• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Pit

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Take note, this part here's a copied and pasted message! But please read it anyway:
As we begin to approach the deadline for creating 10 custom sets for each character, we believe it's time to make sure that your conversations are staying on track, and that we evaluate the progress of your discussions. As such, we have prepared a preliminary lineup of custom sets based on what your conversations have led to. Feel free to adjust and update this list as necessary. After all, we want each character to be brought to their best potential!

We are going to begin to create the finalized sets on March 17th, so make sure you conclude any discussion you're having by then.

Preliminary Custom Sets:
Dark Pit:

3, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 niche 2XXX
3112 3113 3312 3313 3122 3123 3322 3323
Niche: 2113 2313

Dark Pit is a character about which I have major doubts as per the quality of what we've put together so far. Do we need neutral-1 sets, and if so, what goes to make room for them? Currently we're internally just not entirely sure about what the Pits need; the next 10 days would be a great time to help us understand that a bit better.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Take note, this part here's a copied and pasted message! But please read it anyway:
As we begin to approach the deadline for creating 10 custom sets for each character, we believe it's time to make sure that your conversations are staying on track, and that we evaluate the progress of your discussions. As such, we have prepared a preliminary lineup of custom sets based on what your conversations have led to. Feel free to adjust and update this list as necessary. After all, we want each character to be brought to their best potential!

We are going to begin to create the finalized sets on March 17th, so make sure you conclude any discussion you're having by then.

Preliminary Custom Sets:
3112 3113 3312 3313 3122 3123 3322 3323 2112 2113

It was somewhat difficult to make these sets, due to a lower amount of activity here, but here we go.

I'm not 100% sure if you guys are okay with four of the sets utilizing Striking Flight, since the reception on that move seems to be lukewarm at the most, but you couldn't seem to come up with any better options so here it is. If you believe that there are other sets that could be used in lieu of Striking Flight sets, go ahead and correct me.

In addition, I recognize that none of your existing sets have normal arrows in them. Speak up if you believe that a few sets should include them.
Pit:
3, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and niche 2XXX sets
Niche: 2112 2113
Note: Ask about if they want default arrows over any of these sets.

Last edited:

TIL

Smash Rookie
NNID
SDMdom
I don't think it's being overlooked, people just don't like it because it doesn't travel as far and because it has 60f landing lag. If you don't target the ledge with it, you can be punished on reaction. Meaning your opponent can simply guard the ledge, and then react accordingly if you try to go above them onstage.

I mean, the windbox and speed are cool, but they're tiny perks alongside rather significant drawbacks.
I'm testing Breezy flight, and tbh those little perks for me outweigh the small cons. The landing lag seems insignificant since I don't use it to land on stage. Even if the windbox isn't strong enough to gimp out most recoveries, it still has that useful niche, for characters like Ike, and worst case scenario, it pushes them back to give you another attempt at gimping with your aerials.

P.S. Anyone want to explain to me what makes the custom Orbitars so good? I don't doubt you guys, but I'm having trouble seeing it myself. If the impact is for offstage, is it better than fastfalling Dair? And as a reflecting tool, I feel Orbitars are a bit slow, so I'm not comfortable sacking the shield & pushback.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton

Preliminary Custom Sets:
3112 3113 3312 3313 3122 3123 3322 3323 2112 2113

It was somewhat difficult to make these sets, due to a lower amount of activity here, but here we go.

I'm not 100% sure if you guys are okay with four of the sets utilizing Striking Flight, since the reception on that move seems to be lukewarm at the most, but you couldn't seem to come up with any better options so here it is. If you believe that there are other sets that could be used in lieu of Striking Flight sets, go ahead and correct me.

In addition, I recognize that none of your existing sets have normal arrows in them. Speak up if you believe that a few sets should include them.
Pit:
3, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and niche 2XXX sets
Niche: 2112 2113
Note: Ask about if they want default arrows over any of these sets.
Edited my sets a few days back.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton

Preliminary Custom Sets:
Dark Pit:

3, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 niche 2XXX
Niche: 2113 2313

Dark Pit is a character about which I have major doubts as per the quality of what we've put together so far. Do we need neutral-1 sets, and if so, what goes to make room for them? Currently we're internally just not entirely sure about what the Pits need; the next 10 days would be a great time to help us understand that a bit better.
Edited my sets.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
After re-evaluating the discussion, it seems like most Pits agree that sets should have the combinations stemming from:
Palutena Bow/Guiding Arrows
Upperdash Arm/Quickdash Arm
Power of Flight
Impact Orbitars/Amplifying Orbitars

for a total of 8 different sets. I believe the key here will be whether or not Piercing Bow and Striking Flight need to be included in some sets, and if so, how many. If you want to build sets around these niche specials, I could imagine these two combinations could satisfy appropriately:
2313(It's clear that Piercing Bow is going to be used against opponents with hurtbox projectiles, so you can get some shots in. As a result, it's obvious you'll want the actual projectile reflector, as well as Quickdash to help blow through these guys)
3132(This is built up somewhat as a heavy hitter set)

If you don't believe that Striking Flight needs any sets whatsoever then I'd probably say use 2113 as your second Piercing Bow set.

I can imagine you guys who actually main Pit can probably come up with better suggestions than these, but this is probably a good baseline to jump from. How does it sound?

Last edited:

Makorel

Smash Apprentice
P.S. Anyone want to explain to me what makes the custom Orbitars so good? I don't doubt you guys, but I'm having trouble seeing it myself. If the impact is for offstage, is it better than fastfalling Dair? And as a reflecting tool, I feel Orbitars are a bit slow, so I'm not comfortable sacking the shield & pushback.
Impact Orbitars is a large vertical and horizontal hitbox making them safer to use and easier to land than fair and bair. They only do 5 damage but they also send the opponent out super far horizontally due to having a good trajectory and large amount of hit stun. They wouldn't be a replacement for dair since dair is a spike. they also have quite a bit of endlag but it's not like electroshock arm where if you're below the stage you're going to die if you miss. You can fall right at stage level and still survive or fast fall below the stage and jump and down B. They also have super armor on the ground.

Amplifying Orbitars and Guardian Orbitars are the same except Amplifying increases the power of reflected projectiles more than Guardian and Amplifying can't take as many melee hits before they're destroyed. Even this "weakness" doesn't seem so bad because now if you get hit you're not stuck having to put the orbitars away. I've asked in the Pit thread and I'll ask here if there's any reason to use Guardian Orbitars over Amplifying Orbitars because honestly I don't see any.

Makorel

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Quickdash arm helps against proojectile characters. There is a small window of super armor between getting hitstun from projectiles and hitting the projectiles themselves cutting the move short of hitting the projectile user. Bringing the reflector is also iffy and I would say match up dependent.

If we use Duck Hunt as an example, his can will simply fall to the ground and the frisbee will usually go in a trajectory that won't be reflected back unless Duck Hunt is right in front of you. The only move the reflector works on is the gunmen and that only hurts DH if he doesn't jump away. You still have piercing arrows to cut through his projectiles and with the added bonus of taking Impact Orbitars you can now gimp him as well.

also that set (3132) would have breezy flight not striking flight.

Edit: I think that the four moves to remember when making Pit's custom sets are Guiding Bow(3), Impact Orbitars(2), Amplifying Orbitars(3), and Piercing Bow(2). Guiding Bow and Impact Orbitars have utility, Amplifying Orbitars is a straight upgrade over Guardian Orbitars, and Piercing Bow, despite its drawbacks, has a useful niche. Altogether they would make 6 sets.

3112 3113
1112 1113
2112 2113

That means there's four slots leftover. Including Striking Flight or any of the unmentioned custom moves, for me, is more of a "well I need to put something here" than a "How do I squeeze this move that I need in" because honestly none of them seem very useful, and at the time I made my first list Striking Flight looked to me to be the best "least useful" move. I would love to hear advocates for these leftover moves though because if there's something about their strengths that outweigh their drawbacks then I'm just not seeing it.

Last edited:

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
I'm not understanding the Piercing Arrow love at all, to be honest. Sure it hits hard, but it seems like the easiest to literally jump over or shield. With these projectile/zoning characters like Robin, Pac-Man, the best way to close in on them is from above. That's where, to me, the Guiding Arrow shines, turning immediately 90 degrees down with a flick of the control stick. Pit's 4 jumps also help with that. Piercing, I feel, would be quite useless in the mid- and high-level tournaments, and especially EVO.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Here's a good way to think about it, then. Let's say that Pit's "essential" sets are 1/3, 1, 1, 2/3.

