• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay, we need to talk about ROB.

lain

Smash Master
At a high level of play it's more even if anything. IC's will kill every time they get a grab, ROB will camp like a mofo and make it neigh impossible to grab, while going after nana and gimping her correctly.

just my thoughts

legion598

Smash Ace
this wouldnt be as difficult of a match if i could freakin CG him! but his body is all weird shaped and is very hard to regrab so ur best off with lots of squall and lots of blizzard and desynch fighting and since hes so hard to regrab id try to ice lock him alot

meepxzero

Smash Master
this wouldnt be as difficult of a match if i could freakin CG him! but his body is all weird shaped and is very hard to regrab so ur best off with lots of squall and lots of blizzard and desynch fighting and since hes so hard to regrab id try to ice lock him alot
just do foot stool ice block regrab on rob (hobbles) its possibly the easiest cgs on heavies and do an fthrow to nana grab usmash at kill percent.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Bnzaaa alerted me of this discussion, and being a ROB main, I figure that I should throw my info down lol.

From my knowledge, ROB has got to be one of ICs worst matchups. While it's not absolutely devastating as ICs still have crazy chain grabs to rack up damage, it's still heavily in ROBs favor.

What ICs have against ROB:
  • Projectiles: While ICs can't necessarily outcamp ROB, with desyncing and using ice blocks and blizzard smart, you can keep ROB at bay and force him to approach from above you, which he does not want to do lol. You can fire ice blocks much faster than he can fire lasers.
  • Good Juggling: ROB kinda sucks when he has enemies below him, he has few options he can do. ICs on the other hand can juggle nice with uair, then even semi-combo that into an upB that can kill at a decent percent.
  • Chain Grabs: Of course ICs has this against ROB, they have it against everyone! I don't personally now how to do all the IC chain grabs, but from what I hear ROB is one of the harder characters to do it to, but practice makes perfect. I'm sure it's not too hard if you're used to it already.

What ROB has in the matchup:
  • Downsmash: Downsmash comes out fast, it's amazing, and somewhat splits up ICs (not completely all the time like Peach in Melee, but if it doesn't split them up enough, it will set them up for an aerial attack on Nana to finish splitting them up)
  • Laser: Laser goes through all of ICs projectiles, and can even be used to hit only one of the ICs to cause an unwanted desync confusing your opponent buying yourself time to get in and approach with the projectiles on hold.
  • Fast Grabs: ROBs grabs are really fast. Many characters can't grab ICs because you'll simply get attacked from the other one, however a ROB can dash grab to fthrow in just a handful of frames. It's quite impressive how fast it is.
  • Edgeguarding: Especially against a single IC, their recovery is terrible and ROB can capitalize on it beautifully. I like to abuse my power in the situation with a well placed slam dunk ;)
  • Hard to Meteor: ICs love that chain grab to Nana meteor. I see it used on almost everyone. However, yea... it's not that great on ROB lol. It's still good of course, but it can kill many characters at low percents, except ROB. To give you an idea, I was playing Brawl this past weekend online and an ICs chained me across Battlefield to a Nana meteor. I ended up at around 78% I think after the fair, and still survived EASILY (and if it was offline I would have reacted even faster). It's very easy for ROB to meteor cancel with his upB. In this situation I've even lived Nana meteors at around 100% with proper DI and good meteor cancel timing.
  • Tilts: ROB can outrange almost all of ICs physical attacks with moves like his ftilt. Additionally, ROB can dtilt which has a very high chance of making one of the ICs trip which just screams OPPORTUNITY!

lain

Smash Master
ChiboSempai gives good reasons. Plz listen to him because I'm lazy lol.

Rob has more advantages, but you can still cg him from 1 grab. It's not particularly hard cg him simply because he's so fat and heavy!

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
You were that high in rankings? O__o
But, ROB > ICs

/thread
Yeah. Me and Melee1 were the only ICs on the ladder. I was 38th, he was 19th or something like that.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah. Me and Melee1 were the only ICs on the ladder. I was 38th, he was 19th or something like that.
Good ****. I don't know how you can play IC's online LOL. I fail at that >_>..or at playing online in general.

Also LOL that sucks about holy.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Good ****. I don't know how you can play IC's online LOL. I fail at that >_>..or at playing online in general.

Also LOL that sucks about holy.
Thanksies. =^_^=

And it's a little tough. You can't do a lot of the cool stuff you can do offline, but actually getting a grab is much easier. >.<

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Kirby seems like he would do well against rob Kawaii.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Yeah, I'm only using the people I got there with as a umm...homage..tribute...thingy thing. So I'm using Kirby and Ice Climbers only. Kirby gets *****, but not as hard as Ice Climbers, so I'm using him. XD

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah, I'm only using the people I got there with as a umm...homage..tribute...thingy thing. So I'm using Kirby and Ice Climbers only. Kirby gets *****, but not as hard as Ice Climbers, so I'm using him. XD
Duck a lot and utilt a lot into bair :).

And steal his laser. It's adorable LOL.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'm going to be BEEPing a lot. =^_^=

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's sooooo cute LOL. My friend called me gay when I showed him but I don't even care it's so adorable.

/issecure :)

BEEEEP

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
wouldnt you try to space with the blizzard and desync the blizzard so that you can run up and Fair/Bair him? it can keep them confused i think

lain

Smash Master
They can laser through it.

Rob's advantages in this matchup are spacing and tricking ic's into grabbing so they can get punish, LASERS (can **** nana and your stock at the right time), GYRO (same), and of course dodge to dsmash, but that can be countered by sideb'ing.

Very even matchup.

Top Bottom