• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Matchup Thread (Old thread)

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Robin is a prime example of what Olimar can easily handle. He isn't fast, lagless, and has multiple elements. Olimar will destroy characters like that.

Douchuumen

Smash Cadet
Olimar mains, which characters would you guys say have a good matchup against olimar/can effectively shut down his projectile game? I suck against Olimar lol

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Olimar mains, which characters would you guys say have a good matchup against olimar/can effectively shut down his projectile game? I suck against Olimar lol
I wouldn't say i'm an Olimar main, but definitely Olimar is one of my top 3 characters. Anyway, the character I've had the most trouble dealing with is Little Mac. I find that his speed and very small amount of ending lag is hard to deal with, especially since olimar's grab is so slow.

Other characters I've had problems with are the ones who can out range and out camp Olimar, such as Link, DHD, and Megaman.

However, I think Olimar can beat all the characters I've listed here by counterpicking stages properly. Most of my experience comes from FG mode though, and therefore only applies to FD stages.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Okay I'm gunna come clean and say I'm really pissed right now! I just had to face the same Shiek/Samus in my crew and no mater what I do it's friggin impossible to pin him down. He loves his friggin safe-a** dash attacks and F-Smash that it literally becomes impossible to punish him at all. Every time and I mean every time he does an F-Smash or dash attack he intantly goes onto a jab combo, but no matter what I go I always find myself either sitting in my shield taking unnecessary amount of shield damage or he breaks out of my grab because grab armor isn't a thing. He always seems to be able to grab me no matter what I spot dodge he grabs, I roll he grabs, F-Smash him he grabs. I wouldn't mind if the games were at least close but no he 2 stocks me every time and it's not fun, annoying, and literally is what turns me off from Smash 4 as a whole. Not to mention the rare times I can actually beat him it's always "Ohh the Pikmin are so annoying and get in my way", or "Olimar's such a stupid character, not fun to fight at all". He is the literal embodiment of the "No Fun Police", how do I punish these habits and what can I do to avoids being rushed down and put in the air?

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Were you able to record replays between you and your friend? You may want to look back on the replays and reflect on what actions that you took in each match that he took advantage of. Are you being too predictable? What actions does he do that you can find an opportunity to punish them or at the very least predict in a given situation? These are some of the questions you should be asking yourself when reviewing each replay, or at the end of each match if you can't make replays for yourself.
If he's 2-stocking you over and over again, then it's a part of the experience of improving yourself in Smash Bros., or in any competitive-minded game really. Every player has to eventually be humbled by someone more experienced than him or her, and some, probably most, players go through this several times. It's what the loser does after the match--reflecting on the match, trying your best in the next one--that allows him or her to improve their skills and eventually go toe-to-toe with the winner.
As for your friend's attitude towards Olimar, I would say that those remarks are kind of expected for a generally defensive character. You shouldn't pay much attention to those.

If it's possible for you, posting replays between you and the Shiek/Samus player in the video thread can help you get critique on what you should exactly be improving on.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Sheik is our worst mu by far. I think Peach is up there. R.O.B. too
Peach can be troublesome until you get purples, they shut her down just like Brawl. R.O.B. is just a lot of power shielding and then the usual stuff. Actually purples make everything easier.

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
Peach can be troublesome until you get purples, they shut her down just like Brawl. R.O.B. is just a lot of power shielding and then the usual stuff. Actually purples make everything easier.
In a matchup like Peach's where purples are so necessary, would you prefer playing with the custom (if they're allowed) that gives all pikmin side-b's hitboxes, or just organize your line to have purples like normal? It seems like that custom could be kind of helpful in that case, but I'm not sure if the tradeoff is worth it. Could I have some opinions?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
In a matchup like Peach's where purples are so necessary, would you prefer playing with the custom (if they're allowed) that gives all pikmin side-b's hitboxes, or just organize your line to have purples like normal? It seems like that custom could be kind of helpful in that case, but I'm not sure if the tradeoff is worth it. Could I have some opinions?
I don't like to use any of Olimar's customs. I feel with adequate Pikmin management you can get purples easily. Then you don't have to sacrifice the option of normal side-b which can help wrack up damage even faster.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
What about Kirby?
In FG, literally every olimar mains(I run into VERY few) I have seen are pretty bad in general, I mean I see he can still be a tough character, but I shut down a few olimar players once I got their copy ability xD.
The Pikmachine Gun wrecks olimar recovery(depending on the stage of course).
I mean I can not say much else besides the copy ability of Kirby against Olimar.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
We haven't talked about Bowser and Bowser Jr. too.
I couldn't defeat a Bowser Jr. yesterday... I'm very ashamed.

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
We haven't talked about Bowser and Bowser Jr. too.
I couldn't defeat a Bowser Jr. yesterday... I'm very ashamed.
I had to play a top bowser jr. main at apex. I think number 2 in the country. I double 2 stocked him with low percent. I think we have the tools to destroy him. WiFi is a different beast altogether for me at least. It's way harder to deal with Bowser Jr online, but in person we nullify his side and down b

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
What about Kirby?
In FG, literally every olimar mains(I run into VERY few) I have seen are pretty bad in general, I mean I see he can still be a tough character, but I shut down a few olimar players once I got their copy ability xD.
The Pikmachine Gun wrecks olimar recovery(depending on the stage of course).
I mean I can not say much else besides the copy ability of Kirby against Olimar.
In our favor probably 60-40, but if you get the copy ability I'd say it shifts to kirby favor 75-25

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
In our favor probably 60-40, but if you get the copy ability I'd say it shifts to kirby favor 75-25
Jesus, if You get the copy Ability the MU shifts THAT much? O.o
then that projectile is one of the best in the game then xD

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I had to play a top bowser jr. main at apex. I think number 2 in the country. I double 2 stocked him with low percent. I think we have the tools to destroy him. WiFi is a different beast altogether for me at least. It's way harder to deal with Bowser Jr online, but in person we nullify his side and down b
Thank you bro, this gave me hope :D.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Jesus, if You get the copy Ability the MU shifts THAT much? O.o
then that projectile is one of the best in the game then xD
the projectile kirby gets when copying olimar is extremely good. I played a kirby online the other day who got the copy on me and spammed neutral b for the rest of the stock. it was incredibly hard to deal with. I can see why the matchup would swing to kirby's favour by that much.