This gives us a total 4 sets of 3112 3113 1112 1113

Now, if we want to give representation to Pit's more niche Custom Specials, we could take 3112/3113 as the priority sets and simply supplant a single niche special in, for two sets. And if any of the niche specials are considered unnecessary, you could always remove it in favor of a set with a better niche special and Palutena Bow.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that you could pick 3 out of 5 of these combos to round off your sets to completion:
Essential + Piercing Bow: 2112/2113
Essential Guiding Bow + Quickdash Arm: 3312/3313
Essential Palutena Bow + Quickdash Arm: 1312/1313
Essential Guiding Bow + Striking Flight: 3122/3123
Essential Palutena Bow + Striking Flight: 1122/1123

It's all a matter of deciding which niche Custom Specials are worth using, and which ones are not.

Last edited:

TIL

Smash Rookie
NNID
SDMdom
Yea I tested Impact a bit in training mode, it seems good offstage, and I can see why people prefer power of flight if taking that. But I'm still iffy about amp orbitars. His reflect game against campers just doesn't seem great to me. It seems niche toward power shots, like Samus B or MM fsmash. My friend mains MM, and half his stuff doesn't reach back, or isn't worth the time it takes to put the shield away.

TIL

Smash Rookie
NNID
SDMdom
Amplifying can't take as many melee hits before they're destroyed. Even this "weakness" doesn't seem so bad because now if you get hit you're not stuck having to put the orbitars away.
I missed this part. I'll have to take that into account

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Ugh, I'm sooo bad at this >_> But, let's go.

I agree that 1/3, 1, 1, 2/3 are essential.

I think another move could be added to the essential list, striking flight. It's hard to be more than lukewarm on it because it's still only useful as a recovery tool (too much startup to be used as an oos option). However, you gain the ability to stage spike on recovery and punish unsafe edgeguard attempts, at the cost of a small amount of vertical recovery and angling, and many Pit users (myself included) are willing to make this trade. At current time, the only stage where I miss the added recovery of default power of flight is Battlefield.

Now I'll talk about the niche moves, starting with the one I think is most useful.

Piercing Arrows: I originally started testing piercing arrows because of 3123 Duck Hunt. This set can zone with the clay pigeon and rule the midrange with the zigzag can while walling you out with the giant gunner. This set forces the Pit player to approach in most cases, which puts Duck Hunt at a considerable advantage. Having Piercing arrows allows the Pit player more options. To me, that’s the point of these arrows: zone breaking, especially when paired with the statues of CS. I'm also exploring these arrows vs Villager, since arrow followups are pocketable, and a few stronger arrow mixups can be very effective. I’m still not sure exactly which arrows I prefer in that MU, though.

Quickdash Arm: The primary benefit of this move is increased horizontal recovery. It becomes less effective than the default on-stage because it has more startup, deals less damage, and has less KO potential. The only stage where I would want this move is Lylat, where the ledge snap is finicky at best, and where crazy momentum games can be played by sliding onstage during a favorable stage tilt (neutral or tilted towards the recovering Pit). Pit can act during the last 3rd of the slide, allowing for sliding upsmashes or sliding uptilts (or full stop ftilts or fsmashes which can be pivoted). This isn’t as useful as it might sound, for a few reasons. The startup of the move hinders this option, as a competent opponent will have plenty of time to see, based on your position relative to the stage, whether you intend to sweet-spot the ledge or slide onstage. Also, Pit is vulnerable during the start of the slide, where he is stuck in landing lag. Lastly, I’ve found that during the actionable part of the slide, you’ve usually passed the opponent already; they aren’t likely to get hit by a sliding upsmash/uptilt by that point, though a pivot ftilt/fsmash might work if you read that they’ll pursue during your slide. It might also be possible to play momentum games from an edge cancelled quickdash, but I haven’t experimented with this much yet. Personally, I would not recommend this move for one of the niche sets, as I found it was too easily punished and finicky to be effective.

---

My recommended sets:

3122, 3123 (my preferred sets)
3112, 3113 (my Battlefield sets)

Other Essentials:

1122, 1123
1112, 1113

Niche:

211X. 212X (can replace one with a quickdash set if necessary—I’d recommend 332X or 132X)

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
3,1,1,3 for anyone with a projectile
3,1/2,1,2 for melee only Marth, DK, CF....
This is all I use. Electrocut really does help with rushdown characters but even then default can help cover rolls.

TIL

Smash Rookie
NNID
SDMdom
3,1,1,3 for anyone with a projectile
3,1/2,1,2 for melee only Marth, DK, CF....
This is all I use. Electrocut really does help with rushdown characters but even then default can help cover rolls.
I like the shields, I just remember how hyped everyone was for Pit/DP's default shield, and gimping with it. Did it get nerfed, is it bad for gimping, or do you just need to be good with it? I can see it being an option if it can still block out heavier hitbox recoveries, like Luigi's GreenMissile, but aside from that, do amplifying orbitars have the same amount of push?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This is EVO we're talking about... I don't think anybody will bother with the experimental U and F specials. Although Interception Arm may have a use: Intercepting recoveries. You'll just float in the place you used the move and essentially create a wall preventing others from recovering. Dunno if it's useful at all, and it's probably more useful on Pittwo, but it's something to keep in mind.

Ten sets... That's a lot for these two. For starters:

That covers every normal preference. After that, I don't think anybody will really care about what's left. So it's really just Quickdash, Interception, and Striking. We have four slots left between the two... Hm. Well, I know that DP's Bow customs are better then Pit's because they deal more damage with little to no trade-off, and Striking Flight does more damage on the evil twin too. Not sure about KB and stuff. Then there's the fact that Dark Pit's default arrows are pretty junky... Could just cut some 111X sets on him for some obscure stuff if you guys want.

Honestly, I'd try to get in touch with the Pit players who'll show up and ask them what they want. I mean, just because we come up with some obscure filler doesn't mean they'll like or use it. I'd be happy if one guy who was going to be there made a suggestion. At least then we'll have the potential of the set actually being used.

(And can we get a mod to merge the Angel's custom topics? It's silly to keep them separate.)

Rabspat

Smash Rookie
I personally think 3122 is a pretty vital set. The Guiding Bow provides Pit with a really lovely and versatile projectile that can be used in set-ups. The default upperdash arm is definitely the most well rounded of the three, as much as I tried to make Interception Arm work with its greater KO potential. Striking Flight does make Pit's recovery a little more predictable, but it also makes him notably riskier to edge guard because it can certainly stage spike people. The Impact Orbitars are extremely useful in match-ups where a reflector is just not needed, and I find myself even liking it for matches where the opponent has a projectile (because I don't think Guardian Orbitars or Amplifying Orbitars are that stellar as far as reflectors go anyway). It gives him a pretty scary gimping tool when you get right down to it. Overall, I believe the set is well rounded and it's the one I use the most.

Last edited:

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
I like the shields, I just remember how hyped everyone was for Pit/DP's default shield, and gimping with it. Did it get nerfed, is it bad for gimping, or do you just need to be good with it? I can see it being an option if it can still block out heavier hitbox recoveries, like Luigi's GreenMissile, but aside from that, do amplifying orbitars have the same amount of push?
No AO has no push unfortunately. You can still gimp with GO I usually never follow deep with it instead I go for aerials and of course if you have IO you can use that for reasons already stated

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
guys, guiding bow is slooooooow, you're only 100% safe when the foe is off-stage and this is where it shines, but I use arrows alot, and I feel paluetna's bow is just fine.

maybe guiding bow for DP works better

and I'm having trouble getting used to impact orbitars, Guardian Orbitars can save you from well-timed multiple aerials of Diddy kong while in the air, but certainly for matchups when you need to reflect, Amplifier all the way. deals tons of damage and kills really really early.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
This is EVO we're talking about... I don't think anybody will bother with the experimental U and F specials.
I agree about not using the experimental side specials, but I disagree on the custom up specials. I don't really like breezy flight, but I do quite like striking flight. It still works as a standard recovery option, you just trade a bit of flexibility on recovery for a potential stage spike. I'm willing to make that trade, especially since on a lot of the stages it's still blast zone/near blast zone to ledge recovery on many stages. Again, the few stages where I'd really prefer default power of flight are...like, BF.

Hm. Well, I know that DP's Bow customs are better then Pit's because they deal more damage with little to no trade-off
Not true. Pit's guiding arrows are fast enough, with a tight enough turning radius, that they can frame trap airdodges on tall characters (like Captain Falcon, or ZSS). DP's guiding arrows can't. They're too slow, with too wide a turning radius. The point of using Pit's guiding arrows is to set up traps that can lead into smashes, or to strike opponents from behind on recovery (hitting them from behind turns their character around which makes them WAY more likely to SD, unless they remember to b reverse their up+b), and while DP's arrows might be able to do similar things, it'll be tougher since they're not as flexible.

I might not be going to EVO, but I AM a Pit main that practices heavily with his custom moves. I use custom Pit at the weeklies I compete in, so I hope my opinion on these does count at least a little bit in the decision making process. I know not every Pit player is going to like the same customs I do, but I know what I like. It'll be nice when all this EVO nonsense is done, lol, and I can go back to properly lurking again. :p

---

I don't know what sets the powers that be will decide are best for Pit, but I know my favorite sets are:

3122 (<<< this especially)

with default up+b versions, and a smattering of piercing arrow sets for certain types of zoners. Mostly, if I were going to EVO, I'd want plenty of options with guiding arrows, and at least 1 piercing arrow set. I hope that makes the decision process easier. :)

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Not true. Pit's guiding arrows are fast enough, with a tight enough turning radius, that they can frame trap airdodges on tall characters (like Captain Falcon, or ZSS). DP's guiding arrows can't. They're too slow, with too wide a turning radius. The point of using Pit's guiding arrows is to set up traps that can lead into smashes, or to strike opponents from behind on recovery (hitting them from behind turns their character around which makes them WAY more likely to SD, unless they remember to b reverse their up+b), and while DP's arrows might be able to do similar things, it'll be tougher since they're not as flexible.
Pit's Guiding Bow can frame trap ZSS and Captain Falcon, but Dark Pit's can't? That's something I should look into... If I had the time, the non-crappy internet, and somebody to experiment with.

Making people SD like that sounds pretty devious, but most people angle their Uspecials anyway. It's extra safety and for most characters it gives them slighty more distance. With Marth's I know it makes a noticeable difference.

I thought DP's arrows were physically faster? Although that would make certain things harder...

Well, if I were you, I'd sink some more time into DP's Guiding Bow and see if it's just you being used to Pit's messing things up. This is pretty important info, but ultimately I don't see cutting the current Guiding Bow sets on either of 'em.

TIL

Smash Rookie
NNID
SDMdom
No AO has no push unfortunately. You can still gimp with GO I usually never follow deep with it instead I go for aerials and of course if you have IO you can use that for reasons already stated
So in conclusion, all the shields are a little bit niche, but the 2 niches that IO and AO fill are more often useful than GO? Makes sense, I was just hoping there were no huge benefits of GO being left out. I was thinking along the lines of gimping a Diddy recovery, for example, but I suppose IO and Guiding Bow can handle that. Thanks for your input.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Got ahold of a GC adaptor and have some Wavebirds, so I can go all Ice Climbers and compare the custom moves' frame data.

But first, I've discovered that DP's bow customs can be charged longer and that frame data is the same outside of that.

Default vs Guiding, Guiding fires a few frames sooner but has noticeably more endlag. Piercing is obviously slower.

Electroshock and Quickshock have roughly the same endlag, but it's hard to tell because of the start-up. Interception is overall longer then default. Testing lag on hit is difficult...

Power = Striking >>>>>> Breezy in terms of lag when hitting the ground.

Guardian and Amplifing have equal start-up but Guardian wins in end-lag. Amplifing can be held out much longer. Impact has noticeably more start-up and similar end-lag to default, but has to be "held out" for a moment making it slower then the shortest default.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
C/Ping from DP's...

Got ahold of a GC adaptor and have some Wavebirds, so I can go all Ice Climbers and compare the custom moves' frame data.

But first, I've discovered that DP's bow customs can be charged longer and that frame data is the same outside of that.

Default vs Guiding, Guiding fires a few frames sooner but has noticeably more endlag. Piercing is obviously slower.

Electroshock and Quickshock have roughly the same endlag, but it's hard to tell because of the start-up. Interception is overall longer then default. Testing lag on hit is difficult...

Power = Striking >>>>>> Breezy in terms of lag when hitting the ground.

Guardian and Amplifing have equal start-up but Guardian wins in end-lag. Amplifing can be held out much longer. Impact has noticeably more start-up and similar end-lag to default, but has to be "held out" for a moment making it slower then the shortest default.

