• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Oh don't you understand, I already have a main...

Twilord

Smash Ace
... I am waiting for my Kirby to begin."

So guys with the demo out and a limited choice I have to imagine a few of us are getting very skilled with characters we had no intention to 'main'. Ultimately I will gravitate towards Kirby (have since N64, regardless of how bad they made him). However I'm surprising myself by finding a 'new main' in the demo. - I never played a main-series Megaman game before his reveal (they're great), but he feels somehow natural to me, and I am playing my best with him out of all the options.

Who are you surprising yourself by maining in the demo?

Devin879

Smash Rookie
Similarly, I found myself maining Mega Man, when I originally planned to hold out until the full release to main Robin or Shulk. After a couple of plays, I found Mega Man to be quite easy, and when playing with friends, found his range to be really nice for snatching kills, and making sure I wouldn't take to much damage. I'd say he definitely isn't the best character in the demo, seeing as how Link, Villager, and Mario all have ways to either block his ranged moves, or send them back at him, but he's still fun to play.

Definitely looking forward to the full release. I'll likely still move towards Robin or Shulk at some point, along with seeing how Diddy Kong plays in this installment, since I mained him on Brawl and Project M, but knowing that I'm a decent Mega Man is nice, since I'm a fan of his move-set.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I defaulted to Link and Mario, but I found myself really enjoying Villager. So many fun little tidbits in gameplay and some nice comboability as well. It's really easy to get creative with him.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
The characters I'm currently maining is Mario with Megaman as a secondary.

Gwoop

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gwoopington
3DS FC
5455-9855-7285
I was intending to main Luigi and Wario but I've just gotten so comfortable playing as Villager. He's powerful and just plain fun.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I didn't think Villager would be as much of a Glass Cannon as he is. Me likey.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm playing as Link the most but I have no intention of maining the demo five.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Despite being a huge Animal Crossing fan, I never had any intention as playing as Villager. He seemed way too gimmicky for me, but now that I've gotten to try him, I'm putting him up there with Kirby and Robin as my top 3 mains for the new game. He's a blast to play.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Im liking the newcomers, especially Villager. Thankfully, my main train Mario is in this demo, so I dont worry too much.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I was planning on maining Megaman, but if anything, the Demo has taught me that his attacks are 80% reflect/pocketable, and that will make him very easy for certain characters to destroy. Thus, he may actually be OFF my list after my 10+ hours playing him in the demo.

joetherocker

Smash Apprentice
The only character in the demo that I never intended to use at all was Pikachu, but I actually really like him now after playing as him in the demo for a while. I was also surprised by just how much I like Villager, and she's been moved up to main status after destroying my friends with her in the demo.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Villager definitely made me rethink my planned mains for the game, I love how weird her play style is and the cute Animal Crossing sounds only make her better. The new Link is also quite fun. Mario is okay and Pikachu...I don't know what happened, but I disliked playing Pikachu for the first time. I should play him a bit more, but he doesn't "feel" right for some reason.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I was never going to main :4megaman: or:4link:, but I'm considering adding both of them to my rotation. :4megaman: will for sure be in now.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I think it's almost the opposite for me. I planned to main Pikachu from the get go...but there is something a little weird about him I must admit. I'll probably still use him lots though. And I also don't have much fun playing as Villager as other people.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
I usually have Link as a pocket low tier, so its nice to see his buffs. I do great with him now having a solid dash option as a follow up, the Dair spike, and the range stuff. Opposite, I played a lot of Pika in Melee this past year and he just doesn't feel right in the demo. Going to have to get used to him

Greninja

Smash Cadet
I think mario can be top tier but I like pikachu's fast playstyle in the demo

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
I used to go Samus/Link main in Melee, so by default I've basically been gravitating to Link at the moment.
That being said, Mario is pretty damn good. I used to play Pikachu, too, but he's just too annoying when I fight against him now, so I feel scummy if I play as him now. :p

Doesn't matter in the end, though. I'm still going to be focused on :4zelda:, :4zss: and :4lucina: as mains. I can feel it.

Last edited:

「 Derk 」

4th times the charm...
NNID
D3RK-SSB4
Switch FC
SW-6389-5985-3965
I am enjoying the new Link so far in the demo. He is quicker and his recovery is so much better. A lot of his moves string together also. Doubt I will main him but he is really fun to play so I could see myself having a pocket Link for sure. Smash 4 has done a great job of making all the characters have a unique feel to them that keeps you coming back for more. Funny enough I had no interest in the demo since Zelda was not playable but now I am addicted haha. The 3d effect is amazing also. Not many games that I keep the 3d effect on full time but this game looks great with it on.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
... I am waiting for my Kirby to begin."

So guys with the demo out and a limited choice I have to imagine a few of us are getting very skilled with characters we had no intention to 'main'. Ultimately I will gravitate towards Kirby (have since N64, regardless of how bad they made him). However I'm surprising myself by finding a 'new main' in the demo. - I never played a main-series Megaman game before his reveal (they're great), but he feels somehow natural to me, and I am playing my best with him out of all the options.

Who are you surprising yourself by maining in the demo?
I'm really shocked that Kirby isn't in the demo considering you know it's a Sakurai game.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I'm pretty good with Villager, but I had no surprise in that- I was looking forward to him. But I was surprised with Pikachu. I've been playing well with him too even though I didn't used to pay him much mind.

Twilord

Smash Ace
I'm really shocked that Kirby isn't in the demo considering you know it's a Sakurai game.
I can only hope its because Sakurai slyly integrated him with hidden super-power that he doesn't want leaking.

A flying character should definitely have been in.

Last edited:

Contact

Smash Rookie
I don't have a DS, so it appears I'm still a pretty long way off from this game, but I'm currently looking at Pac Man, Palutena
, and Duck Hunt Dog as new potential mains. Otherwise, I can always go back to Zelda, PIkachu, G&W, or Olimar... I used them extensively in Brawl.

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
I'm surprised by how well I'm doing with Mario in the demo. Fitting, considering I've recently been rediscovering my Mario fanboy roots.

I still want to main Palutena, but I think I'll give making Doc a secondary the old college try (I don't like FLUDD, hence Doc over regular.)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Definitely wasn't planning on using Megaman that much, but he's the only character I'm really looking forward to in the demo. My bet is that he'll be the only character I'll play in the demo when it hits.

Life

Smash Hero
A lot of people said they thought Mega Man was bad in Smash 4 (especially demo players) and when I saw those people play Mega I thought to myself "they're doing it wrong" so I'm probably going to main Mega until I get the full game.

From there, who knows?

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Despite playing Villager at the Best Buy demo, I'm surprised by his moves now. Sure the builds differed but I'm having a blast playing him. Even better is the tree, which is fun to use anywhere on stage and not just as an edge guard move! Only downside is that most of his moves only hurt one opponent at a time so its hard to get multiple enemies off your back.

As for Megaman, I was afraid to use him considering his lack of combo options and being too slow but after playing him, it was all in my head. I might not play as him as much when the full game comes out but I'll enjoy using him until then.
Dat Buster Hit box! HNNNG!

I've never played Link but he's definitely improved from past iterations. Grappling hook is faster, his recovery has more vertical range, arrows and bombs are faster and shield is more than for decoration this time around! Overall, he feels solid but I won't be maining him.

Never played Pikachu as well and his Thunder Spike is amazing! It feels just like Ness' spike from N64; instantaneous and devastating if used on edges. I also think the hit-boxes on some of his moves are bigger than previous incarnations? Overall hes okay but I'll be passing on him like Link.

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
A lot of people said they thought Mega Man was bad in Smash 4 (especially demo players) and when I saw those people play Mega I thought to myself "they're doing it wrong" so I'm probably going to main Mega until I get the full game.

From there, who knows?
I feel the same way about Wii Fit Trainer, everyone was hating when she first showed up, so I decided to take her under my wing as a Newcomer Main

Life

Smash Hero
I feel the same way about Wii Fit Trainer, everyone was hating when she first showed up, so I decided to take her under my wing as a Newcomer Main
When WFT was announced, I told my friend I was gonna main the character that would troll him the hardest, which is probably Dark Pit now.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Dr.Mario and Dark Pit nuff said.
Bro your sig is killing me, what's the name of the clip with the kid getting knocked in the pool.

On topic, I'm planning to main Villager, but I'll give all the fighters a try so I can at least be competent with them.

shapular

Smash Ace
On the contrary, I was planning on maining Villager for a while (until Palutena was revealed) but I'm not really enjoying him in the demo.

Top Bottom