• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ok People, Yoshi is middle tier for a reason

Werewolf

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, my friend showed me a topic recently where everyone was dissing Yoshi and asking "Why is yoshi middle tier? How do people even know he's good enough to be middle tier? Did they just put him middle tier on just a whim?" Well, Yoshi deserves wholly to be middle tier, if not upper middle tier. I am an avid user of Yoshi, and am probably the best Yoshi in Texas. If you people would ever use Yoshi more often, you might just c why he's middle tier. Yah, ok, so he doesnt have an Up + B move that can save him, but his jump is so far that he can pretty much save himself from anywhere, plus u can air dodge after u full jump to get a little extra distance. Also, while he is going up in his jump, moves dont affect him, but only damage him. He has pretty good recover time, his spike OWNS (I LOVE HIS SPIKE), when he puts up his shield he's hard to grab for some odd reason, etc., etc. Soooo all you people who diss and degrade Yoshi, maybe if u learned to play him right u might just figure out he's better than you expected.

Trinitys_Sight

Smash Rookie
I agree my friend. This is also the same about more characters that are rarly used such as ness, mewtwo, G&W, Kirby, Dk, and Pikachu. They are all great characters, all you have to do is find out how to be as possibly cheap as you can with them. :)

ta11geese3

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anyone here is saying that yoshi sucks...

at least say which topic it is. if it's not a topic here then you shouldn't have bothered. cause swf isn't made up of idiots, you know...

SuggestiveName

Smash Apprentice
So you're good with Yoshi, want a cookie? I don't even play Yoshi but I'm confident I could beat you in a ditto match using him because juding by the way you present yourself, you don't know a whole heck-of-alot about the game. So what I'm getting at, is even if you disagree with the tier list, don't preach to the choir. The MBR created the tier list through extensive research and unarguable charachter advantages/disadvantes. So if you're good with Yoshi, use him, don't try to convince other people he's any better then he's been marked, basically, nobody cares.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
haha. First time saying this.

Read around!

it's not that hard. And that is off topic.

Now. On topic.

Why are you arguing for yoshi?
Ok People, Yoshi is middle tier for a reason
Anyways. He is a good character. But truthfully, I'd rather my friend play his yoshi than his jigglypuff. But, if you win major tournies with Yoshi, that'd be cool. Honestly, I hope you do :D.

Don't fret about a character's placing in the tiers -- play him better than anyone you know. And win. ^^ come to Minnesota to play in my tournies. They're really... REALLY cool ^^

<3 u! Don't take it personal!

Glide

Smash Ace
Ya know, I've yet to see people understand that middle tier REALLY means middle tier. As in, not the best, not the worst. In the middle. I really think people need to take a chill pill, and care a tad less about the tiers.

Fim

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi won't suddenly become better if he was placed high/upper tier.

Everyone, I mean EVERYONE thinks their bottom to mid tier character should be moved up a tier. Including me. So I guess this means that we should move EVERYONE up a tier, leaving us with the same list we have now ^_^

Tiers shouldn't effect who or how you play.

ZorkFanDM

Smash Journeyman
Wow, some of you need to actually read this guy's post before you start telling him he is wrong.

SuggestiveName: Good for you, you think you could beat him in a ditto. Who cares about that either? Also, where in his post was he dissing the current tier list? Oh, wait, he was defending Yoshi's position in the current tier list because several people have been questioning his position in recent topic.

Ta11geese3: It was the bowser discussion topic if I remember correctly. They started talking about Bowser compared to low/mid people and Yoshi's name crept up in a question form.

Trinitys_Sight

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by ZorkFanDM
Wow, some of you need to actually read this guy's post before you start telling him he is wrong.

SuggestiveName: Good for you, you think you could beat him in a ditto. Who cares about that either? Also, where in his post was he dissing the current tier list? Oh, wait, he was defending Yoshi's position in the current tier list because several people have been questioning his position in recent topic.

