• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

po pimpus

Smash Ace
OK Everyone

Here is the address:

Oklahoma Memorial Union
900 Asp Avenue Suite 428
Norman, Oklahoma

Web address: union.ou.edu

If you need directions just use MAPQUEST.

We'll be in the Sooner Room, I believe that's room #121. 2vs2 Tournament will be held first at 1PM. Once we wrap that up, the 1vs1 Tournament will begin after a short intermission. In order for things to run as smoothly as possible, we'd like for everyone to arrive about half an hour before start time to give us time to set up the brackets properly. We'll try our best to prevent friend vs friend matchups early on, but it would help if you guys come as a group, or even also have some kind of crew name to signify you and your allies.

SETUPS: So far we have about three or four TVs and Cubes and copies of Smash, but for the sake of a quick and efficient tourney, we'd like to have at least six or so. We can get by on four, but it will drag the tourney out longer that way. More setups also mean more TVs for free play as well.

SPECTATORS: A lot of people have asked if their friends and family would have to pay. The answer is no. Unless they are participating in the tournament, of course. If they're there to watch or are simply your transportation, they won't have to pay anything. Now we don't want to have a tournament with only 32 paying people and 400 freeloaders *laughs* So please try to limit how many folks you bring, guys. Two or three is cool, but rolling in the Sooner Room with 50 Cent's whole entourage is taking it too far. Use good judgement, please.

CONDUCT: Now, we're all adults(or getting there), so I shouldn't have to really say this, but PLEASE, PLEASE be on your best behavior. We are guests and as such we need to act like we have some sense. I would like to be able to do this again and the good folks at the Union have given us the opportunity to set this up. We all like to have fun and joke around, but don't go overboard. Absolutely NO roughhousing! I've been to tourneys were fights nearly broke out all because someone was messing around. Also, there is some pretty expensive stuff here. I don't want someone knocking over my Cube or breaking my TV...
Gamers have been getting a bad rap in the media lately, so I want show people that people who play games are well behaved members of society. We may be needing a couple of volunteers to help us concerning refereeing and rule enforcement, but we should have it covered, more help is always appreciated.

Sorry for sounding like a nag, but these are things that needed to be said. Oh yeah, one more thing: BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLERS!! Most of us only own one or two, and most our extras are pretty busted. So if you don't have a controller of your own, you'll be pretty much SOL.

I'll be posting more frequently until the big day with updates and other info, so stay tuned.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Alright then its all laid out now, Finally, man this is great.

Ok, so 2 vs 2 is going first eh, well that is fine with me, I might have about 2 or 3 people with me that want to watch if they dicide to come, but not a entire load, and the idea of haveing the people that know each other last is great, Actually we all dicided that that name was ******** today, and are going to change it, don't know what its going to be but, well think of something.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
man.........we really need to get some more cubes and t.v.'s. I'll bring a cube and ill try to bring a t.v. I hope more people will bring stuff so we can have more battles ........less people sitting out.

J

Jasongame

Just out of curiosity - because you said no using pre-programmed controllers - would it be legal for my friend to use a MadCatz controller? The reason I ask this is because he likes it much more than the Nintendo conrollers since its bigger. However, he never uses the Macro button (I never even found a use for it personally) to cheat or use it for preprogrammed input. Would that be okay?

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
Ill ask my bro if he will bring his gamecube, Id be more than glad to bring my TV. Im not sure about this, but doesnt the Macro button just reset the controller?

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Jasongame: Sorry to say, but I don't think your friend can use that controller in the tourney. It sucks, but he'll probably have to run with a standard controller.

Shade, would it be possible for you to tape some of our matches as well? I'd really like to study my technique afterward. I had some more stuff to say, but I can't think of them at moment. I'll post later tonight with it if I can remeber what it was...

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
Why would you want to use a madcatz controller anyway? I used one, and it will be the last one I will ever use. I dropped it, the "grip" part came off, both of the, I had to use tape to make it useable. Then the grip on the c-stick came off, and on the control stick it started to break apart. The macro is a terrible button, I play roy and I use the B alot and sometimes my finger would slip and hit that button and I would stop whatever I was doing as was open to a free shot until I could figure out my mistake and fix it.

