• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official TGC Event #2! 137 entrants! Houston, Tx ( 4-25-2015)! MEWTWO BREAKS TOP 3!!!!

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Stripher's points are quite valid IMO, but I can understand Xyro not making streaming a priority. Still, best of both worlds scenario would be to be able to stream while still getting an affordable venue. I don't like streams for the Esport factor, more like I want to be able to support my Houston boys in case I won't be able to make it to a TGC.

Although to be honest, I'm surprised that a venue as large as that has no internet access at all.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well keep in mind this venue is mostly for weddings and coporate parties. Somehow I doubt those events would require livestreaming...

It's still not a huge deal breaker. Vids were still recorded. The only things difference is that they weren't live (oh noes, the horror) and have no (usual) garbage commentary.

Last edited:

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
I Actually agree with stripher. Dont get me wrong, Xyro has aloooooooot of experience in TO'ing, but sometimes, people out of state or even in houston want to know whats happening at TGC. Also RT, theres a way to fix bad commentators. Dont put them there in the first place!! i wouldnt mind paying an extra $5 to have a better venue or to help with streaming equipment. We need to up our game.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Also RT, theres a way to fix bad commentators. Dont put them there in the first place!! i wouldnt mind paying an extra $5 to have a better venue or to help with streaming equipment. We need to up our game.
It's happened multiple times in a row. Go watch past vids with commentary. Your ears will vomit blood.

And I would mind paying $15 venue for a monthly. That is quite steep for a monthly just for a 12-hour luxury item that really doesn't matter beyond pleasing a handful of people.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Actually I have been to one of your brawl tournaments very very long ago, sometime around 5-7 years ago. I'm aware of who you are.
Being to one smash event of mine in the last 11 years doesn't qualify for much of anything. You don't know me nor what/how I do.

I'm also aware that I quit playing smash bros many years ago, and that I was brought back in after watching people stream 3ds and seeing how cool smash 4 would be.
Ah ok so smash 4 brought you in. Not streaming.

a lot of people like me that quit playing and never played hardcore are in the same boat, and unless you want new faces to slowly trickle into the scene and don't value pulling in people through many different avenues,
I question whether I should appeal to people like you. After all, you only went to ONE of my events and then proceed to tell me how to grow my scene based off of your near zero experience in TOing when compared to me. It sounds like you read a tweet, FB post or whatever and are simply regurgitating the words.

you should find a venue that has internet and space(hint it's houston , a big giant city with thousands of buildings vacant on weekends.) you might pay $100 more for the venue but I'm sure everyone could afford another dollar with the end result being a viewable event from twitch.
If all it took was 100$ to get a wired connection, I'd do it. Venues that can comfortably hold 200 or more people are not cheap and since I don't make money off of events I refuse to go into debt to find everything I need in a venue. If you hosted events my size you would know what I mean.

please ask me if top 5 people in texas would just like to come own texas events over and over. please tell me that they have no commitment to their "esport". please tell me they'd be just as happy playing smash as much as they do if there was 0 glory to be had.
You don't know our top players that well. Of course we would like to be streamed and become famous. Who wouldn't? But it's not a determining factor for them. They want to have FUN before anything else. Literally go to the Houston thread and ask around.

Oh also, during the brawl days, Our top players were famous without streams and streaming was a thing back then too.

just because the other 130 entrants may not be up there yet, doesn't mean that's not how the games grow. it's not an esport for most of us, but no esports would exist if it weren't for the casuals who liked the competition, and the mid level competitive players that like learning and seeing a higher level of play than they themselves have reached.
Streaming doesn't make a game esports and neither does the contents of your post.

obviously most of the people that play to be super competitive have some kind of drive to win or place high in a national event, and get respect and fame for their skills and hard work. allow them to display their hardwork thru easier means. my point is simple and valid. get internet for streaming, people already bring full setups and the equipment for you.
If the prices/situation is right, I'll do it. If not then I won't.

What's best for the scene isn't watching from behind a computer. It's getting out there and playing.

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
its a steep but its to help out the community. isnt that what its all about? to make houston bigger and better? helping in anyway possible? or at least keep it at 10 and then ask the competitors if they would like to donate $1-$5 for The houston community

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
I think the more important question is...when is TGC 12? Because I want a certain someone to win it and then I can mention it nonstop.
Can't wait for TGC 12 because I'm gonna make Flip team with me :)

Teshie U

Smash Lord
In a perfect world, with the perfect venue, we would have all the bells and whistles.

However, I've been going to Xyro's events for a loooong time as well and this is the biggest, highest quality venue I've ever been to for ANY tournament (including ones with 3-4 times the venue fee). $10 venue for a venue like what we have is insane.

But some of you would have us give that up, have the players suffer through cramped spaces, massive venue fees, blistering heat and any number of other issues so that the folks at home can get a free show.

What about the young players that have to bring the parents or older siblings along? Do you realize how much worse it will be for them if its 30-40 dollar venue fee.

I've been to nationals in this city with all of those issues and having a stream didn't make the event bigger OR more enjoyable when I was drenched in sweat, spent 100$ on venue fees and parking.

You just have to understand that we aren't intentionally avoiding a stream, but it IS the least important thing by far. The first priority is the players that show up and make the event what it is. Its NOT the people are home complaining about stream availability or quality or any of those things you are expecting with 0 effort on your end.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The scene seems to be fine as is. I saw a lot of new and hopeful faces at this tourney, which is great.

What I don't like is seeing new players coming in after a single tourney, and then telling a well-established TO that's he's wrong, his tourney is garbage because no livestream, and then not doing anything to help solve the problem beyond conplaining about a tiny thing which really doesn't matter in the long run since vids are being uploaded anyways.

If you want vids recorded, bring your own recording setup with 4G LTE hotspot. Be proactive, because it's clear that only a handful of people really care if it's livestreamed. Again, vids are still going up. It really, REALLY doesn't matter in the long run.

You new players would have probably committed sudoku during the Funplex days. You're only proving Xyro's new gen rants to be more true.

Last edited:

stripheR

Smash Cadet
xyro you're the myspace of 2015. i don't need to say more. you did well for your time and made a good run but won't adapt quick enough. facebook will be here to take your spot, and it might not be better(i liked myspace more) it will be more successful and popular. i haven't been to a xyro tournament since the road to tgc2 and it was so far the worst tournament i've been to in the last year.

just because i havent attended a ton of smash tournaments until recently doesn't mean I am short on tournament/lan experience as a whole.

Xyro77

If it makes a difference RT, I have 300$ saved for my eventual stream set-up.

Last edited:

stripheR

Smash Cadet
If it makes a difference RT, I have 300$ saved for my eventual stream set-up.
me and a few others in houston can gladly bring a streaming rig, along with capture devices...i don't have an extra headset for a 2nd commentator but I'm sure that wouldn't be hard to find. what's needed is the internet.

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
In a perfect world, with the perfect venue, we would have all the bells and whistles.

However, I've been going to Xyro's events for a loooong time as well and this is the biggest, highest quality venue I've ever been to for ANY tournament (including ones with 3-4 times the venue fee). $10 venue for a venue like what we have is insane.

But some of you would have us give that up, have the players suffer through cramped spaces, massive venue fees, blistering heat and any number of other issues so that the folks at home can get a free show.

What about the young players that have to bring the parents or older siblings along? Do you realize how much worse it will be for them if its 30-40 dollar venue fee.

I've been to nationals in this city with all of those issues and having a stream didn't make the event bigger OR more enjoyable when I was drenched in sweat, spent 100$ on venue fees and parking.

You just have to understand that we aren't intentionally avoiding a stream, but it IS the least important thing by far. The first priority is the players that show up and make the event what it is. Its NOT the people are home complaining about stream availability or quality or any of those things you are expecting with 0 effort on your end.
The scene seems to be fine as is. I saw a lot of new and hopeful faces at this tourney, which is great.

What I don't like is seeing new players coming in after a single tourney, and then telling a well-established TO that's he's wrong, his tourney is garbage because no livestream, and then not doing anything to help solve the problem beyond conplaining about a tiny thing which really doesn't matter in the long run since vids are being uploaded anyways.

