• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omfg Short Hopping Is Gay O.o!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimimaru5

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to short hop for like a week and i still cant get it down. >.>

I can do it maybe like 3 times in a row 5 if im lucky but i can only do it constantly when i'm not paying attention. Like i was just being stupid with mewtwo and i did like 10 times then realized what i was doing and immediatly couldnt do it again. The best way for me to do it is to use the very tip of my thumb on the very bottom of the x/y button ( whichever's the one diagonally-up left of the a button --i know i a newb at gamecube controller layouts o.O )
and this is not going to work against another person when they are attacking you.

any tips? also i cant wavedash without short hopping -.- bcuz the person jumps too far up for it to do any good, it just turns out as like a regular dodge.

P.S. Im using Shiek

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
you aren't supposed to short hop when you wavedash, you just press X (or Y) and then air dodge at an angle. You press X, and down-forward on the control stick and R, at almost all the same time. You'll notice that you'll slide right away (since it takes less time to press down X than it does to press down R or move the control stick completely in a direction).

when i got the game for a long time i couldn't consistently do mewtwo's teleport downwards. Then over time from playing you just naturally get better without realizing it

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
ou could do what my friend JJ does with sheik, he uses Y for normal jumps, and X for short hops

Nick Nasty

Smash Journeyman
When you're trying to shorthop, it's important that you realize it's not how hard you press the button, but how fast you press it. As for how to press the button, that depends on you.

Mr Mattastic

Smash Journeyman
you aren't supposed to short hop when you wavedash, you just press X (or Y) and then air dodge at an angle. You press X, and down-forward on the control stick and R, at almost all the same time. You'll notice that you'll slide right away (since it takes less time to press down X than it does to press down R or move the control stick completely in a direction).

when i got the game for a long time i couldn't consistently do mewtwo's teleport downwards. Then over time from playing you just naturally get better without realizing it
Did you ever see the Pokemon 151 Shirts, I swear the Mewtwo one was made for you.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
sheik kind of needs a wavedash. but anyway you can do a regular jump for a wavedash it doesnt have to be short. but with shiek to wavedash jump then immediately air dodge diagonally. wave dash varies from character to character. like sheiks is an immediate airdodge but for ganons you have to wait a tiny bit longer to airdodge. and short hopping takes a little practice sheik is one of the harder ones to shorthop like fox. practice with falco then when you get that move to someone harder.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Even a mediocre Sheik player will wavedash. Enough with the people saying characters like c falc and sheik don't need wd/l canceling. All of those people should just go play brawl.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
That's the thing about the internet; you can't recognize sarcasm as easily due to the lack of tone.

Anyway, I just lightly tap the very bottom of the X button with my thumb. It usually makes a louder clicking sound than usual.

kimimaru5

Smash Rookie
Anyway, I just lightly tap the very bottom of the X button with my thumb. It usually makes a louder clicking sound than usual.

yeah thats what i do normally but it still acts gay sometimes. Thanks for all the reply's ill try all of them right now.

P.s. the rsn im practicing short hopping is not just for shiek but to just know how to do it. I just pciked shiek bcuz she's my fav :o

debaser

Smash Lord
keep in mind, sheik is one of the hardest characters to consistently short hop with.

just practice and you'll get better

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
I have a theory that people who have trouble short hopping are simply forcing their finger down to press the button and then relaxing their finger to release the button. This probably works for every other button in the world, but as everyone knows this is Melee and we Melee players are descended from Hercules himself, taught never to camp, never to john, etc.

Try forcing your finger down to press the button and also force your finger away to release the button, I think just realizing this may speed your fingers up a bit. I remember when I tried to use a claw-like grip and had to hit x with the side of the lower part of my pointer finger. I thought it might be impossible to move it fast enough to short hop, but I eventually go it down focusing on pulling away my finger instead of just relaxing it. Now I can just short hop by just twitching my pointer finger.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
Yeah, Fox and Sheik are really hard to wavedash with compared to some others, but I think you should make sure you are moving around when you practice. Being able to do it when you are standing still in no pressure at at all is different than doing it in the heat of battle.:)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Use search, there's a fair few threads that cover this in more detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom