• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Wario Stage discussion thread! Week4: Yoshi's Island

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
BF is good for Wario but it can also be suffocating at times. I much prefer SV to BF but that's just my personal preference.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I personally love both. Every time it comes down to either sv or BF while striking i just click random..

Padô

Smash Lord
This is stage is not that good as people talk for Wario, it really depends on what you facing there. I HATE playing character which can camp under the platforms or build up a better sharking then you do, like Olimar which can do both, Marth, MK maybe G&W. Ike/ROB can also camp really well below the platforms with Jab, Gyro, Lasers, Tilts

Those are the best stages against fat characters, biteable characters and the ones which depend too much from ground control and DO NOT have a good air control, like Diddy Kong, Snake and DDD those are the most obvious ones, I like to take there Pikachus also and sometimes I take Falcos there and camped at the highest platform A LOT, like 5 minutes in the game were spent there (that's what he gets for being and *******).

If you plan do play with the bike here, don't expect this stage to be the best with Bikes/Tires maneuvering, SV, Final and Pokemon Stadium are FAR WAY better. The only things that tires will favour you here is to MAYBE take people out of the "below platform camping" and for an additional platform pressure.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Camping Falco on BF is great, but keep in mind that approaching the ****er when HE is the one with a lead (and camping below a platform) is rather terrible for us.

He racks damage easier, so I wager he'll profit from it more often than we do.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
This is stage is not that good as people talk for Wario, it really depends on what you facing there. I HATE playing character which can camp under the platforms or build up a better sharking then you do, like Olimar which can do both, Marth, MK maybe G&W. Ike/ROB can also camp really well below the platforms with Jab, Gyro, Lasers, Tilts

Those are the best stages against fat characters, biteable characters and the ones which depend too much from ground control and DO NOT have a good air control, like Diddy Kong, Snake and DDD those are the most obvious ones, I like to take there Pikachus also and sometimes I take Falcos there and camped at the highest platform A LOT, like 5 minutes in the game were spent there (that's what he gets for being and *******).

If you plan do play with the bike here, don't expect this stage to be the best with Bikes/Tires maneuvering, SV, Final and Pokemon Stadium are FAR WAY better. The only things that tires will favour you here is to MAYBE take people out of the "below platform camping" and for an additional platform pressure.
I was playing someone and they were just doing that I just decided to camp from the start eventually someones going to approach however I'm not going rush and get railed why they're camping.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
BF is a bit of a mixed bag I think... if Wario gets the percentage lead or stock lead against any ground-based character, he can EASILY camp the other person out.
The way I play this stage is with an aggressive camp on the platforms, if I see an opening, I take it and rack as much damage as I can, then I go back on the platforms. I almost never actually touch the stage. by doing this, I am able to bring the entire fight above the stage. the only characters that would still beat a Wario that is camping on top of BF are probably Olimar and MK. forget the bike, forget tires, you dont need any of that on this stage and they dont work very well on BF anyway, just use the bike for an extra jump then mindgame your second jump to bait out a uair and punish with fastfalled dair. keep in mind that if you hang around the top platform, your opponent can no longer "safely" pressure you while camping. if they move underneath the middle platform, we can easily weave in with a dair, nair or fair as there would be enough room there. if they dont come to the middle, then they can touch us. just remember to keep mobile at all times and dont bother with bike shenanigans except maybe for edgeguards.

This stage is good for Wario, if you can commit to your camp, you can control the pace of the game, keep your percentage lead and your opponent, guaranteed they are human, will make mistakes.

I recommend testing this out with a CPU on Battlefield to see how much damage you can get on without taking any significant damage and always maintaining the lead. I recommend CPU bcos CPU's are damn near frame perfect with their juggles and utilts/uairs so should be even tougher to punish or bait than a human. Just dont pick up any bad habits like ALWAYS expecting a utilt bcos any good opponent WILL mix it up.

HOWEVER, Wario doesnt NEED to camp or time the other person out or play gay or anything to win on BF.
More aggressive playstyles would definitely benefit from the juggling options that the platforms offer.
On a stage like BF, I would recommend that every time you get a grab, you go for UPThrow. juggling with uair will probably be your main source of damage on this stage. of course, platform pressure also plays a big part in this stage... both to yourself and the opponent.

If you ever find yourself in your shield on a platform and you're getting pressured, just jump. I mean, if you jump and you get hit before your jump OoS comes out then thats too bad, but the only move that can pressure fast enough to beat the jump is MK's uair anyway. Just keep your cool, dont get knocked off that side of the platforms, its almost ALWAYS a better idea to just jump to another platform than to drop down to the stage.

if you play Falco on this stage, you should DEFINITELY platform camp him. same with Diddy, but Diddy has a lot more annoying options to interrupt your camp. watch out for his very fast uair or utilt(both frame 3 I think) and diddy is never scared to throw a nana up at you and follow up with an aerial. its a very easy way to lose your momentum so just watch out for upthrown bananas. you should never even touch the stage against Diddy or Falco or you'll probably regret it.
against MK I would say just take him to FD or smashville, not BF.
for Snake, SV would be your best choice... but if you cant get SV then of course BF would be better than FD due to limiting his grab release bullcrap. just make sure he doesnt catch you slipping up near the centre of the stage where the platforms wont save you. if Wario is camping the top platforms, Snake has virtually no approach options but to throw grenades at you. you can always see a mortar coming if he tries to fire them upwards, but just always always keep the grenades in mind because they are pretty much his only tool against Wario camping above.