If you want vids recorded, bring your own recording setup with 4G LTE hotspot. Be proactive, because it's clear that only a handful of people really care if it's livestreamed. Again, vids are still going up. It really, REALLY doesn't matter in the long run.

You new players would have probably committed sudoku during the Funplex days. You're only proving Xyro's new gen rants to be more true.
im not saying to replace quality over streams. why not have both. these event arent garbage either. a stream WILL help. not only do the people at the tournament enjoy themselves, but other people watching who perhaps couldnt make it are enjoying it as well.

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
@ Xyro77 Xyro77 im going to start a kickstarter and try to raise money for you guys. ill support in any way possible. ill find creative ways to save money for the community :)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

Trela

Smash Lord
StripheR is the definition of new gen bait. Ignore him.

This was Xyro's best event from WHOBO MLG to TGC1, which were full of complaints. If you want to complain about something, direct your attention towards those who held up the brackets for hours, thus leading to us having to finish the rest of the tournament at Grim's brother's house.

Our stream will be done right. Be patient.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Holy fish. This stripher guy is the definition of irrelevant looooool.

Tesh hit the nail on the head, and some random coming in telling Xyro that he's gonna be washed out is laughable. Newsflash. He hasn't washed out. He won't. Xyro hosts the pinnacle tournaments of Texas at the moment and always has.

Btw I won this tournament. I couldn't care less about a live stream :laugh::laugh::joyful:

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
Regardless, im still going to spread the word to help save money for streaming equipment and etc. and trela/grim. i know hes new, but hes voicing his opinion.. i wouldve loved to see trelas mewtwo rampage, or grim run through winners, all these opportunites we are missing because we dont have a proper steaming "team" or whatever you call it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

This was Xyro's best event from WHOBO MLG to TGC1, which were full of complaints. If you want to complain about something, direct your attention towards those who held up the brackets for hours, thus leading to us having to finish the rest of the tournament at Grim's brother's house.

Holy fish. This stripher guy is the definition of irrelevant looooool.

Tesh hit the nail on the head, and some random coming in telling Xyro that he's gonna be washed out is laughable. Newsflash. He hasn't washed out. He won't. Xyro hosts the pinnacle tournaments of Texas at the moment and always has.

Btw I won this tournament. I couldn't care less about a live stream :laugh::laugh::joyful:
You guys are myspace tier as well. You don't know anything, despite being years in the scene. Shut up!

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Regardless, im still going to spread the word to help save money for streaming equipment and etc. and trela/grim. i know hes new, but hes voicing his opinion.. i wouldve loved to see trelas mewtwo rampage, or grim run through winners, all these opportunites we are missing because we dont have a proper steaming "team" or whatever you call it.
We all know streams are nice and wanted. You're missing the point though within this context though.

stripheR

Smash Cadet

sorry the primary reason I wanted to see the stream this weekend was to see YOUR mewtwo after hearing how well you were doing in brackets.

Last edited:

Xyro77

If people would like to donate to me for a stream, do so at PayPal was7x@hotmail.com.

If not, wait until I save up enough myself,

sorry the primary reason I wanted to see the stream this weekend was to see YOUR mewtwo after hearing how well you were doing in brackets.
Then show up. Be apart of the community.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
And that's fine. You coming out lashing here at Xyro and calling him a fading TO is the opposite way to express yourself on this. If you paid attention on the Houston thread, you'd know there has been talk of getting an official stream. Xyro is working on it.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If people would like to donate to me for a stream, do so at PayPal was7x@hotmail.com.

If not, wait until I save up enough myself,

Then show up. Be apart of the community.
Do you remember what we discussed? If you decided against it, that's fine too. Get in touch with me.

Last edited:

Oni•n

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Onion546714
3DS FC
5129-2796-7326
Can I donate to your piggy bank in person? How much money do you need for the stream?

stripheR

Smash Cadet
And that's fine. You coming out lashing here at Xyro and calling him a fading TO is the opposite way to express yourself on this. If you paid attention on the Houston thread, you'd know there has been talk of getting an official stream. Xyro is working on it.
i didn't say **** about him or his ability in being a TO until he expressed his opinion on how much he had no interest in going out of his way at all to provide one or be able to host a stream setup because only the gameplay matters to him. that is ignorant.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Looooooool back we are to square 1.

Either way, his basis is right. The PLAYERS matter first and foremost. I didn't go to Apex and don't go to tournaments that favor VIEWERSHIP over players. Xyro is hosted a tournament for the players like always and they are quality. If I'm at the tournament, I am what matters, not stream monsters. Once again, a stream in the works but it's not going to take priority.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Matches are being recorded though. This is coming from my experience, but I'm more of a fan of watching highlights or the ending segments of a match if its close than watching a whole set live. Plus with replay saving, you can easily send matches to someone with a capture card and have them uploaded on Youtube.

I do like to join the stream monsters if I'm being live streamed on a match. Give spoilers before they see it. gwahhah.

stripheR

Smash Cadet
holy crap it's like I'm asking for dressing rooms for every entrant or something??? i'm just saying that in houston a giant city with thousands and thousands of buildings and businesses, there are some available for rent on weekends that have a freaking cable drop. im not asking for priority on a stream over players, im saying that

BOTH ARE POSSIBLE AND COMPLETELY REASONABLE TO BE EXPECTED IN THIS GIANT CITY.

Last edited:

Whispy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LegendaryLui
Looooooool back we are to square 1.

Either way, his basis is right. The PLAYERS matter first and foremost. I didn't go to Apex and don't go to tournaments that favor VIEWERSHIP over players. Xyro is hosted a tournament for the players like always and they are quality. If I'm at the tournament, I am what matters, not stream monsters. Once again, a stream in the works but it's not going to take priority.
Hopefully it doesn't take priority. I just feel like Houston deserves more, so hopefully i can be of some kind of help, and push forward into having a Stream up and running AND keep the Good quality of the tournaments.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Way to win your first TCG, Timmy!!!!!!

And OH MY DAYUM, I can't believe Trela got second going ALL MEWTWO. Good lord that's awesome. Damn good job, man!

It's also great to see Gnes in the top 10. I been creeping Houston results for a while now and was wondering how quickly Gnes would make his way up top again. :)

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
holy crap it's like I'm asking for dressing rooms for every entrant or something??? i'm just saying that in houston a giant city with thousands and thousands of buildings and businesses, there are some available for rent on weekends that have a freaking cable drop. im not asking for priority on a stream over players, im saying that

BOTH ARE POSSIBLE AND COMPLETELY REASONABLE TO BE EXPECTED IN THIS GIANT CITY.
Which venues would you recommend that could host 100+ Entrants, provide ample space and multiple power outlets, tables and chairs provided, a strong consistent internet provider, be open from 9am to possibly 12am and where the venue fee can be relatively low (Currently its $10 venue fee).

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Thanks buddy!

Btw, I used Mewtwo as well in singles. I also used Fox and Mewtwo in doubles.

Falcon/Fox/Mewtwo for all events.

Edit: Don't forget about offering food Flip.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Don't forget also willing to clean up destroyed bathrooms by a single person.

Seriously, whoever did that should be banned until he goes to see a doctor.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Thanks buddy!

Btw, I used Mewtwo as well in singles. I also used Fox and Mewtwo in doubles.

Falcon/Fox/Mewtwo for all events.

Edit: Don't forget about offering food Flip.
I would put that, but I didn't experience it from TGC 2 so I can't ask much about it. How was the food experience though?

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
Well alright everyone, this is all I got from TGC2.

Doubles (7 matches)

Singles (6 matches, two of which are MMs)

I came to the tournament with my laptop and capture card, fully expecting there to be something already. Nope, my capture card is now the premier setup.

We missed ALL of Trela's Mewtwo, Tipy's come up, and much, much more.

I won't be a negative nancy though, hope you guys enjoy the videos.

P.S. I would have brought in the full commentary+webcam setup, and could have uploaded just as quickly this time, but for personal reasons I opted out.

stripheR

Smash Cadet
I don't understand everyone's problem with GameGuys in pasadena, and they have said more than once they can book the giant ballroom nextdoor to make room for a few hundred people for the bigger events. The only negative thing I've heard about gameguys is that most people aren't willing to make the 45 minute drive there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom