "technical ass low tier". Now he's a "technical ass top tier". Git gud or git out.

IMO this video sounded a lot like he was basically saying "If you suck or you're new to the game, then pick up a character that is skilless enough that will make you seem not so bad, but when you learn the basics you should pick up a better skilless character and you should be good to go competitively". Awesome message bro...

Don't you mean low-level players?
I doubt low-level players would blame a character on their lack of skill (unless they have an awful mindset haha), it seems more likely that medium or semi-high level players would because they may consider themselves good and believe everything's about matchups, but what do I know, I have like 10 posts xD

To be honest, I do appreciate the feedback.

I don't think you guys bash me because you're just hateful people. I think there's a lot of room for improvement in my content. And I have countless flaws. In my presentation. In my editing. In everything. You guys who may not like me or my content are just being honest and voicing your opinion. And I appreciate that.

Believe it or not, I'm listening. I can't please everyone but I do want to improve if I can.

So to all of you who gave me critique, positive or negative, thanks. Love you guys.

I don't think you guys bash me because you're just hateful people. I think there's a lot of room for improvement in my content. And I have countless flaws. In my presentation. In my editing. In everything. You guys who may not like me or my content are just being honest and voicing your opinion. And I appreciate that.

Believe it or not, I'm listening. I can't please everyone but I do want to improve if I can.

So to all of you who gave me critique, positive or negative, thanks. Love you guys.
The videos you make present dissenting views and promote discussion. Never try to please everyone that only leads to stagnation.

You aren't doing yourself any favors but you are helping the community by putting this stuff out there.

Last edited:
Maybe I approach this differently. I've never used "braindead" as a catch-all insult to justify losing to a character. I don't use the phrase much at all, and in those rare cases it's toward a character that feels so easy to use at a high level that the player may be running purely on instinct, on autopilot, something that for all intents and purposes should be suicide in tournament play, and getting away with it.

That's where the frustration comes in for a lot of people, I think. It feels like their opponent is getting away with not having to take the same steps and learn the same strategies as everyone else.

I guess I'm a sadistic baby tear drinker, that kicks kittens and leave people on the Contra screen.

I have a lot going for me.

To me every character is braindead or easy to use except for :4olimar::rosalina::4pacman:

Because you can't just go in hard as Olimar and it takes practice And true dedication to use him.

At a certain point, once you get the hang of it, Sheik is kind of a brain dead character. Forward airs, throws into bouncing fish, down throw up air. Now obviously, as you increase in skill, her really potential and greatness shows. Ask me, maining Marth and Sheik

I believe more potential braindead players can use strategies that do not take much capability or thought with a few characters that lend themselves to having relatively COPY/PASTE procedures. The most notable IMO is ZSS, Falcon, Sonic, Mac because even relatively lacking players can pick up on their strengths and capitalize on an average Smash Player's inability to counter it.

I was personally having this problem with players i knew were not very good at the basics, and yet i was losing to ZSS spam and Falcon combos, Mac attacks i saw coming move for move, before they happened.. Those things require knowing exactly what tools you have to deal with such linear "braindead play"

~ I Do not think most of the top tiers are nearly as technical or require forthought to play at a high level as some Mid-Low Tiers. Shiek/ZSS combos are damaging and easy to link IMO they are simply superior if you know what you are doing. Your much safer when you dictate the pace of a match with rush-down characters that can HitxRun like All the Top and High Tiers in Sm4sh.

To your former point about Maining high Tiers for best results and potential Omni Omni In high level Tournaments it has Merit, However i would argue learning characters with less options and doing well is where fundamentals shine brightest, which can carry over to high level play Whether you decide to stick to that Main or pick a superior, more viable secondary.

I don't play smash 4 but yeah I kinda agree with Omni here, if you want to win, play the character that will allow that to happen. If you want to have fun/be hipster/be the best at a low tier/troll people then play whoever the hell you want. But don't complain about losing tournaments to sheiks if you're a megaman main.

What're people's opinions on Villager's brain-dead-ness?

I personally would say (maining Villager myself, I may be biased) that they require a very fluent understanding of spacing and option coverage. There also keeping track of how your opponent reacts to certain situations, etc.

But again, that's just me.
As a Villager main, I was watching this video and wondering if this applied to Villager. Maybe I'm not the right person to talk here, seeing as I'm not the most tournament minded, but I do think that Villager is easier to pick up on account of his zone game. Not to mention his Lloid missiles, if used effectively, can be as good as Pac-Mans hydrant for stalling your opponent, and setting up a follow up, weather they take damage from it or shield it, which may lead many new players to spam it way too often. Heck, even I probably use Villagers missile a bit too much.

As a Villager main, I was watching this video and wondering if this applied to Villager. Maybe I'm not the right person to talk here, seeing as I'm not the most tournament minded, but I do think that Villager is easier to pick up on account of his zone game. Not to mention his Lloid missiles, if used effectively, can be as good as Pac-Mans hydrant for stalling your opponent, and setting up a follow up, weather they take damage from it or shield it, which may lead many new players to spam it way too often. Heck, even I probably use Villagers missile a bit too much.
All lloids do is force one of many options. Shield, roll, jump, destroy/reflect it, or punish the massive startup it has. All but the last one of these options can be punished by Villager if read. If your opponent reacts the same way every time they are weak and will get punished over and over. If they mix it up you have a problem and they can sometimes punish YOU if you guess wrong. So now you have to use the lloids sparingly, and either condition your opponent by letting them think their preferred method "works" or put them in an uncomfortable position where their natural instincts make them use an option that you can easily guess. Either method requires planning and mental awareness of your opponent.

Doesn't really sound braindead does it?

My two cents...

Complaining your opponent chose a character, any character, is scrub talk. If they're so easy to learn then pick 'em yourself. If you want to win, pick a character that can.

Complaining that a character is overpowered is a bit different. As long as it's not used to disguise the former I'd say it's legitimate. I mean, I think we'd all like to see Sheik nerfed.

I used Ness after Brawl's announcement. Ness is low tier in Melee for those who don't know. I mained him Brawl and he was low tier in that game as well until he managed to finally land a spot in mid tier. I main Ness in Smash 4, where he is considered to be top tier. My main has been a "technical *** low tier". Now he's a "technical *** top tier". Git gud or git out.
Or git lucky

I don't play smash 4 but yeah I kinda agree with Omni here, if you want to win, play the character that will allow that to happen. If you want to have fun/be hipster/be the best at a low tier/troll people then play whoever the hell you want. But don't complain about losing tournaments to sheiks if you're a megaman main.
:,(

Omni Omni you are right, yes it is normal for me to complain about characters but not to call them braindead. Right now all away from the beginning, I had that mental habit calling a character braindead because there is characters that I find easy to use for most of the roster, but the reality is that based on the frame data, characters like yoshi and rosalina are hard to play so I cannot judge a character from my muscle memory but to judge them by frame data. I might pick up a character that is super easy not to main but to drastically improve my fundimentals. If I do that then maybe I can stop complaining about the game.

Omni Omni also I forgot to tell you to be honest with you my main roy does not have a high difficulty but is still a bit intermidate for me to use so it is like this baseball player would have to go back to the minor leagues.

Disagreeing with somebody isn't getting angry or bitter at all, You would do well to realize this difference. Also, nobody said anything about spamming/abusing the move over and over. If you spam anything you are liable to be read and beaten fairly easy by anybody capable of taking advantage of move spamming, this is a fact in any fighting game.

Put pre-nerf Diddy in the hands of somebody like ZeRo and he'd literally be even more impossible to beat than he is right now.
The thing is, its not just a disagreement.

Omni's more attractive and more social than your average Sm4sh player. Look at all the girls defending him in this thread and in his video comments. He's obviously doing something right.

Stop hating on Omni. He knows what he's talking about. Unlike most Sm4sh players he says the truth about a character without having a silly hatred for them. Don't pretend like it's personal.

Last edited:

my critique is that you spoiled one piece

dont be spoilin dem animes fool i'll cut you

Guy obviously knows his Smash but falls into the trap of being deliberately inflammatory in order to make his point. Great for youtube views, not so useful for stimulating a civil discussion. I'd like to see him do a podcast or some kind of debate program with other people, so there's a chance for alternative views and rebuttals to be made.

Last edited:
The sheer click bait nature of his video titles are enough to make anyone mad. As far as SmashTubers are concerned... this guy is cancer IMO.

These vids aren't helping anyone either. They're directed at scrubs who don't listen to advice about improving their mindset anyway.
You're cancer lol, go away you damn cry baby. You already don't like the guy, yet you watch his videos. How stupid is that? People like you just find anything to complain about... You probably whine more than your 2 kids.

Just look at the Luigi nerf. People are losing thier **** about it. The combos got toned down and early guranteed kill setups removed. That's it and people are still freaking out and dropping Luigi. They didn't learn anything apart from leaning on that down throw crutch
Luigi lost a lot of sets ups like down throw to back air, up b, fireball lock setups, airdodge reads to up b, nair. Luigi was turned into Mario 0.5. In fact, at least half of the characters in sm4sh spam grab "combos" until it stops working not just luigi. If it weren't for grab followups, most characters wouldn't be able to combo at all.

Omni Omni , thanks dude, really an eye opener. I play pacman, and i thought as my tech skill grew so would I, but it seems that's not whats happening. After watching your video, I'm thinking about getting into the more basic aspects of him rather than trying to be " that guy" and wow everyone away with his flash. The funny thing is I do better with my ganon and dk then I do with my pacman, which as you said shows tech skill isn't everything. Ganon relies on punishing, and dk on spacing both necessary fundamentals in sm4sh.
You helped me, let me help you cx
As for content, you're titles seem to over embellish the topic at hand, and after the intro, they go into something else entirely. However, you do spark conversation( ^obviously, lol) and your content is above average. You portray a conversational attitude without the social composure( meaning you come off a bit pointed at times to your audience) However, their being offended is not your problem, nor should you have to change. Its the internet, and worse yet, the smash community, where everyone takes everything to heart. Overall, you do you. But to avoid the hate, stop making dramatic controversial titles lol. "Why sm4sh will die" is a bit much XD.
As for opinion on the topic itself, the ONLY braindead/flowchart character I hate is ness, due to the fact he really doesnt have much to risk, in exchange for great grab conversions, BnB challenges, a hard to challenge recovery, well you hate him as much as I do, Im sure you know where this is going lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom