• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Tabuu Discussion

JimMD102

Smash Rookie
Okay.

We all know that Tabuu thought that they didn't deserve to fight. He wanted to imprison them in the best way possible and take their resources(subspace bombs). The question is why he did it and where he came from.

I think that Tabuu started out as a being who absorbed power from having it and used the subspace technology to slowly turn everything around him into subspace and take it over. As he enlarged subspace, he persisted until he reached the smash bros world and healt that this unchanged world had to be changed. Nothing could exist without subspace and the master hand couldn't be the master (taboo).

Or maybe he fealt that sonic and snake were breaking smash taboos.

I think it's the first one but you never know.

Fonix

Smash Cadet
Maybe we should shift from this "The master hand is the boy of the little kid." I think by melee that was kind of thrown out and master hand was just "the boss."

That being the case we can treat the smash universe as a separate universe filled with all of our favorite characters who pretty much just live to fight. They retain their personalities from their actual video game series however.

Tabuu came from wherever to claim the resources of the smash universe(i.e. the trophies). His sheer power allowed him to gain control of master hand. He used Master Hand to manipulate others within the universe, which worked because of them retaining their personalities. That's why the "villains" were teamed up with the subspace army. They saw it as a way to obtain more power.

I guess basically what I'm saying is, they decided to introduce a new villain, the kid element has been gone for a while, and this is what the universe would be like if every nintendo series was mashed together into one game :p

regorris

Smash Apprentice
I think that arguing Nintendo canon is kind of silly. The only games that seem to have real cohesive storylines are Metriod and Zelda. And I think that they really had to retcon a lot for those to even work.

Anyway, I think that Tabuu is the avatar of a kid. You look at his attacks, and you can see what I mean--take a good look at his 'tantrum/flail' attack. Also, every kid who pretends has some type of super-move that offs everyone--ie: the butterfly move.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Raz92

Smash Rookie
I'm telling you, it's SONY!

I mean, it's a freaky old guy with OHKO moves, plus he introduced a little something called BLOOD in this game, if you look at Master hand after he gets freed.
Plus, it's more violent than any other smash brothers.
They powered down our favorites, then introduced new characters like Ike, who can PARALLEL Bowser in terms of power.
Plus, Ike is pretty fast for all that power.

So, SONY/Tabuu came in after Melee, and made things more realistic.
No... its not sony...

its SEGA!!!
it was angry after nintendo beat sega and has come back for revenge! but, once sonic saw this, he tried to help nintendo because he had made up with them at the olympics!!!!!

Rabid_Jigglypuff

Smash Cadet
My take on the whole "Master Hand @ Crazy Hand are two different emotions" thing....

Master Hand is the embodiment of creative spirit. Crazy Hand is the embodiment of deswtructive spirit.

Obviously, they are two polar opposites. Kind of like....Yin and Yang. It says on Crazy Hand's trophy that it appears when Master Hand's power begins to ebb, or weaken. Since Master Hand is weakening, Crazy Hand appears to take advantage and increase it's own power. In this way, they are rivals, each opposing the other, keeping things equal. However, we must assume that there is some comaraderie between them, as in Melee and Brawl, they use combination attacks when they are together.

My theory: Master Hand and Crazy Hand represent Yin and Yang, with one being "good" and the other "evil". When one is weak, the other gains power. However, they always manage to balance each other out. (By this we can infer that Crazy Hand's power is equal to that of Master Hand's) They are both "Gods" in the Smash Universe.

As for Tabuu....he is merely an all-powerful being who was exiled from his home world for being to powerful/evil/cute and who wishes to gain omnipotence and omniscience through absorbing as much energy as he can. (Omniscience theory can be supported by the fact he seems to "control" Subspace, and brings several locations into Subspace, thereby giving him more ability to be everywhere) He turns the Smash Warriors into trophies because he senses their ability to defeat him as a group. He wishes to maintain his "ultimate power". It can be inferred that he has power greater than that of Master Hand (at least when he's in Subspace) since he is show to control MH and even defend against his attack.

