• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar is broken! Olimar is top tier! Olimar is the best camper! Olimar is too good!

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
Okay, people.

We get it.

We really do. We understand, you can't beat your friends when they play Olimar. And even if you can, you still see the need to complain / brag about it by making a brand new topic in the Olimar forum.

We understand your pain, or if you PLAY Olimar, your joy. But seriously, guys, it's useless clutter. The same arguments are being thrown out to every single one of your posts. You have eyes, so I suggest you use them in stead of typing everything that comes to mind.

Olimar players come to this forum to discuss strategy, find out new things, and to become better at this game. Non-Olimars come to this forum to complain. Please don't. It's annoying.

Florida

イーグランツ
Sticky this. I was just about to make one of these myself. Seriously though, in the last hour three to four threads on one of those topics have been made. We know that Olimar is "cheap," or "top-tier," or "broken," and the list could continue. It just reminds me of how much we need a moderator in this board to help clean some of this stuff up.

Ralucard

Smash Cadet
hm, those times I've met Olimar players I haven't had it THAT hard actually to call him broken. Sure he's a handful when he got alot och fat purple pikmins, but more than that. well, don't know.

Maybe I haven't met a REALLY good Olimar player yet, hope I do so soon so that I can train on a strategy against him ^^

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Sticky this. I was just about to make one of these myself. Seriously though, in the last hour three to four threads on one of those topics have been made. We know that Olimar is "cheap," or "top-tier," or "broken," and the list could continue. It just reminds me of how much we need in a moderator in this board to help clean some of this stuff up.
I'm Pyr0 and I approve this message!

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Or, as opposed to whining about it, you could realize that the posts with substance give you ideas on says counters for certain characters.

You assumption that people who state issues with a character are bad at beating them is baseless, by the way.

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
Or, as opposed to whining about it, you could realize that the posts with substance give you ideas on says counters for certain characters.

You assumption that people who state issues with a character are bad at beating them is baseless, by the way.
I'll stop if you stop. At the very least, post in one of the other 3 topics on the front page.

I wasn't necessarily targeting you with that assumption. I have read the occasional "I can't beat my brother when he plays with Olimar = god tier" stuff. Though, the whole "read before you post" thing applies to you, too, since you could have posted in the other topics...on the front page.

The OP still stands. Read before you post, don't clutter the forum.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
The difference between whining/complaining about a character and actually actively working to improve your game against a character is simple. Scrubs strictly whining and complaining post in the Olimar forum. Players trying to improve and understand their match up post in their main's forum asking about it.

-True

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
The difference between whining/complaining about a character and actually actively working to improve your game against a character is simple. Scrubs strictly whining and complaining post in the Olimar forum. Players trying to improve and understand their match up post in their main's forum asking about it.

-True
Correct. For example, instead of whining about my problems with Wolf players, I actually did my own research and figured out an alternative to countering Wolf's forward smashes. When I need advice against other characters, I use the forum's search engine to find topics pertaining to my problems. It's better to seek information, rather than whine about problems, in my opinion.

Keep an open mind. I firmly believe that Brawl is balanced enough to allow any character to beat any character. Likewise, Olimar can potentially beat anyone. We just need to learn how to. :)

iTz NaY

Smash Cadet
who knew

its a shame olimar is labled cheap. back when brawl first came out. i picked him up thinking no one else was playing him :lick: which is kinda true....very few people Main him from what i've seen. he's alot of fun. but because bad people at this game still complain about his cheapness. i might just go luigi and main him haha

Rass1618

Smash Rookie
its a shame olimar is labled cheap. back when brawl first came out. i picked him up thinking no one else was playing him :lick: which is kinda true....very few people Main him from what i've seen. he's alot of fun. but because bad people at this game still complain about his cheapness. i might just go luigi and main him haha
yea, i agree, although i kinda agree that he is a good camper, but i like to just go on the offensive, i own, and the thing that balances it out is when you go on the offense, if you lose you pikmen you can easly get owned, normally what will happen is when i fight my friend i go on offense combo him to like 70-80% or so, then i try to retreat to pluck more pikmen(i always try to save 2) but if they die and i get juggled i basically die, i didnt even really know he was cheap till i came to olimar section today, dang, i dont really wanna play as a cheap character :/

edit: oh yea btw wanna talk about a camper, me and my friend played this team of zelda/toon link over wifi and zelda spammed her side b on us, and bassicaly spammed us to death, the hit box on that thing is so huge not to mention 15% dmg per hit, theres a camper

