• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oh no, a PictoChat icon! Let the debate begin!

Brawligator

Smash Cadet
Oh gosh, it looks like it's the "Animal Crossing debate" part 2. In today's update for the PictoChat stage, check out the top corner.... a DS icon. Does this mean a character represting PictoChat or the Nintendo DS? Or is it just an icon resembling the system, similar to how many argue the leaf simply represents the Animal Crossing series, and doesn't necessarily mean a new character. I personally don't see how a playable character can spawn out of PictoChat, but hey... I was surprised by Mr. Game & Watch, so I'm not ruling anything out. Also, I can't think of any character specifically associated with the.... OMG wait. Aha, Dr. Lobe from Big Brain Academy. Just a thought. I'm also thinking that perhaps the con represents DS' "Touch Generations" line of games.

What are your thoughts?

Zeela12

Smash Ace
lol I thought the same when I saw it, here's some possibilities:

1. No Animal Crossing char after all
2. ZOMG MII CONFIRMED!
3. more series coming up

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
It's a DS icon, not a Picto-Chat icon.

I really don't think this means anything much for us. What IS interesting to me is the Wii Shop Channel music, etc.

Does this mean we could have a stage shaped like a Wii in a future update? LOL

Little Red Corvette

Smash Apprentice
This pretty much means to me no animal crossing character - though after this stage update, I'm ready to believe anything about brawl.

EDIT: I would like to note this icon incorporates Brain Age, Wii, and DS - easily allowing a Mii or Dr. Kawashima/Lobe character.

dragoncrescent

Smash Rookie
I sort of think it's Mr Game & Watch's new logo. His previous one was kind of bland.

Remember that his world is that of the old Game and Watch Galleries. These single-game devices were the inspiration for the design of the DS, so it only makes sense this would be a new logo.

Kamaka

Smash Cadet
perhaps game and watch will be replaced by a stick figure-like man who morphs into cool shapes and whatnot for special attacks.

keko_keko

Smash Cadet
I think it would be kinda strange to have a mii or G&W or anybody use that single. The number qualifier for the logo is 21, which comes after all logos so far, sonic last at 20. So maybe everything beyond 20 is for series represented without playable characters?

C00P

Smash Cadet
I better see a Mii as a playable character. Think about it. You and your friends can kick each others azzes like brawl should be. Mii FTW!

Masterem243

Smash Lord
It's either gonna be that no Animal Crossing Character will come of this, or Miis are gonna be playable fighters.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I sort of think it's Mr Game & Watch's new logo. His previous one was kind of bland.

Remember that his world is that of the old Game and Watch Galleries. These single-game devices were the inspiration for the design of the DS, so it only makes sense this would be a new logo.
Why would the most retro of characters get the DS icon? The Alarm icon is GAW incarnate.

I just think it's proof to what I've been saying, that the Icons are only there for important series, doesn't mean that there's a character attached to the icon.

Unless people seriously think something like "Mr DS" is going to join the fray >.>

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
Heh as soon as I saw that icon I thought this debate would resurface. Like already said it'll only mean a few things...

-Icon doesn't mean a character, therefore no Animal Crosser OR
-Some sort of strange "DS" Combatant (please no >.>) or Dr. Lobe/Kawashima :psycho:

I really don't think this reflects on Miis though like some have mentioned. Considering it's a DS logo and not a generalised Nintendo logo or a Wii logo, I just wouldn't see it fitting. Then again I'm not a fan of having Mii playable either >.>

Kelp Plankton

Smash Apprentice
Obviously what this means is that Smash Bros DS has been confirmed and will have connectivity with Brawl, allowing you to port created stages and characters from the DS version to the Wii. Of course. No doubt. Induibitably. Mmmyees.

More seriously, though, anyone who's telling themselves that there's going to be a character based on the DS system itself is trying to delude themselves pretty **** heavily at this point. Not all icons mean characters. This isn't a first for Smash Bros, but it is the first time we've seen it happen for multiple levels that have a franchise of sorts they're representing.

