• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay, so how much does Ike weights?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
After the E for All events we've all heard that Ike's taking the role of the "heavy swordsman" role which was heavily requested in here. Except, this role wasn't as much requested for Ike, but rather for Ganondorf and Ike's arch-rival and strongly overrated Mr. Black Knight.

We all know Ike's extremly strong and SLOW, but how heavy is our heavyweight swordsman really? I cannot picture him possibly being heavier than Samus, maybe just around Link's weight but yeah... who expected Ike to become what he is in Brawl now?

So for everyone who has been to E for All, how heavy is Ike really?

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
His movement is not that bad. I can't say that means he is not "heavy" but he is definitely slow when it comes to attacking.

E_Ress

Smash Cadet
At this point, we should be hoping for a floatier Ike.

With an absolutely abysmal horizontal recovery, Ike needs to make up as much distance as he can in his free-fall. If he was a heavier, faster-falling character he would stand no chance at recovery, just like Link back on the N64.

Granted, he would be hella easy to edgeguard, but Ike players would be so good they would get around that. >_>

Edit: Oh, that didn't relate to the topic in the least. Um, if it helps, he looked to fall around the same speed as Link. He is harder to kill off the top than most characters, though.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
I dont think he'll be that heavy, prolly around the way Samus was.
Samus was actually the third heaviest character in Melee. She was just floaty, which was the only reason she died off the top quickly (maybe you're talking about something else, since I'm assuming you should know this already).

Sakurai said:
This time there are several moves like this among the heavy characters, so watch out!
^That was from Ike's Up-B update.

There's also the fact that he carries that heavy sword around.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
He is heavy man. I went to E-4-All and I mained MK mostly, but when I played Ike, he was so difficult to play as due to his OBESITY. He is slower than Bowser, and definately seems to be heavier. I did not enjoy playing as him.

True Fool

Smash Ace
Ike should NOT be the slowest character in the game, as well as he should NOT be the hardest-hitter in the game. Neither of these things suit him, and it is a well known fact that these things together do NOT make a good character.

Why can't Ganondorf be our heavy swordsman, or even let Hector be our heavy blade using character? Is Ganondorf going to be a crappy magic-based character, are we really not getting any blade using character who could be heavy instead of Ike?

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
Ike should NOT be the slowest character in the game, as well as he should NOT be the hardest-hitter in the game. Neither of these things suit him, and it is a well known fact that these things together do NOT make a good character.

Why can't Ganondorf be our heavy swordsman, or even let Hector be our heavy blade using character? Is Ganondorf going to be a crappy magic-based character, are we really not getting any blade using character who could be heavy instead of Ike?
Who says there can only be one heavy swordsman? We've (most likely) got Marth and Meta Knight as fast ones. No reason there can't be 2 slow ones.

True Fool

Smash Ace
Who says there can only be one heavy swordsman? We've (most likely) got Marth and Meta Knight as fast ones. No reason there can't be 2 slow ones.
But aside from just plain being a heavy swordsman, why is he the extreme of strength and slowness? There could be two slow ones, but it seems very odd to me to look at Ike next to say Ganondorf, and see Ike slower AND stronger. And even stranger to see him next to Bowser or Ridley and be far stronger than both of them.

Cless

Smash Champion
That's just cuz Ike's a beast, but we don't know how Ganondorf is going to move in this game so it isn't fair to call Ike slower than him just yet.

You'd think they'd learn after Bowser in Melee...

smashbot226

Smash Master
But aside from just plain being a heavy swordsman, why is he the extreme of strength and slowness? There could be two slow ones, but it seems very odd to me to look at Ike next to say Ganondorf, and see Ike slower AND stronger. And even stranger to see him next to Bowser or Ridley and be far stronger than both of them.
As far as we know, Ike is horrendously slow, but insanely powerful.

However, the key term here is AS FAR AS WE KNOW.

There could be slower and even more powerful chars than Ike, like Black Knight or Ganondorf.

Cless

Smash Champion
Or they could be equally as fast or they could have some speedier moves like Ganondorf's aerials. Baseless speculation is baseless.

True Fool

Smash Ace
As far as we know, Ike is horrendously slow, but insanely powerful.

However, the key term here is AS FAR AS WE KNOW.

There could be slower and even more powerful chars than Ike, like Black Knight or Ganondorf.
That's what worries me. Ike is already easily considered bottom-tier (not to say that he has no chance of being fixed when the game is released), anything slower would be completely unplayable.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Ike is extremely slow in the demo, and I agree it doesn't suit his character one bit, but a character that was slower than Ike would be completely useless.
Ike's speed probably puts him on the verge of being unusable, which is why some people (me included) say that he can be used; it would just be hard to.
I have to respect Gimpy; he plays as Bowser, and he called Ike slow. There must be something wrong there.

Here's to hopes that Ike will be fixed before the release.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
He wasn't balanced. He was fast and strong as hell. He can decimate armies by himself.
Yeah... that was a lot of fun. :laugh:

I have no clue whatsoever as to where Sakurai is getting the message that Ike is so slow and strong.
Does anyone have any idea, or has Sakurai just gone mad?

Nodonn

Smash Cadet
In FE10 Ike looks like he took a crapload of steroids, that's probably where Sakurai got the idea.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
After seeing this thread, I am sure some of you will confuse wieght with fall speed?

Bowser is very heavy, but also fairly floaty. Samus is the heaviest in the game I believe, but she is also floaty..

Are you asking for weight or fall speed, I think weight is fairly hard to test, we could give you an approximation though.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. Ike is extremely slow in the demo, and I agree it doesn't suit his character one bit, but a character that was slower than Ike would be completely useless.
Ike's speed probably puts him on the verge of being unusable, which is why some people (me included) say that he can be used; it would just be hard to.
I have to respect Gimpy; he plays as Bowser, and he called Ike slow. There must be something wrong there.

Here's to hopes that Ike will be fixed before the release.
QFT on the bolded parts. Not much else I can say, pretty much sums up my whole thoughs on Ike. But, the main thing is, we just don't know what the fate of Ike will be, its in Sakurai's hands after all. I also doubt he'd be left in his demo state though.

ZachSoup

BRoomer
BRoomer
Guys, this is a new game, a game in which we don't have any firm grasp on. We have a four day demo to go off of, which in my book doesn't offer us any concrete conclusions. Yes, he is super heavy, yes he is super slow, yes his recovery seems like crap, but if that is indeed how the programmers intended it, there must be something to balance his character. Is anyone forgetting his flinch frames? No one has had time to figure out when these flinch frames occur, and how they can be implemented effectively. From my standpoint, Ike probably has a very unique play style that will be genuinely his, much like the ice climbers have their own unique style that doesn't quite transfer over to any other character in melee's roster. Anyone remember how low in the tier list the IC's were considered for about a year and a half after the games release? There has been just too much time put into this game for the brawl programmers to overlook such shallow observations on Ike's short comings (or any shortcomings for that matter).
I'm just going to say this:

The game has not been released.
The metagame has not been established.
Things we have gathered from the demo will ultimately mean nothing.
The only sure thing we have right now is speculation.

I don't care if Ike is slower then an autistic kid on the topic of nuclear fusion. Until we have the time to figure out how this game plays, not Melee the Sequel, but this NEW game, we cannot make any stupid assumptions of how balanced the characters are.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Guys, this is a new game, a game in which we don't have any firm grasp on. We have a four day demo to go off of, which in my book doesn't offer us any concrete conclusions. Yes, he is super heavy, yes he is super slow, yes his recovery seems like crap, but if that is indeed how the programmers intended it, there must be something to balance his character. Is anyone forgetting his flinch frames? No one has had time to figure out when these flinch frames occur, and how they can be implemented effectively. From my standpoint, Ike probably has a very unique play style that will be genuinely his, much like the ice climbers have their own unique style that doesn't quite transfer over to any other character in melee's roster. Anyone remember how low in the tier list the IC's were considered for about a year and a half after the games release? There has been just too much time put into this game for the brawl programmers to overlook such shallow observations on Ike's short comings (or any shortcomings for that matter).
I'm just going to say this:

The game has not been released.
The metagame has not been established.
Things we have gathered from the demo will ultimately mean nothing.
The only sure thing we have right now is speculation.

I don't care if Ike is slower then an autistic kid on the topic of nuclear fusion. Until we have the time to figure out how this game plays, not Melee the Sequel, but this NEW game, we cannot make any stupid assumptions of how balanced the characters are.
A+ post, I completely concur.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
After the E for All events we've all heard that Ike's taking the role of the "heavy swordsman" role which was heavily requested in here. Except, this role wasn't as much requested for Ike, but rather for Ganondorf and Ike's arch-rival and strongly overrated Mr. Black Knight.

We all know Ike's extremly strong and SLOW, but how heavy is our heavyweight swordsman really? I cannot picture him possibly being heavier than Samus, maybe just around Link's weight but yeah... who expected Ike to become what he is in Brawl now?

So for everyone who has been to E for All, how heavy is Ike really?

Strongly overrated? You clearly have not played Radiant Dawn. The Black Knight is easily one of fire emblem's best-ever villains, which is saying a lot, considering FE has had some of the best ever in gaming, and I can say that without a second thought. Ike really sounds like he plays like how BK should play (even though he would likely be fairly fast attacking, with very slow movement, but eh). I personally think they royally screwed Ike over in SSBB. He was by far my most-wanted character, and apparently they've made him virtually unplayable, at least in 1 v 1s, which are the only matches I can enjoy. Ike is a speed character, even in RD he's fast, despite his bulk. His swordstlye is supposed to be "rough and awkward, yet terribly powerful" ......but fast. He should have end-lag instead of startup-lag, with a decrease in power, though not a huge decrease. That would make him far more useful, and fit his stlye more. We can only hope that they do something with him during the delay.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Free for alls are quite entertaining actually, yet you dismiss them like yesterdays ****, try a 5 stock ffa against your friends a few times in Brawl, I bet you'd enjoy it.~ I think Ike will be far from unusable, people just need to learn how to use him, and make use of his super armor frames to get those insanely beefcake attacks through for some KO.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
Well, the fact that you can be grabbed during SAFs puts a serious hurt on that aspect. Though if you could react fast enough to start up say an Fsmash while visibly seeing an attack come at you, you could likely counter it. On top of that, it would take all of the apparent....3 or 4 good hits?.....to KO someone with Ike. There is some potential there...but I still say he should be fixed. Cutting frames out of his moves would be a ridiculously easy fix (I'm a computer animtion major with an AAS, on my way to a bachelors), and all it would take is to literally cut some keyframes out. That or maybe make only a small window during SAFs where the character could be grabbed...I'm not sure. Making characters useful in only 1 on 1s or FFAs seems pretty stupid, because SSB is known for being widely popular and accessible, and there are going to be people who want to play it differently, and use the character they want. It's really gonna suck if Ike ends up worthless in 1 on 1s, because that's what I play, and I want to main him.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
Ike is super slow but super strong? Whats gonna happen to
Ganondorf.........Triforce of power???????? If they're tryng to
balance the game better can you get any stonger than Ike.
Ike's speed doesn't make any sense to me.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Well, the fact that you can be grabbed during SAFs puts a serious hurt on that aspect. Though if you could react fast enough to start up say an Fsmash while visibly seeing an attack come at you, you could likely counter it. On top of that, it would take all of the apparent....3 or 4 good hits?.....to KO someone with Ike. There is some potential there...but I still say he should be fixed. Cutting frames out of his moves would be a ridiculously easy fix (I'm a computer animtion major with an AAS, on my way to a bachelors), and all it would take is to literally cut some keyframes out. That or maybe make only a small window during SAFs where the character could be grabbed...I'm not sure. Making characters useful in only 1 on 1s or FFAs seems pretty stupid, because SSB is known for being widely popular and accessible, and there are going to be people who want to play it differently, and use the character they want. It's really gonna suck if Ike ends up worthless in 1 on 1s, because that's what I play, and I want to main him.
I've said it before, but I think one more time won't hurt; I highly doubt Sakurai would leave Ike untouched from the demo, he chose to design Brawl so the same things that happened in Melee won't happen again, we've at least deducted that much, yes? He wants the heavy/power characters to be used more than they were before, the addition of super armor frames, the buffs to Bowser, and others prove that I think. I doubt he'll be unusable in 1 on 1, train hard and you'll get good enough with him to make him at least somewhat viable if he isnt changed(I plan on doing the same), like you said, it doesn't take much to get KO's with Ike at all, so, dodge a lot, use well timed counters to gain space, aerials, and get those smash attacks in. But, reiterating what I said before, there is no doubt in my mind he wont have his attacks sped up, by some amount. **This doesn't really apply, but honestly, wouldn't you be a little on the slow side if you used a freaking 2h sword with 1 hand? ;p

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
I've said it before, but I think one more time won't hurt; I highly doubt Sakurai would leave Ike untouched from the demo, he chose to design Brawl so the same things that happened in Melee won't happen again, we've at least deducted that much, yes? He wants the heavy/power characters to be used more than they were before, the addition of super armor frames, the buffs to Bowser, and others prove that I think. I doubt he'll be unusable in 1 on 1, train hard and you'll get good enough with him to make him at least somewhat viable if he isnt changed(I plan on doing the same), like you said, it doesn't take much to get KO's with Ike at all, so, dodge a lot, use well timed counters to gain space, aerials, and get those smash attacks in. But, reiterating what I said before, there is no doubt in my mind he wont have his attacks sped up, by some amount. **This doesn't really apply, but honestly, wouldn't you be a little on the slow side if you used a freaking 2h sword with 1 hand? ;p

Ragnell is a one-handed sword. Sakurai goofed. Wanna know how i know this? Because Altina wielded both Ragnell and Alondite at the same time. The swords were forged for her, and to be used with one hand. The excessive size is just Fire Emblem...pay no mind to that, and the long hilt is merely decorative. I'm sure characters will be tweaked, and even mechanics and physics may recieve some tweaking. what would be the point of a public demo if it's not to attain feedback on character balance and so on? I'm just wondering how much tweaking will be done, and how noticible it will be.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Altina is a goddess! Of course she can hold it with one hand! Ragnell's size in real life would be a great sword, which is a two-handed sword popularized when better armor freed up one hand of a shield.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Serious answer: "I have no idea, sorry."

Silly answer: "How much does dat guy weigh?" "Five hundred pounds plus, Art (Donovan)!" "...Dat's a big boy."

True Fool

Smash Ace
Altina is a goddess! Of course she can hold it with one hand! Ragnell's size in real life would be a great sword, which is a two-handed sword popularized when better armor freed up one hand of a shield.
But Ragnell in Smash and FE does not look too big. It looks around the same size as the Master Sword. It shouldn't slow him down much at all.

RWB

Smash Ace
Ragnell is a one-handed sword. Sakurai goofed. Wanna know how i know this? Because Altina wielded both Ragnell and Alondite at the same time. The swords were forged for her, and to be used with one hand. The excessive size is just Fire Emblem...pay no mind to that, and the long hilt is merely decorative. I'm sure characters will be tweaked, and even mechanics and physics may recieve some tweaking. what would be the point of a public demo if it's not to attain feedback on character balance and so on? I'm just wondering how much tweaking will be done, and how noticible it will be.
Size is generally what decides if a blade is considered a two-handed blade or not. If not, the length of the hilt does (Katana).

The excessive size is just Fire Emblem...pay no mind to that, and the long hilt is merely decorative.

Funny, fe-weapons in general are pretty normal sized, with the exception of Armads and Durandal(both being mentioned as being so heavy the protagonists had problems lifting them, yet they are being used one-handed in animations because it looks flashy, Eliwood even throws Durandal like 20 feet into the air with a flick of the wrist, and hector leisurely spins his axe like a propeller above his head), and FE10 Alondite and Ragnell(smaller in FE9).

Altina may have dual-wielded Alondite and Ragnell, but they are both longer than she is, and the hilts is about a fourth of her length, making them definite two-handers in FE10, at least.

And the only pic of Altina has her only using one blade, the other one is fastened to her belt. It also seems she is using both hands to wield it, although that might just be the blurryness of the pic.

Sakurai did not goof, he merely used logic. :p

EDIT: Oh, and size-wise, FE9-Ragnell was definitely a two-hander, compare it to Greil here.

It's a two-hander for GREIL in pure size...

And compared to Greil, Ike is downright puny.

Not to mention that a friend of mine hacked the game once and gave Ranger Ike Ragnell(Which he can use), and the blade was AT LEAST as long as he was. Lord Ike has a bigger sprite.

The only Ragnell that can aspire to not be a two-handed sword is possibly the smash one...

True Fool

Smash Ace
I'm not ready to argue the size of the sword in FE9 as I haven't played it in a while, so I'll buy that.

But in Smash and FE10 the sword does not carry a long, or heavy look to it. I wouldn't have gone and made a giant b*tch thread if the sword was bigger, like it may or may not have been in FE9, but it's not, it looks like a normal sword in Smash.

RWB

Smash Ace
I'm not ready to argue the size of the sword in FE9 as I haven't played it in a while, so I'll buy that.

But in Smash and FE10 the sword does not carry a long, or heavy look to it. I wouldn't have gone and made a giant b*tch thread if the sword was bigger, like it may or may not have been in FE9, but it's not, it looks like a normal sword in Smash.

It's definitely as long as in FE9 here.

Although seemingly long in the profile pic:

The "Smash-Ragnell" is actually quite small compared to it's FE counterpart(see pic below to see what I mean), although I would still call it a greatsword(also called hand-and-a-half sword, or simply a long longsword). So you are right about the Sword that is actually in Brawl not being overly big.

True Fool

Smash Ace
I guess that's another thing for me to whine about. The sword is too small in Smash. It does look larger in his profile pic, if it looked like that in-game I could accept there being slowness on him. If he had greater range it could make up for his speed, as well as it being more logical for him to move that slow.

Top Bottom