• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay team, time for some research.

Prawn

Smash Master
I just got home and found this thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240588

This could hold some answers to improving our SoPo game, I'm a tad "not in my state of mind" right now but I'm gonna look into it. I thought I'd bring it to ya'lls attention.

EDIT: Alright, I've been playing around with the ledge air releases(the only one SoPo has) and some things need to be said

-the dthrow chain can easily get MK(and a few others) to the edge to set up for the release, MK is immobile for a VERY good portion of time after the release, I'm now going in to see if anything can be followed up. Any help would be appreciated.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Ahaha. =P Want it closed?

Prawn

Smash Master
Yes I would, although this should be a warning to look out for ground releases too! haha

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Opened up for researchsies. Good luck. :o

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
So when MK is ledge released he's like...released like if Marth did it? I can see a FAir from it mayyybe but it's still worth looking into.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
All releases are the same from anyone. It's just that not everyone can force an air release.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240588

Look at the air release frame data. I don't know when Nana's fair hits. <_<

You can CG to the ledge, then force an air release on certain characters. You may be able to run off the edge, second jump (that is lagless) and spike them as they recover.

Yoshi can do this to many people but without the second jump IIRC. I'm pretty sure a lot of characters can do it, but grabs at the ledge are rare for many. The few who can force an air release haven't looked into it for the most part. (I know the Marth boards have a little bit)

So uhm... yah... while you are testing this, any way you can try to do a distance thing from release? :'( frames don't matter to much if they travel further in the same amount of time...

Prawn

Smash Master
MK goes pretty far away, which is the only problem, I think FAir is too long a setup and all that. I also noticed another interesting thing, if you are close enough to the edge that a ground release sends MK over the edge but not grabbing it I think hes forced to fall into a zone where iceblocks will fall.

EDIT: Right now the best tactic I can see coming from this is SoPo dthrow chain to the edge -> air release -> possible inescapable follow up, most likely just a chance to edgeguard/play defense from a good angle and react.

SuSa

You'd be suprised about the distance thing. <_< But I don't know the IC's frame data.

IIRC the air release is around 51~ frames, so if you buffer your dash off, lagless second jump, and startup frames of fair + I think 20 frames of lag after release (leaving you with 31~ frames) if your move is faster then 31 frames it may be able to hit.

I think.... lmao I'm not very knowledgeable about all of this and so far I've been going off of 90% theorycraft and the 10% I actually know.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I made a frame data thread. Hang on.

Prawn

Smash Master
I'm super tired and I'm going to research this more tomorrow.

Right now I've been doing some pretty interesting things against Fox and MK, but nothing that I can guarantee works yet. This might improve SoPo's MK matchup a good deal.

SuSa

19 frame fair? Depending how many frames it takes to get to the opponent, fair spike may be plausable. And they'd be in a position they wouldn't be able to tech the stage to live. Even with SDI. Unless.... you are playing on Yoshi's Island (Brawl) or something. :p

I recently found out (at least on FD) that fthrow > spike is better then just hold > spike from grab because of the extra damage. Since both... are techable. :'(

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
You can do some serious damage to Falco as SoPo. Ledge releases are a possible 0-Death on him if he attempts to recover with Fire Bird.

Prawn

Smash Master
You can do some serious damage to Falco as SoPo. Ledge releases are a possible 0-Death on him if he attempts to recover with Fire Bird.
Exactly what I was seeing against Fox/Falco, ledge release -> Ice Blocks can gimp them.

djm111

Smash Cadet
Exactly what I was seeing against Fox/Falco, ledge release -> Ice Blocks can gimp them.
If you D-Throw CG Fox to the ledge and pummel them once, they get released a certain way whether they spam jump or not. From this you can use an ice block before they get the chance to jump, and then easily edgehog their Up+B. I dunno about frame data etc. but its worked against human players and lvl 9 cpu's, and neither have been able to do anything.

djm111

Smash Cadet
Do you know if its the same principle against Falco?
I'm pretty sure you can force the release the same way, but Falcos release goes further away, so you cant hit him straight with an iceblock. You might be able to jump and do it, but I have no idea about the frame timings and specifics.

Top Bottom