My opinion, Official controllers> Madcatz.

J

Jasongame

Well, the only reason that comes to mind as to why he likes to use the Madcatz controllers is because the Nintendo controllers are too small for him. He never has problems with accidentally touching the macro button though (not that he ever uses it). But, I was just asking that way he doesn't come with a Madcatz controller and everyone's like "you're disqualified for an illegal controller."

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Sweet and well-said. I can probably bring a Cube and definately a memory card. Po_pimpus, I am with you on the recording matches bit. Personally, I would like to record the entire tournament if possible. I could upload it all online and have a viewable database of it. So, to everyone, if you are able to bring tapes to record matches on it would be very helpful to the cause of recording. I'm sure everyone wants to have recording of themselves, and providing some tapes would aid that.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Hmm to bad, well Po Pimpus, I would be more than happy to record some of your matches, the only thing is I can only bring one VCR and that means 1 match at a time!!!! so the tourny would go alot slower if we recorded the whole thing, however I am going to make sure that we at least get the finals on tape to DVD to CD to Online site.

Good we have a few more items at our disposal now, and that means more friendlies at the same time. Ha ha I can hardly wait for this.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Shade_ said:
Hmm to bad, well Po Pimpus, I would be more than happy to record some of your matches, the only thing is I can only bring one VCR and that means 1 match at a time!!!! so the tourny would go alot slower if we recorded the whole thing, however I am going to make sure that we at least get the finals on tape to DVD to CD to Online site.

Good we have a few more items at our disposal now, and that means more friendlies at the same time. Ha ha I can hardly wait for this.
If most of the TVs there have built-in VCRs, then we should be able to get more than one at a time.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Mithos, glad you can provide a cube to the cause. I'll have to look back through the thread and see who's bringing what., At this point, we may have more cubes than TVs! Ha! Omega Star and Shade, I can definitely provide tapes for recording, and possibly a VCR... We'll see. Shade, how good are your editing skills? Because I really wanted to go big and make a kind of tourney movie showcasing the highlights both in game and in reality of the event. If this turns out as big as I think, we'll definitely have lots of "Hey remember when..." moments.

However, I don't want to put too much work on any one person, so it won't be any big deal if you aren't able. I hope to have our own camera at work as well, so maybe we can work something out.

Shade, I've got some really cool ideas I'd like to run by you... I'll PM you soon with the details.

That reminds me, if anyone wishes to bring their own camcorders for recording matches and such, feel free to do so! I want everyone, regardless of wether they win or lose to walk away feeling like they gained something, be it a deeper knowledge and respect of the game, some great memories, or hopefully some new friendships. We're going to be making history here, guys. This is Oklahoma's first TRUE Smash Tournament, and I want everyone who loves this game to be a part of it.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Alright you bet , I actually hope that I make quite a bunch of new friends when this comes as well,

Any way my editing skills are I guess you can sa near crazy, I am the type of person that does something and then sticks to it till its done, and " until its PERFECT" So it dosn't matter how much there is to edit, if you give me 5 hours of tape to edit then I will work on it till I get it done "the right way", " I have been doing this for a while, I was actually worried on if you guys were not going to let me record alot cuz of how long it would take to get everything, Me preferably would like to get the enire thing on it, but as I said I don't want to be the cause of your being impacient and then very board.

Like Po Pimpus said I also wanted to record the out of game things that happened so you could hear us go like " uuuuuuuuuuuuu, or ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh," or what ever when some one pulled something crazy off or almost died lol.

Any way that would be great, and when ever you get those Idea's together PM them to me as soon as possible.

Oh guess I better say this while the topic is on recording, OK to anyone that cares, When we do this when we edit these vids and things, we also edit in music, and the if you actually have a particalur song you like, "Fighting Style Song" then email it to Zinth, so that we can edit in the Song while the fight is happening, The winner of the fight gets to choose the music that goes with it, If not then I have about 1500 songs of witch to choose from that would match SSBM fights very well,

I hope no one minds "Japanese Techno, and Rock" we also have alot American Rock and techno songs for the fights as well if you don't like Japanese "though it is all about how it sounds if you ask me." Well just if you have any preferance email it to Zinth and if not I will Choose some of mine, "its not that bad" Lol.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Hm, more VCRs and camcorders to record would be good. So I agree with po_pimpus that anyone with those should bring them if possible. Shade is good at editing out the videos. Then he gives them to me and I make a movie out of them. So we can get stuff done well.

Shade_

Smash Ace
I think, well have enough people over here to make a good crowd for ourselves, and I think a few of us ar bringing a few people to watch as well,, but you have a good point the crowd does make things alot more fun.

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
Japanese anime songs rock!!! Check out L'Arc~Ciel (Ready Steady Go from FMA), probably my favorite. Cowboy Bebop got some crazy songs aswell.

Oh, and everything sounds cool in japanese, so you really cant go wrong.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Thanks, I have quite a few of those, And I will have Blaze get that song that you no problem. Any other recomendations.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Eh, I've said this a lot, but there are only two days left so I'll say it again to be sure. Any one who has blank tapes, VCRs, and/or video cameras they can bring should bring them. We want to get this entire tournament recorded and providing help will make it easier.

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
I got that song Shade, so dont worry about! If ya need it, just pm me, call me (if I see you I'll more than likely givey ou my number) or Aim me.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Ok I will more than likely PM you then,

As Zinth said, any help would be much apprieciated. OK 1 more day, Hope everyone that has wanted to come has read this topic and knows it is THIS saturday.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
One. More. Day.

Yes! It's almost time, people. Just to recap, the location is the

Oklahoma Memorial Union,
900 Asp Ave. Suite 428
Norman, Oklahoma

Start time is 1PM for 2vs2, 1vs1 will follow shortly after 2vs2 wraps up.
If you're bringing TVs and cubes and such try to arrive around 12NOON so we can start this thing on time...

We'll be in the Sooner Room on the first floor. (If you go to the website: union.ou.edu, its under "Sooner Saturday" in events) Everyone's read and understands the rules, right? Everyone who said they can bring cubes and TVs and such will remember to bring them I hope. Anyone who can help us as far as recording (tapes, VCRs, camcorders) please post saying so.
BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER!!

Oh yeah, we still don't have a name for this thing, do we? Lame stuff like "Sooner Smash" and "Oklahoma Tournament" are just too plain. We need a cool name for this thing... Any ideas? I'll run some names by Vegafuse and we'll take any suggestions under serious consideration. I probably won't be back on until later tonight, so if there's any updates (people bringing equipment, people dropping out :( ) just post saying so. I can't wait... Let the hype commence!

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
How about S.N.T.T.

Smash to Name This Tourny *kidding*

Anyways, thanks for covering everthing Po. Now we can finally get this thing started. I can bring a VCR and a blank tape. But lets all make sure that no one loses anything at the Union, it happens a lot at other tournies and I don't want anyone getting upset and whatnot.

And if anyone wants to know, I use Bowser, Mewtwo, and Pichu.

RosterImposter

Smash Cadet
Oklahoma Smash 4the Ages!

I might not be able to make my, my ride is being a **** making me pay $20 for gas and $5 for him to enter. So I might not be able make it unless he changes his mind, I can get a rid from a family member, or a maricle....

DancingFighterG

Smash Ace
Yo, this is DancingFighterG. What up Smash players. As the organzier and CEO of the Colorado Cutthroat Console Tournament, I'm formally inviting all of you to CCCT for the huge Smash tournament that will be taking place!. I would love to see your state represent. If you have any questions about the tournament go to www.ccct2k.com or contact me on the boards. Hope to see you there guys and gals!!!

Mithos

Smash Rookie
Hey Shade just wondering when do you think the videos will be put on here?
I should have got some phone numbers or email addresses.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Mithos said:
Hey Shade just wondering when do you think the videos will be put on here?
I should have got some phone numbers or email addresses.
It'll be some days before they're up. When we just do one of our own video recording sessions, it takes him the entire day to do them =o And then there's the process of selecting music and making them into movies. Could potentially be done by the end of this coming week, though with school and whatnot, I dunno. Needless to say, he's certainly going to have his work cut out for him =\ Too bad I don't have the equipment to do that too, otherwise I'd help. I'm going to make a web page with the bracket on it where you can click on each match to see its videos.

I thought the tournament turned out great. It was great getting to meet you all and having challenging opponents. It was also great getting to record all the good battles that took place. I took the data from the brackets (which I will always have, part of history) and made these brackets with them, just to get the results out to the public. Once I get the videos, I will do more extravagant things =p

South_Paw

Smash Ace
It brings tears to my eyes guys... nah not really. But that's awesome... next... Phoenix tourney :)... I want those videos shade!

Shade_

Smash Ace
Ha ha, don't worry I will get them as fast as I can, but keep in mind I have 8 tapes worth of recording each about three hours long to take care of, it might be about a week or two till I can get it done, So don't expect anything immediate sorry though.

Anyway I just wanted to thank every one that came to the tournament for coming every single one of you made it a great experience "yes Zorg even you helped, you drew the bracets lol" and I would like to do some of these more often, so yah thanks everyone. VegaFuse those last group of matches were some of the beast I have had in a while.

Oh yah I have some other great news. Because of what happened yesterday I think I was able to make my mom double think of weather I would be able to go the the Arizona tourniment, I would have to have a ride though, so if any one could help get me over there I might be able to come.

Again thanks for making this happen.
Talk to you guys later.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Awesome

First off, I want to thank everyone who came. Without you guys, this couldn't have happened.
It was cool to finally get this thing off the ground. Congratulations to Shade, Zinth, Mithos, Haku, Kosmos, and my 2vs2 partner, Marc aka Fresh. You guys are some of the best around. Mad props.

Shade, like everyone else, I can't wait for the vids. I know you guys will be doing your best to get them out as soon as possible :) Good job on getting first in both Teams and Singles. In regards to the tournament, I want to formally apologize for starting us off so late. I won't bore you with excuses, so let's just say I carry a lot of responsibilities and with this being the first tourney I've tried to host, I managed to learn quite a bit about how its done. Next time will be a much smoother experience, I promise.

Hey, South Paw, do you have a date set for your tourney yet? We'd like to come, but I need to know at least a couple of weeks in advance in order to take off of work and make preparations. Shade, if you want, we could probably give you a lift if we go. I'll be getting AIM pretty soon, so we'll be in touch. Thanks again to everyone who participated and we'll definitely be doing this again soon.

Shade_

Smash Ace
Cool, oh yah about your tourny DancingG, I would like very much to have a shot at your tourny as well, it just depends on how everything tourns out and such, I am not sure if I am doing anytihng on those dates yet, but If I am not then you can probably expect me to go.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
My tourney is either the 18th or 25th of March. I'm still looking for a location, or I would have a set date already... but when I do, I'll put it up on the calender, so make sure everybody checks out the calender when I get that up... Don't worry though guys, I'll make sure you guys are the first to know... I already have a location, I just need to officialize it first so I know for sure we're gonna get it.

Sorry I haven't been on AIM as much guys. I have a job now (gotta pay for those road trips some how, lol) and I usually don't stay up past midnight anymore. But don't worry, like I said, I won't forget about my fellow Ok. players.

Zabuza

Smash Rookie
hey guys this is Haku from the tourny. it was great i hope we can do this again sometime also great job Shade you're the first person able to take down my shiek like u did next time ill be ready. ill do this to u :smiliegor lol j/k but hopefully i can learn some stuff from u and get better also ive never seen someone play with Marth like u do you're freakin awesome with him lol anyway i can't wait for the vids too. i need to see my errors i make so i can improve.

Top Bottom