Jewbacabra

Smash Cadet
I'm about to draw parallel's to a game i doubt any of you have played, but if you did, congratulaions; if you didn't go play it.

Killer 7.

Master Hand - Kun Lan
Crazy Hand - Master Harmon

I'm not going to explain because it'll take a year. (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/562551/38193)

As for The Great Maze --
Tabuu essentially has the ability to have a subspace, a seperate universe between many different universe's.
I believe the Great Maze is just Tabuu's attempt at creating his own replica of the "real" world inside his "sub" world. That would explain copies of every character.

Furthermore, he might decide to hinder master hand so that no one interferes with his agenda.
Also, he probably turned all the "real" brawlers into trophies so that only his "copies" would "exist".

Excuse me air quotes.

Nixis

Smash Cadet
well this is confusing. crazy hand has had no evident contact with tabuu and here we are trying to explain what on earth crazy hand is.

maybe tabuu is just an alien, because if master hand is "God" and crazy hand is the "Devil" then they are the most powerful beings in the Smash World (ignore the fact that u beat them up every time u play Classic Mode). If Tabuu is strong enough to overtake master hand, or God, then he cant possibly be from the earth.

oooooooooooooo or maybe hes roy and pichu and dr. mario and young link and mewtwo combined cuz they were angry that they got kicked out of brawl. see this actually makes sense because mewtwo, being all psychic, can control stuff like subspace, and roy and pichu are both really strong (u wouldn't know, i doubt u ever play as pichu), and dr. mario and y. link are different versions of the main characters. For example, in the trailer for brawl, the four main characters are mario, link, pika, and kirby. kirby has never had any clones so scratch him out. pichu, dr mario, and y. link are all different forms of the main characters of brawl, so they probably are... manifestations of the main chars minds?

TheLake

Smash Master
Tabuus pretty cool. We shared a few drinks once or twice.

Master hand was there too kareokee while crazy hand was bustin a move on the dance floor.

Good times good times

D00D64

Smash Cadet
Tabuus pretty cool. We shared a few drinks once or twice.

Master hand was there too kareokee while crazy hand was bustin a move on the dance floor.

Good times good times
...best post in thread.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
Master Hand represents the child who plays with the trophies which are the characters right? Well, if that's the case, then Tabuu represents something that wants to stop the child's imagination or fun. That would be either an external source (a relative or friend) or an internal source (the child growing up).

In SSB64, Master Hand was the only leading figure, it was the hand of the child that plays with the characters. When you fight Master Hand, it's easy to beat, as if it is only "playing" with you.

In Melee, Crazy Hand was introduced, it was the start of the child changing and becoming more destructive and hateful towards the characters. Crazy Hand still doesn't mean to hurt the characters. Just to playfully fight them.

In Brawl, the Tabuu was introduced, he is the start of the transformation of the boy from an imaginative child, to a more serious adult. Tabuu thought that it was time to put the child's toys away and was serious about destroying the characters. He wasn't there for play anymore, he meant to destroy the characters unlike Crazy or Master Hand.

That's my rebuttal towards the Step-Dad theory.

JVMetaknight

Smash Rookie
Sakurai seems to like his end bosses warping about at random.

Tabuu cannot actively interfere in the World of Trophies (Sakurai's name for the Smash Bros. universe). He can, however, observe it through Subspace. Subspace bombs draw portions of the World of Trophies into Subspace, which Tabuu can then actively manipulate, to the point where he can stitch them together into the Great Maze.

Master Hand seems able to exist in Subspace. Tabuu controlled Master Hand with the Chains of Light. Tabuu, through Master Hand, could now actively interfere in the World of Trophies. This explains how he was able to form the Subspace Army (via G&W) and get the villains of the World of Trophies to fight alongside the Subspace Army. Throughout all of this, Tabuu remained hidden to everyone from the World of Trophies.

