• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar vs Ike

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I really really hate fighting ike, though he is slow, he can easily KO me at 50% ._.
Pros and cons to fighting Ike?

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Pros: Hes fat, slow, and has an easy gimped recovery.
Cons: Nothing

Honestly, this should be one of your easier matchups. You can 0% combo him to like 50-60, he shouldn't be killing you at 50% b/c his attacks take so long to start up. You should definately see them coming. His sideb goes nowhere if he has a pikmin latched on to him. Hes strong yes, but your faster. Space yourself, WAC if you need to, and avoid his smashes. He has a hard time with latched pikmin also, so latch if you need to.

CALOZ

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm i fought some ike users. They have no problem with me i do combos on them since he is a heavy. But the part i hate when they charge their Fsmash and accidentally running into it >__>

Fino

Smash Master
Yeah, Ike should be one of your easiest match ups.
Very predictable in that his moves are awfully slow.
Punish the ridiculous cool down lag he has
Be a grabbing plucking and chucking wh*re lol
When in doubt, WAC it

Ike fights for his friends...

OLIMAR'S FRIENDS FIGHT FOR HIM!!!!

~Fino

Excellence

Smash Champion
I've been playing a friend who's a serious Ike main. I'm sure some of my difficulty comes from the fact that we've been doing Ike vs Olimar matches for the past four months, but here's what I have.

Ike's Pros:
- Heavy
- Good range
- Easy KOs
- More advantageous stages

Ike's Cons:
- Easy to combo
- Gimp magnet
- Slow
- Predictable

When Ikes get used to you constantly throwing spam at them, they're going to catch on and not get hit. They'll keep there distance, but after a while, they'll start approaching. Most will not approach from the ground unless they're that ignorant about Olimar's ground abilities, so usually they'll hit from the air. The Ike I play uses Nairs, lands without lag, and goes into his A-A-A, combo a lot punishing any rolls with a smash attack. I doubt you'll come across an Ike who spaces them perfectly like mine, but if you do your only hope is to shield grab it. If you miss, DI out of the combo and try to fight back. At this point, I'm usually at the edge of the stage so I just hope off and minegame my way back on to the stage. The way I play is to just punish Ike's lag, spam, and combo him whenever possible. My method of Ike is usually Back Throw from a Blue Pikmin, Up Throw with a Purple Pikmin, and Up Smash on a returned Ike who uses side b.

Awex

Smash Lord
Hmmm i fought some ike users. They have no problem with me i do combos on them since he is a heavy. But the part i hate when they charge their Fsmash and accidentally running into it >__>
Well there's yer problem.

Don't run into Ike. Ever.

His jabs are stupid good, and everything else is so slow you should always see it coming and shield.

Okay, bair comes out fast, and nair has no landing lag. That's a bit worrisome. But that's it.

Ike is noob tier. Noobs use him. Noobs lose to him. Just play smart and keep your spacing. Really, it's easy. =)

Kaicyios

Smash Rookie
Ike is a very easy match up if you pay attention. Make him come to you and pay attention to what you are doing.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Careful, people take offense to calling their favorite characters 'noob' tier. Even scarier, a few of those people are actually half-@$s at those characters and will challenge you to a match if you keep ranting.

Awex

Smash Lord
I know there are legit Ikes out there. There are legit players for every character. But there's a large, undeniable group of bad people who play Ike purely because "He kills so early" regardless of the how slow some of those KO moves are. These are noobs.

CALOZ

Smash Apprentice
Well there's yer problem.

Don't run into Ike. Ever.

His jabs are stupid good, and everything else is so slow you should always see it coming and shield.

Okay, bair comes out fast, and nair has no landing lag. That's a bit worrisome. But that's it.

Ike is noob tier. Noobs use him. Noobs lose to him. Just play smart and keep your spacing. Really, it's easy. =)
Your right ill just wait until he is done with the forward smash lol XD

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I know there are legit Ikes out there. There are legit players for every character. But there's a large, undeniable group of bad people who play Ike purely because "He kills so early" regardless of the how slow some of those KO moves are. These are noobs.
I must say, that's very true...

Barge

All I want is a custom title
I like being agressive with olimar, and I dont pay attention and run into his fully charged foward smashes D: But still, I hate fighting him even if hes e z match up.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
I like being agressive with olimar, and I dont pay attention and run into his fully charged foward smashes D: But still, I hate fighting him even if hes e z match up.
I play a really aggressive Olimar. Aggressive doesn't necessarily mean rush into everything though. ;x
I play a more situational Olimar. I tend to analyze my opponents and pick on their weaknesses. For example, if Snake likes doing Non-Contact Mortar Slides a lot, it suggests that he's trying to avoid close combat.
Another example: If an Olimar is camping, they probably want to lure me in. I weigh the options if I can out-camp them. If not, I attempt to break their rhythm.

Excellence

Smash Champion
Know what I'm having trouble with? I have no idea what the hell my friend is doing with Ike, but it's working and knocking me off the ledge. It's the ONLY thing his Ike has going for him, that I cannot figure out - watch it be something simple too. He's jumping and using an aerial, I can't tell which it is, but I'm pretty sure it's Nair. Then, he goes directly into the AAA combo. I can tell he's spamming it, because something I see him just holding the A to sit and jab air. What should I be doing to get away from the death jab?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Don't try to beat his nair. If he's getting too repetitive, roll behind him. Just hold the shield button until he finishes the jab. His grab isn't very strong. Dthrow>fair>fsmash>grab>upthrow>upair works well for some reason.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Pikmin spam to rack up his damage. Nice thing about Ike having slow moves, is that it also takes longer for him to knock off the pikmin then most people.
Also, Ike has just as much trouble as you off stage, or at least darn close, so he can't go too far off stage to gimp you. In my experience, I have had an easier time gimping him then he can me, but that just might be the Ikes I play.
I try to keep the match on the ground, he does have more range then you in the air and even if most of his aerials are slow, if you miss a WAC and land into one, in can be bad with your weight. Ike is easy to spam white pikmin to grab, which is always a GREAT feeling to do :D
Big characters should never be a real problem, except ROB, and maybe a DDD with his gimping ability.

Iron Asian

Smash Rookie
Most Ike's like to spam the up b. Make sure u don't get hit so u can shield grab him once he's done. Ike has range and that's it.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
You can gimp quickdraw by throwing pikmin at Ike. Olimar is all about punishing, and Ike is entirely punishable. Even his air game is better than Ike's.

Oh, and a good Ike will never spam upB. Far too punishable. They'll only pull that out if you're above them.

Top Bottom