Lesson learned: don't let kirby eat you

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Just wondering, what if this thread follows what some other characters' subforums do and do Matchup(s) of the Week? I think it would help organize information for each MU, since the thread has recently been Q's & A's on certain MUs for the past few weeks.

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
Nah. Kirby may have the better projectiles, but we know that Kirby's copy ability combines our b with our side-b, making the move fail if used in the air. A well-timed jump plus the yellow Pikmin that arcs over can out range him a ton, pressuring him to change up his game as we sit back getting free damage (as long as we have the distance to do that). There actually is a thread about this somewhere in the Olimar forums. With such few Olimar players currently I think you would find it.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Nah. Kirby may have the better projectiles, but we know that Kirby's copy ability combines our b with our side-b, making the move fail if used in the air. A well-timed jump plus the yellow Pikmin that arcs over can out range him a ton, pressuring him to change up his game as we sit back getting free damage (as long as we have the distance to do that). There actually is a thread about this somewhere in the Olimar forums. With such few Olimar players currently I think you would find it.
Kirby is small however, and can still get in even in the air, obviously if Oli has no choice to go in the air to approach/attack us,
We generally would see it coming.
(Though I basically never fight Good Olimar's online so its hard to actually test this.)

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
That doesn't make any sense. One yellow pikmin won't force him to change up his game play. We are absolutely forced to approach kirby when he gets our copy ability. Definitely turns into his favor.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Just wondering, what if this thread follows what some other characters' subforums do and do Matchup(s) of the Week? I think it would help organize information for each MU, since the thread has recently been Q's & A's on certain MUs for the past few weeks.

This would be ideal, but there's just not much activity here. I do think there's enough knowledge out there to do it right now though.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
This would be ideal, but there's just not much activity here. I do think there's enough knowledge out there to do it right now though.
I would say we do have enough knowledge, it is just that some users aren't motivated.
I don't have THAT MUCH as you or @ Myran Myran or anyone that post here has, but I do have experience against good players here in Chile. My experience can help too, even when I'm not able to attend the amount of tournament I wish.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
@Soapitonnic have you played this MU? This reminds me of a post saying how D3 beats MK despite never playing one outisde FG.

MK can DA through all pikman besides purple who only clanks MKs DA, his mid range game allows him to always bully Olimar and exert pressure with his dash grab and dash attack. When the MK boards cover this MU I'll go more in depth.
I'm not sure what Olimars you've been fighting, but MK does not beat him.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I'm not sure what Olimars you've been fighting, but MK does not beat him.
I can say the same to you, but that won't won't solve anything.

Edit: I'll read what you have to say about the mu, if you can be bothered to write it out.

Last edited:

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
That doesn't make any sense. One yellow pikmin won't force him to change up his game play. We are absolutely forced to approach kirby when he gets our copy ability. Definitely turns into his favor.
I'm talking in a temporary sense.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
He has no tools to get in on Olimar.
I don't have the experience as you two guys, but I'm with them on this one. MK has some things to give us troubles with.
Even when he can destroy all of our Pikmin, I don't think that's the principal reason, but I do believe a good one gives us a lot of troubles.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
He has no tools to get in on Olimar.
He doesn't get in. He just waits for you to screw up and then moves in with dash attack or grab to juggling.
Hovering Dairs is one of the ways he goads you into doing this.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
He doesn't get in. He just waits for you to screw up and then moves in with dash attack or grab to juggling.
Hovering Dairs is one of the ways he goads you into doing this.
I'm not agree with you on that. I believe Olimar has the advantage over all when it comes to "wait" for you.
You can build up damage without moving, using only your Pikmin.
MK doesn't have that hability.

Can we talk something about Pikachu? I went to my 2nd tournament last Saturday (I'm going to post the bracket as soon as they publish it) and that little piece of $%/&%"!°! destroyed my way to the top, even when I was better u_u I did a lot of mistakes.
I think my bad was going after him so fast, with so much hurry. I should have wait for him and throw my Pikmin.
I guess it was like that too because I didn't have experience against Pikachu u.u.

What is the correct way of fighting against a Pikachu?
And yes, he did spam the electricity. He short hop above me and punished me every time he could. I believe the word is hitsun, but whenever I got hit, I received some kind of lag.

Need help with that u.u.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
What were metaknights tools to get in on olimar in Brawl?
Ridiculous frame data and nado.

I can play the range game against him all day until he has to approach, and when he does he isn't as fast as he used to be. If you aren't fast/lagless good luck against Olimar.

Last edited:

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Ridiculous frame data and nado.

I can play the range game against him all day until he has to approach, and when he does he isn't as fast as he used to be. If you aren't fast/lagless good luck against Olimar.
It's the same basic mu I think. Both characters got nerfed.

Top Bottom