• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay, so Yoshi is my worst character

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
and I don't like that. I enjoy playing the cute characters in this game(Ice CLimbers, Young Link, and GaW are my mains and I like to mess around with Ness, Bowser, Jiggz and Pichu). My yoshi is absolutely horrendous. Watching videos does not seem to help me at all. And I've read the guide and it's helping me slowly grasp him.

The fact that he doesn't have a third jump doesn't get to me at all. In fact, I'd say that I'm not usually gayed by the fact that he doesn't have a third jump. Alot of others things that he has are awkward though. Like no OoS jump(although Powershield jumping sounds like hot stuff). And after playing Ness, Yoshi's double-jump cancel feels slow and ineffective(although RDJC is cool). I've kinda remedied the DJC problem though. While I use Y -> Up for Ness, I use Y -> X for yoshi and that kinda fixes that. A little. Of course, bothering to learn Yoshi's DJC is a little depressing because he supposedly lost it in Brawl.

Anything that I should do in order to learn Yoshi quicker? I really wanna get good with him.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I hear what you're saying on a lot of these issues.

Yoshi's double jump is plenty slower than Ness', hahaha, so I hear what you're saying there. It's especially frustrating to DJ land while trying to DJC with Yoshi, as it messes up combo timing a LOT and is just...yeah. It's just frustrating. For this particular problem, changing button pressing patterns does help a bit, I'm glad you saw that for yourself. I think one of the more popular ways to DJC with Ness is a jump button and then up as you stated. I think the most popular for Yoshi is double tapping a jump button and for Peach, I think it's either the same as Yoshi or double tapping up on the analog. I play a fair bit of Ness and Peach as well and even though more than half of my time playing this game is devoted to Yoshi, I still have to force myself to use his specific DJC timing when I'm playing as him just because it's so different. For this problem, just practice the timing by yourself and then when you're playing matches, force yourself to recall that timing so you can put yourself in your own groove instead of relying on the first (or fastest) DJC pattern that comes to mind.

The sad thing about Yoshi is that he does take a lot of time. I've been playing him for years and I'm still pretty terrible, hahaha. Honestly, though, there are just those points in time where you play him for long periods of time and see improvement and then those ruts and brick walls come in and it just takes a while to pass them. For instance, when I think back over the years regarding how I've played Yoshi, some of my stumbling blocks more or less came in this order: recovering (this took a while), edgeguarding (I'm still pretty bad at it kinda), actually learning how to fight (LOL let's not talk about this one), technical control, and I think the most recent and impacting one has been mastering DJC (I'd say I'm almost there, but not completely--this is probably the area of my game I was weakest in and now am the most confident in). Of course, whenever I came to each of these points I never just said, "Oh, I need to work on xyz!" I had to figure out the problem, figure out why I was sucking, and then figure out how to get myself to suck less. It's one of those areas of player development where you can't go any faster than your own pace. Of course, this is aided by playing with better people, but it still comes down to you being able to fix what you think is wrong. If you decide to play with better people (better than you, not necessarily better than your current competition), that's good. It always is. Just make sure they're willing to help you out. It's easy enough to get someone to beat on you. Getting them to help you get better in the mean time is a different story.

In short, can you start getting better rapidly?

Maybe.

Haha, it probably wasn't the most optimistic answer, but that's what I've seen while growing and helping other people to grow along with me (and getting helped along the way). Of course, I could have over analyzed this and completely read in between lines that didn't even exist, so yeah. If what I typed out made no sense, don't pay too much attention to it. ^_^

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hey, you can post on my boards when you beat my terrible Yoshi lolkthx!

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
:marth: <------Why doesn't that work?

Just cuz my Marth/Fox/Any character get 2 stocked on average by your Yoshi doesn't mean...Nvm yeah it does.

D

Deleted member

:roymelee:

shiri just got royspik'd/10

everyone make fun of jesiah for being bad.

Shiri

Smash Chump
yoshi hella fcuken sucks, but i still main him.
:yoshi: Yeah, Speedsk8er, I forgot to mention...

...you'll find yourself saying this a lot on your journey for Yoshi greatness. I've said something similar to this more times than I can count, hahaha.

bigman40

Smash Master
Lol Shiri. I've never said that since I picked up Yoshi. He has my respect, and when I need him, he comes and beats all my opponents.
Speedsk8ter, just stay positive. Yoshi does take time to learn, BUT you can't over do it. Take like 20 mins to practice one technique. Take a break, and go back at it. Working like that will get you better in no time (I did it and it took me 1-2 months).

Top Bottom