SilverWolfLaguz

Smash Journeyman
Bum****, FL (Heart forever in Massachusetts)
NNID
Dante_Galileo
Checking the Smash Wiki and the forums, I've noticed that for customs, Pit isn't allowed to use the Interception Arm special, just the plain Upperdash and Quickdash. I'm just curious as to why this is the case. (It's no Kong Cyclone or Heavy Skull Bash for sure)

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
Unless I'm horribly mistaken, it's not a matter of it being too good, but quite the opposite-- it isn't a choice because it's not a very good move. There wasn't enough call for it to be in one of the ten custom layouts, so it isn't.

SilverWolfLaguz

Smash Journeyman
Bum****, FL (Heart forever in Massachusetts)
NNID
Dante_Galileo
Ah, that does make sense. I never really liked the move- my mind thinks that counterattacks should always be Down-B (cue Orbitars when I don't need them), and I feel the slight power increase isn't worth the lack of mobility. Thanks for answering!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Hm, there's been some theory that it'd be good for edge guarding since you can just float there with armor, but it hasn't really been considered since they're so good at it already.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Hm, there's been some theory that it'd be good for edge guarding since you can just float there with armor, but it hasn't really been considered since they're so good at it already.
How so? as far as I'm concerned whiffing it offstage is pretty much death.

Btw, MMZ (and its music) was the best I miss that game :')

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
How so? as far as I'm concerned whiffing it offstage is pretty much death.

Btw, MMZ (and its music) was the best I miss that game :')
But if you aim inward and hit, they're pretty much dead. And I think you can go deeper in with it... Or it's just 3DS blastzones again.

And you need to look up the hidden tracks if you haven't already. Eperanto Mythos is god-tier.

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
But if you aim inward and hit, they're pretty much dead. And I think you can go deeper in with it... Or it's just 3DS blastzones again.

And you need to look up the hidden tracks if you haven't already. Eperanto Mythos is god-tier.
We tech those.....oh well

Mythos remixes are amazing, I hate capcom for killing off the series but at least they left us some great tracks.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
So if I hit someone with an electric attack, that makes them more vulnerable to follow-up attacks?

Appreciate your write-up on rolling, btw. My game has improved a lot very quickly as I've been cutting down the habit.
Hitlag, not hitstun. Hitstun is the frames that an opponent can't do anything after being hit, hitlag is the freeze frames that occur when you connect with a hit.

Edit: Some further reading on the subject: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Hitlag

Last edited:

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Hitlag, not hitstun. Hitstun is the frames that an opponent can't do anything after being hit, hitlag is the freeze frames that occur when you connect with a hit.

Edit: Some further reading on the subject: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Hitlag
So what I'm gathering from this is that the concept of hitlag is really only effective in melee smashes?

At least in the case of the Electroshock Arm. I can see how, for example, on Ness's PKT, the tail of the PKT could zap an opponent and slow him down just enough for Ness to land an awesome PKT2 for the kill. But for Dark Pit, the electric properties don't take affect until after the hit, in which the knockback sends the opponent so far away you can't really follow up.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So after Evo I know they'll be talking about a new custom moveset project list. I'm coming to the DP board specifically to humbly ask if you guys could reserve a slot for 1122 for me this go around. I don't want to sound like I'm demanding it but I thought it was worth asking for several reasons:

1) according to AA, both the pit and dark pit threads for customs have been very small, so I don't feel like I'd be taking a slot away from the community or someone who really wanted their specific moveset.

2) Most people tend to play both pit and dark pit simultaneously and their customs in the Evo sets are the exact same (same for marth/lucina but not entirely for Mario/doc because of the different down specials). I can play Pit but I much prefer dark pit because he matches my playstyle better and again, I would only be taking up one slot. If someone who played as both characters wanted to use a different set there's an extra slot for pit that I wouldn't be using.

As I said earlier, I have noticed good things with this particular setup for me and I'd like to have it as easily available for tournaments as possible as well as for other people to test. If it doesn't work out it's not a big deal as I can work with default and 1112 in the Evo sets or just import my own, since if I'm not mistaken filling up all 10 slots was just for Evo. Thanks for at least hearing me out.

Ps: I tried 3121 but I can't stand guiding bow's ending lag so I prefer his regular neutral special.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
1122... That's a custom Uspecial right? Well, it depends on if we're going to fill all ten sets or essentially just six of them. Or whatever they're going to do. I mean, I was thinking we were going to purge the 1XXX sets because everybody says they're junk.

Top Bottom