• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar’s B move has little to NOTHING to do with actual pikmin

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
Lol disproved. I guess Kirby won't be able to throw them, but they can still follow him.

dookieSMASH

Smash Cadet
olimar better have a **** good standard moveset and smash, otherwise.................uh oh:confused:

Zek

Smash Ace
lol, looks like the move won't do anything at all for Kirby. I guess he can just run around with 6 of them to confuse the Olimar player :p

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
You all thinking so shortsightedly.

OBVIOUSLY, they will assist in Kirby's standard and smash attacks, making Olimar's copy ability one, if not the BEST ability Kirby could ask for.

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
How in the heck will Kirby benefit from Olimar's neutral B, the Pikmin pluck? Pulling pikmin out of the ground will do .... what? I wonder if Kirby can also have an army of pikmin. Would his smash (A) attacks be changed to use the pikmin after he plucks them? That seems unlikely, but I just have a lot of trouble picturing how Kirby will make it work.

Ok, so how exactly am I supposed to knock the opponents off the edge if most of Olimar's moves involve managing his little pikmin army? I mean, yeah, you throw the little buggers at the opponent, but even that supposedly only does slow damage. Hopefully the Pikmin chain will also do some damage.

It seems like Olimar's main hope for getting the good, strong hits in will be left to his smash attacks, mostly.

I must say, though, this is probably the best way they could have done it. They pretty much kept Olimar true to his nature by having him pluck and throw and whistle, all the while making him depend a lot on his little enslaved carrot-minions. I am just a little nervous cuz I wanted Olimar to be awesome, but so far I feel unsure about him having lots of win potential.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Maybe the Pikmin that Kirby will pull up will just aid him in attacks, or perhaps in this situation he might inherit a different move, like his Whistle? Wouldn't it be useful to suddenly steal your opponents Pikmin with Kirby and turn them against their leader? I doubt Kirby being able to inherit an entire moveset though. That's unthinkable.

Oh, and there's always the possibility that he will gain a move that is NOT Olimars. Rumors say Kirby can copy items, perhaps he would turn into one of those instead?

VelvedJones

Smash Rookie
dang, he pretty much sucks now. how would he go about fighting someone like Master Hand when all he can do is throw things?

[wouldn't it be cool if when kirby sucks up olimar, he plucks up pikmin that look like him?]

Xarias

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys ever think that Olimar can still literally DO his smashes and other attacks, but without his Pikmin, he'll have so little range and power, its worthless. Its not like they can make you UNABLE to insert the command for a Smash attack, they have to have SOMETHING happen.

The way I see it working is, say Olimar's Forward Smash is a big swinging punch. Without a Pikmin, his stubby arms aren't gonna do much, but if he grabs, say, a red Pikmin, then suddenly the attack has more reach, and a fire element, as well as above average damage. After the attack, the red Pikmin is either dead, or returns to the back of the line. Then he does another Smash attack, and he grabs a yellow Pikmin, adding even more reach, an electric property, and average damage. It cycles.

When Kirby uses the Pikmin Pluck to get Pikmin following him, it works in a slightly different way. Kirby does a Forward Smash, and his attack gains whatever properties the current Pikmin gives. So Kirby would burn his opponent and deal more damage if a red Pikmin were next, and he'd kick out farther, and shock his opponent if a yellow Pikmin were next.

An alternate way of looking at it is, maybe Kirby doesn't suck up OLIMAR, but the Pikmin themselves! All of his attacks could gain the properties of whichever Pikmin he absorbs.

Camera_Guy

Smash Journeyman
dang, he pretty much sucks now. how would he go about fighting someone like Master Hand when all he can do is throw things?

[wouldn't it be cool if when kirby sucks up olimar, he plucks up pikmin that look like him?]
The Pikmin latch on to the hand and kill him while you focus all your mental energy into dodging.

If he flies off the screen though you better start plucking before he attacks.

ThatOtherGuy

Smash Cadet
They could still help Kirby (or Olimar incidentally) by being hum-er, Pikmin shields. If that wasn't possible, why bother referring to the red one as immune to fire?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Easy solution. Allow Kirby to pick up the Pikmin as if they were items after he created them for a throw.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They could still help Kirby (or Olimar incidentally) by being hum-er, Pikmin shields. If that wasn't possible, why bother referring to the red one as immune to fire?
Because you can kill the pikmin

Replacement100

Smash Apprentice
Kirby could suck in a Pikmin and get different properties, and Olimar could just make Kirby into a random pikmin. Doesn't follow the trend, but eh.
Long shot, but I dunno, if you can attack Pikmin, you can probably suck them in, etc. Could shoot them back at Olimar. :p

Well there you have it, a rare instance in which I am completely wrong. I wonder what Kirby will do with his Pikmin. And good call for whoever said Olimar would have a tether recovery.

Kirby could suck in a Pikmin and get different properties, and Olimar could just make Kirby into a random pikmin. Doesn't follow the trend, but eh.
Long shot, but I dunno, if you can attack Pikmin, you can probably suck them in, etc. Could shoot them back at Olimar. :p
The Pikmin aren't characters so they can't be copied. You can't copy a Turnip or a Waddle Dee, now can you?

Ageman20XX

Smash Apprentice
The Pikmin aren't characters so they can't be copied. You can't copy a Turnip or a Waddle Dee, now can you?
Er, technically they are characters. Turnip or Waddle Dee are attacks purely and are never assumed to be characters. The Pikmin are. The character select screen doesn't say "Peach and Turnip!" or "Dedede and Waddle Dees!", but it does say "Pikmin and Olimar". Not only are Pikmin in the character select name, but they come BEFORE Olimar. Not even Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard have this honor and we already know that Kirby copies each of them seperately rather than copying the trainer hat.

So while this doesn't confirm that Kirby will copy the Pikmin themselves, it certainly lends a lot more credibility to the theory...

senorspoof

Smash Apprentice
I am happy to admit I was wrong. I'm just surprised that Sakurai would give Pikmin, such a unique game aspect, to another character.

Top Bottom