• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omega Stages in Smash

omegastages.jpg

Omega Stages, while obviously an attempt at appealing to the competitive community, fell short in that regard - enough so that only three are allowed in tournament play. For all of their potential, they felt like an afterthought more than anything else, one based on a very surface level idea of what the community wants. With a new game on the horizon, there are plenty of ways Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch could improve this option.

The one alternative that most of the competitive scene wants is a "no gimmicks" option that retains the core layout, much like the one featured in Rivals of Aether. In that game, each stage has two variations - an Aether version and a Basic version. The former usually features a hazard of some sort - a giant spring on Air Armada, rising flames on Blazing Hideout, etc. The basic versions retain the core layout, sometimes with some minor changes, but remove the stage hazards.

Of course, for some stages, a "no gimmicks' variation may necessitate more than simply disabling certain elements - for instance, Hyrule Temple lacks any real hazards - the main issue there is the sheer size of the stage, though there are still ways to make a basic version of such a stage. Project M offered a stage based on the upper-left section of Hyrule Temple, and a similar treatment could be given to other stages like Palutena's Temple, The Great Cave Offensive, or whatever new large stages Smash for Switch might offer.

On top of this, organizing the stage list by more than just the series would certainly be desirable, or even the option to choose a sorting method. It would be nice to be able to see the stage list organized by their size, or by what kind of hazards they have.

Some other options for adjusting the influence of stage hazards could be interesting. Stages could have multiple "levels" of hazards, allowing players to not only remove them entirely, but also tone them down or crank them up. It's an intriguing thought - imagine Poke Floats or Rainbow Road moving twice as fast, Halberd with the Heavy Lobster's beam, cannonball and claw all active at once, or Wily's Castle with an even stronger Yellow Devil!

Author's note: I'm excited to see if this option returns, and if it does, what it will bring. What are your thoughts on it? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

I wonder why the competitive scene only uses 3-4 omega stages anyways. I know that a few of them is a little janky (like Halberd), but I don't see much flaws at all. Is it because they are too similar to eachother?

It would be cool to see a feature of turning off the hazards, especially with Pokemon Stadium 2.

Having Omega form stages was actually a rather good idea, since it can get rather boring whenever you always have to choose Final Destination for any matches without platforms and/or hazards. Why Omega form stages are frowned upon is beyond me, since they're not all the same; for some Omega form stages, it's impossible to go underneath them.

Having Omega form stages was actually a rather good idea, since it can get rather boring whenever you always have to choose Final Destination for any matches without platforms and/or hazards. Why Omega form stages are frowned upon is beyond me, since they're not all the same; for some Omega form stages, it's impossible to go underneath them.
a strong argument against FD and omega stages is that it provides a very notable advantage to fighters who excel from fighting at a large distance, such as someone with projectiles. with no platforms in particular meaning there's nothing to stop a shot if it's aimed incorrectly, and it also means it's a little more difficult to escape someone who has you cornered as there's not as much available to mix up your landing.

now skilled players and competent Little Macs can get around this, but if someone persistently chooses to fight from a distance, it can get quite tedious, and we already know how people hate a long drawn out match against someone stubbornly defensive.

I wonder why the competitive scene only uses 3-4 omega stages anyways. I know that a few of them is a little janky (like Halberd), but I don't see much flaws at all. Is it because they are too similar to eachother?

It would be cool to see a feature of turning off the hazards, especially with Pokemon Stadium 2.
I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe only a select few Omega Stages were available primarily because they were close enough to FD, and didn't have something that was potentially distracting, like the flashy moving background effect in the actual stage... I've heard a few folks get headaches when the screen goes mostly white, I presume from some form of epilepsy. there's several Omega stages that had walls that could be used to support some fighters recoveries (PAC-LAND is the only exception I know of), and I've heard several folks claim that there's come very small differences in the blastzones for some of them (I feel it's just a placebo effect, but I can't prove one way or the other...)

Last edited:
A game with a a ton of great neutral stages is Smash Bros Legacy TE. It gave project M lots of alts that are great tournament stages. I'm not trying to raise any legal ruckus here, I'm just pointing the awesome stage (alts) of Legacy TE. I would totally recommend it. How this relates to smash 5? ...Well, I guess it doesn't. If nintendo could just make a huge stage roster with, say, half of them being good nuetral, tournament stages, Smash Switch will do Oh Kay. If they do this, then please just scrap omega stages.

I really liked Omega Stages in SSB4 since it allowed a more variety of stages to watch for the spectator while maintaining the balance since they are a copy of FD. Really hoping they'll return in SSB5

Last edited:
Top Bottom