• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OMG How did i lose to Wario...

mirage_drag0n

Smash Apprentice
For the second time playing the game, which was in a competition, I picked Marth and was up against Wario. It was in our school so I don't think any of them are pro. But I lost to match.
What Wario did was use his bike to run me over. I tried to hit him with F Smash or something when he was charging but useless. He would get me into the air and then continue to U Air, I tried Dair when in the air but he always hit me first, like he's move has more priority or something.
Man that bike is annoying. Its like the second time playing the game so I don't know WTF Wario does. And for somereason, Marth's range seems shorter...like when Wario lags after biking, I go and F-Smash him trying to tip and then I MISS!!! WTF!
I really wanna know how the hell u beat him. I even read in the forums that Wario has a hard time against Marth but I think no.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well Marth's range has been nerfed since Melee. For Wario on his bike though I would say just use f-air, that should get you far enough away to tip him with your sword and knock him off his bike. If he tries spamming his u-air like that you could always get ready and counter. That said Wario is a bit hard to predict in midair (his midair movement really just freaks me out).

Remember though that on his bike Wario is really asking for a beating from the air.

kook321

Smash Apprentice
You just gotta play more. You have to know your opponents moves as well as yours, you should beaten the wario unless he was out right better.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Well, I hate to be rude here, but the answer to your question is :

Its like the second time playing the game so I don't know WTF Wario does.
...you lost because you haven't played the game and realized that Brawl IS NOT Melee. Marth's range was nerfed so it wasn't going to work against the bike. As others suggested you could have done any number of things though, Shield Grabbed, Countered, dodged, jumped and used an Aerial...anything really besides just trying to futilely smash him out of it.

Play the game for longer and get used to it and then maybe the next time, it won't happen.

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
Well I've mastered playing Wario and if they had a fair knowlegde of the character, they would you approach with a SH Dodge or SH Dair not with the bike. Wario is a all around beast except for his range, I suggest going to the source, read a guide on how to play Wario and figure out what kind of counters you can do to beat him.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
marth outranges wario terribly and he is probably the easiest character to gimp offstage(next to olimar and ivysaur)

what got you was
1: not knowing wario
2: not knowing wario
3: did i mention not knowing wario?

know your enemies just as good if not better than you know yourself

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
I recommend just fighting each character on level 9. Just at least to know their moves and how to counter them. That way when you play a new character you'll have a general idea of what what to do when your opponent attacks.

∫unk

Smash Master
For the second time playing the game, which was in a competition, I picked Marth and was up against Wario. It was in our school so I don't think any of them are pro. But I lost to match.
What Wario did was use his bike to run me over. I tried to hit him with F Smash or something when he was charging but useless. He would get me into the air and then continue to U Air, I tried Dair when in the air but he always hit me first, like he's move has more priority or something.
Man that bike is annoying. Its like the second time playing the game so I don't know WTF Wario does. And for somereason, Marth's range seems shorter...like when Wario lags after biking, I go and F-Smash him trying to tip and then I MISS!!! WTF!
I really wanna know how the hell u beat him. I even read in the forums that Wario has a hard time against Marth but I think no.
Marth ***** most Warios. You need to play more than 2 times against a character to have a general idea of what they're going to do I think.

uremog

Smash Ace
marth has always been vulnerable from below in the air, use your floatiness and DI to get to the side or air dodge. dair can't be relied on to protect you, and neither can counter.

marth has much more priority otherwise than wario; all kinds of things can beat his bike in priority *cough* sh fair/nair *cough*

play around with the game a little, try all the characters, then try to be competitive.

mirage_drag0n

Smash Apprentice
Yeh too bad I can't practice before the match coz i don't have the game yet...
but i think i should've jumped earlier when he was coming to me with the bike coz when i started jumping he would already knock me over and if jump normally he would do a wheelie.
Well i'll just let this be a lesson to me so now i know how to win next time...

man i should've used sheik...

bobwaffles

Smash Apprentice
Air dodge to get out of the uairs. Use fairs to get him off the bike, or just wait for him to jump off of it. Work on your spacing too. Try to avoid getting too close to him, but close enough to hit him with a fair. Use side Bs a lot too. They've gotten much better for combat in Brawl.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Wario doesnt suck or anything, though I can't stand him...your main mistake was trying to counter everything with a smash attack, try dodgeing a bit more and playing a bit less aggressivly if you're feeling overwhelmed.

mirage_drag0n

Smash Apprentice
i'm think i'm getting the idea now...so if i'm up against a noob wario for example (like the one i just played who spams bike and stuff), i think i should do some camping

because marth will always outrange wario but a lot. Whenever he tries to approach me, i can just smack him with my sword. If he uses the bike, i can shield and then grab.

But 1 question: if i shield when he is coming with the bike, then attempt to grab, wouldn't he hit me with the bike when i'm trying to grab??

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
i'm think i'm getting the idea now...so if i'm up against a noob wario for example (like the one i just played who spams bike and stuff), i think i should do some camping

because marth will always outrange wario but a lot. Whenever he tries to approach me, i can just smack him with my sword. If he uses the bike, i can shield and then grab.

But 1 question: if i shield when he is coming with the bike, then attempt to grab, wouldn't he hit me with the bike when i'm trying to grab??
First off be careful with your words and who you call a n00b there skipper...that n00b Wario beat you by spamming bike. I think that speaks more to your inability to cope with a newb strategy then to his playing ability, because in the end he won using the tactic.

...Marth's sword range isn't what it used to be so its not as useful on the ground vs Wario. As to the shield grab, I think only the front part of the bike has a hitbox so if you block the initial attack of the bike grabbing regardless of whether the bike is on top of you or not will work. I'm not 100% on that though.

...Either that or you could always just counter.

Top Bottom