• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni: Are You Smarter Than A Braindead Character?

Omni is back yet again with a vlog! Many people know Omni for some of the vlogs he has released including Diddy Is Innocent, Why Smash 4 Will Die, Why You Should Pick A Top Tier and others. This video with its title parodying a well known game show, Omni sits down to talk about a term that is normally associated with certain kinds of characters: braindead. He talks about how this statement may not be a fair one to use and how these characters that people do call braindead might be what players actually need to improve. Give it a watch and sound of with thoughts in the comments below!

Comments

I don't believe there to be such a thing as a brain dead character, just brain dead strategies (which aren't always useful at all anyway), brain dead players, and on occasion, brain dead moves.

Also just seeing Mario in the thumbnail, do people actually consider him brain dead? He's a versatile character designed to teach you how to play the game and greatly improves your fundamentals. You'd be brain dead NOT to at least experiment with him a bit, if you want to play competitively.

What're people's opinions on Villager's brain-dead-ness?

I personally would say (maining Villager myself, I may be biased) that they require a very fluent understanding of spacing and option coverage. There also keeping track of how your opponent reacts to certain situations, etc.

But again, that's just me.

No matter how many top players say that Sonic requires a lot of skill to play, there will still be people that call him braindead.

I'd say this video is worth watching all the way through because it ended up being vastly different from what I expected.

Good stuff.

"I'm about to make a lot of y'all mad"

Gee Omni that's a new direction for your vids lol.
The sheer click bait nature of his video titles are enough to make anyone mad. As far as SmashTubers are concerned... this guy is cancer IMO.

These vids aren't helping anyone either. They're directed at scrubs who don't listen to advice about improving their mindset anyway.

The sheer click bait nature of his video titles are enough to make anyone mad. As far as SmashTubers are concerned... this guy is cancer IMO.

These vids aren't helping anyone either. They're directed at scrubs who don't listen to advice about improving their mindset anyway.
It wouldn't be an Omni video thread without SSJ3 Goku here to shake things up

Really though Omni's clickbait is just about the only thing keeping smashboards alive, at least as far as Sm4sh is concerned
:happysheep:

Last edited:
See, now I just feel bad. I want to be the character that fits my playstyle - Robin - and that I like outside of Smash. I don't want to think about how 'braindead' they are, I just happened to choose a slightly technical character. So I got insulted for enjoying the game.

:(

Mmm, well here me out...(this is from my tourney experience)

I main (and will always main) Dr. Mario simply because "I think he's fun" and thought that "no one will main him but me"

I've won 2 (50+ entry) singles tournaments with a character no one expect would be viable...EVER!

It takes a lot of skill to play low tiers and never consider him braindead cause lets face it he sucks. A lot. And he's never in smash 4 tourneys most of the time.

Moral of the story: Play who you want to play! no one is going to stop you from picking a character that (I hope) you enjoy.

Alright, I'll start:
:rob: Out of all the characters I can't play, Rob easily gives me the best results.
I'm not saying he's easy to master, but boy is he easy to play at a decent level.

*bracing myself*

"Braindead" or lets say easier characters to be politically correct, are characters that have a high skill floor, but a low skill ceiling unless you put in a lot of work. Basically you can start off doing much better with them than you would other characters, but once you hit a certain point, you're going to need to significantly increase the amount of work you put in to get large gains. Lets look at what I think are these characters in smash 4:

-Mario (Easy Combos, safe and spammable kill moves, safe recovery, has almost no ez-bake kill setups though which is where his skill ceiling comes into play)
-Yoshi (Extremely hard to punish and super safe which makes him a nightmare if you do not know how to capitalize on tight frame windows)
-Luigi (pre patch, haven't seen him enough of him yet to tell you now)
-Ness: (Super Flow chart-y playstyle thats hard to break at average level play)
-Falcon (Real intuitive and easy to learn, see Fatality for how to push him to the next level)
-MK (0 death combos that are much easier to land on lesser players)
-Lucario (Aura speaks for itself)
-Villager (Throwing out endless projectiles will beat a lot of medium level and below players)
-Duck Hunt (Basically a worse Villager)
-Little Mac (Has the lowest skill ceiling of the whole group, but is pretty much the newbie slayer of smash 4)

Last edited:
See, now I just feel bad. I want to be the character that fits my playstyle - Robin - and that I like outside of Smash. I don't want to think about how 'braindead' they are, I just happened to choose a slightly technical character. So I got insulted for enjoying the game.

Then don't worry about what Omni has to say. Play the character you like.

lol i dont think people even understand omni's point of view. stop looking through your own eyes and step into omni's shoes.
omni is a great player, omni has won tourneys, omni has been playing this game for a long time. he's not saying pick a braindead character because you're bad, he's saying pick a character that has a lower skill ceiling because you won't get good results by using someone like that. you might believe omni is being offensive and rude, but omni is literally just trying to help the community. this is something i believe that a lot of people do not understand.
EDIT: he's also stating this from a tourney POV. do you really think you're gonna win a tourney with a bunch of high level players with a character that has a giant amount of tech say sheik, and actually expect to win or get sort of far into the bracket? no that wouldn't make sense, especially since everyone knows how to beat this character at higher level.(not literally but you know what i mean.)

Last edited:
lol i dont think people even understand omni's point of view. stop looking through your own eyes and step into omni's shoes.
omni is a great player, omni has won tourneys, omni has been playing this game for a long time. he's not saying pick a braindead character because you're bad, he's saying pick a character that has a lower skill ceiling because you won't get good results by using someone like that. you might believe omni is being offensive and rude, but omni is literally just trying to help the community. this is something i believe that a lot of people do not understand.
I don't think the Internet, much less the general zone of Smashboards, is a notable place for being open-minded sadly. Also, I can already see a potential rebuttal.

The only braindead character is R.O.B. because robots don't have brains. :^)

In all seriousness, although it is incorrect to call a whole character braindead, I do think you can call certain things braindead. Because what does braindead mean? It means not having to think about what you're doing; in other words, it refers to things that can be done with muscle memory alone. A classic example would be Luigi's dthrow to fair (pre-patch, at least): it's impossible to DI out of and works at pretty much every percent. Therefore, you don't really need to think about what you're doing, you don't need to worry about DI or percent windows or reading an airdodge. Once you get a grab, you can just let muscle memory take over. This is what braindead means. However, this does not mean that Luigi is a braindead character. It just means that dthrow to fair is a braindead combo, because you don't need to actually think about what you're doing after you get a grab.

This is good advice for any Smash game. I was playing Melee the other day and found myself ******** a little bit about how "braindead" my opponent was playing, but I realized that if I couldn't deal with his cheese, that just meant it was a hole in my ability to win. It can be hard to think of it that way, but it's the only way to get better.

omni is a great player
He's good, at best. Not much better than your average player at the weeklies who knows about ATs.

omni has won tourneys
Lol no. Name one.

you might believe omni is being offensive and rude, but omni is literally just trying to help the community. this is something i believe that a lot of people do not understand.
His videos are designed to help scrubs, but they poop all over scrubs and are click-baity and flame-baity. It's counter intuitive. You make videos for newer players, then proceed to be a pretentious ass about it... but don't worry guyz I'm just trying to help the community!

Get bent Omni...

Last edited:
I didn't like this video very much because it seems like "braindead" is an excuse that top players use.
Don't you mean low-level players?
His videos are designed to help scrubs, but they poop all over scrubs and are click-baity and flame-baity. It's counter intuitive. You make videos for newer players, then proceed to be a pretentious *** about it... but don't worry guyz I'm just trying to help the community!
If you think about it a little more, he's probably just trying to get a certain audience -- the people who will actually listen to him and not start freaking out.

The only braindead character is R.O.B. because robots don't have brains. :^)

In all seriousness, although it is incorrect to call a whole character braindead, I do think you can call certain things braindead. Because what does braindead mean? It means not having to think about what you're doing; in other words, it refers to things that can be done with muscle memory alone. A classic example would be Luigi's dthrow to fair (pre-patch, at least): it's impossible to DI out of and works at pretty much every percent. Therefore, you don't really need to think about what you're doing, you don't need to worry about DI or percent windows or reading an airdodge. Once you get a grab, you can just let muscle memory take over. This is what braindead means. However, this does not mean that Luigi is a braindead character. It just means that dthrow to fair is a braindead combo, because you don't need to actually think about what you're doing after you get a grab.
I dunno, i think Gannondorf is pretty brain dead, he's been in 3 iterations of Smash and still hasn't developed his own move set...

He's right, in general, particularly if you want to win tournaments.
The counter argument is that picking up a brain dead character - and there are a lot in smash 4 - is that you will never progress beyond the brain dead aspects of fighting games.
One of the problems with smash 4 is that brain dead characters were made a bit too lenient in their simple advantages (hit boxes, priority, easy bake combos, kill throws, etc). The risk/reward ratio needs some tuning, which hopefully with more patches we will see.
For truly good design you want complex characters to have significant advantage over brain-dead, right now it's not there in my opinion, the balance is not quite right.

He's good, at best. Not much better than your average player at the weeklies who knows about ATs.

Lol no. Name one.
Oddly enough upon searching his name I found several top placing results. In Melee, Brawl, and PM he has placed top 9 and higher in nationals. He was once one of the best MKs in MVDA, invented tech in Brawl, and has won SEVERAL tournaments.