Wardub

Smash Cadet
LOL this character board has 418 threads. I don't think any other character has over 250 threads.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
LOL
btw olimars have no skill, they just play an overpowered gay *** character.
Wow, where did this negativity come from? :)

You are bound to be flamed for saying that in an Olimar forum, by the way.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Lol, I don't come to this board to complain. I come to this board to share info that my brother and I figured out. My brother is an Olimar player but hardly comes to these boards, and I just like to post a lot. :p

I don't think he's cheap, broken, too good, etc. That's scrub talk. If he's so cheap, broken, too good, why don't you pick him up and play him yourself?

WhoseReality?

Smash Apprentice
Whether Olimar is cheap or an "overpowered gay *** character": his projectile use isn't nearly as bad as some of the lasers, Pit's arrows, or all of Snake's assorted weaponry. If I WASN'T playing Olimar (as if), I would probably jump over the pikmin or let it hit me and attack so it'll die anyway. Both of those things would be more effective than some combination of crying/trying to start fights on discussion boards.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Lol, I don't come to this board to complain. I come to this board to share info that my brother and I figured out. My brother is an Olimar player but hardly comes to these boards, and I just like to post a lot. :p

I don't think he's cheap, broken, too good, etc. That's scrub talk. If he's so cheap, broken, too good, why don't you pick him up and play him yourself?
I do play him. That's kinda how I figured out he was broken.

@ Whosereality: A decent Olimar isn't going to miss with all his Pikmin, and killing them won't do much for you anyways.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
I do play him. That's kinda how I figured out he was broken.

@ Whosereality: A decent Olimar isn't going to miss with all his Pikmin, and killing them won't do much for you anyways.
It seems like you still believe Olimar is broken. :)

It's pretty simple. I am just going to be saying what everyone else has been saying, but in a simple way.

Olimar has natural advantages over many characters on the stage. Translation: Olimar is broken on the stage. If you consider this, alone, then it is logical to say that Olimar is broken.

HOWEVER,

When Olimar is launched off of the stage, his tether cannot save him if the edge is occupied. This is so important for anyone who uses Olimar. This accounts for the vast majority of Olimar's deaths. Not from being launched off of the screen, not from being launched through the ceiling, or spiked into the bottom. I would say 80-90% of all Olimar deaths are caused by mis-tethers.

If you still don't understand why Olimar is not broken - but rather, one of the most balanced characters in SSBB, ultimately - then you haven't used Olimar enough. Play with Olimar for a few more weeks, competitively, and everything will suddenly be clear to you. :)

AzureDrag0n1

Smash Rookie
SO far I can sometimes beat Olimar with MetaKnight who I think will be my main. I can't win with any other character yet against him. In addition why I think Olimar is broken is because that is the only character I have managed to beat 3 level 9 cpus on team battle with no items and no team attack. Only Olimar can do that for me.

My bro asked me I he should stop playing him. He admits that he is overpowered as I do not have such a hard time when he picks other characters. His main is generally Shiek too.

Since I have the most experience with Metaknight I have to concentrate very hard to get in precisely the right distance and the right time where Olimar is vulnerable for a fraction of a second. If the stage zooms out it gets much harder for me to win since I can not judge distance so far away as accurately and it is harder to see the pikmin. Most of the time I attack him with aerials 45 degrees to his character. Other times I jump over the forward smashes and try to land a hit with a quick attack. If I ever mess up I am punished heavily. What makes it so difficult is that it can be hard to guage the attack as he can delay his smashes by a fraction of a second to break up the rhythm and do short hop aerials while I try to look for an opening.

BTW never ever fight Olimar on shadow mosses unless you have a very powerful attack to send them flying. No edgehoging on that stage means Olimar has no real weaknesses there.

goldemblem

Smash Apprentice
I totally agree with Azure, i main Fox, DDD and Jiggly, and I always have a hard time defeating my brother, the most consistently way i can kill him its with edge hugging, but he has became pretty good, and now i have almost none chances to edgeguard him, with the only one i can defeat his its with fox, and i have to be extremely aggresive and consistent with my attacks, there are times when i was owning my brother, but I messed up and ended with a kill that should have never happened, i don't know if he its broken, but i would say yes, you need to have a very good approach and tech chase, and in my opinion the Olimar player can just avoid attacks and rack up damage.

AzureDrag0n1

Smash Rookie
I tried playing Olimar vs Olimar and for the first time I was able to have very close games without having to play so hard. I have a suspicion that Olimar may well be the #1 character in the tiers. Maybe I will switch to Olimar as my main instead.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Olimar is the definition of my hatred, I hate that little geek with his little spermy looking booger men!!! I don't care what anyone says, I don't care how much it annoys people, its fustrating as hell to face this guy. I hate this guy more than I hate the broken, raving animalistic metaknight. Sakurai said he balanced all the characters out? Yeah right. Sakurai recreated the whole "pokemon type weakness" gig, and took it to a whole new level in brawl. The man created some of the most horrid, god alwful matchups advantages to a point where its not even funny. Argghh darn it!!! Its like melee shiek and fox merged together and reincarnated into olimar!!!!!!

AtmuhLikesPepsi

Smash Cadet
I wholeheartedly agree with this thread. Ever since I got the japanese version waaaaaaay back in early February the FIRST character I mained was olimar, so how was I supposed to know he'd be so crazy? Nowadays all I hear from every single person I play is you suck you play olimar, and it's really starting to piss me off.

GodotAA

Smash Ace
people complain about everything even me.

i main meta knight and all iheard was meta knight is broken he has to much priority.
so i went to wolf. all i heard was his smashes are too good.
after that i played jigglypuff for fun. **** bairs and fairs stop spamming them.
next onto ness, what a cheap foward air it has too much priority.
Then onto Zero suit. **** that stun gun is so cheap .

every character i play people complain about.

its human nature to complain about somethign you dont like.

but to spam it on forums where everyone knows it already is just stupid

personally i hate olimar. i thought he was stupid and his gameplay wasnt my style.
zomg don't flame me ><

but he is a few levels above myhatred for pit.

GodotAA

Smash Ace
what a stupid post if anything shiek reincarnated into zss or wolf. the only problem is that shiek is still in the game. olimar has a totally different game style then shiek.

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
ohh excuse me, I mean in terms of cheapness. Hahaha no way olimar plays like shiek nor fox, I just mean on the level of being cheap, olimar takes the cake......

cHooKay

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, if you say so? Although I did typed that metaknight is broken in my previous post, I have no idea as to how you got the idea of me posting anything about how being "broken equals cheap". I'm not gonna argue about that if that's your take because my comment seems like it eludes people since I didn't leave any concrete details and the fact that I wrote it in two post. My previous post is dumb then. Calm down bro, I'm not even going to worry about it anymore, whatever man...:urg:

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
If anything, Olimar has similarities to Melee's Peach, not in playstyle but for these reasons:

1. Seems to Counter, and be countered by completely random characters.
2. Effective at building assloads of damage if your opponent makes a stupid mistake.
3. Requires a decent amount of dedication to not suck balls with him.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I toy with Olimar once in a while and he's not even my secondary...so I second the first post :p.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Yes, Olimar can be cheap. It's perfectly okay to hate Olimar, and/or be annoyed by him. That's perfectly acceptable.

What's not acceptable, however, is saying that Olimar is broken. And that is the purpose of this topic. Olimar is not broken. He is, in my opinion, ultimately one of the most balanced characters in the game, if his tether recovery is considered (and SOME people are really understating this part!).

Olimar can be cheap. Olimar is not broken, though.

khoasgotrice

Smash Cadet
its easy for olimars to say that hes not cheap or not broken, for the most part i dont think hes broken(really close to it though), just cheap. "i would just jump over olimars" it doesnt work, by the time you get to him he can just usmash or back away., only chance is to play someone whoes really fast/strong/very good range.

edit: "if hes so good/cheap then why dont you play as him yourself? thats the main reason i dont, i dont like to play cheap chars, you are not good in ones eyes, just cheap, plus it ruins the fun in the game.:ohwell:

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
If anything, Olimar has similarities to Melee's Peach, not in playstyle but for these reasons:

1. Seems to Counter, and be countered by completely random characters.
2. Effective at building assloads of damage if your opponent makes a stupid mistake.
3. Requires a decent amount of dedication to not suck balls with him.
Pretty much the smartest 3 things I've ever heard out of an Olimar user. By the way, as of March 29th R.O.B. and MetaKnight destroy Olimar. =/

Top Bottom