• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oh no, a PictoChat icon! Let the debate begin!

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps one of the things they are working on is Super Smash DS, A sprite based DS game that comes with Brawl and plays exactly like melee but with Brawl characters.(nope)

Anyway, it likely means no AC character which is regrettable, but could be worse.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
I still don't get why some people hate Miis so much.

What would be cooler than having Jesus fight Hitler?

C00P

Smash Cadet
I think allah against hitler would be sweeter. They would both just sit back and chill cause they would have pursuaded millions to fight for them. It's like hard core Nazi's on suicide bombers...who will outlast the other. They could call it Super Smash Jew: Fight for Isreal.

Ps. Hitler sucks balls
Pps. Terrorists suck more balls.... yes than hitler
PPPS. Allah is cool... I jus think people should stop using him as an excuse for so much bull****.
PPPPS. There is a match... Allah Vs. Bull****.... fight for the Kuran, Bull**** for FTW so it seems:(

Raptorbite

Smash Apprentice
What I do think of is.. there is a high chance that Mii's will get in the game.
Or as a special mode or has Assist Trophie. I don't think they will be playable in the main game roster. (I hope they don't. Because that would suck.. like no other =X)
Agreed, how would they give them attacks with any flavor/uniqueness that made any sense?

It'd be like a wireframe's moveset, boring , bland and predictable.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
What if the Miis are taking the place of Wire Frames in the multi-man melees? It seems like the only reasonable logic so far.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
I think allah against hitler would be sweeter. They would both just sit back and chill cause they would have pursuaded millions to fight for them. It's like hard core Nazi's on suicide bombers...who will outlast the other. They could call it Super Smash Jew: Fight for Isreal.
That was dumb, you just associated an entire religion with terrorism.

The Qur'an does not advocate terrorism in the least bit, nor does it advocate killing or imposing Islam on others through force.

I could say that all Christians = barbarous crusaders, but hey that would just be as ignorant as your post.

DragoonFenix15

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, if AC did not have a playable character, I'm pretty sure the Leaf would be Icon 21.

"Nintendo DS" does not fit into the obvious alphabetical order that the Newcomer series icons are in. You can debate the pattern of the earlier icons all you want, but there is no doubt that the Newcomer ones are in alphabetical order, yes?

... unless this icon 21 represents "Touch! Generations", which does indeed fit after Sonic. Meaning it's not in some "4th" catagory of icons, whether that is "Nintendo Systems" or "stage-only franchises".

Well, either way, like all the other Pro-Nook or Pro-Crosser members, I am going to hope that Icons 21 and up represent series without a playable character :D

Jeebus, just when you'd think we were done speculating since we finally got tons of gameplay videos... THIS HAPPENS.

ChiefOnionSauce

Smash Cadet
It's either gonna be that no Animal Crossing Character will come of this, or Miis are gonna be playable fighters.
Hmm, I don't know if this was brought up before, buuut, in the update about Wi-Fi, in the picture that has that shows the different functions, theres one particular thats blurred out, and Sakurai says its something hes working on and he's not sure if he'll be able to pull it off. Anyways, I think he's referring to something Wii specific (it IS something with/about Wi-Fi), and the only thing Wii specific that would be in Brawl are Mii's....... maybe?

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Agreed, how would they give them attacks with any flavor/uniqueness that made any sense?

How would you give fox a moveset?
all he does is fly around in arwing, never gets any foot action.

Zek

Smash Ace
First of all, this icon couldn't possibly represent Miis. They have nothing whatsoever to do with the DS. And the fact that the Wii music is associated with Pictochat makes me think that there is no Wii franchise.

It's technically still possible that there could be a character from this though, if you associate it with the Touch Generation games. For example, the Nintendogs assist would probably be under this icon. Theoretically they could add Tetris Block or the Elite Beat Agents under this icon, but... :p More realistically I agree that this is going to be a non-character franchise, and most likely Animal Crossing will be as well.

CommanderGrit

Smash Apprentice

Sakurai could easily pull some moves from Mii based games like Wii Sports and Wii Play.

ChiefOnionSauce

Smash Cadet
Sakurai could easily pull some moves from Mii based games like Wii Sports and Wii Play.
That would be interesting... Have Mii's use a moveset that uses bowling balls, golf clubs, tennis rackets, boxing gloves, etc. Hmm, but what about a recovery... Maybe...

And I also just realized, if someone wanted to use their Mii at a tourney, but used a GC controller to play, would that take up two controller slots (one GC controller and one Wii from which the Mii is stored)?

Mari0sPooPoo

Smash Journeyman
There's no way to prove that an AC char will be in or out, so stop debating something so vague...

