• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar (and IC's) banned?

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Alright, this is weird yet scary. My German friend tells me IC's will be banned for 100% sure, and probably Olimar as well. When I asked why, he said "because he's imba." He also said there was a post about this here on SmashBoards, but he had to go and couldn't link me to it.

I mean, wtf? They can't just ban characters. One big lie? Sure hope so :confused:

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
yea.......... olimar will nvr be banned lmao... thats 100% true that as of this moment, he's not even an option for this. the ic thing i am highly doubtful of... the reason some people have offered this is because they have sever ways of infinite grabs, not chain grabs, but literally infinite grabs since you can grab and toss to the sister then toss to your self and etc... but i am highly doubtful ic will be banned, esp since you can look at the amount played at tourny's and well, if the ic's were that cheap... they would be everywhere

Tohoya

Smash Rookie
According to the tier discussion, Olimar is only around 7th in overall tournament performance so far. I doubt he's going to be banned.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I dont think Olimar will be banned but I'm sure that the IC's z grabing that you talked about could be but then they have another infinite so they cant ban every thing they have so we'll see

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
They will ban the new IC's infinite grab...it goes under the veil of "stalling" but they won't ban characters...also since there is no overlapping league that is running brawl, individual tourney's make the decisions anyway.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Why in hell would they ban Olimar? He has too many bad matchups to be a ban worthy character. They didn't ban Fox in Melee, and he pretty much had no bad matchups.

Ace55

Smash Lord
First off all: I love the idea of a Belgian playing Olimar (aleé, waarom slaat ge nou mijne Pikminnetjes dood).

Olimar isn't ban worthy, Snake, Wolf, Marth, Meta Knight, IC would have to banned before they come to Olimar. And just the idea of banning a good character I find offense. Why don't those people pick that character, win all the tournaments they enter, and then declare him broken.

Fredd

Smash Apprentice
I think it`s all a matter of opinion. ~ ish
As for character bannings?
Highly unlikely.

Staco

Smash Champion
I think IC will only get a grab limit (only 4 grabs in a chain) or so

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Olimar, however good people may think he is, will never get banned. He has a good number of bad matchups with high tier characters, especially since his recovery is horrible. If any character were to be banned, in my opinion it should be Snake, but I don't think any character should be banned.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
you hear that the IC cg is now banned in texas? I was surfing through smashboards and came across it in the IC subthread. Olimar's never getting banned though. Olimarman is right about his analysis.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
The game will stop being played competitively before any character is banned. Brawl has a lot of ground to make up to be as competative as SSBM still, and while I hope/believe it can, if any character is found to be that broken and the game doesn't have at least as committed a following as SSBM yet, people will just stop playing the game seriously enough for bans to matter.

As for IC chain grab, i've not yet encountered it too seriously nor have I fought too many ICs in general, but unless ICs without the chain grab are considerably tough, I personally am not against the chain grab. Each character has its angle or advantage, so long as the chain grab isn't too easy to pull off still I'm not against the IC's angle being trying to keep both of them alive and get a grab as prepared to pull off the chain as possible. Guess it all depends on how easy it is to do and how inescapable it is, but i'd let the IC and tournament director players worry about this one =)

-True

J4pu

Smash Champion
**** your title for sounding so intriguing,
no matter what some random kid says no whole character is getting banned... especially not Olimar... (I figured there was some crazy new Olimar trick when i saw the title but since there isn't this is possibly the stupidest thread ever, aside from the ever-coming new "I threw an item with D3" posts)

There is no way they would ban the IC's chain grabs they aren't even close to broken.
As for the IC's chain grab being broken, it is
brawl changed from melee into being a more defensive minded game, so the fact that a character has a 0 to death move that works 100% of the time if done correctly and the technique is quite simple to learn (I tried for about an hour and got 1 strategy of it down pretty consistently) would be considered broken
however despite this point of view I am not against the IC's chain grab as in competitive play a player should be aware of his opponent's strengths and weaknesses and play accordingly. Also i find it somewhat difficult to set-up for the CG since IC's non-grab game is difficult to play at best, and Nana's lag being too much to allow for shield grabbing to be normally effective.
Of course put in the hands of an IC expert, grabbing probably isn't as hard, thus making it up to the opponent to find a way around it.

Conclusion: IC's chain grab is broken, but IC's are not, and without their CG would be a substandard character

Top Bottom