Normally I don't take time to squabble in the comments but this took maybe 5 minutes of searching in the end. You may not like his videos and I can totally respect that but saying he's good at best seems to be a severe understatement.

Examples of braindead characters :4zss::rosalina:. Let the flame war begin, come at me bro.
I'll bite.

If Rosalina was braindead, Dabuz would win every high profile tourney rather than placing anywhere from 3rd to 5th in them all of the time. And he uses the most simple playstyle out there for her.

Also controlling two characters with completely different movesets at once is totally the opposite of braindead. Rosalina is arguably the most complex character in the game, and is average at best until you actually sit down to learn her intricacies.

Also ZSS is probably the most technical of the "fast rushdown" characters out there in Smash 4. She also has a lot of obvious weaknesses that are easy to exploit.

I don't know why I'm bothering though since you're probably only saying this because you lost to an intermediate ZSS and Rosalina on For Glory or Anthers just now or something.

I'll bite.

If Rosalina was braindead, Dabuz would win every high profile tourney rather than placing anywhere from 3rd to 5th in them all of the time. And he uses the most simple playstyle out there for her.

Also controlling two characters with completely different movesets at once is totally the opposite of braindead. Rosalina is arguably the most complex character in the game, and is average at best until you actually sit down to learn her intricacies.

Also ZSS is probably the most technical of the "fast rushdown" characters out there in Smash 4. She also has a lot of obvious weaknesses that are easy to exploit.

I don't know why I'm bothering though since you're probably only saying this because you lost to an intermediate ZSS and Rosalina on For Glory or Anthers just now or something.
You really think these 2 characters are the hardest to learn? Either you must be trolling which I hope you are or you're actually biased.

Whatever happened to no Johns?
There are no braindead characters, just some more simple to learn, but nothing is easy to master.
Yor opinion on a character doesn't matter, if you lose to anyone, then you simply were not the best player. Deal with it.

Last edited:
"Braindead" or lets say easier characters to be politically correct, are characters that have a high skill floor, but a low skill ceiling unless you put in a lot of work. Basically you can start off doing much better with them than you would other characters, but once you hit a certain point, you're going to need to significantly increase the amount of work you put in to get large gains. Lets look at what I think are these characters in smash 4:

-Mario (Easy Combos, safe and spammable kill moves, safe recovery, has almost no ez-bake kill setups though which is where his skill ceiling comes into play)
-Yoshi (Extremely hard to punish and super safe which makes him a nightmare if you do not know how to capitalize on tight frame windows)
-Luigi (pre patch, haven't seen him enough of him yet to tell you now)
-Ness: (Super Flow charty playstyle thats hard to break average level play)
-Falcon (Real intuitive and easy to learn, see Fatality for how to push him to the next level)
-MK (0 death combos that are much easier to land on lesser players)
-Lucario (Aura speaks for itself)
-Villager (Throwing out endless projectiles will beat a lot of medium level and below players)
-Duck Hunt (Basically a worse Villager)
-Little Mac (Has the lowest skill ceiling of the whole group, but is pretty much the newbie slayer of smash 4)
Lucario's only braindead in the sense that aura let's you occaisionally win games you should lose. But it'll also make you lose games you should have won. From a fundamental perspective, he has one of the steepest learning curves of any character. Same with other unique characters like villager.

You really think these 2 characters are the hardest to learn? Either you must be trolling which I hope you are or you're actually biased.
I didn't say that for ZSS.

But yeah Rosalina is one of the most complex and technical characters in the game, and if you think otherwise, then you're clearly a For Glory Warrior.

She has a ton of unique ATs to learn that only apply to her, and you are literally controlling two ENTIRELY different characters at the SAME TIME. No other character has to deal with the latter. She requires double the level of spacial awareness to use effectively. To an extent, you need to play Rosalina like you're playing a mini-RTS game - Rosalina & Luma are two separate units that can take on separate or the same roles at any given time, and you have to constantly change your strategy to make sure BOTH characters are being used optimally for every little change in the match.

Does Omni rank high in tournaments? I see his videos all the time, but I never see anything about him in tourneys. Wondering where his knowledge and authority come from.

What? People say Robin is braindead? Wt*?

What next? They will say Mii Swordfighter is braindead too?

I was Top 10 in Melee for MD/VA.
Moved to Brawl.
Best MK in MD/VA.
Won plenty of tournaments.
Invited my region over for free pizza and training to get the region better.
Coached a lot of our players.
Last tournament Brawl tournament I went to I won.
Retired because I stopped liking Brawl.
And now I just work a 9-5.

There are just people here that enjoy bashing me every time I release a video. I'm not sure y but das koo. Probably trying to force another reaction outta me. But ya. I did lots of stuff. Been around the corner. So ya.

Hope you guys enjoyed the video. Was really fun to make.

Last edited:
Top Bottom