On the other hand, you icon theorists might be right about that, and we might just have a walking ds that uses a stylus sword with the ds icon.

lol

Shishou

Smash Apprentice
Silly people, that isn't a DS icon at all. It is G&W which will double as a DS icon.

Why, you ask?

skullkidd

Smash Ace
Hopefully an Animal Crossing character won't be playable after all, with a DS logo.
I mean, Resetti and Nook were deconfirmed, and they were the favorites.
Because, no character is going to have a DS logo, except for MAYBE GAW, which has been mentioned.

Unless...Stylus playable?!
/sarcasm.

Space_Pirate_Fox_McCloud

Smash Apprentice
As I see it, there literally isn't a character to go with this icon, any character from a game on the DS would represent the game series they come from, not the DS itself (all other characters are represented by their own franchises, excluding those ATs who fall under the Misc category that is the Smash Bros icon). Miis are a Wii element and have absolutely nothing to do with the DS, so it wouldn't make sense to give them the DS logo when they should have that of the Wii. The only reason why PictoChat has music from the Wii is because PictoChat, the program itself, has absolutely no music, and so songs from others games and franchises were selected because they would fit the stage's style. It's like the Balloon Fight song being used in the stage for Ice Climber, Balloon Fight and Ice Climber are entirely seperate, but the BF song was still used in the IC stage.

As for Animal Crossing, this doesn't confirm or deny a possible fighter. This doesn't mean anything but a stage can exist, have an icon, and still not have a character, which does make the idea of AC having items, stages, and a logo but not a fighter even more reasonable. Personally, I don't see any character plausible from AC to get in, with all of its important characters being part of the stage's background or an AT, but it's not impossible for it to get a fighter.

As for the icons, I don't see 21+ all being franchises without characters, but rather everything past 14 being new to Brawl, and can either contribute or not contribute a character despite where they land in the order.

kirby_fox

Smash Apprentice
...I'll make this post very simple (I had tried posting earlier and it just didn't work). I am not a fan of the icon theory. Simple as that. It is an unproven guess, that truthfully when looked at doesn't really make that much sense. But enough of that.

I believe this icon does in fact represent the Touch Generations series AND the DS. Why? It's simple really. The Touch Generations series has 3 logos for the 3 regions (Japan, Europe, and NA). Creating 3 different icons takes time, no? Add in the idea of DS connectivity and a need for an icon there. That's 4 different icons being created. And say, for instance, they have many different things from DS games they'd like to incorporate. A stylus as an item, items from the Touch Gen. games, and characters from the games as well. Seeing as it would take time to create 4 different icons, and most the games don't have icons for themselves, it would be easier to create an overall icon for them that is recognizable. More people probably recognize the DS icon than the Touch Gen. logo.

As for whether or not there's a playable character, I don't see why not. This could easily have been put under the Smash icon to categorize it. They put many Assist Trophies with games that could have icons (nothing for Little Mac) into the Smash icon category, and like I said before- icons take time to create and the easiest thing to do is create less for more than more for less.

pirkid

Smash Lord
...I'll make this post very simple (I had tried posting earlier and it just didn't work). I am not a fan of the icon theory. Simple as that. It is an unproven guess, that truthfully when looked at doesn't really make that much sense. But enough of that.

I believe this icon does in fact represent the Touch Generations series AND the DS. Why? It's simple really. The Touch Generations series has 3 logos for the 3 regions (Japan, Europe, and NA). Creating 3 different icons takes time, no? Add in the idea of DS connectivity and a need for an icon there. That's 4 different icons being created. And say, for instance, they have many different things from DS games they'd like to incorporate. A stylus as an item, items from the Touch Gen. games, and characters from the games as well. Seeing as it would take time to create 4 different icons, and most the games don't have icons for themselves, it would be easier to create an overall icon for them that is recognizable. More people probably recognize the DS icon than the Touch Gen. logo.

As for whether or not there's a playable character, I don't see why not. This could easily have been put under the Smash icon to categorize it. They put many Assist Trophies with games that could have icons (nothing for Little Mac) into the Smash icon category, and like I said before- icons take time to create and the easiest thing to do is create less for more than more for less.

joins the Brawl!

(That's actually Mr. D.S, T. Check the source.)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

I believe this icon does in fact represent the Touch Generations series AND the DS.
Why? It's simple really. The Touch Generations series has 3 logos for the 3 regions (Japan, Europe, and NA). Creating 3 different icons takes time, no? Add in the idea of DS connectivity and a need for an icon there. That's 4 different icons being created. And say, for instance, they have many different things from DS games they'd like to incorporate. A stylus as an item, items from the Touch Gen. games, and characters from the games as well. Seeing as it would take time to create 4 different icons, and most the games don't have icons for themselves, it would be easier to create an overall icon for them that is recognizable. More people probably recognize the DS icon than the Touch Gen. logo.