^this is probably my longest post ever. damn.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
And what a fine post it was! I was about to reply with something like "**** camping!", but I really liked the part including aggressive playstyles haha. That's the good thing about long posts, you can include a lot in them :p

BF is awesome, because the platforms complement my aggressive playstyle. One question I have though, is how good is a platform drop airdodge for combat? For a while, I had a habit of doing lots of platform drop Uairs. Naturally, this got me punished, because even though the drop is 1 frame, his Clap startup is 9 frames. Plus you had to fall a while before you were in range to even hit them with the Uair!

I haven't done any formal testing, but I believe platform drop to airdodge is a really great option. It's super fast, and gives you lots of invincibility. Just don't make a habit of it, because you are going to have lag when you land, and if the opponent is expecting it then be prepared to get punish. Maybe it is possible to jump before you hit the ground? Only testing will find out.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
personally bf is a really good stage for wario kause of the platforms and it kan help u against characters that can gr u (except marth of course) . And about the approaching well lets see falco can be a pain on the *** cause of the lazors etc. They allow you to camp but it can be a bit hard to approach use ur bike and tires in here it will help u alot

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
its annoying against people who camp under the platform and wait for you to approach. Dont fall behind.

Play tag-your-it on the platforms and never get tagged.

i think thats it for now.

up up and AWAY!

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
imo bf > fd > sf
i dont like the platforms on battle field, they disturbs me, fd only if my enemy is no chaingrab char
sf is the king for me, one platform which protects me from grab releases and much space for tire****

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
New topic is Yoshi's Island? Okay!

This stage is alright for me. I would never counterpick here, but don't mind so much being brought here. Against D3, the unevenness of the stage has a chance to mess up his grab release on you. However, it's really easy for D3 (as well as others) to camp under the platform, using it as you would a giant solid umbrella that moves on it's own.

Also if you're trying to edgeguard someone, a ghost might come to their rescue. Not so useful for us because of our unorthodox recovery, though. Shy Guys disrupt projectile spam, possibly giving you openings against characters like Falco and Toon Link. They also block tires though, not so much of a big deal.

I would say this is a neutral stage for Wario. Not tooo good, but not so bad either.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
This stage is very dependant for us on who we're facing. It could be very good, very bad, or very neutral in a matchup.

You'd want to take a Snake here, and usually it is a nice stage for us Game 1. Except against some characters, like MK (unless you feel comrtable here and they don't) or Lucario. I like it a lot, because plenty of my opponents hate this stage. Even if it's not their worst stage, they tend to strike it, making the starter pick even better for us. And... it's usually not a bad stage for us, unless we're against certain characters.

And as always, bike away from the stage to recover. Simple and obvious information, but incredibly nessacary to be able to do anything on this stage.

I also hate facing DK, D3, and Wolf on this stage. There may be a few others, but the three I just mentioned may not be that bad on YI, I just don't like facing those characters on this stage. You'll probably have your few as well.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I hate Yoshi's so damn much. everything about this stage pisses me off. the only thing that makes it SOMETIMES okay is bouncing tires all over the stage on the slanted floors while the tires maintain hitboxes. Its like Tink's boomerang just going back and forth.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I sometimes like this stage against DDD.

If you are going up against a campy D3 that spaces and waits for grabs and bullsh*t then yes this stage is a nightmare.

Otherwise if the DDD plays well its an enjoyable level.

I dont like how some characters can hit your through the platform like dk's bair, lucario's fair, rob's fair/gyro and so on.

I prefer this stage over FD in most cases though.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I honestly would rather tke my chnces with FD than go to this dumb stage. I always ban this before Lylat.

Zelderu Maryoto

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's Island is a relatively good stage for Wario. The Shy Guys sometimes get in the way for projectiles to hit Wario, which is good, because projectiles stop Wario's approaching. Also, that platform in the middle sometimes helps Wario avoid Grab Releases, even though it can get in the way for Wario's approaching. However, it is a platform that can be went through by tilting the Control Stick down. Also, the platform helps tires to bounce in unexpected ways. Wario can also perform good bike tricks with the sloped edges.

Ze3rox

Smash Rookie
My second least favorite neutral.
Although it's not a bad stage for Wario, it's not that good. Your aerial game seems to be rather limited because of the central plataform, and i think that's the biggest problem.

I would bring DDD and Snake here, but it really depends on how the opponent plays, so it' not so reliable.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
imo worst neutral for wario because is kinda hard to pull out youre bike and use youre tires in a good way since you got a platform above you.

Personally i think this stage is horrible but not that bad i got this video yea its old showin how to deal with ddd. Still i th ink this stage is bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WblnDkuq25g

Top Bottom