• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Yoshi discussion!!!

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
ACTUALLY: Everyone's airdodge goes the same length except Peach, Zelda and Bowser.

Check it.

Whoever said Yoshi has "one of the best airdodges in the game" is a moron.

El Cid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2277-7962-6585
More on Neutral B

DokturSea said:
I use it. You suck 'em up, poop em out, short hop, and Bair. Wonderful combo..
Ah but wouldn't it be more satisfying to just breathe fire on'm? And besides, he could use it as a recovery move to thrust himself upward using fire. Now isn't that a good idea?

DokturSea

Smash Lord
SSJ4Kazuki said:
Super Mario Bros. 4 and Super Mario 64 DS.
=O No wai. So cool.
El Cid: Yeah, good luck campaigning to change the neutral B. It won't be. Plus, if it was fire, he's be too much like Bowser.
D1 and guy who called me a moron: I've heard in many places that Yoshi has a really good airdodge, but I could be wrong. But hey, I made a mistake, so let's call me a moron. That makes you soooo cool.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I'd say whay he really needs is to be able to jump out of his shield and a faster grab, and to whoever said to have him breathe fire as his b move, that is a craptacular idea, even if it's not to good, it's his signature move, having him breathe fire instead of that is just stupid. His airdodge being as long as Peach or Zelda's would be nice, but I doubt it.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Yoshi needs a slightly longer grab too, actually. Yeah. Because his Down Throw kicks too much to never use it, y'know? Grabbing onto ledges wouldn't be bad either, but.. eh. I can deal without that.

One feature I would LOVE to see, speaking of Yoshi breathing fire: being able to eat shells. He could spit them if they're Green just as if he threw them, and spit fireballs if they're Red. It would add a bit more originality to his gameplay, and another use for his B move that I know I rarely get to use.

On a related note... Kirby should be able to swallow food with his B :p

DokturSea

Smash Lord
frogfusious said:
The only thing I dislike about Yoshi is that you can't short hop his second jump.
Well duh. Considering his second jump is pretty much his third jump. But he becomes both heavier and invincible (in the sense of he can't be knocked around) when he uses it, so really there's not much to complain about.

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
Yoshi needs to be like he was in Smash 64: a super-crazy powerhouse with tons of invincibility that requires the mastery of weird techniques to be very useful with.

Man, 64 Yoshi was the über-shaznat.

Crazy Ace 01

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's recovery doesn;t need to change; you can DJC through tons of edgeguards and punish. His side-B is lame though; Improve the side-B!

Yoshi's grab should have the same lag, but have a more effectiveness. In SSBM, when the tongue stops moving foward, the grab ends. Does the tongue suddenly lose it's stickiness when it stops moving? I've always found that annoying because unless you time it very well, you can actually grab through a character. Unless it's a disjointed hitbox, if you touch the tongue, you should get swallowed. Period. No other character has that lame weakness, except for link, but he has a hookshot, not a tongue. Tongues FTW.

Still, his grab is strong already. I love to see the look on my opponents faces when they come flying at me and I just grab them in. Their big, damaging attack simply ends and i get to chew them :)

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Yoshi needs to be like he was in Smash 64: a super-crazy powerhouse with tons of invincibility that requires the mastery of weird techniques to be very useful with.

Man, 64 Yoshi was the über-shaznat.
I agree, all Yoshi needs to be good is be like his 64 self.

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
All the characters seemed so much floatier yet heavier in SSB64.

The spikes didn't have any starting lag. I was disappointed with Yoshi and DK's fairs in Melee.

Mega Bulk

Smash Rookie
I posted this in a seperate thread and got told off so I'm posting it here.

Ok, I DID NOT come up with this idea, Lishus13 at SPPf came up with it. However, that's a Pokemon site so I was just curiouse how pure Smash fans woudl react to it.

Here what he posted (with a small edit by me to make it "better".

Lichus13 @ SPPf said:
My Yoshi Rider Theory

With the addition of the new Yoshi Island DS Stage, obviously inspired by Yoshi's two different adolescent-taxi adventures (Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Island DS), I have created this theory. Though it has never happened before in the past, I would like to suggest the possibility of the color change option to change the strength of Yoshi!

Now, we can confirm the color changes to be in the game, because we saw White and Black Kirby fighting on the Mario Kart stage in the middle of the end of the new trailer. So, with this, Yoshi sparked my idea.

In the new Yoshi's Island DS game slated for release in November in the U.S., multiple figures from the hit game sereies have been baby-fied. Now, instead of just Mario and Luigi (though Luigi never made a playable role, he was the one baby who Kamek didn't drop) we have Baby Peach, Baby Wario, Baby DK, and Baby Bowser.

Now suppose the new babies made a star appearence in this Super Smash Bros.? IMO, I wouldn't want them to be single characters in themselves. So, I accompanied them with a Yoshi! With the color-changer, not only the hue of a Yoshi changes, but the Baby it carries changes as well!

Here's the low-down on Baby-to-Dinosaur Ratio:

Green Yoshi: Baby Mario
Red Yoshi: Baby Luigi
Pink Yoshi: Baby Peach
Yellow Yoshi: Baby Wario
Blue Yoshi: Baby Donkey Kong
Black Yoshi: Baby Bowser

Now, with these babies comes special powers. I suggest in this generation, Yoshi ditch his Egg Throw for the sole purpose that it isn't really his most-used, best, most popular, or coolest move. With that gone, it leaves an open Up-B Special Move. Here is where the Babies come in, depending of your baby, you gain that special move.

See here:

Baby Mario: Mario throws a hammer upwards which peeks and then decends, similar to Egg Throw
Baby Luigi: Luigi throws a Green Shell which fires diagonally across the screen, not decending.
Baby Wario: Wario uses his magnet as a bomerang and hits foes twice with it.
Baby Peach: Yoshi grabs hold of Peach scared whilst she uses her parasol to float calmy back to the stage.
Baby DK: Throws a Barrel with force that doesn't travel far upwards but decends fast and is powerful.
Baby Bowser: Smacks Yoshi's bottom to make him bounce slightly higher and then breath fire. The longer B is held, the smaller the flames get.
So, what do you think? Remember, the main idea is not mine and I don't claim any ownership over it.

Dokuro

Smash Ace
SBB64 Yoshi was the best, his model is also the only good 3-D Yoshi model, besides the Melee one. [the others look horrible, ugh.]

Anyways, I think that Yoshi should be the same as in Melee.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: All they need to do is fix his effing grabs and un-gimp his neutral air.

Oh and yes...he also needs to jump out of shield. Done.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
The baby/yoshi idea is possible considering they have yet to show yoshi, but have shown the yoshis island stage.

Now on the color/ baby descision it should be the same as it is on the game case.

Green-Mario
Pink-Peach
Red-DK
Light blue-Wario
Yellow- bowser

Now for luigi there are other yoshi colors
Dark blue
Black
White
Bronze
Purple

Although I like the idea I don't think its going to happen, and if they do they need to have a yoshi without a baby. And if they do put that in they need to make it an unlockable, and not just have it at the start.

marthsword

Smash Ace
eggs = hover if done in the air

side b = not egg roll, one of the worst moves i the game

that's really all that needs to be changed.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Yeah, Smash wouldn't be the same without that punching bag Yoshi. I mean who else would I take my frustrations on after a long day a work.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
I only don't pick Yoshi because my brother Alphonso (my all time greatest rival) picks him a lot. Of course, I mop the floor with his mess every time he picks him ya know what I'm sayin; then when he wants to get serious, he picks Marth in his white outfit, & then the real battle begins....

So please, don't bust my chops for not pickin Yoshi. In my opinion, he's just a pinyata & candy comes out whenever I give him a good thrashin

yoshinator331

Smash Cadet
Yoshi isn't bad in melee, he's just not as good as he was in 64. And even so, he's not that much worse than his smash64 self. To me, only 3 things need to be changed about yoshi:

1: less start up time for fair
2: 5% more damage for ALL smashes
3:needs to be able to grab the edge of the stage with his tounge

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
yoshinator331 said:
1: less start up time for fair
2: 5% more damage for ALL smashes
3:needs to be able to grab the edge of the stage with his tounge
1: The fair start up is fine as it is, it feels great when timed right.
2: 5% more damage... Isn't that a bit MUCH? Though it wouldn't break the game.
3: No.

My improvement, is that when he throws an egg, he should float in the air and hover a little
in the direction that you hold while doing the move, sorta like an airdodge, without the invincibility. It'd definitely add a little cheese to his game, especially if he can grab a ledge while throwing the egg. I also thing that when a throwing item (bobomb, poke ball, freezie)
is held, it should be thrown as his upB. It has great throwing freedom. It shouldn't throw
clubbing weapons (Beam sword, bat, ray gun) though, otherwise that would suck.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Yoshi needs another oddball move. His toward B should be changed. An idea is that when you press toward B, Yoshi flutters his arms at his side frantically as if they were wings, while his shoes waved back and forth. Part of his tongue could poke out of his mouth signaling a struggle. After toward B is pressed you can navigate Yoshi for a limited time horizantally or downward, but not upward. No damage is done by the attack. Its only purpose would be for air control (you can attack during the move, but then the move would cancel) and horizantal recovery after his large leap. But toward B would act like a third jump. Yoshi would fall afterwards. The distance should be fairly short, about twice as long as Jiggly's hovering punch. But Yoshi would have more control with the direction. He can go backwards, forwards and downwards at angles.

yoshinator331

Smash Cadet
1: The fair start up is fine as it is, it feels great when timed right.
2: 5% more damage... Isn't that a bit MUCH? Though it wouldn't break the game.
3: No.

My improvement, is that when he throws an egg, he should float in the air and hover a little
in the direction that you hold while doing the move, sorta like an airdodge, without the invincibility. It'd definitely add a little cheese to his game, especially if he can grab a ledge while throwing the egg. I also thing that when a throwing item (bobomb, poke ball, freezie)
is held, it should be thrown as his upB. It has great throwing freedom. It shouldn't throw
clubbing weapons (Beam sword, bat, ray gun) though, otherwise that would suck.
I guess your right.....

knucklesfanatic

Smash Rookie
he is right, yoshis priority is almost broken, plus he almost cant be shine spiked :laugh:
It's bad enough yoshi doesn't really have a advantage against most of the charecters in super smash bros just like fox uses the shine spike. Luigi has his power uppercut attack and captain falcon/donkey kong has their chain throws i think you needs to have some fair advantages as possible for example the egg swallowing move and his spike is more powerful than you think and trust me i know i play him in ssb on unit x.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I think Yoshi should be able to grab and throw eggs like an item, the same way Peach can grab turnips and the Links can grab bombs. :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah but his down B is a classic move, which I don't want to get replaced. Why don't they give Yoshi multiple jumps like Jiggs and Kirby? He also does them in Yoshi's Island DS so why not in Brawl?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Yoshi does not require many changes. I like how the dinosaur has different takes on mechanics, such as an invulnerable super jump and a stronger shield that restricts his jumping. This trend should continue giving him a different, unique version of crawling.

I think his Smash power should increase and that his Ariel flutter kicks should put on more damage if landed properly like in the first Smash game.

Florida

イーグランツ
His second jump makes up for his lack of a third. It has godly height, and an incredible amount of weight added to it. The eggs are also helpful, they can pop the enemy into the air, to lead to more combos, and they can also be used as a decent edgegaurd for some characters; Samus, Jigglypuff, etc.

The only thing I really see wrong with Yoshi, is that the egg's color doesn't adapt to the color of the Yoshi. That is an absolutely needed change! :)
And Yoshi ***** against fast fallers.

Florida

イーグランツ
This thread is very slow and inactive >.<
No matter, I've got suggestion on how to improve Yoshi for Brawl.

That's right, the many-time suggested Yoshi + Baby Mario duo combonation! Which, I personally think would be an awesome idea. So awesome, infact, that I've decided to make a detailed post and moveset for the pair! By the way, this would replace the character Yoshi, but please move on before replying to what I just said.

First of all, let's talk about colors. In Melee we've had the following:

• Green
  • Dark Blue
  • Red
  • Pink
  • Yellow
  • Light Blue
Yoshi has the most variety of colors as a character in Melee, and he's an awesome character to boot! Now, with the Baby Mario + Yoshi duo, here's some colors that I've had in mind, and that I think would be just totally awesome:

• Green + Baby Mario
  • Red + Baby Donkey Kong
  • Pink + Baby Peach
  • Yellow + Baby Bowser
  • Light Blue + Baby Wario
Yeah, one color was taken away, but it was only so that it could fit with what I have in mind. With the moveset, all of Yoshi's A moves would stay the same. With the babies included, the Smash B move is the only thing that would change.

Taunt: I wanted to get this out of the way first, because it's would be sort of important. If you don't want to babies on your back, all that you have to do is use the taunt button and the baby will start floating into the air in it's bubble. When this happens, all of Yoshi's moves revert back to what they were in Melee (or in Brawl, if they get changed at all). If you want the baby back on your back, you just jump into the air and pop the bubble (the Yoshi's eggs would be awesome for this, since that's how you get them back in the game). Also, the baby will float around in it's bubble for no longer than 10 seconds, if you don't pop it by then, then it floats away. You will not be able to play with the baby until you are K.O.'d when this happens.

Up-B w/ Babies: Also, if there is a baby riding on your back, then Yoshi will have an Up-B! (that means, you cannot use eggs when the baby is on your back). The Up-B is the baby begins to float up in it's bubble, and Yoshi uses a third jump to catch up to it and pop it. Now, let's say you're trying to recover with this move. If the opponent hits the baby's bubble, then it pops and the baby starts to fall down. That reduces the height of Yoshi's third jump, for as soon as he touches the baby, he stops gaining height (and there's a limit to how high he would jump if the bubble isn't popped as well).

Smash B w/ Baby Mario: Baby Mario takes off his hat and throws it in front of him, it goes a short range before dropping to the ground. If you walk over the hat, then it suddenly appears back on Mario's head, and you can repeat the process.

Smash B w/ Baby Peach: This baby is really only useful for defensive purpouses (getting back to the battle ground safely). When in the air, she pulls out her umbrella and hangs on to it with one arm, while the other arm is hanging onto Yoshi. This makes Yoshi more floaty, and can return to the main stage easily. This creates no damage for the opponent.

Smash B w/ Baby Donkey Kong: Seeing that Super Smash Bros. Brawl released a new item, the Banana Peel, I think it'd be an awesome idea if Donkey Kong could throw this item onto the stage. That's right, items in a tournament! There can only be one banana peel on the stage at a time though, to balance the attack.

Smash B w/ Baby Wario: Wario pulls out the magnet that he uses in Yoshi's Island two, and if it's within the range of your opponent, it lures them in and keeps them steady for a short amount of time. Probably long enough to perform one attack. And yes, I know, "magnents attrack metal, stupid!". It doesn't really have to make sense, does it? :p

Smash B w/ Baby Bowser: What do you guys think? Baby Bowser shoots his flames in front of him, and it goes a long distance before avaportating. These flames are the old school type, that actually look like fire balls. Now that's what I'm talking about! What else did you expect for Baby Bowser's Smash B? :p

Additional Information: When Yoshi is currently carrying a baby, and gets combo'd with a series of 3 or more attacks, then the baby starts to float up into the sky with it's bubble. I'm just trying to make this as realistic as the game, but also as awesome as possible!

So, that's what I've got in mind.
Please comment and critique, share and discuss, etcetera.

Michael Blaine

Smash Apprentice
Let him jump out of his shield.
Replace egg roll with egg throw and give him an up B recovery.
Fix his dash grab so you don't have to be surgically precise to pull it off. Speed up his grabs in general and change the throws.

The rest I don't care what they do.

Top Bottom