I agree on this. The icon is probably an umbrella term for the DS exclusive characters.

I also think the EBA or an EBA would be the only one to fight.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
I think Miis would be a really fun PC (with a sweet WiiSports, WiiPlay moveset)...and I get pretty psyched imagining how they could be incorporated into the SE. Think about it...with the use of Miis, pictochatting with our DS, raising Nintendogs, etc. we become a part of the same universe as our favorite videogame characters. the Ancient Minister is non-descriminatory and wants to destroy it all. Mario and Sonic need our help to defeat the Minister!! Miis FTW!

RedKnight

Smash Ace
I just don't think they will have an animal crossing character or a...whatever character in Brawl

Tha_Goverment

Smash Cadet
(from Wikipedia)
List of US Touch Generation games:
* Big Brain Academy
* Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day!
* Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes A Day!
* Clubhouse Games
* Electroplankton
* Elite Beat Agents
* Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day
* Magnetica
* Master of Illusion
* Nintendogs
* Picross DS
* Planet Puzzle League
* Sudoku Gridmaster
* Tetris DS
* True Swing Golf

Nintendo of America has extended the Touch Generations line to Wii with the following titles:

* Wii Sports
* Wii Play
* Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree

These games are the most likely to have characters imo, if the icon represents TG games. I wouldn't mind seeing Mii or Dr. Lobe as wtf characters. Even better would be the Electroplankton!
Of course, that is only based upon an assumption that there will be a character for the icon, I'm not saying there will be. Also, I would assume the Nintendog AT will be filed under this icon.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
The PictoChat stage has a DS for a symbol.
The DS was made by Miyamoto.
Miyamoto confirmed fo brawl.

...But seriously, that would be great.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
so far...any connections or interpretations of what the DS symbol stands for or represents have been somewhat loose. it may mean "Touch Generations"...but why not have the actual Touch logo? and why DS when the TG has games spanning the DS and the Wii?

my guess is that it's representative of "the gamers universe". and TG is Nintendo's new line to make the gamers universe include everybody. So, it's either a DS icon or a Wii icon. any kind of wii-mote icon may be confusing, as that's already being used for control schemes. I don't think there's a Wii icon apart from just the word "Wii".
The inclusion of "mii channel" "wii shop channel" and "Brain Age" music leads me to believe this franchise is more than just DS, or TGs, or Miis... It's all of it, and the DS icon seems to make the most sense for symbolizing our gaming experience, and the Miis seem to fit our representation as a PC quite well.

i think the DS symbol represents the general "gamers universe" because it's the current handheld. I can take it wherever I want and always be connected to my videogames or other gamers (example PictoChat)

jigedysmashmo

Smash Cadet
haha...it would be so cool if you could connect a ds to the wii for that stage, then maybe you could use the ds to draw out things on the course......that would be so cool...

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
I'm still pulling for Nook, but I know that the AC logo doesn't necessitate a character. Since Touch Generations is no longer specific to the DS (they changed the logo from the "Stylus G" to the three people of different ages holding hands,) I doubt they're using the DS logo to represent that. If they use Kawashima, then Brain Age will get its own symbol, and so forth. This is just a neat idea that isn't a part of a franchise, its a piece of utility software. So they use the logo for the hardware--that is all.

This does not hint at anything outside it. What it does do is suggest a new heading/section for the number theory. 64 first, then Melee, then Brawl, then Miscellaneous, which would encompass things other than character franchises.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
How do icons not necessitate a new character?
Look at the pattern here:
I'll start simple, since I'm sure people are slow sometimes.

ALL updates have the little icon in the upper left hand corner.

Character updates all have the icon to their respective series.
Stage updates as well, and if there is not a character, it is the Smash Brothers icon.

Items further support this pattern.
Assist trophies, especially.
Let's use Andross and Little Mac as an example.
Fox is a playable character, the Firefox icon appears in the upper left of Andross' update.
Little Mac has the Smash Brothers icon.

Not satisfied?

Look at the Pitfall, it shares the same icon as Smash Town and Mr. Resetti.

Now look at another assist trophy, which following this pattern, irrefutably confirms another character people have been wondering about: Captain Falcon.

Samurai Goroh features the falcon insignia Captain Falcon has been using for years now.

Other icons not featured in any other series that you could attribute to another, or multiple series(es), the banana peel specifically, are given a Smash Brothers icon. Items and stages without a respective series are given the same icon.

Icons are NOT small things that they just toss out. They could give a series icon to anything they wanted to, but they choose not to, because only playable characters get icons. It's been that way for a while, now. I don't see why people don't quite grasp that icon != "omg no character just stage!!1 >:|||"

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
^ Wrong. Stages have always had franchise specific icons. Always. If you're thinking of a counterexample, remember that Smash Bros. stages have the Smash icon because they're original stages and therefore come from the Smash Bros. universe.

I never thought that having a AC stage was enough to guarantee an AC character (though the idea piqued my interest at first). Could we still? Sure, but remember this: every stage select screen shows the franchise icon of a stage (64, Melee, and Brawl). Unlike ATs, every stage has always had a corresponding franchise icon--the only ones with Smash Bros. icons were Smash Bros. stages. So just with that, there's no basis to say that there must be an AC character, because the minimum requirement for having a franchise icon (based on what we've seen, which is all there is to go on) is having a stage. Again, does that mean there is no AC character? No, but it does mean there's not enough evidence to even conclude that it would be consistent with icon standards, or whatever.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Name a franchise stage without a franchise character that has a unique icon.

You'll find that hard to do.

Stages with no playable character from the franchise the stage is in have the Smash Brothers icon. Again, are there any such stages? Nope. Every stage in the Smash Brothers series ties back to either Smash Brothers itself in which case it gets the Smash Brothers icon, or a series represented by a character as well. I don't really see the point of your post, you didn't disagree with anything I said aside from saying wrong. All you did was confirm that stages have unique icons if they aren't unique to Smash Brothers.

While I'm at it, assist trophies from a series already represented by either a stage or a playable character share the same icon, see my Andross example.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
You're arguing that a franchise having an icon "irrefutably confirms" that a character will appear (in your post, you mentioned Captain Falcon). It's true that no stage has appeared without a character to go with it before (original stages excluded), but what I was saying is that isn't enough to reach your conclusion: you can't say that Captain Falcon will definitely be in the game because his icon is there; it _could_ just be a stage (or even another F-Zero character), and there's nothing we've seen to disprove that theory.

You could, like I said, point out that all stages have characters in 64 and Melee, but that still doesn't guarantee anything, since the stages-need-icons-anyway theory doesn't require that (even though it's still valid from everything we've seen). You're right: it's hard to name a franchise stage with a unique icon and no franchise character, because there haven't been any franchise stages without franchise characters to begin with (though original stages, of course, do have the appropriate icon). The question is whether a stage is enough to merit an icon of its own; based on Stage Select screens, where (unlike items) you always saw an icon, I would say yes. (The Dojo uses icons for a lot of things that don't show up in the game; items have never had icons, for example, so there's no reason they'd be made up just for the Dojo if they didn't also go into the game.)

If you don't actually disagree with this, I'm sorry for mistaking your position. But saying "Items and stages without a respective series are given the" smash icon is a bit disingenuous, if you mean that any item or stage without a character of the same series gets the Smash icon. This may be the case for items and ATs, but it's never happened before for a stage that wasn't original to Smash Bros. (and even then, those, of course, had the appropriate icon).

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
The point about stages having the smash icon is moot, because as we both agree as shown by facts, stages NOT unique to Smash Brothers that come from existing franchises have their franchise icon and appropriate character(s). If you've misunderstood and thought I meant stages that appear from franchises other than Smash Brothers that don't have a character, that's not what I meant. On that topic I simply think they'd omit the stage. On to items.

Assist trophies aren't the only items with icons, as I talked about the Banana Peel. The Franklin Badge more or less confirmed the inclusion of a MOTHER character given its icon, and now we have Lucas and New Pork City, which is a fairly strong support of the pattern. If a franchise item has an icon, you can assume with great accuracy it's going to be paired with a stage or a character, eventually both.

Now, the point on Captain Falcon. If he's not in and it were just a stage or an item, you know my stance on stages and I think that as a franchise stage with no representative character it would be omitted, and if only represented ala item, it would be the Smash Brothers icon as Little Mac is for the Punch Out! franchise and other characters with their respective franchises. So far, nothing with an icon has been denied a stage. So far, stages have been ambiguous about their character inclusion, but with the pattern present it's hard to say for sure.

Again, keep in mind there's never been a stage without a character that wasn't a stage unique to Smash.

Perhaps irrefutable was too strong, but it's still very very likely that they won't break the trend.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
What if the Miis are taking the place of Wire Frames in the multi-man melees? It seems like the only reasonable logic so far.
Of course. That's way more sensible than bringing back wireframes or making up a new enemy. Nah, Mii's are total shoe-ins now.

mushroomedmario

Smash Cadet
guys i think you are dismissing the touch generations theory to early

a) it fits into the alphabetical icon theory
b) the icon, you guys say the icon is something else BUT touch generations have different icons for NA, Europe and Japan(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_generations)

so what icon COULD represent touch generations

....the only one i could think of is the ds icon,

Top Bottom