Ta11geese3: It was the bowser discussion topic if I remember correctly. They started talking about Bowser compared to low/mid people and Yoshi's name crept up in a question form.
I am glad someone here actually reads :). Oh and lol SuggestiveName lol you think you can beat my friend in a Yoshi ditto(thats the funniest thing i have heard yet on this forem)(gl with that buddy lmao). Well any way my friend here wasnt trying to argue that yoshi should be moved up or anything u people were talking about. ZorkFanDM was right he was upset about a couple of post in the What were they thinking? (bowser) topic, and was woundering why some people say things when they know nothing.(I still have no idea how you people in that post think bowser is better then those characters).

Shadows

Smash Journeyman
The only reason why people say Yoshi sucks is because no one bothers to play him the right way. You gotta play Yoshi a different way; as everyone is lazy to shift their play style to fit yoshi's.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Yoshi does deserve his current spot. But, he's not any better than that either so I'd have to disagree with you on your suggestion that he be moved up.

Rainy Day Toast

Stays Crunchy in Milk
BRoomer
Yoshi is in the lower end of the middle tier, as far as I'm concerned.

He's designed for a defensive game, but his lack of a shield cancel balances out his other defensive abilities, making him pretty mediocre. You can only CC and DJC for so long before you have too much damage to effectively defend yourself. They're great techniques, but he just needs backup, is all. While you're performing them, your opponent will be shielding when you attack and taking no damage. And DJC sex and CC dsmash aren't going to do enough damage to compensate.

If someone can find a way to reliably perform his shield slide glitch (light shield and get hit with a relatively hard move, and you slide across the ground very far, and very fast, happens sporadically), I'd place him closer to upper tier.

Iamdead7

Smash Apprentice
yoshi slide glitch? i did it once on yoshis isle!

me (samus) VS lvl 9 yoshi

i fired a fully charged shot at him and he shielded and he slid across the stage right up the hill and died

Rainy Day Toast

Stays Crunchy in Milk
BRoomer
Originally posted by Iamdead7
yoshi slide glitch? i did it once on yoshis isle!

me (samus) VS lvl 9 yoshi

i fired a fully charged shot at him and he shielded and he slid across the stage right up the hill and died
Normally you halt at the edge, stop for a bit, and then slide off and either DJ or grab the edge.

I'm surprised a computer did it, though. I thought you had to light shield, and I'm fairly certain computers never light shield.

(Anyone who is about to say "Yoshi doesn't have a light shield," watch the speed of shield deterioration when you hold it down all the way, and when you barely touch the trigger; likewise, watch the knockbacks and recovery times)

ZorkFanDM

Smash Journeyman
Nic64: No one said he should move up. Where exactly did you read that?

Other than that, I have to agree with everything RDT said. I have been playing Yoshi a bit and it does seem that he just has problems killing people before they kill him.

bodyguard380

Smash Journeyman
i just started using yoshi not to long ago(in my jouney of getting descent with as many as possible to keep this game fun) and he not to bad. beware the nose. i just hate it that he cant jump out his sheild.

Werewolf

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by ZorkFanDM

Thx for defending me zorkfan and you also trinitys_sight (good friend nick). Ok people, I was making this topic off of the bowser topic because people were dissing yoshi. Also, suggestivename, r u high on drugs, cuz my yoshi could tear urs apart and im sure of it.(Im sorry i had to say that, but u mocked me) Anyways, im not saying yoshi should be moved up in the tier, and i actually do believe somewhat in tiers, but mostly in the fact that you make a character as good as you play them. For example, umbreonmow owns w/ mewtwo in the vids, even though mewtwo is lower tier. Even mike owns w/ DK even though DK is also lower tier. SOOOO, tiers only matter to an extent, its the player who plays the character that makes the character good.

dcx1287

Smash Lord
I don't even play Yoshi but I'm confident I could beat you in a ditto match
I highly doubt you could, considering he has the best yoshi in Texas.

So what I'm getting at, is even if you disagree with the tier list
Kindly point out exactly where he said he disagreed with the tier list.

Wait a second, you can't, because he never said that in his post. Try reading the entire post before you respond next time.

So if you're good with Yoshi, use him, don't try to convince other people he's any better then he's been marked
Once again, he's not trying to convince people that yoshi is better than middle tier.

James Cruise

Smash Journeyman
The burner becomes the burnie. The sad world of Smashboards. LOL. Yoshi is fun to play, and I do think HAL realized they screwed him over in the N64 version. Poor Yoshi. I think he would rock if they just gave him a decent recovery. But that is already known. Anyway, he is fun as heck to play with and he, (if used properly) can compete with the rest of them. I think if more, (good - decent) Yoshi's show up more will be learnt about him. Other then that he is place pretty well in the tier list. Heh heh, Burnied. Kinda like Johning.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmmm...

Werewolf, I was wondering if you knew how to grab an edge in mid-DJ. I've heard it's doable, and I want to improve my Yoshi, and I figured if you're the best Yoshi in Texas you might know.

Werewolf

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by rmusgrave
Hmmm...

Werewolf, I was wondering if you knew how to grab an edge in mid-DJ. I've heard it's doable, and I want to improve my Yoshi, and I figured if you're the best Yoshi in Texas you might know.
Hmm, well i dont really get ur questoin. Exactly what is a mid-DJ. Is it while ur halfway between ur double jump?. Well, if thats ur question, yes, you should be able to grab the edge in a mid-DJ. But if this is not the answer to ur question, could u rephrase the question so i could understand what ur asking? Thanx. Ill try ad answer it best i can.

Rainy Day Toast

Stays Crunchy in Milk
BRoomer
Originally posted by rmusgrave
Hmmm...

Yoshi's instant edge hog? It's at the start of the DJ, not the middle of it.

Run off the edge, and DJ towards the edge immediately after. You grab the edge instantly. Significantly faster than WD. Flashy and occasionally useful.

Blork.

Nic64

Smash Lord
Nic64: No one said he should move up. Where exactly did you read that?
The first post "Yoshi deserves wholly to be middle tier, if not upper middle tier."

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Yoshi is right where he's at for a good reason. He's a very good character to surprise your friends with and has some great tricks but that doesn't stop him from being dead meat if he's off the ledge. It's the same exact way with Ness.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Rainy Day Toast
Yoshi's instant edge hog? It's at the start of the DJ, not the middle of it.

Run off the edge, and DJ towards the edge immediately after. You grab the edge instantly. Significantly faster than WD. Flashy and occasionally useful.

Blork.
So there's no way to do it in the middle of your double jump? Oh well...

Thanks anyway

ZorkFanDM

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Nic64
The first post "Yoshi deserves wholly to be middle tier, if not upper middle tier."
You know, he is middle tier. Upper middle is still upper.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Yoshi is really good, but it's really easy to take advantage of the fact that he has No UP B to save him. It's really easy to get quick kills because of this little fact. If it weren't for that, I think Yoshi would be one of the best. He's really good fighter, it's just that his recovery is REALLY abused by good players.

Trinitys_Sight

Smash Rookie
Ok please dont post if you dont know what you are talking about please becuase I find it to be really annoying. Most of you people have no idea what you are talking about and well just please stop embarrising yourselfs.

Werewolf

Smash Journeyman
Originally posted by Trinitys_Sight
Ok please dont post if you dont know what you are talking about please becuase I find it to be really annoying. Most of you people have no idea what you are talking about and well just please stop embarrising yourselfs.
Be quiet Nick, quit berating people, even if they dont know what their talking about.

"Yoshi is really good, but it's really easy to take advantage of the fact that he has No UP B to save him. It's really easy to get quick kills because of this little fact. If it weren't for that, I think Yoshi would be one of the best. He's really good fighter, it's just that his recovery is REALLY abused by good players."

EdReesesPieces, Its hard to take advantage of Yoshi because w/ his double jump he is temporarily invincible to most attacks. There are very few attacks that are able to break through it. Also, good yoshi users would be able to make it back to the edge, regardless of fighting a good player.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Yoshi is middle tier,

It's a shame he gets ***** by competent high tiers though. But thanks for sharing that your character is in fact mediocre and not garbage.

Top Bottom