What this gives more credit to is the people who have been making insane suggestions; Pokemon Trainer, Pictochat and Warioware stages, the ability to arrange trophies and take pictures of them in different settings, these are all very strange ideas that, while they don't go against the feel of the game and arguably enhance it, very few saw them coming.

Other extremely eccentric suggestions and ideas are more feasable now.

After all. Sakurai just out-MOJO'd the Smash MOJO on the real DOJO site.

That takes some pretty impressive doing.

Silfa

Smash Ace
[some] Touch! Generation games:

Planet Puzzle League
Sudoku Gridmaster
Tetris DS
True Swing Golf

Tetris block confirmed!

>_>;

Evolver

Smash Cadet
I think it will be :

1-17 first/second party lineup
18-20 3rd party lineup
21+ Series without a Character

I think that is the only logical solution, but who knoes (besides Sakurai) everything is possible.

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
You guys are idiots. Its a DS icon not a pictochat Icon. Derrr. This just means that more DS things are coming.....Wii to DS interaction being one of them.
duh

This does not hurt AC in anyway.

Look at what emblem number the DS is. Its 21.

The AC emblem is in the newcomers section of emblems.

Sorry, try again.

keko_keko

Smash Cadet
I think it will be :

1-17 first/second party lineup
18-20 3rd party lineup

I think that is the only logical solution, but who knoes (besides Sakurai) everything is possible.
slight alteration to that i think it should be
1-14 Veteran Series
15-20 Newcomer Series

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
Hah! I don't care if it's DS-related, I say Mii's CONFIRMED! I hope so, so I can rub it in the faces of the nonbelievers :D

Aurion

Smash Rookie
it doesn't have to mean anything i mean a Mr.DS would be funny but not really a realistic idea and a Mii is ridiculous oke it would be funny but it doesn't connect to the DS in what so ever public project only a closed project Nintendo named after it was canceled and the icon theory seems pretty valid but Japanese people don't like logic it's common sense :p

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Why would the most retro of characters get the DS icon? The Alarm icon is GAW incarnate.

I just think it's proof to what I've been saying, that the Icons are only there for important series, doesn't mean that there's a character attached to the icon.

Unless people seriously think something like "Mr DS" is going to join the fray >.>

Hey, at this point, you never know.... :-p

No seriously though, I agree.

altir

Smash Apprentice
somebody said somtin about a ds stage. it could happen.a thing like it has been done in mario kart atleast twice

gregthepirate

Smash Apprentice
I'm a firm believer that all icon's aside from they smash icon represent Playables. Plus, they NEVER make stages that aren't for a playable character...aside from battlefield and final destination...
And I could see someone saying the DS icon is too obscure to represent a deserving character, but as far as the animal crossing icon...they have a stage, and icon, and an item, and music. Who really thinks they won't have a PC?

EDIT: I'm a bad speller.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
I personally think that we should just not think about it that much, and then wait to see what happens.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm a firm believer that all icon's aside from the smash icon represent Playables. Plus, the NEVER make stages that aren't for a playable character
No. Not they 'never' did, they just didn't. And even then, that was MELEE. This is BRAWL. I would have thought that this would have made it pretty **** obvious that you can have a stage without needing a specific character to call it home.

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually going for Stylus as a usable item. works and swings like a beam sword, except it does no damage, and it draws a temproary line (lasts for about 10 seconds) which can block attacks. it's completely solid so characters can't pass through it. it would be the ultimate weapon for blocking edges and creating massive KOs (if you search Animator versus Animation, you'll see it after the stick figure grabs the pen. ) the pen would run out of ink after five swipe/pen strokes

imagine a match between Fox and Samus. no melee, pens only set on very high. it would be a funny shoot out match :)

RobinotX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobinotX
I think there will be NO AC character or character that has the DS icon for it.

I mean, you can also have it for Assist Trophies *points finger at Mr. Resetti*
There is a possibility that the DS icons resembles Touch Generation Assist Trophies. (Brain Training, Nintendogs etc.)

What I do think of is.. there is a high chance that Mii's will get in the game.
Or as a special mode or has Assist Trophie. I don't think they will be playable in the main game roster. (I hope they don't. Because that would suck.. like no other =X)

Top Bottom