Master Hand was thought to be at the top of the 'bad guy' hierarchy by Ganondorf. Ganondorf plotted to side with Master Hand until all resistance from the heroes was eliminated, then betray Master Hand and control everything himself. Bowser was next in command purely for his strength and his command over an army of his own...not so much his calculating mind. Wario seemed in it purely for the fun of it; he was too much of a loose cannon for Ganondorf to trust with more than a Dark Cannon and orders to neutralize as many heroes as possible. Wario most likely treated the entire thing as a game.

Ganondorf's and Bowser's ignorance of Tabuu's manipulation of Master Hand explains his indifference to the existence of Subspace or the use of Supspace bombs in large quantities. It also explains why he was willing to enter Subspace itself to escape from the heroes after the destruction of the Subspace Gunship. Only at the very end did Tabuu reveal himself to Ganondorf, because he knew that he could defeat him with one blast of the Off Waves. Ganondorf's defeat inadvertently freed Master Hand, who, either for idealogical differences (a desire to protect the world he created) or simply resentment at being controlled, attacked Tabuu. Tabuu did not use the Off Waves against Master Hand, and Master Hand did not turn into a trophy upon his defeat...though Master Hand has been represented as a trophy before. Tabuu most likely wanted to incapacitate Master Hand rather than kill him, so that he could control him again later.

The Great Maze was our world as Tabuu began to reconstruct it. Now that parts of the World of Trophies existed in Subspace, Tabuu could exert his influence over them by populating them with his army, along with evil copies of the fighters. He chose to hide himself away in the center of the maze to protect himself.

Crazy Hand was not mentioned in the SSE, so I think it's equally crazy to drag him into this particular discussion.

For more on the story, as well as one of my primary sources of info, check the Dojo: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/modea/modea17.html

The above are just my restatement of the facts, with a few interpretations thrown in here and there.

Crazy Hand, for whatever reason, was not featured in the story of SSE, so I subsequently think it's crazy to drag him into this.

meresilence0

Smash Apprentice
I think we may all be overthinking this just a little.
There is a DOJO!! post about the backstory of the SSE. End of story.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Or, get hit by the first ring, fly out of the screen range, and after the other rings are over, make your way back to the stage.
I did!.
That only works on easy though, try that on intense and see what happens. (or on normal, but intense looks more dramatic.)

Shackel11

Smash Cadet
Aw man, I was so intrested in this I couldn't even read the first 3 posts before rushing down to start posting. Okay, this is my take on it.

SSB- Master Hand is like a young child, carefully puting things together. He took the powers which could kill him, destroy the room, or wreck anything around him and put them in small marbles, which he put in a jar. He started making the trophies fight, but when they turned against him, the child was surprised, and told his father, Tabuu, who was recently fired from his job. Tabuu pulled him away from the room, thinking he was nuts. He was forced to stay away from the room for a long time, where he started to hate the trophies.

SSBM- The trophies constructed their own world, and learned how to live without being turned back into trophies, but the child came back with the intent of destroying them, which disappeared as soon as he remembered the good times he had with them, so he began to "play" with them again.... Of course they turned back against him but the child, no longer scared of them, fought back fiercely with his good hand, the left hand. He was beaten again but when he screamed in anger and frustration Tabuu became annoyed, and decided to destroy the trophies.

SSBB- Tabuu started to grab large pieces from the World of Trophies and put them in a chest, which represented Subspace but during this he accidentally knocked over the jar of marbles. A few of the trophies went on his side. He eventually got the older brother to pose as the younger one to keep the most dangerous trophies, Bowser and Ganondorf under control. Tabuu even found a BB gun that turned the people back into trophies, but was just a BB gun with normal BBs to everyone else. Soon the younger son was about to come home from school that day so Tabuu took the biggest chunk and stuffed it in the chest. The younger son found Tabuu taking his things and tried to get them back, during the VERY short fight Tabuu accidentally shot the younger son in the hand, immediatly turning all of the animated trophies back to their original forms, except for Luigi and Kirby, which had DDD caps on them given to them by DDD himself, which was lost in the boys room for a long time before being found. Soon the father found out the trophies went inside of the chest, so Tabuu shot himself in the foot with a Smash Ball(Marble) and turned himself into the Tabuu we know(the smaller one) but was stopped, he tried increasing his power with more Smash Balls but it simply overloaded him, causing him to explode, destroying the chest and throwing the pieces of the World of Trophies back out. Unfortunatly, the kids were now fatherless and the younger son promised never to create anything else for them again, but he would occasionally play with them.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
I think of Master Hand, Crazy Hand and Taboo not so much as actual, physical people, but more as representations of a child growing up.

The Master Hand is the child playing with his toys. In the original, he is surprised and mad when they turn on him (when playing with action figures becomes "uncool") and they fight.

In Melee, the child is angry because he still wants to be a kid and play with his toys but he's getting too old. The anger is expressed in the Crazy Hand. He takes it out on the toys which represent his younger self.

In Brawl, Taboo represents the personality "shell" that many people have that is covering his true wishes, as Taboo controls the Master Hand. When the heroes destroy Taboo, this means that the child has matured and realizes that he can be who he wants, even if it means playing with toys.

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
I think of Master Hand, Crazy Hand and Taboo not so much as actual, physical people, but more as representations of a child growing up.

The Master Hand is the child playing with his toys. In the original, he is surprised and mad when they turn on him (when playing with action figures becomes "uncool") and they fight.

In Melee, the child is angry because he still wants to be a kid and play with his toys but he's getting too old. The anger is expressed in the Crazy Hand. He takes it out on the toys which represent his younger self.

In Brawl, Taboo represents the personality "shell" that many people have that is covering his true wishes, as Taboo controls the Master Hand. When the heroes destroy Taboo, this means that the child has matured and realizes that he can be who he wants, even if it means playing with toys.
Yay one person agrees with me :laugh:

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Master Hand represents the child who plays with the trophies which are the characters right? Well, if that's the case, then Tabuu represents something that wants to stop the child's imagination or fun. That would be either an external source (a relative or friend) or an internal source (the child growing up).

In SSB64, Master Hand was the only leading figure, it was the hand of the child that plays with the characters. When you fight Master Hand, it's easy to beat, as if it is only "playing" with you.

In Melee, Crazy Hand was introduced, it was the start of the child changing and becoming more destructive and hateful towards the characters. Crazy Hand still doesn't mean to hurt the characters. Just to playfully fight them.

In Brawl, the Tabuu was introduced, he is the start of the transformation of the boy from an imaginative child, to a more serious adult. Tabuu thought that it was time to put the child's toys away and was serious about destroying the characters. He wasn't there for play anymore, he meant to destroy the characters unlike Crazy or Master Hand.

That's my rebuttal towards the Step-Dad theory.
I go with this guy, remeber the opening in Smash 1?

Shadowmaim

Smash Rookie
My 2 cents:

SSB64: No coherent plot(at least not an intended one), just a game to please the masses and stop "No mario could totally kill link!" They probably were thinking that the characters were action figures that a child would play with and the master hand being a god concept wasn't thought of yet.

SSBM: While it featured an adventure mode, this ultimately ended in fighting bowser, then after being raised as gigabowser by an unseen force. While this force may have been master hand, there still wasn't much plot to it.

SSBB: Now on to the real theory. Tabuu forces takes control of Master Hand. Tabuu makes subspace bombs. These bombs warp parts of the smash world to the subspace dimension. The subspace dimension is ruled by tabuu. Tabuu - God of subspace, Master Hand - God of Smash World. It's a war of dimensions.

Listerine

Smash Apprentice
Tabuu was probably rejected by his master in another world, maybe a parelell to Subspace. And for some reason Tabuu ended up in Subspace. In order to prove he was more than an outcast, he decided to make the great maze and present it to the master of the other world

Probably too cliche, but that's what I thunk.

Top Bottom