• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Okay... I just discovered something insane lol.

dr_six

Smash Cadet
/watch?v=xHYFwQmutLw&feature=youtu.be

Above is a video I made, demonstrating an amazing tech I just discovered. The hydrant will actually charge up any fruit you hold on to! This really makes me wonder what else the hydrant can charge. This has a lot of potential.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace

Your description of the "tech" (looks more like a glitch) is a bit misleading. I thought you meant if you were holding a fruit, you can turn it into the key using the hydrant or something. Instead it makes the fruit travel differently?

You should talk in depth about how to actually perform it. I can't tell if it's because of the way you're walking towards the hydrant as the water pushes you or what.

Last edited:

dr_six

Smash Cadet
Basically you just run into the water. And when you z-drop the fruit, the fruit will go flying behind you at a very fast speed, as if it retained the information of being pushed by the water.

Thank you for the input. I'll give a better description in the video description.

Last edited:

dr_six

Smash Cadet
By the way, you can place a second hydrant down after the first is gone, and run into the water that it sprays. Then, when you z-drop it after running into the water a total of four times, the fruit will fly across the stage even faster (extremely fast actually).

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
Does it lock on to a character or is the trajectory changed significantly or something? In the video it travels diagonally a little bit instead of straight ahead like that fruit normally does.

How fast does it go with the key? Does it work with every one of his projectiles?

Last edited:

EOE

Smash Apprentice
I noticed this a few days ago while looking for item combos. The wind-box affects the items in different ways. Running into it seems to create the most momentum, very interesting find!
The bell is my favourite to use because the trajectory is ridiculous. Haha.

You don't have to Z-drop the item, btw. You can throw it too. A lot of interesting mind games could come from this.

Last edited:

dr_six

Smash Cadet
The more charged up the fruit is (i.e., the more you run into the water), the straighter and faster the items go.

This is for z-dropping though. As for actually throwing it, like near said, the trajectories are different. And I need to test that out more.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
It's just pretty mind blowing that pac man not only has different levels of projectile, but each projectile now has levels of charge within themselves. @_@

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I actually already found this a while ago and put it in the AT guide
I just found something...really weird lol. If you catch the fruit, and walk against the flow of your hydrant water, when you release the fruit, it will fly off in the same direction that the water was pushing you. The
fruit travels even faster than the key when you do this LOL. This is great for a sneaky snipe on the opponent, and can even reach far enough to kill people who are near the blast line
Guess no one listened...
Anyway, this makes us even more tricky. Imagine melons at high speeds flying from our back XD

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
This is an awesome find! There aren't too many really useful techs and most of them are silly or so situational. But this seems like a straight up buff across the board... assuming you are fast enough to do it mid battle when you have the window.

I don't main Pac, but I'm really glad to know it's something I'll have to look out for. Thank you for sharing, and enjoy all you yellow pie lovers.

Last edited:

Meiwaku

Smash Rookie
I took a stock off a Robin online really easily and I guess he gave up- He just stood around, walked, a couple of tilts, so I decided to style on him a little with this. Definitely fun, KO'd with a backwards Galaxian. Not a HUGE amount of use, but if you happen to catch a fruit and have a hydrant out, why not?

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I just realized... If the same mechanics apply to all held items though... Diddy / Peach / R.O.B / Toon Link / Link / Mega Man will all be buffed vs hydrant... and villager if he knows. And any opponent if they catch Pac's
I'm going to do some testing vs a cpu right now for some of them.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
This is definitely a glitch, not a tech, but it's pretty interesting anyway. Looks like whatever velocity vector that stores external modifiers like water and windboxes doesn't have a flag that keeps it from being modified while it's held. I wonder if all items have this bug.

Spirst

This is definitely a glitch, not a tech, but it's pretty interesting anyway. Looks like whatever velocity vector that stores external modifiers like water and windboxes doesn't have a flag that keeps it from being modified while it's held. I wonder if all items have this bug.
I have a similar case to report with DHs can retaining momentum from an attack. For example, if Lucario fires a fully charged aura sphere when he's at 300% and the can is bounced through it then left to sit stagnant, one jab will send the can flying in the direction it would've flown if bounced back and with the same velocity, it seems. This also happens on a less extreme level, with the can bouncing towards DH even after he hits it the opposite way after the can tanked a projectile hit. Can be frustrating.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
well Peach and Megaman couldn't use this glitch with turnips and metal blades. And I guess it is somewhat situational but it's pretty cool either way. Sadly some of the items like the bell lose their extended stun effect, which is what I really thought was going to be the buff and best use out of this. Still it offers different options for direction and speed which is pretty dangerous. The only problem is out of pocket items will always be more unpredictable by default because they aren't telegraphed. I had high hopes, but this ends up being an interesting mix up option for your projectiles. I'm going to do some further testing though...

I have 1 last idea. If villager can pocket this while keeping the momentum stored ...
answer, no he can not

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
The bell loses its stun because it is dropped, not thrown. If you thought this had any competitive application...lol. It's just a fun little glitch. Once in a blue moon you may catch someone off guard with it if you like to use item drops with the fire hydrant for combos, otherwise forget about it. We still don't know how long any of the various glitches people have found will be around anyway.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
The bell loses its stun because it is dropped, not thrown. If you thought this had any competitive application...lol. It's just a fun little glitch. Once in a blue moon you may catch someone off guard with it if you like to use item drops with the fire hydrant for combos, otherwise forget about it. We still don't know how long any of the various glitches people have found will be around anyway.
Why are you stating things I just said, but saying it like you're telling me something I don't know? Because you knew it before hand? Am I supposed to say thanks? If you thought I'd appreciate the air of your post... lol.
If Peach/MegaMan could charge up a turnip with the hydrant this would clearly be competitively viable, so I had hopes before testing... no reason to be an ass

Chances are, if you're at all familiar with how Nintendo operates, most of these glitches are staying.

Anyway, I had fun with this little testing session, thank you again for sharing the info about the glitch. :D
I'm off now.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
If you've owned a WiiU or a 3DS for longer than a month, you should have a better idea about how Nintendo operates than you implied...lol.

dr_six

Smash Cadet
I think it's silly to say that it has no uses in competitive play. Here is a quick example of a use. Suppose you have the bell and you are facing your opponent who is far enough away from you. Now perform the sequence,

down b -> nuetral b (to throw bell) -> run off hydrant to grab bell -> run back to hydrant as water goes out

After doing that, you now have the bell charged up. This gives you more options on how to throw it. And by throw, I'm not referring to z-dropping. The bell will go all sorts of different paths depending on where you throw it. It's more useful than it might first seem.

Last edited:

dr_six

Smash Cadet
You can do this with the melon too. Suppose you charge your neutral b up to your melon. Then do,

down b -> run off hydrant and throw melon towards opponent -> if you can, try to regrab the melon with an f-air -> run back towards hydrant while water is spraying

And now you have a charged up melon.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Good setup plan, you two. Just remember that you are actually cutting down your options. It's a fun gimmick but a competitive player will exploit that once this becomes better known. Not gonna lie, I messed with it a little last night, and it is fun to surprise someone with it.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Well I'm sadly eating my words. 1.0.4 on the way... bleh. And it's not at all a "Bleh" because of you Sleek. It's just obnoxious in itself that they're changing the game and keeping things so secretive when for 15 years they've just let things rest on delivery. Oh well.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Haha it's alright Wiley. Times change. You're getting old! Look at it this way: the patches will keep the game feeling fresh and prevent any nonsense like Metaknight from happening again.

In my opinion though, when they put generic messages like "changed the balance of the game" into the changelog, half the time they haven't touched anything of the sort. They are probably going to be hands-off with balance for a while, and just fix bugs. Did we ever figure out what the "balance changes" were in 1.0.3?

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Haha it's alright Wiley. Times change. You're getting old! Look at it this way: the patches will keep the game feeling fresh and prevent any nonsense like Metaknight from happening again.

In my opinion though, when they put generic messages like "changed the balance of the game" into the changelog, half the time they haven't touched anything of the sort. They are probably going to be hands-off with balance for a while, and just fix bugs. Did we ever figure out what the "balance changes" were in 1.0.3?
In 1.0.3, no, but with replays getting broken this patch, we have a way to poorly test what was changed.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
What a funny little troll you are :D
See where your style of communication takes you in life. I hope you gain some awareness and aren't knocked around too hard by the people you piss off, should you manage to keep anyone near you through life. Best of luck little twerp.

Everything's been covered in this thread, thank you all for the information. Best of luck, I'm out.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
What a funny little troll you are :D
See where your style of communication takes you in life. I hope you gain some awareness and aren't knocked around too hard by the people you piss off, should you manage to keep anyone near you through life. Best of luck little twerp.

Everything's been covered in this thread, thank you all for the information. Best of luck, I'm out.
U mad? Come at me bro! I'll school ya again.

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
Stack like 6 water blasts on the edge of the nintendogs stage then throw the fruit upward

Its a good time

LayingSnow

Smash Cadet
So I just improved your technique a little bit. Use the bell for it and instead of dropping it you throw it with a. It will fly diagnoally and still have the stun effect

dr_six

Smash Cadet
By the way, this works with link's tornado bow as well!

Last edited:

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Phew,
And I thought I was the one leaving on the worse note. Thank you sir, my conscience stays clear today.
Look at this guy thinking you can actually come out of an internet argument without making yourself look worse with every post. :mad088:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Look at this guy thinking you can actually come out of an internet argument without making yourself look worse with every post. :mad088:
So after days and days of this being over. What does that make you?

Do you like reactions that badly?

You are equally guilty now. Thanks for trying to do nothing helpful but continue to poke at the situation rather than let it die off. It's exactly that, an internet argument... I know exactly what I was doing in saying what I said. All you're doing is trying to bring it back to life.

here let me do you a favor since you think you're doing something helpful but you're not at all...

I'm sorry for the childish nature of the posts I've made in this thread,
please find anything you can in my words and others to steer clear of interactions like these in the future because they lead to unfavorable results.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
So after days and days of this being over. What does that make you?

Do you like reactions that badly?

You are equally guilty now. Thanks for trying to do nothing helpful but continue to poke at the situation rather than let it die off. It's exactly that, an internet argument... I know exactly what I was doing in saying what I said. All you're doing is trying to bring it back to life.

here let me do you a favor since you think you're doing something helpful but you're not at all...

I'm sorry for the childish nature of the posts I've made in this thread,
please find anything you can in my words and others to steer clear of interactions like these in the future because they lead to unfavorable results.
I just visited the thread for the first time and saw an opportunity for a joke about the nature of internet arguments, not about you personally. Don't let things like this get to you so much, you don't owe anyone any explanation of what you do, and you shouldn't really care what people think about you anyway. :)

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I just visited the thread for the first time and saw an opportunity for a joke about the nature of internet arguments, not about you personally. Don't let things like this get to you so much, you don't owe anyone any explanation of what you do, and you shouldn't really care what people think about you anyway. :)
Oh that makes more sense now, it was just a joke the whole time. Now I get it :laugh:
Man you're pretty funny guy. I like your style, you're like the most transparent of all helpful people, just sharing a friendly laugh and teaching lessons where you go. Good stuff my man, sorry I was so slow, being referred to in the third person and being the punchline to the joke, I guess I was just not looking at it from the right perspective... but now! LOL too funny.

Ok well gotta go, thanks and I think I understand the internet now. Hope you have fun elsewhere on the site, friend. I'm really looking forward to not coming back to this thread.

dr_six

Smash Cadet
I remember the days when I used to argue over the internet. I think it's a phase that everyone needs to go through before they realize that it's just a waste of time.

LayingSnow

Smash Cadet
Guys chill. This is about a trick in a video game and not about the reason of arguments lol

Tesh

Smash Hero
I just realized... If the same mechanics apply to all held items though... Diddy / Peach / R.O.B / Toon Link / Link / Mega Man will all be buffed vs hydrant... and villager if he knows. And any opponent if they catch Pac's
I'm going to do some testing vs a cpu right now for some of them.
you dont need to worry about anyone else using this aganst you. this is very likely because fruit is one of the unique items that retains a hurtbox while being held. afaik only bombs and mechakoopas sare this property. most other items dont have hurtboxes. this is also why weak fruit block projectiles of any power.

Top Bottom